The Quality Of Boxes

I have just replaced the box for one of my caches for the second time, the first two were food storage boxes from a supermarket. In about a year or so they have gone crisp. This time I have used a 'lock & lock' which the makers claim to be almost bomb proof. Has anyone else used them and how long do they last?

I found a cache recently in an ice cream carton, what are its chances of lasting the year out? :rolleyes:

My oldest Lock&Lock caches are just a year old (been through one Winter) but have done well so far. The only one which has been destroyed was taken apart by an animal after someone left soap in the cache.

I've had a few cheaper plastic boxes disintegrate (despite claiming that they were freezerproof) so now follow the rule of only using ammo boxes or Lock&Lock.

If you need any excellent and cheap (50p each) metal containers approx the size of a pint pot & 100% waterproof check out these.

I boght 15 for £12.75 including p&p :tired:

Often 25p each if you visit the shop! I drive past every day and have often seen piles of the things for almost no money. They are a little small (a full-length pencil doesn't quite fit), but really are great containers.

Although we found one recently which had a disposable camera in. It basically became a micro with the amount of room left!

Cheers,

Stu

Be especially sure to mark these containers as "non-harmful"...

Just to give everyone a clue, when hunting for Marks :tired: , they are now painted a flat black. He very kindly presented one to me at Castle Clean Up :tired:. I already have a location in mind :cry:, just got to make a scouting trip to work out the best way of disguising it ;).

Dave

Where do you get these Lock and Lock containers from, they seem the best.

The UK distributor is JWP Ltd, the relevant webpage is here

That lists a few big stores that stock Lock & Lock or you could give them a call on 01282 613644 to find your nearest stockist.

hth

MarkGPX

I bought one from Lakeland Plastics and it's been 'in the field' for well over 18 months. The soft rubber seal has now deformed a little and compressed. The result is that the locking tabs aren't as secure as they once were. The last time i checked on this particular cache, two adjacent tabs had 'unlocked' and the contents were just a little damp.

Hi Folks,

Plastic containers are good, especially the lock n lock ones, but even if they are freezer proof, unless they are either UV stabilised or TOTALLY shielded from the sun's ultraviolet rays, eventually they do become brittle and seals deform. Somewhere between 18 months and two years would be time to start thinking about replacement before the seals start to deform to much and let water in. The only UV stabilised boxes I've ever come across are for electronic equipment and about the size of a biggish micro.

So that's your enemy folks, not so much the cold as Ultra Violet radiation.

Danegar

Surely there shouldn't be too many UV probs with plastic boxes being used as caches. Most caches have something like factor 1000 sun cream on them (mud, branches, leaves, rocks, etc.). While some light will get through it is not as if a cache box is left fully exposed to day light.

Having said that although we currently have 3 caches in normal food boxes any future ones will probably be the lock & lock, or an ammo box (repainted of course!)

These are likely to appear in the east midlands late autumn/winter as we shall soon move to Northampton from Manchester

I've just bought some of the new Addis "Clip and Close" range whihc are like the "lock & Lock" ones.

Addis claim that these are 100% airtight. My niece said she saw a TV ad for them where someone accidentally throws their box of sandwixches inside a Clip and Close box into the WASHING MACHINE!!!!!!!!

The sandwiches emerge dry as a bone!

I also found similar clip lock boxes in a Netto supermarket - but this may have been a special offer.

Happy Landins

If you need any excellent and cheap (50p each) metal containers approx the size of a pint pot & 100% waterproof check out these.

I boght 15 for £12.75 including p&p :anitongue:

Often 25p each if you visit the shop! I drive past every day and have often seen piles of the things for almost no money. They are a little small (a full-length pencil doesn't quite fit), but really are great containers.

When I walked past the other day, they were selling 12 for a pound. It was so tempting to buy more! but we already have a bag full. :laughing:

Sarah

I bought a small to medium sized Addis branded container that looks a lot like the lock and lock ones linked above. It also has the 4 clip over tabs and a silica gell sealing ring in the lid. It passed the 'emmersed in bucket of water with a brick on top of it for 4 hours' test well enough, but testing for environmental degredation might be a failure mode deal and take several months!

I'll keep my sandwiches in it for now.

I boght 15 for £12.75 including p&p ;)

When I walked past the other day, they were selling 12 for a pound. It was so tempting to buy more! but we already have a bag full. ;)

Looks like you bought the entire stock, they don't have any left looking at their website...

Looks like you bought the entire stock, they don't have any left looking at their website... :lol: