Muggles Leaving Weird Log Entries...

Imajika

We recently had to archive a cache because of some problems we had been having with the container. When we got the container home, we took all the things out. One of the items was a small tape case (the kind used in video cameras). There was no tape inside, just the case. I wondered who on earth would think an empty tape case is a good trade!

I started looking at the logbook and found a most peculiar entry:

"Took the turtle for hostage. Left video cassette case. When our demands are met, we will free our brother."

Then they wrote the date, time and a name. Then in big letters it says, "Turtle freedom!".

I just had to laugh when I saw that note. I looked up the name they wrote and there is no user on gc.com with that name.

Anyone else seen any weird muggle logs?

Haha! That hostage note is funny. To me, it would be more fun to get some strange sense of humor messages like that in a cache that the old usual. Kind of refreshing to know there are people out there not associated with geocaching as strange as we are. :rolleyes:

I had non-cachers find one of mine and they left three cigarettes. This was in a popular hiking park with steep inclines. I'm kinda surprised that smokers could get to the elevation that the cache was at. Their paper log is nice and I think that they thought that they were doing something good. No blood, no foul.

There was a note on top of the cache contents of a cache me and IceCreamMan found in Southeastern Georgia that said something like:

(insert male first name here),

I'm sorry and I still love you. If you find this, please contact me.

(insert female first name here)

Very strange. I'd love to hear the story of that one.

There was a note on top of the cache contents of a cache me and IceCreamMan found in Southeastern Georgia that said something like:

Is my wife leaving notes for me in caches again? Guess I really must get home.

I've come across a few logs from people who found the cache while sneaking off into the woods to smoke pot.

One of them went something like this: "I came out here to get high and saw your box. I thought there might be money or weed in it, your game sucks."

Other muggle logs I've seen have been much more profane and I'd get banned from the forums if I quoted them. :laughing:

We found a cache once that had about 3-4 consecutive day's worth of logs from a muggle who was camping in the area. He was also partying heavily, as each day's log entry got messier and tougher to read/understand. After about the 4th day, he wrote that he had finally ran out of beer and was going home! BTW, the cache was still in good shape and had plenty of swag!

Muggle logs on a Colorado Cache that I visited: (1) "Is this a club?" (2) "Found this while smoking some nature" and (3) "Are you guys crazy?"

I also found a log in a rest area cache that said it was found while having intimate relations under the tree where the cache was (they used other language that I can't use here). A person said in IRC chat a week later that he found a condom there.

This spring I found a cigarrette and a muggle log in a cache. I don't think they realized that leaving a cigarrette was a bad thing. I traded for it and left it in the trash can on the way out.

This spring I found a cigarrette and a muggle log in a cache. I don't think they realized that leaving a cigarrette was a bad thing. I traded for it and left it in the trash can on the way out.

I found a cigarette left in a cache by a geocacher a couple of months ago. The note said, "we didn't have anything to leave, so we left this cigarette. Sorry." Somehow, that struck me as so over-the-top pathetic and stupid that it cracked me up. It was a limp, sad, scruffy object. I left it.

Amphibian Orgy is hidden in the Sandhills Gamelands of NC, between Camp Mackall (where a group that doesn't exist has its HQ :laughing: ), and Fort Bragg. It is occasionally used by military troops practicing their stealth games. There are several logs in its book from soldiers who have found it during these maneuvers. One even mentioned finding another cache somewhere in Utah.

I found a cache with some friends and it was in a very middle of nowhere location. Somehow it got muggled. The person didn't take the cache or the contents but left this note:

Took $hit, left $hit,

Signed,

Stinky

There was no feces in the cache, but i guess he was looking for a good place to go, and found one near the cache.

I found a cache with some friends and it was in a very middle of nowhere location.  Somehow it got muggled.  The person didn't take the cache or the contents but left this note:

Took $hit, left $hit,

Signed,

Stinky

There was no feces in the cache, but i guess he was looking for a good place to go, and found one near the cache.

