Would It Be "legal" To Do This?

I was visiting my parents a few weeks ago and went to visit a park I used to hang out in as a child. There is a chain link fence that surrounds one of the fields. I noticed that many of the support posts were missing the decorative caps. Would it be legal for me to buy a cap and put it on a post with a micro-cache in it? It would be held on with a set screw to lock it in place. You would have to be real sneaky to remove the screw to get to the cache. Would removing the set screw be considered defacing public property?

I've seen that done without the set screw...the cap fits tight enough to stay on it's own.  You might need to "dent" the cap a bit to give it the tight fit on the post.

I need some type of hardware to keep the cap from being stolen. The screw would keep the local kiddies from "borrowing" the cap.

A screw is not going to keep "kiddies" from taking the cap. Knowing kids now a days they would have a screwdriver on them!

I had that covered. I was thinking about using a metric sized allen head set screw.

To make it even more fun, the correct size allen key would be hidden someplace else. You will have to find that first.

The problem I forsee has nothing to do with the viability of the cap to stay put...but the impropriety of someone looking like they are removing or taking the cap while hunting your geocache.

To an outsider, this is going to appear like someone defacing the park's fence, unlike the usual find of unearthing a tupperware box, peeling a magnet, etc.

Even though the explanation will eventually lead back to "I was going to put it back, this is how the game is played, it's not the original cap, etc"...it would seem like a problem that should be avoided.

I had that covered. I was thinking about using a metric sized allen head set screw.

To make it even more fun, the correct size allen key would be hidden someplace else. You will have to find that first.

ya that would work but like someone said before if it is a area prone to getting vandalized then I would choose another spot.

I agree with Renegade Knight and ju66l3r.

My GOD, what freakish parallel universe have I been transported to?

It is a fairly common hiding technique to find a loose cap and place the micro inside the post itself, using a magnet, wire, etc. to keep it in place. If the cap is taken, there's still a chance that the micro won't be touched.

If you did that you are counting the finder then returning to the first hiding spot and returning the allen key. I would bet money before long someone would put it in their pocket and forget to return it.

You might want to keep in mind that not all cachers put caches back the way they found them so you may lose the cache even with a set screw. this is called cache maintnance.

Also if you use a set screw, set the difficulty rating at more than a one or two as they may require a tool to remove the cap.

Been there, found that. Go ahead and hide it. The one near here actually had a nut on top of the cap holding the cache in place at first-that made it an easy find. later the hider figured out how to do away with the nut. And no he didn't deface public property, he replaced public property with his own fencepost cap. :rolleyes:

I was visiting my parents a few weeks ago and ....

The only problem I see with that is the distance from your house to this park. If it's far away, and you can get your parents to watch it for you and fix it if there's a problem, then it should be a great cache. Go for it.

I've got a fencepost cap. It's been there for nearly a year without any extra means of securing it. I doubt too many people walk around thinking "Gee, wouldn't this be a nice addition to my fence cap collection?"

The one I assembled cost about $1 for the fence cap, a few pennies worth of epoxy to glue a pill bottle to the inside, and a few seconds to make the cap look weathered. If it went missing, it wouldn't cost much money or time to make a new one.

I agree with KA...use a magnet to secure it inside the post...not the cap...that way there are no tools needed so it won't give away the location...and if the cap comes up missing...chances are the magnet will still hold the micro in it's place in the post...

Good luck :rolleyes:

-Six