Why Is It So Hard To Get Some Caches Approved

Scouter John

All evidence to the contrary.

Starting to sound a bit "confrontational"...

I never stated that people were NOT allowed in a thread I started, I merely questioned the RELEVANCE of a cacher in Kansas (for instance) commenting on a Canadian issue, when they likely have no idea of the terrain, effort, distance, etc...

Sorry, but if I read a thread about some guy in Botswana complaining about a cache or a reviewer, there is NO WAY that I would try sticking my nose into the fray when I have no idea about:

a - The cacher's history

b - The reviewer's history

c - The cache itself

d - The country where it is hidden

e - The area it is hidden

f - Any special rules or variances that may apply.

But that's just "me".... :tired:

I know you were simply using me as an example, and that's ok. But, in my defense, I commented in that thread not based on the region involved or the people involved. I read the first post, and the subsequent screenshots of the conversation, and my responses were justified and on-topic to that post. I didn't need to understand any of the topographic or demographic information regarding the cache or cacher. Nothing in my responses related to that. I responded to the issue itself and the discussion of the alleged "slights". That part of the issue had no bearing on location, or the people involved. That had nothing to do with it being a "Canadian" issue, and the terrain, distance, etc., had no relevance to the reasons for my replies. It would have been no different if it were in Canada, Kansas, or Botswana. :tired:

I knew I shouldn't have used "Kansas" as a for instance... :tired:

However, you WERE the one who offered to make the popcorn!

The issue (in THAT thread) was the denial of the cache based on an arbitrary "limit" that was at the SOLE DISCRETION of the approver, who implied that I was lying about my ability to maintain said cache. The thread was the culmination of a week's worth of frustration, and the comments didn't help to de-fuse it.

The baits and name-calling (MYSELF included!) took the thread into all sorts of directions.

The region and location are VERY pertinent to the discussion relating to the denial of this cache. As it has been pointed out, 150 miles is NOTHING to me, although it could be a termendous obstacle for someone in an area that isn't as wide open as where this cache is!

Then, as I see it, I am still FREE to complain about other people butting in where they don't belong, correct?
Absolutely. Except you just finished agreeing that anyone and everyone belongs.

Do you honestly think eryone here @ the gc.com forums is "targetting" your threads for "intrusion" or something........ 

No, you probably came to this conclusion as you did on the FIRST item above. What I HAVE noticed though is that although people say they "welcome new ideas or comments" they don't necessarily mean it. Are you suggesting that the thread in question didn't turn into a swarming/pack-attack because I made some comments regarding what I preceived to be an injustice? Who had the nice big bull's-eye painted on their name?

The person who it was painted by did. Though they tried (seemingly unsuccessfully) to paint it on an approver.

Case in point...the above comment was made specifically to Ambrosia, yet you found it necessary to answer it in his/her stead.
Your right I definately did. And is anyone upset about it except for you? So far no, likely because it's a free for all :tired: Would it matter if they did? Likely not because as you've already pointed out it's kinda hard to have a private discussion in public. Plus I haven't kept them from answering if they choose to and I haven't attempted to impersonate them. I simple answered a question possed in public.

Thorin

Edited by thorin

It's one thing to qualify your butting into someone else's discussion as some sort of right of public domain, (manners and courtesy aside) but the issue of credibility comes into play.

Here you are, barely four months into this "game"...and by your own admission, WITHOUT A SINGLE CACHE of your own...and you throw yourself into a discussion about CACHE APPROVAL or CACHE PLACEMENT? Can you see the irony?

I can do NOTHING about your incessant chirping, but if you continue to do so...on topics you cannot relate to...then don't be surprised if your opinion is considered as invalid!