You reminded me of a cache here in Jacksonville, FL that was muggled into extinction by a similar method. This finder DID leave something though...... kudos to Rotes and Jess&Jenn for still signing the log!

I found a cache with some friends and it was in a very middle of nowhere location.  Somehow it got muggled.  The person didn't take the cache or the contents but left this note:

Took $hit, left $hit,

Signed,

Stinky

You reminded me of a cache here in Jacksonville, FL that was muggled into extinction by a similar method. This finder DID leave something though...... kudos to Rotes and Jess&Jenn for still signing the log!

I forgot to add that this cache is in a VERY public park in a residential area with NO woods and is about 75 feet from a very busy multi-laned boulevard. SHEESH! :laughing: Ninja poopers!

edit: one more thing: it has been replaced by a 35mm micro - poop in THAT!

Edited by paintfiction

Was at one out remote in woods and read the cache log and it had an entry something like...

Was out searching for my grandfathers rifle and stumbled across this box. If anyone finds the rifle, there's a $500 reward (with name and phone number)

Guess it had sentimental value...

You know, as odd as these entries are... At least they're entries and not 8 DNFs followed by archive or cache replacement. Some muggles will take the boxes, at least others take the time to realize it *should* be there and to sign the log.

Ask Vacman about a cache which has a used joint in it & was sent to jail. Some interesting images on disposable camera there, too.

I had plenty of curious muggle logs in my cache logbooks, too:

A treatise on TV waves controlling human brains.

A discourse on the state of the Nation.

A multi-page plea for help from a lost hiker, intimidated by the terrain, complete with emergency cell phones (she survived the ordeal OK, but since she moved the cache into plain sight, it ended up very short on swag by the time I returned for a maintenance check-up).

A geocoin move note by a muggle - also a rarity, I guess.

Lastly, the shortest log, from an exhausted climber as I can guess: "F* this SH*".

Muggle logs on a Colorado Cache that I visited: (1) "Is this a club?" (2) "Found this while smoking some nature" and (3) "Are you guys crazy?"

That is hilarious! Some possible responses could be ...

1) no this is a cache. If you mess with the cache, then you'll feel the club.

2) surprised you could find anything after 'smoking some nature'.

3) yes, we most definitely are crazy. :laughing:

This cache Migrating Fish was found several times by non-cachers, turkey hunters mostly. There were several entries where it was found. One entry said that he saw the ammo can (soon after 9/11) and thought it may have been a bomb so he attempted to open it with a stick and eventually unlatched it and through it. (he thought it was a bomb and tried to open it?)He appologized for denting the can and left 3 shotgun shells. The next hunter that found it took the shotgun shells and also shared that he had a sucessful hunt and harvested a turkey with an 11" beard. These are my kind of logs. Another took the can home not knowing what it was and after opening it realized what he had done and replaced the cache to the same location after several days. :laughing:

Edited by Phone guy

I found one that had an entry from someone who had just been sitting on the log where it was sitting, meditating and praying. When they had finished, they looked down and saw the cache in the log. That must have been an interesting experience.

Edit: Too many "log"s in one sentence

Edited by Dinoprophet

I went to check on my newest cache today ( GC1R9V0 )

It was still there, though I was a little dissappointed to see the log had been stuffed back in a little roughly. "Who ever could have done this?" I asked myself. "Shame on them; let's read the log book and find out who the perp is!" I stated reading logs, and was a little surprised to see that there where 3 independent logs by muggles! The first was actually fairly long, but I couldn't read the handwriting very well and could only really make out a few words, "interesting game" being 2 of them. The next one was obviously a family ("The Murphy 5" or something along those lines), which described how they had set off for a history lesson and found a geocache instead (haha, take that history!). The third was short and to the point "We found your trippy box, and it tripped us out! -Jason from Penticton"

A fairly interesting log book anyways!

I adopted this cache a couple of years ago. It's located on top of a 500-foot-high, steep-sided butte in a popular camping area in far-southern Arizona, close to the border town of Nogales. Apparently, there's a climbing guide in the area named Jesus; the numerous muggle logbook entries, mostly in Spanish, often say "made it to the top with the help of Jesus."

