Pocket Query Real Names

Team GeoDillo

Jeremy...

Can you please change the pocket query names to reflect the real name of the pocket query? I realize that the current numbering system is needed to keep them unique, but how hard would it be to append the name to the number (MY_CITY_38255.gpx) or ideally just have the real name (MY_CITY.gpx)?

I know you've got more important things to work on, but can you please put it on the to-do list? :laughing:

Thanks...

Scott

Wow, what timing! I had just mentioned this (again) to some people myself last night.

my_unfound.gpx is a lot easier to work with then 12345.gpx. I try to remember to rename them as soon as I unzip them, because once you delete the original email it was attached to, there is no easy way to know what PQ it was.

Wow, what timing! I had just mentioned this (again) to some people myself last night.

my_unfound.gpx is a lot easier to work with then 12345.gpx. I try to remember to rename them as soon as I unzip them, because once you delete the original email it was attached to, there is no easy way to know what PQ it was.

sounds like a good idea to me too -

but Mopar - if you use GSAK you can open a temp. data base to dump them into.

I keep a data base called Temp-Test where I dump stuff from the gps since you can't choose what to download - and to look at the PQ's before I load them into my real data base.

Edited by CompuCash

Well, I presume I'm using the PQs like most geocachers; not to maintain my own version of GC.com's database, but rather to load waypoints and cache descriptions into my GPS, PDA, mapping software, and laptop.

Opening temp databases and resaving PQs under a different name is no easier then just renaming the PQ filename. I'm not interested in stale data (expect for the PQ of my finds) so I'm perfectly fine with deleting/overwiting an older PQ.

Of course, since I already renamed the previous PQ to something meaningful, I currently have to unzip the new one, delete the old one, and then rename the new one. A minor PITA (that I could probably script if I felt like it).

Presently there is no way except the email subject to know that 48740.gpx is my local unfound caches. Once I've unzipped the attachment and deleted the email there is no way to know what that PQ was for. I can't even go back to the PQ page find out what PQ parameters #48740 is. Now, local_unfound.gpx I know, even local_unfound.48740.gpx would be fine.

Yep, I'm using pocket queries for loading waypoints into the GPSr and cache info into the Palm. Since the pocket queries come with a meaningless numerical name, I have set up about 10 separate folders with the names of the queries. So when I get a new query, I have to locate the proper folder and then over-write the existing pocket query file. Next time a different pocket query comes in, I have to navigate back out of that folder, and into the correct folder. Then when I want to load/update info in GSAK, I have to go find the correct folder for the database I'm using. If it's different from the last import, then I have to navigate back out of that folder, into another folder to find the right file.

If the pocket queries had REAL names, I'd be able to just save all the pocket queries into the same folder. Opening/updating info in GSAK would be much easier too because I would just have everything in one folder and could choose which file I need simply by the name of the GPX file. No need for 10 folders. The point is, that we all have to do some work around because the current names are meaningless to the end users, us.

Like I said before, it seems pretty simple for Jeremy to do. I mean, the name of the pocket query is in the subject line of the email that is sent with each query. How hard could it be to add the pocket query name to the GPS file (or use it instead)?

I appreciate all the great changes that have been made on the site. Jeremy is pretty responsive to stuff like this, it's probably just a matter of feeding the right gerbil to generate the code. :tired:

Scott

Charter Member

Hmm... It sounds like (to me) you're making work for yourselves. GSAK will handle unzipping the file for you - just drag and drop, so why unzip and save. I use Outlook Express, and it allows me to set up message rules that will automatically put e-mails in various folders. I don't have that many PQs, so I'm just using one folder. But it wouldn't be that hard to set up so each PQ goes into a named (the PQ name) folder. For backup, don't erase the e-mail until the next PQ of that name arrives (or how ever many generations of backup you want).

Using multi databases with GSAK save any navigating in and out of folders. Open e-mail, right click on attached file name, drag to GSAK and drop. Chose the database you want, and let the program do the work.