Edited by Team MJDJ
It's one thing to qualify your butting into someone else's discussion as some sort of right of public domain, (manners and courtesy aside) but the issue of credibility comes into play.
The question I replied to had nothing to do with cache placement or approval.
Here you are, barely four months into this "game"...and by your own admission, WITHOUT A SINGLE CACHE of your own...and you throw yourself into a discussion about CACHE APPROVAL or CACHE PLACEMENT?
What's your question?
Can you see the irony?
No I don't see any irony in that. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to read the guidelines and take part in a few discussion and see how things work. I don't recall anyone stating that personal experience was a requirement for voicing opinion on the forums.
I can do NOTHING about your incessant chirping, but if you continue to do so...on topics you cannot relate to...then don't be surprised if your opinion is considered as invalid!
Again the only person so far that feels my opinion is invalid is you. If you feel I cannot relate to the topic then simply ignore my posts, I couldn't care less if you read them or not. Though I'm quoting you (and others) my comments are directed to the group/discussion/community. Please feel free to ignore me like you do people in restaurants.

Thorin

Edited: For ease of reading and typos.

Edited by thorin

Please remember the Forum Guidelines and keep on track of the topic.

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

The same goes for a cachers Finds/Hides, this not something to judge a cachers opinion on, everyone is welcome to participate in a discussion.

Thank you.

On Topic "Why Is It So Hard To Get Some Caches Approved"

There seem to be a few reasons that people are having a hard time with approvals.

1) Approvers are human, and voluntary.

2) Hiders are human.

3) We have guidelines (some firmly stated some not).

4) They're guildelines not rules.

5) People always try to bend the guidelines (and or rules).

6) Non face to face communication is always harder then in person communication.

7) Partial anonymity causes people to do/think/say etc things they might not normally.

Thorin

I know that it is OT, but I just have to say that there is no reason for me to respond to MJDJ, because I feel that Thorin answered much better than I could have.

On topic- sure, some caches seem to get approved right away, and some do not. I have had 20 caches approved, and about 4 not. (Not sure on my statistics.) It's just the way it is. I have learned to accept it, go on, and have fun caching!

The question I replied to had nothing to do with cache placement or approval.
I made the comment in regards to that "other" thread...

No I don't see any irony in that. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to read the guidelines and take part in a few discussion and see how things work. I don't recall anyone stating that personal experience was a requirement for voicing opinion on the forums.

Manners be damned?

If you feel I cannot relate to the topic then simply ignore my posts...

Deal...and from this moment forward, please ignore my posts, topics and threads as well.

Now maybe I'll go butt into a conversation with some local Neuro-Surgeons!

Edited by Team MJDJ
I knew I shouldn't have used "Kansas" as a for instance... :tired:

However, you WERE the one who offered to make the popcorn!

The issue (in THAT thread) was the denial of the cache based on an arbitrary "limit" that was at the SOLE DISCRETION of the approver, who implied that I was lying about my ability to maintain said cache. The thread was the culmination of a week's worth of frustration, and the comments didn't help to de-fuse it.

The baits and name-calling (MYSELF included!) took the thread into all sorts of directions.

The region and location are VERY pertinent to the discussion relating to the denial of this cache. As it has been pointed out, 150 miles is NOTHING to me, although it could be a termendous obstacle for someone in an area that isn't as wide open as where this cache is!

Still two points I have to argue.

1. I did not offer to make the popcorn, I said it was already made.

2. No, the region still has nothing to do with the actual discussion. I know how to relate the difference in size and distance of an area to my own. Even here in Kansas, 150 miles is a questionable distance for cache maintanence, however, I have places that I travel to every couple of months (as opposed to once a year) that are over 150 miles away. The discussion and thread were tainted by the disrespectful nature of your opening post and others that followed, however, I still got the general idea of what you were getting at. It had very little to do with the cache itself (by your own admission), and more to do with your perceived slights by the approver. Even by ignoring the tone and comments about these perceived slights, the discussion itself was one that anybody could relate to, regardless of the distance or size of the area. That argument isn't holding water, and again you are trying to remove people from this discussion under the guise of "not being local" and having no understanding of the area, when in fact, it's seeming more and more that you just don't want to hear arguments against your case.

