Sportrak Pro Map And Location Not Reliable

sbur6

I recently bought a SporTrak Pro and MapSend. I loaded a map of North Texas from Mapsend into the GPS. I notice that where the GPS shows me on the built in map is about 300 feet from my actual location. Sometimes it comes in closer, but mostly not.

I connected the GPS to my laptop and launched Mappoint 2004 and the GPS shows me in the exact right location. Are the MapSend maps off? Has anyone else experienced this?

I have tried re-initializing the unit and that didnt help. I removed the map and reloaded it and that didnt help. I am going out tomorrow to find a geocache and we'll see how that works.

Thanks for your ear and your input.

ScottB

The probability is that your SporTrak is fine (so your caching expedition ought to be just fine) but the maps are off. S&D (and Topo, for that matter) are based upon the public domain TIGER database and accuracy of these rather old maps varies by region. They're pretty good in Pennsylvania and Maryland (where I live), they're reportedly bad in Hawaii. You'd have to compare notes with someone else in north Texas to get some corroboration for your observations, but my guess is it's the maps.

If accurate maps are important to you, DirectRoute is much better (though still not perfect).

Which map send software are you using. I own Map Send Topo, Map Send Street

and Destinations and Map Send Direct route. I have not had any major problems in my area. of the Magellan software, Direct route is the best for streets and highways. Once in a while when i am on a highway with 3 or more lanes the GPS will show me off to the side of the road on the screen, Figuring that each may be 10 feet wide plus a 20 foot divider in the center, it would make sense to be off to the side.

I have also used Garmin software and it is not perfect, for that matter My Micro soft Streets and Trips and my Delorme software is not perfect, When you get down to it None of them are perfect.

I am using Streets and Destinations. I was out this afternoon with a friend who had a eTrx and his was dead on and mine was off in the bushes. I hooked it up to my laptop on the way home and Mappoint was almost dead on the entire trip and the GPS map wasnt.

I guess I need to save up for Direct Route and try it out. I sure hate to spend $150 to test it though.

I read online that Directroute works on the Meridian and the SporTrak.

MapSend DirectRoute makes getting where you’re going even easier using your Magellan Meridian® Color, Meridian Platinum, Meridian Gold, or Meridian Marine, SporTrak® Color, SporTrak Pro, or SporTrak Pro Marine GPS handheld receiver.
I am using Streets and Destinations. I was out this afternoon with a friend who had a eTrx and his was dead on and mine was off in the bushes. I hooked it up to my laptop on the way home and Mappoint was almost dead on the entire trip and the GPS map wasnt.

I guess I need to save up for Direct Route and try it out. I sure hate to spend $150 to test it though.

I read online that Directroute works on the Meridian and the SporTrak.

MapSend DirectRoute makes getting where you’re going even easier using your Magellan Meridian® Color, Meridian Platinum, Meridian Gold, or Meridian Marine, SporTrak® Color, SporTrak Pro, or SporTrak Pro Marine GPS handheld receiver.

how far in the bushes?

I live in North Texas and have a Sportrak Pro with Map Send Topo. It generally shows me not in the bushes, most of the time actually on the road. I know the maps are out of date, but fairly accurate. I would give it a B grade. I also use my laptop with Streets & Trips with my Sportrak connected to the serial port. On a 3500 mile trip thru southern Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, it had me right on, at least not off a cliff. Also on other trips, ie Galveston it did not have me in the ocean. The altitude also showed 0 on the beach. In the mountains, the elevation agreed with the road signs at the mountain passes.

Now, what have you been doing in the bushes. Remember, this is a family forum :tired:

I am generally 100 feet off when its at its worst. It can be on the road, but that is the exception. I am getting a copy of MapSend Topo in a week or so. We'll see if that is any better.

ScottB

Edited by sjbur6

I find my MapSend software and maps very accurate and easy to use - having to have a CD (copy protection?) in the drive suck though.

I bought Delorme topo - the topo is great but the streets are off. with regard to the topo which is confusing when you think you are in the wrong place or wrong side of a street in a canyon with no bridge for that street.

The Mapsend for my area is very off. Something in excess of 500'.

Don't rely on the information to tell you exactly where you are. It does work well as a regular map i.e. what streets go where. It's just not completely to scale, so you have to reconcile your position on the map with real-world landmarks.

Well the direct route maps should be more accurate (well as accurate as mapoint-since most of thr data from mapoint is probably navtecq data too). You should also be able to find the software cheaper than $150 ($100 is pretty common, may find it for less). You may also want to wait a few mounths to see if Magellan releases a new version.

Wyatt W.

I find my MapSend software and maps very accurate and easy to use - having to have a CD (copy protection?) in the drive suck though.

I don't have to have the CD in the drive for mine. Did you do a full install?

Mapsend Topo's streets are pretty accurate around my area; SoCal.

(sjbur6 @ Jul 28 2004, 06:47 PM)

I am using Streets and Destinations. I was out this afternoon with a friend who had a eTrx and his was dead on 

Your friend's ETrex probably was set to "lock on road", which will adjust the cursor's position to the nearby road even if the road's location is not accurate. That works good for driving, but sometimes works really bad if you're geocahing. Magellans don't have the "lock on road" option. I just accept that the road's locations are nothing more than an approximation. After all, how detailed can the info be if they've managed to fit streets, topo, and POIs for the entire US onto 1 CD?