I am using GSAK to maintain my team's gpx data and it would help me for the file name to be the name of the query. That would help in getting the right data into the right database in GSAK, as well as in managing the attachment folder of my e-mail. It's not a really big deal, but it would be nice.

There is no need to have the names unique because e-mail clients automatically make attachements unique. But if some sort of number is appended, then I would rather have that be the number of times the query has run (or the day of the year of the run).

It may not be as hard as you think to keep track by the number GC asigns. From what I've seen there are digits that remain the same every time that query is sent.

Example 12360, 123601, 123602, etc.

My home area query is 8128. The next was 82181, then 82182, etc.

Look at your numbers to see if I'm correct.

Byron

Byron & Anne, if your PQ's are incrementing their file names for you, that must be something in your e-mail or file management settings. Mine stay the same every time. I've taken to memorizing my most-used queries. 5239 is my home area query number and it is 5239 every time I open the e-mail. Would that it could say Nearest_Home5239.gpx

Byron & Anne, if your PQ's are incrementing their file names for you, that must be something in your e-mail or file management settings. Mine stay the same every time. I've taken to memorizing my most-used queries. 5239 is my home area query number and it is 5239 every time I open the e-mail. Would that it could say Nearest_Home5239.gpx

Ahhh yes. You're so right. If I delete all that are saved as attachments the sequencing starts over. (I should have known that, Duh).

I need to find a regular expression to make sure they are valid file names. Once I figure this out I'll create an additional field where you can enter your own filename (minus the *.gpx extension). Once it checks to make sure it is a valid file name I'll have the pocket query generate that file and send it instead.

I need to find a regular expression to make sure they are valid file names. Once I figure this out I'll create an additional field where you can enter your own filename (minus the *.gpx extension). Once it checks to make sure it is a valid file name I'll have the pocket query generate that file and send it instead.

Valid file names for what target? Hint: it's not the same for all operating systems...A UNIX system will gladly gobble up fnames that will choke a Windows system. Even a single OS will often have different namespaces for different filesystem types. What's legal on your flash dongle formatted with lame-o DOS 8.3 FAT may or may not be legal on your network's NFS mounts.

Explain where you think the bar should be set and there are enough programmers around here to help...

I'd suggest stripping out anything that is non alpha-numeric and prefixing it with the PQ number perhaps?

That's great - always wondered why it wasn't more user friendly.

I think a name that allows A-Z, a-z, 0-9 and the _ (underscore) and - (hyphen)characters should work on any OS.

Make it up to 32 characters in length. DOS would, if anyone still uses it, truncate it to the 1st 8 I think, so the person would need to know to, if they had a reason to keep them in the same directory, make the 1st 8 unique. I think Windows and *nix wouldn't have an issue with the length and characters.

David

this really is not a needed feature for me, and i am sure some others. I just save my attachments and a shell script i wrote renames the file to something more sensible and then converts it to cachemate format.

there are fairly simple ways to workaround this if it an issue for you untill jeremy fixes it.

the following is what my rename script looks like. If you are on a *nix type system you can just make a couple simple edits to your file names/numbers and use this in the terminal to do stuff. I know i could do better, but it works so i don't feel the need to fix it. If you upgrade this and edit it it to run better let me know.

#!/bin/sh

cd ~/Bin/gpx/files/ #change into the files directory with all the gpx files

#the following are the file names and variables i use for gpx files

oldfolder="../old/pq-files/"

dayte=""`date "+%m:%d:%y-%H%M%Z" | tr -d '/n'`"";

tstamp=$oldfolder$dayte/

mkdir -p $tstamp

echo it currently is $dayte, your old pdb and gpx files will be moved to $tstamp

#echo -n "`date | tr -d '/n'`";