1. I did not offer to make the popcorn, I said it was already made.

Whatever...it was STILL a taunt/bait and only helped to fuel the fire.

Even here in Kansas, 150 miles is a questionable distance for cache maintanence...

Perhaps, but with the #5 highway, I can go from my front door to being ON THE ISLAND in four hours...this includes prepping and launching a boat! People who are FAMILIAR with BC and this area would know this, and this farce of a rule wouldn't even apply!

The fact remains that this magical "150 mile limit" is a grey area...the actual distance is NOT mentioned in the guidelines, simply a suggestion!

The discussion and thread were tainted by the disrespectful nature of your opening post and others that followed, however, I still got the general idea of what you were getting at. It had very little to do with the cache itself (by your own admission), and more to do with your perceived slights by the approver.

Being called a liar apparently isn't a slight, according to most of the contributors to that thread...yet suggesting that an approver is incompetent IS? Remember, there is NOTHING in my geocaching history that suggests I couldn't/wouldn't maintain this cache...In fact I have two other wilderness caches nearby!

It was the approver's OPINION, despite my assurances. It was the approver who claimed that "some people lie" and subsequently denied the listing, implying that I was lying to him.

He based his decision on the fact that because I DON'T geocache (or not often enough) while I'm in the area...then I am in fact NOT in the area - ergo, I am lying!

Not to mention my TWO other wilderness caches...which take about 5 1/2 hours to get to because they are 25 miles up a logging road....oh, and did I mention that those two were approved without question? I believe I did!

Add to this, that several other cachers (and one other approver) said they saw nothing wrong with this cache placement...the whole thing stunk!

I'd love to hear an argument against my case...just to refresh, the original argument WAS about a cache that was DENIED because of a perceived problem, that COULD have come to pass, sometime in the future...and based on the approver's dealings with OTHER cachers (this was the FIRST time I had dealt with this particular approver) some time in the PAST.

But that was in another thread...we are drifting off-topic.

Edited by Team MJDJ
Now maybe I'll go butt into a conversation with some local Neuro-Surgeons!

I don't know how you can even come close to making that comparison!

I'm sorry, but you do not live on another planet, that your area is so much different than some of the U.S remote areas that we could not have enough intelligence to be a part of this and any other thread that is about Canada.

I have never in my life been around such prejudice. I guess that I am sheltered. :(

Manners be damned?

Your interpretation of them I guess.

The fact remains that this magical "150 mile limit" is a grey area...the actual distance is NOT mentioned in the guidelines, simply a suggestion!
Ok it's a grey area so what do you suggest as an alternative method for them to use? (As things stand now, since it seems to have been agreed that adding 10s or 100s of approvers isn't gonna happen or make sense). It sucks that the suggestion didn't work in your favour but perhaps if you have a better alternative they'd be open to it. It seems obvious now that complaining about it over and over and over again isn't going to change it, especially when it's been applied to other caches which weren't accepted either. ( example ..... see I have been paying attention over the last 4 months, since you seem to think that's somehow relevant)

Thorin

Edited by thorin
Ambrosia:

I'm sorry, but you do not live on another planet, that your area is so much different than some of the U.S remote areas that we could not have enough intelligence to be a part of this and any other thread that is about Canada.

Nowhere did I suggest that somebody wasn't "intelligent" enough to be part of a discussion. You are reading more into this than is present; I merely stated (and this is an OPINION...apparently opinions ARE allowed here!) that in order to approve/discuss caches or other issues in an area, the approver/poster/cacher should know SOMETHING about the area, or their contribution could be considered invalid if they demonstrate a lack of knowledge on the topic. Hey, some people think they are qualified to speak on any subject...not I. If I don't know the facts regarding a topic, chances are I'll keep out of it, or I'll stand back and LISTEN...maybe learn a thing or two in the process.

Prejudice? How do you feel about one cacher with a clean history being treated like all other irresponsible cachers? Isn't THAT an example of prejudice?

Thorin:

...Ignoring your post as you suggested!