Somebody recently found a note in one of mine saying "You really should hide this better".

I sort of thought a 2 mile hike and then a pretty hardy bushwack through thorns and some small, tightly packed trees was hiding it pretty good. I guess not. What sucks is that they took the coins and TB's that were in the cache and left everything else.

Also saw a log in one cache that said "We found this while we were playing spies".

A couple of years ago the Birmingham News wanted an article, so I agreed to take a writer and photographer geocaching.

I selected several different types of caches and gave a heads-up to the other owners to check on them before we got to them, replenished one of mine that would be on our tour to be sure that it had good swag in it and dropped in a couple of my personal coins for them to keep.

The day comes and off we go, I show them this type of cache and that type of cache and tell them "Now I own this next one, so it's a great example of what I think a cache should be"... so of course we get there and, nada. DNF. Gone. Poof. OOPS!

"Well, if it had been here you would have seen... oh, forget it." All the other caches were just fine. Only mine. Downright embarrassing.

Three days later I stop by to replace the cache, it's there, perfectly hidden, all contents in place, with a note that said "Please forgive my son, he found this and thought he could keep it".

I found one called Emerald Cemetery in Mississippi. The log before me said: We don't play this game but we read the logbook. Took nothing, left $1...Turkey hunters from Missouri

Sorry to 'interrupt' here since I don't have one to add, but what's the GCXXX for that cache? I enjoy cemetery caches.

A couple of years ago I found a cache and there was a note in the logbook at that the cache had been found by someone that had been doing some nude hiking. He claimed he had inserted a body part into some playdoh that he'd found in the cache (and had returned the playdoh to the cache). As I recall he even left the address for a nude hiking website in the log book.

I found one called Emerald Cemetery in Mississippi. The log before me said: We don't play this game but we read the logbook. Took nothing, left $1...Turkey hunters from Missouri

Sorry to 'interrupt' here since I don't have one to add, but what's the GCXXX for that cache? I enjoy cemetery caches.

A quick search yielded this cache: GCNB3Y

Edited by RS67Man

Is my wife leaving notes for me in caches again? Guess I really must get home.

Would you mind picking up a carton of milk on the way, dear?

A quick search yielded this cache: GCNB3Y

Thanks. I wish I had checked that before posting (it didn't cross my mind for whatever reason).

I've come across a few logs from people who found the cache while sneaking off into the woods to smoke pot.

One of them went something like this: "I came out here to get high and saw your box. I thought there might be money or weed in it, your game sucks."

Other muggle logs I've seen have been much more profane and I'd get banned from the forums if I quoted them. :)

I found a cache that had been found by muggles out in the woods to do mushrooms, rather than pot. They wrote that they were blown away by how cool the whole thing was! Having experienced both substances back in the day, I can completely understand the difference in perception...

I had one similar to what simpjkee quoted in a micro I own by a river. The next time I stopped to check the cache the guy that lives across the road saw me stop and came over to chat: He "You looking for that little case thing?" Me with puzzled look: "Yea, I'm the one that put it there." Him: "Yea, it's right there, I put it back after I wrote in it. What's it for?" Me: explained geocaching... He has since decided that the area is pretty nice and has put in a grill, table, and permanent port-a-john with a lock on it. I am considering archiving the cache, it doesn't have the same atmosphere as when I put the cache in.

I placed a cache along the trails at the lake. It ended up not getting approved due to proximity concerns, but I never went and picked it up. Almost a year later I was in the area with a couple friends, so I stopped and grabbed it. I opened it up and it had an entry that read...This was found by 2 Hardcore Mountainbikers.

I gave the container to my friend and he placed it a little further up the trail.

GC1KC30

I have seen logs left by teen/20 something muggles with the obligatory "found wile smokin" logs. I have seen many left by hunters too including my own caches. Once a hunter left a deer slug so I took it with me. No harm to foul. Only once have I seen kids trash a ammo box and wreck the log book. I fixed up the cache as best I could, ended up adopting it since the CO lived over an hour away and I live close by.