PQnotfound="206.gpx" 
PQfound="38426.gpx"
PQplaced="7605.gpx"
PQnotactive="46904.gpx"
PQlocationless="38425.gpx"
PQevent="49351.gpx"
PQwebcam="64049.gpx"
PQoregon1="64765.gpx"
PQoregon2="64773.gpx"
PQoregon3="64776.gpx"
PQoregon4="64778.gpx"
PQoregon5="64795.gpx"
PQoregon6="64799.gpx"
PQoregon7="84744.gpx"
PQnotfoundca500="64889.gpx"

GPXnotfound="PQ-notfoundcaches.gpx"
GPXfound="PQ-foundcaches.gpx"
GPXplaced="PQ-placedcaches.gpx"
GPXnotactive="PQ-notactivecaches.gpx"
GPXlocationless="PQ-locationless.gpx"
GPXevent="PQ-event.gpx"
GPXwebcam="PQ-webcam.gpx"
GPXoregon1="PQ-oregon1.gpx"
GPXoregon2="PQ-oregon2.gpx"
GPXoregon3="PQ-oregon3.gpx"
GPXoregon4="PQ-oregon4.gpx"
GPXoregon5="PQ-oregon5.gpx"
GPXoregon6="PQ-oregon6.gpx"
GPXoregon7="PQ-oregon7.gpx"
GPXnotfoundca500="PQ-notfound-500CA.gpx"

PQtypefile=$PQnotfound
RENAMEfile=$GPXnotfound

if [ -w $PQtypefile ]; then #determine if our gpx file are as they should be and
if [ -a $RENAMEfile ]; then #test if renamed file exists
 echo $RENAMEfile already exists #telling you what i did
 mv $RENAMEfile $tstamp$RENAMEfile #moving existing file to OLD folder
 	echo moving old $RENAMEfile to $tstamp$RENAMEfile #telling you what i did
fi
mv $PQtypefile $RENAMEfile #renaming the PQ file to something more meaningful
echo renamed $PQtypefile to $RENAMEfile #telling you what i did
fi

PQtypefile=$PQfound
RENAMEfile=$GPXfound

if [ -w $PQtypefile ]; then #determine if our gpx file are as they should be and
fi
fi

PQtypefile=$PQplaced
RENAMEfile=$GPXplaced

fi
fi

PQtypefile=$PQnotactive
RENAMEfile=$GPXnotactive

fi
fi

PQtypefile=$PQlocationless
RENAMEfile=$GPXlocationless

fi
fi

PQtypefile=$PQevent
RENAMEfile=$GPXevent

fi
fi

PQtypefile=$PQwebcam
RENAMEfile=$GPXwebcam

fi
fi

PQtypefile=$PQoregon1
RENAMEfile=$GPXoregon1

fi
fi

PQtypefile=$PQoregon2
RENAMEfile=$GPXoregon2

fi
fi

PQtypefile=$PQoregon3
RENAMEfile=$GPXoregon3

fi
fi

PQtypefile=$PQoregon4
RENAMEfile=$GPXoregon4

fi
fi

PQtypefile=$PQoregon5
RENAMEfile=$GPXoregon5

fi
fi

PQtypefile=$PQoregon6
RENAMEfile=$GPXoregon6

fi
fi

PQtypefile=$PQoregon7
RENAMEfile=$GPXoregon7

fi
fi

PQtypefile=$PQnotfoundca500
RENAMEfile=$GPXnotfoundca500

fi
fi

#zippng the archives

cd $oldfolder
zap=".zip"
zip -r $dayte$zap $dayte/ #zipping the archive
if [ -w $dayte$zap ];  then #making sure it worked
rm -rf $dayte #removing the originals in the old folder
fi

exit

save as something like gpxrename.sh and then cd to the folder and run the script. if this scares you you may want to wait for jeremy to make the new feature.

I think a name that allows A-Z, a-z, 0-9 and the _ (underscore) and - (hyphen)characters should work on any OS.

I like this. It's a pretty straightforward regular expression.