Edited by Team MJDJ
I think that I am done with this thread, also.

It is quite impossible to talk to you.  I am sorry that you are such an unhappy person.  :(

On the contrary, I'm quite a happy person...when I'm NOT being called a liar by someone who has never met me.

Have a nice day...sorry I can't make you understand!

It is quite impossible to talk to you.

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Phillippians 4:13

:( Edited by Team MJDJ
Ambrosia:

Nowhere did I suggest that somebody wasn't "intelligent" enough to be part of a discussion. You are reading more into this than is present; I merely stated (and this is an OPINION...apparently opinions ARE allowed here!) that in order to approve/discuss caches or other issues in an area, the approver/poster/cacher should know SOMETHING about the area, or their contribution could be considered invalid if they demonstrate a lack of knowledge on the topic.

Hence the existence of approvers@geocaching.com . As for posters/cachers we've already covered that.

Thorin:

...Ignoring your post as you suggested!

Thanks.

Thorin

Edited by thorin
Please remember the Forum Guidelines and keep on track of the topic.

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

The same goes for a cachers Finds/Hides, this not something to judge a cachers opinion on, everyone is welcome to participate in a discussion.

Thank you.

Kinda like babysitting eh cache-tech? :(

I think that I am done with this thread, also.

It is quite impossible to talk to you.  I am sorry that you are such an unhappy person.  :(

On the contrary, I'm quite a happy person...when I'm NOT being called a liar by someone who has never met me.

Have a nice day...sorry I can't make you understand!

It is quite impossible to talk to you.

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Phillippians 4:13

:(

You just proved my point. :huh:

I am very sorry for you.

I don't think that adding layers to the review process is needed and sounds complicated. In the end the cache still needs to be within the Guidelines of this site to be listed here and see no reason a cache needs to be delayed any further then the current review process. At this time, I do not feel the need to add another cache reviewer for Canada as we usually do keep the cache queue empty and rarely over 20 waiting for review for the whole country at any one time.

I would say that the way things work now is ok for the most of us here.

If you follow the guidlines and place your cache at a reasonable distance from your home coords and not try and make a virtual or vacation cache it seems to get approved.

I think the kiss methed works the best in most thing.

Edited by gm100guy
Even here in Kansas, 150 miles is a questionable distance for cache maintanence...

Perhaps, but with the #5 highway, I can go from my front door to being ON THE ISLAND in four hours...this includes prepping and launching a boat! People who are FAMILIAR with BC and this area would know this, and this farce of a rule wouldn't even apply!

Ok, so lets say the cache was approved and needed emergency maintance that needed to be done ASAP. But that same day your child had an important event (school play, ball game, hockey game, etc) would you be willing to forgo those events to drive the 4 hours there and 4 hours back? Because I have a place I would love to place a cache, about 3 hours from home and we visit often, but don't think I would be able to maintain it properly given the above hypothetical.

It seems to me that a lot of people in this world (not just in Geocaching) seem to think they are entitled to things they are not. Like a collegue at work used to tell his demanding customers "This is not Burger King, you can't have it your way" Amazingly he was one of our top sales reps.

by Noob:

Sure mistakes are made, but I'd prefer to err on the side of keeping geocaching areas open rather than have angry land managers lock us out of cool areas.

...but the so-called wilderness caches aren't likely to come under scrutiny by "land managers" and therefore should be subject to different "guidelines".

If we take my recently-denied cache for example, the Approver suggested that since it was so far outside my "area", I would eventually and inevitably abandon it and it would then become "litter". By the time the cache is submitted for approval, it has already been hidden...all the effort has been put into it.

By DENYING its approval, he most certainly GUARANTEED that it WILL turn into litter, in fact the moment it was denied, it became litter. It is there...I am here and nobody from this site will have the opportunity to seek it or log it because it isn't listed here. If I hadn't listed it on Navicache, it would remain there until my next trip to the area (mid August BTW), so what was accomplished?

