Would You Call This A Geocache

Anyone here ever hear of a poker run? If not a poker run is a card game where you travel around to various locations and select a card from a deck of cards and whatever you select becomes you hand. The person with the highest hand is the winner.

Having done some poker runs in the past I thought it would be cool to create a mystery cache that would be completed while Geocaching. I bought the 5 decks of cards, contacted 4 local cache owners and obtained their permission to place a deck of cards in their caches. Drive 25 miles or so to deposit the decks of cards. Submit the new cache listing only to have it disapproved because it is not what the reviewer considered a Geocache.

Please review the description of a Mystery Cache Mystery Cache Description and answer the following question:

Do you consider my idea to be a Geocache or not?

Zack

Zack

Could you possibly post an extract of your cache description? It's difficult to be objective without all the relevant facts.

How are you going to determine the "winning hand" for instance. What will prevent the first cacher to rush out and visit all the caches to obtain the highest cards?

There are quite a few questions hanging in the air that could've influenced the approver.

Cheers

The winner of the 2003 Best Event Cache in Austin was GCH3H5 - Austin Geopoker Run by Essiar. Read the cache page for some ideas. Essiar solved many of the problems you will encounter. You could contact him for more details, I'm sure he'd be glad to share. Also see GCHRKM - Austin Geopoker Run - 2nd Edition by Essiar.

Having attended both events (and been on the winning team for the 2nd) I can say each was the best event ever. I still have scars from the first one. Definitely a caching event and the most fun you can have caching. The creativity level was very high on the hides. No one got a photo of the winning hide (there was a second contest running on who had the most creative hide) but imagine a picnic table under one of those metal awnings in a largely abandoned park (it was overcast and drizzly that day). The picnic table was covered in a red checkered vinyl tablecloth, there were kid toys scattered around (a big-wheel, some other large toys), there was a bucket of chicken and some other picnic items on the top of the table, utensils and napkins and plates, and next to the table on the ground was a cooler full of ice and cokes. You had to be crazy enough to invade someones picnic lunch spot, then you had to open the cooler, reach under the cokes to find the 'cache' which was an envelope full of cards.

Anyway, you could probably adapt the rules from this event to fit your game, or you could make your cache an event cache and it could work out just like Essiar's.

Edited by lowracer

We really need details. If it's just going around picking up cards from other peoples caches, then no it's not a geocache. If there is some sort of puzzle involving the cards, and solving it leads you to a new cache with a logbook you placed, then it sounds like it could be workable as a cache.

Geowoodstock2 had a poker run as part of the event. Each stop was a unique cache with a log book. Seven of the eleven contained a bag of single colored chips.

When you returned to the shelter you swapped your chips for cards.

Highest hand won the grand prize of a new GPSr.

Just one way to make it work.

Zack,

If you are up for a little game of poker, why not set out your own caches and start them off as a poker game?--like this series here that my husband and I recently enjoyed.

Ante Cache

The Turn

The River

Since the three caches remain after the poker game is over, they are 'real' caches and not an event. I am not sure how game you had in mind was supposed to work--(What is to keep some ONE person from going out immediately and getting the ultimate hand, making it pointless for anyone else to play?)--but this set-up worked very well. Only the dealer knew who had what hand....the trash-talking was great fun.

And the caches are still terrific places to visit--worthwhile in their own right, even if you weren't playing the game.

kayaker22589 Posted on Aug 19 2004, 04:36 PM

OOOHHH OOOHHH good idea. Take a bunch of card decks. Put a bunch of the same number in the different caches. Then the people have to put the cards together to get the coords. 

Yesss, I can see that working. Neat idea!