I like ralann's code... not so much. Good idea but the folks clamoring for this probably doesn't know what the heck you're talking about :blink:

Jeremy,

In the PQs you trust us to give you an e-mail address that works; Why not just let us enter a filename that appeals to us. Then in the submit process, do a check and strip out any problem characters to make it a valid filename on the server. If someone leaves a field blank, then assign the name that you use now. This makes it completely backwards compatible.

I like this. It's a pretty straightforward regular expression.

That would be OK for *nix (and erro, OS/X), too. But the folks living outside the world representable in ASCII may disagree.

I like ralann's code... not so much.

Well, I DO program with that tool and am not wild about it, but it does solve a problem for him. (Helpful Hints to ralann: any time you see that much repetition in an program, you've taken a wrong step. subroutines with arguments are your friend. :-) and $(formail -xSubject: < ${TMPDIR}/inputf | sed 's/^.*\[GEO\] Pocket Query

: //') is even more your friend - it will return the name of the PQ based on the subject line.)

(Helpful Hints to ralann: any time you see that much repetition in an program, you've taken a wrong step. subroutines with arguments are your friend. :-) and $(formail -xSubject: < ${TMPDIR}/inputf | sed 's/^.*\[GEO\] Pocket Query

: //') is even more your friend - it will return the name of the PQ based on the subject line.)

I do know that, but it was a 2 repeat step to start with then I did a bad thing when we got more PQ's and it grew out of control. It is a botch I do admit, but it works so untill i feel the need it will stay. I actually have some ideas that would make it work much better and simpler. and potentialy be portable to other users with virtually no mods.... that makes me think...

How about this:

#!/huh/what?

IF {Team_GeoDillo has no freaking clue what the heck that code is}

THEN {We'll wait for Jeremy to make the change}

AND {thank him for his ongoing support}

END

:blink:

BTW...allowing just regular letters and numbers will probably suit everyone just fine.

Jeremy...

Can you please change the pocket query names to reflect the real name of the pocket query?  I realize that the current numbering system is needed to keep them unique, but how hard would it be to append the name to the number (MY_CITY_38255.gpx) or ideally just have the real name (MY_CITY.gpx)?

I know you've got more important things to work on, but can you please put it on the to-do list?    :blink:

Thanks...

Scott

I have an Outlook Macro that does this for me. I carefully name my queries so that the subject of the message the PQ is attached to will be a legal file name and the Macro takes care of it for me.

Public Sub GetAttachments()
On Error GoTo GetAttachments_err

Dim ns As NameSpace
Dim Inbox As MAPIFolder
Dim SubFolder As MAPIFolder
Dim Item As Object
Dim Atmt As Attachment
Dim FileName As String
Dim i As Integer

Set ns = GetNamespace("MAPI")
Set Inbox = ns.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox)
Set SubFolder = Inbox.Folders("Pocket Querys")

If SubFolder.Items.Count = 0 Then
  MsgBox "There are no messages in the Pocket Query Folder.", vbInformation, "Nothing Found"
  Exit Sub
End If

i = 0
For Each Item In SubFolder.Items
   For Each Atmt In Item.Attachments
     If (Right(Atmt.FileName, 3) = "zip") And (Left(Item.Subject, 20) = "[GEO] Pocket Query: ") Then
       FileName = "C:\My Documents\Geocaching\GPX\" & Mid(Item.Subject, 21,255) & ".zip"
       Atmt.SaveAsFile FileName
       Item.Delete
       i = i + 1
     End If
   Next Atmt
Next Item

If i > 0 Then
   MsgBox "I found " & i & " attached files." _
      & vbCrLf & "I have saved them into the E:\Geocaching\GPX" _
      & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Have a nice day.", vbInformation, "Finished!"  Else
   MsgBox "I didn't find any attached files in your mail.", vbInformation,  "Finished!"
End If

GetAttachments_exit:
  Set Atmt = Nothing
  Set Item = Nothing
  Set ns = Nothing
  Exit Sub

GetAttachments_err:
  MsgBox "An unexpected error has occurred." _
     & vbCrLf & "Please note and report the following information." _
     & vbCrLf & "Macro Name: GetAttachments" _
     & vbCrLf & "Error Number: " & Err.Number _
     & vbCrLf & "Error Description: " & Err.Description, vbCritical, "Error!"
  Resume GetAttachments_exit
End Sub

Edited by Right Wing Wacko
OK Right Wing Wacko....how do I go about installing this macro of your? Is there anything I need to change in Outlook like the folder name? Does it matter if I have a rule that puts the pocket queries into their own folder first?