Upon further reading of the "Guidelines" I failed to notice any mention of a magical 150 mile limit (which the approver alluded to...), in fact there is NO SPECIFIC distance mentioned...merely a note about the approver's discretion...therefore this particular guideline is subject to personal grudges or opinions and may or may not be valid reasons.

In the topic you linked to, Keystone Approver makes a worthy point; it's not always the Cacher who is the problem, and although honey DOES attract more flies than vinegar, who wants to attract flies?

Respect is not demanded and it certainly isn't an entitlement..and if I feel (rightly or wrongly) that I have been insulted by ANYONE, be they Approver, fellow cacher or co-worker...I am going to react to it! The best way to invoke respect is to offer a bit...to EXPECT it merely because you have been endowed with approval-powers is an insult to the members.

Back to your original topic Scouter John, MOST of my caches have been approved without question. It is only recently that I have been having trouble with the application of the guidelines. Certainly these rules are NOT set in stone and should be subject to closer review by LOCAL reviewers. I see nothing but potential problems if a reviewer in Texas is charged with approving caches in Saskatchewan...

All the way back to the 3rd post in this thread:

Approver suggested that since it was so far outside my "area", I would eventually and inevitably abandon it and it would then become "litter". By the time the cache is submitted for approval, it has already been hidden...all the effort has been put into it.

By DENYING its approval, he most certainly GUARANTEED that it WILL turn into litter, in fact the moment it was denied, it became litter. It is there...I am here and nobody from this site will have the opportunity to seek it or log it because it isn't listed here. If I hadn't listed it on Navicache, it would remain there until my next trip to the area (mid August BTW), so what was accomplished?

Gee, seems to me that if you cant get out there till mid august to pick it up then you couldn't get out there to maintain it if needed either. That proves the point that it is too far for you to maintain. Seems the reviewer was completely and totally correct. Son of a Gun.

PN:IABS IWAP! IWAP! IWAP! IWAP!

by Hespeler:

Ok, so lets say the cache was approved and needed emergency maintance that needed to be done ASAP. But that same day your child had an important event (school play, ball game, hockey game, etc) would you be willing to forgo those events to drive the 4 hours there and 4 hours back?

...and what if ALL of your caches needed simultaneous "emergency maintenance"? Do you realize what a ridiculous statement you've made?

This FURTHER proves why LOCAL approvers are better...anybody who KNOWS THE AREA, would know that maintenance on this particular cache would probably be a NON-ISSUE during its entire life...but since you don't know what is involved, I'll treat this bait with the credibility it deserves!

What sort of "emergency maintenance" would be needed ASAP? If it is THAT urgent, then I would expect the cacher who found it in need, would be a good sport and make the necessary repairs, just as I have done when I've found caches needing attention "immediately"! THAT's also a part of the game.

What you're suggesting is not only "hypothetical" but highly improbable....and ridiculous!

by CO-Admin:

Gee, seems to me that if you cant get out there till mid august to pick it up then you couldn't get out there to maintain it if needed either. That proves the point that it is too far for you to maintain. Seems the reviewer was completely and totally correct. Son of a Gun.

Here's another one who likes to take things out of context...if you RE-read the post that you quoted, you would realize that I meant SINCE it hasn't been approved, I'm in no hurry to retrieve it, and I'm not about to anyway, since it is listed with Navicache...imagine that!

I accept your apology for mis-interpreting my intentions and jumping to erroneous conclusions.

Lighten up people...aren't YOU the ones reminding me that this is "just a game"?

Just curious . . . what sort of emergency cache maintenance would need such immediate attention, specifically wilderness type cache's. I can't think of anything that couldn't wait hours or even days? What sort of trouble could a little plastic box get itself into anyway?

Just curious . . . what sort of emergency cache maintenance would need such immediate attention, specifically wilderness type cache's. I can't think of anything that couldn't wait  hours or even days? What sort of trouble could a little plastic box get itself into anyway?

Perhaps it was ravaged by "wild animals" and turned into landscape litter...who knows WHAT some are thinking!

Also note that WHILE this cache needs maintenance, my son is also playing baseball, our dog is having puppies and baby needs a new pair of shoes! Good thing we didn't have a planetary alignment at the same time, it would be the end of humanity as we know it! :(

By following their own arguments, as I see it NO caches should EVER be approved since the owner could conceivably get sick or die, thereby abandoning their caches...

...any port in a storm, I guess!

by CO-Admin:

Here's another one who likes to take things out of context...if you RE-read the post that you quoted, you would realize that I meant SINCE it hasn't been approved, I'm in no hurry to retrieve it, and I'm not about to anyway, since it is listed with Navicache...imagine that!

I accept your apology for mis-interpreting my intentions and jumping to erroneous conclusions.

Lighten up people...aren't YOU the ones reminding me that this is "just a game"?

So, if you hadn't listed it on Navitrash, would you have gone back out to get it?

Just curious . . . what sort of emergency cache maintenance would need such immediate attention, specifically wilderness type cache's. I can't think of anything that couldn't wait  hours or even days? What sort of trouble could a little plastic box get itself into anyway?

Perhaps it was ravaged by "wild animals" and turned into landscape litter...who knows WHAT some are thinking!

Also note that WHILE this cache needs maintenance, my son is also playing baseball, our dog is having puppies and baby needs a new pair of shoes! Good thing we didn't have a planetary alignment at the same time, it would be the end of humanity as we know it! :(

By following their own arguments, as I see it NO caches should EVER be approved since the owner could conceivably get sick or die, thereby abandoning their caches...

...any port in a storm, I guess!

Why do you care, you changed the coords of some of your caches so no one could find them and they had to be archived by a reviewer. Sounds like a temper tantrum to me. Can we count down to the Geocide?

IWAP

Why do you care, you changed the coords of some of your caches so no one could find them and they had to be archived by a reviewer. Sounds like a temper tantrum to me. Can we count down to the Geocide?

Not very "respectful" when your gaffes have been exposed, are you?

I changed the co-ordinates so that nobody from THIS SITE could locate them, why should I show any sort of loyalty to a service who accuses me of LYING?

The appropriate co-ordinates are listed on Navicache.

by CO-Admin:

On that topic...here are two caches owned by a LOCAL approver, which have been sitting idle:

GCJ0RM - Has been untouched since June 25th, over a MONTH!

GC1112 - Missing since May.

But since I wouldn't get to my denied cache within two weeks, I committed some horrible crime?

How about a HINT of consistency in your arguments?

Edited by Team MJDJ
By Sparky:

So, if you hadn't listed it on Navicache, would you have gone back out to get it?

(editted by MJDJ as it was not respectful to the other listing service)

Of course, I've put time, effort and money into this...but I wouldn't have gone to retrieve it until my next SCHEDULED trip to the area...in mid-August, which by the way is only two weeks away.

Alas, apparently two weeks is too long to wait, according to some people who, in all likelihood will never even visit the area!

Can we count down to the Geocide?

IWAP

I vote for "Geocide by Moderation"! :(

Sparky you crack me up :huh:

Why dont you guys start you own listing site?
That would require effort and logic. Plus it appears (for some) it's much more fun and somehow perceived productive to just complain about things here. Especially when they can't even attempt make a reasonable suggestion as to how things should or could be done better. :(

Thorin

Hours would probably not be an issue. Days might be a problem though. It happened to me.

I asked for permission to place a cache in an Forest Service Wilderness Area. Initially they said yes. I placed the cache and it was found by a few people. They sent me an email telling me that the supervisor changed his mind and wanted the cache remove immediately or they would remove it. I went out a few days later and moved the cache to an acceptable location and changed it to a multi-cache. I did what they asked and my swift response made a huge positive impression with them. You can see the changes in the logs.

Raven Cliffs First Cache

Hours would probably not be an issue. Days might be a problem though. It happened to me.