You'll have to scan my code for the things to change but:

1. My Macro assumes that the PQ's are in a Subfolder of Inbox called "Pocket Queries" It's easy to change this

2. It puts the attachments in a "C:\My Documents\Geocaching\GPS", again something easy to change.

(Note there is an error in the box that tells you where it but them that I didnt notice until after I posted it.

... having meaningful text for a filename would be much easier to handle.

Hear! Hear!

In case you're counting votes, count me in favor of meaningful file names (as you indicated you would look into a few months ago).

(as you indicated you would look into a few months ago).

Yes. Dave lets all scream really loud until the Groundspeak team drops all the work they are doing on the servers and the rest of the project to complete the usable name feature for PQ's

That makes a lot of sense.

Can you say Priorities?????

Edited by Lapaglia

If you look back at the very first post, I said that it seems an easy change to make and I realize that there are other things that have to be done first (like PRIORITIES) but could it be added to "the list".

Jeremy came along and said he could probably make that change and just needed a way to validate the filename. Several People made suggestions and it sounded as if Jeremy liked one of those suggestion and would go ahead and implement it.

Then, months go by with no more posts and no progress toward this issue. I decided to simply post a question as to whether Jeremy has changed his mind and is not going to do it, or is it just on the back burner?

Jeez guys, don't get your panties in a wad over this. It's a simply request and simple question.

If you look back at the very first post, I said that it seems an easy change to make and I realize that there are other things that have to be done first (like PRIORITIES) but could it be added to "the list".

Jeremy came along and said he could probably make that change and just needed a way to validate the filename. Several People made suggestions and it sounded as if Jeremy liked one of those suggestion and would go ahead and implement it.

Then, months go by with no more posts and no progress toward this issue.  I decided to simply post a question as to whether Jeremy has changed his mind and is not going to do it, or is it just on the back burner? 

Jeez guys, don't get your panties in a wad over this. It's a simply request and simple question.

If you will re-read my post you will see that I was responding to the person I quoted, nittany dave, and not you. I was not impling there was anything wrong with your posts. Sorry if it came across that way.

<_<

Edited by Lapaglia
... having meaningful text for a filename would be much easier to handle.

Hear! Hear!

In case you're counting votes, count me in favor of meaningful file names (as you indicated you would look into a few months ago).

(as you indicated you would look into a few months ago).

Yes. Dave lets all scream really loud until the Groundspeak team drops all the work they are doing on the servers and the rest of the project to complete the usable name feature for PQ's

That makes a lot of sense.

Can you say Priorities?????

Wow, who peed in your cereal this morning?

I wasn't screaming and I didn't say or imply that they should drop everything. You sure like to read volumes between the lines. As a matter of fact, you seem to be the one screaming - in bright red ink for extra emphasis it would seem.

I was referring to an earlier post by Jeremy that seemed to indicate it would be a simple thing to do.

I believe Jeremy (or Elias or someone else that I can't remember) has said that they will often knock out a quick change while working on other priorities for a change of pace.

Gentle ping...

Jeremy had indicated at one point that adding the PQ name to the Description field of the GPX file would be a trivial change. Is there any progress on this? I know that there are many competing priorities, but now that the new servers are in, perhaps this frequently-requested simple change could be bumped up.

I'd be glad to provide an application (or Perl script) that would rename the PQ file to the PQ name using that information. That would probably be sufficient to meet everyone's needs, without any fancy file-name validation on your end.