I asked for permission to place a cache in an Forest Service Wilderness Area. Initially they said yes. I placed the cache and it was found by a few people. They sent me an email telling me that the supervisor changed his mind and wanted the cache remove immediately or they would remove it. I went out a few days later and moved the cache to an acceptable location and changed it to a multi-cache. I did what they asked and my swift response made a huge positive impression with them. You can see the changes in the logs.

Raven Cliffs First Cache

Ya I highly doubt a Provincial Parks, Canada Parks, or Fish & Wilflife, etc... representative is going to be happy if they get a "oh ya I'll be out there in about another 5 weeks I'll take care of it then" type response.

Thorin

This FURTHER proves why LOCAL approvers are better...anybody who KNOWS THE AREA, would know that maintenance on this particular cache would probably be a NON-ISSUE during its entire life...but since you don't know what is involved, I'll treat this bait with the credibility it deserves!

If you want to think this was bait go ahead, but you are doing the same thing that you accuse the approvers of doing. You don't know me so why do you accuse me of baiting you????

I actually know the area of the cache extremely well while I live in Ontario I have been in that area extensively over the years. Again you assume something you had no right to because you don't know me or my travel habits.

What sort of "emergency maintenance" would be needed ASAP? If it is THAT urgent, then I would expect the cacher who found it in need, would be a good sport and make the necessary repairs, just as I have done when I've found caches needing attention "immediately"! THAT's also a part of the game.

What you're suggesting is not only "hypothetical" but highly improbable....and ridiculous!

What if it wasn't another cacher that found it. I would also assume if it was another cacher they would do their best to fix things up. But if it was someone not involved the the sport and all the knew is that the cache had your contact info on it. Maybe an animal has spread it all around the area, or as happened in Ottawa quite resently someone thinks it is something else other than a cache and get the law enforcement involved they would like to speak to you. Like I said it was hypothetical... Would it happen I doubt it, can it happen yes. And hey if you are willing to go that extra mile for the sport I say all the power to you, but it is your (or any other cacher's) responsiblity to prove to the approver that you can handle the task to his/her satisfaction, not your satisfaction.

[Edited to make a point more clear]

Edited by Hespeler Fuel Company

Ok, so lets say the cache was approved and needed emergency maintance that needed to be done ASAP.  But that same day your child had an important event (school play, ball game, hockey game, etc) would you be willing to forgo those events to drive the 4 hours there and 4 hours back?  Because I have a place I would love to place a cache, about 3 hours from home and we visit often,  but don't think I would be able to maintain it properly given the above hypothetical.

Unless the cache was spewing ebola infected radioactive waste on a daycare in session, I cannot imagine any cache related maintenance that couldn't wait for some family event to pass before the maintenance was done, regardless of how far away it is.

Edited by geoSquid

In the end we have tools to deal with a cache. "Sorry to hear your supervisor changed his mind, I can't get up there for a month due to personal obligations, however I can archive the cache, which will take it out of circulation. That will let me get up there and move it to the spot he suggested. Then I can list it again. Will that work for you?"

Barring that I can disable it. Barring that I can find a local, Barring that I can ask the ranger to pull it. Responding quicly is the key, that way they know you are not ignoring them. Actually getting out to take care of the problem can be worked out. Yes it's impressive to be able to pop out there lickety split. But lets face it, we all have lives and those lives have thier own demands.

Too bad you're not an approver eh? Not to mention 18 days late to the party ....... now we have something sad to talk about......

BTW Butche you should be careful. Your 12 finds, ~3 months in the forums, and 1 hide may not give you enough knowledge (er whatever) to discuss things like this with MJDJ (per her posts on 29 JUL) B)

Anyway since this was dead 18 days ago I shouldn't even post but its all too funny to avoid B)

Thorin

Gee Thorin, your math is really good. B)

I suppose with your approximate time here of 5 months and 11 finds and no hides you are much more knowledgeable than me?

This might not have been posted to lately, but dead? Maybe we revived it. B)

18 days isn't too bad considering I don't read the forums often.

Edited by butche