Group Hike In Harriman/bear Mtn

avroair

Okay we are meeting at around 9:30 a.m. so people can gather, be merry and whatever else, the parking coordinates are (and please don't all try and grab the same parking spot :huh: )

Parking is at the loop on Rt 6 at N 41 18.965 W 074 03.002

Bring some food for lunch and see you guys tomorrow, rain or shine! :huh:

Unfortunately I also have obligations. I have an obligation not to wake up in two and a half hours and drive upstate. I'm so very sorry but there is no way. It's 4:30AM and I just walked in the door from PA. I will absolutely be at ribs and beer night so I'll see you all then. Have fun! Must sleep now. :zz: :zz:

As I seem to be a magnet for wild things (bears, snakes, foxes, etc...) lately, maybe that will keep the wildlife in the vicinity.

About 20 people and 4 dogs....I have a feeling we aren't going to see too much wild life. :huh:

Last count 6 snakes, 3 deer, multiple hawks, and mini frogs. We didn't scare all of it away. First find, a large by snake by...drum roll please...TRL. Magnets still pulling!

Okay, on to the non-technical stuff.

JMbella and Squealy - When you guys decide to do this loop together make sure you are holding hands so the locals know that you are taken. :huh:

I now know why they named it Hariman (Hairyman) and Bear (Bare) Mountain - saw a nude couple by the lake. We stopped past the cache and just seemed to keep gawking at them! Lots of single people sitting on rocks too... :huh:

Had a blast. Helmet was our resident Crocodile Hunter, frequently diving into the scrub brush and returning with a snake. :huh:

Despite the 5.63 mile track log, I still maintain we did over 7 miles! I slept from 4 pm - 9 pm! :lol:

I am looking to do either the Silver Mine series or another loop near Bear Mountain in the coming weeks if anyone else is interested?

The vertical track shows 7 miles. Does that mean it takes into account the additional distance it takes going up and down? Therefore--we did do 7 miles although we only covered 5.62 miles on a flat map. My body says we covered 7 miles, thank you. I love all this technical verification and validation of why I feel the way I do.

The vertical track shows 7 miles. Does that mean it takes into account the additional distance it takes going up and down?  Therefore--we did do 7 miles although we only covered 5.62 miles on a flat map.  My body says we covered 7 miles, thank you. I love all this technical verification and validation of why I feel the way I do.

The 7 miles displayed on the graph reference the entire graph window range. The end of it shows white space which would account for the 1.38 miles between 5.62 and 7. I could drop down to showing 5 miles (the next lowest value), but that would cut off the last .62 miles of the hike which was Quoddy's favorite and I wouldn't want him to miss seeing the ascent he had to make :huh: .

I had a great time caching with everyone. Cool track log map Dave, thanks. Now I have the heebie jeebies about walking around in that park after seeing all those snakes today. One hanging in the tree about 18 inches from the trail. Foster spotted it. I gotta start paying closer attention to where I'm going now. <_<

723c6feb-2684-4f3b-9288-6933859285b1.jpg

Sorry I missed you guys, I got bored on Saturday and went to VT for some ATV riding up Equinox and Mother Myrick to find a cache but all the rain made the ruts about 4 feet deep on the steep part so we were thwarted from our quest. So we tried others, and only found one all day. Sure was fun though! But sorry I missed that great hike. Perhaps Ttepee and I can do it another day.

Great weather too!

Yeah, perfect for singles to sit on lonely rocks and reflect... and for nude sunbathing... and for snakes to sun themselves... and for a snake handler to dive into the scrub and wrestle all local flora and fauna to the ground... Kreiky! That's a beauty! <_<

Did you guys ever find that Diary Queen? (other than the one on the rock?) :huh:

You were the one that asked him the way to the parking lot....glad it was to read him a story from a certain magazine

Ha, bloody ha! <_<

I disposed of the mag, despite the wife's best intentions... so back to my question why is it only the males that congregate... :huh:

I hope you at least won your softball game

Nope, lost 12-11 on a solo HR in the bottom of the 12th inning :lol:. It was an exciting game though. 11-11 after seven and some great defense from both teams to keep it tied until the 12th.

But we did get to take a nice canoe trip on the mighty Passaic River in the afternoon. Well it wasn't so mighty here as it was no more than a few inches deep. We were able to navigate the river (with a few short portages) to within a few hundred feet of one of my caches (Lord Stirling) that needed replacement because Team DEMP muggled it :ph34r: .

Edited by briansnat
We were able to navigate the river (with a few short portages) to within a few hundred feet of one of my caches (Lord Stirling) that needed replacement because Team DEMP muggled it :lol: .

Haha! It was empty when I got there... who was the prev cacher?? :ph34r:

For anyone that hasn't done the Swamp Thing and Swamp Thing II (Lord Stirling) cache, it's a pretty area to visit. I'd suggest doing it when it hasn't rained for a couple days as the trails can get muddy. There's two BrianSnat caches there and with a short drive you can get a 3rd BrianSnat cache which is a virtual close by as well as pass another virtual outside an entrance to the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge.

Just a couple of notes:

Haha! It was empty when I got there... who was the prev cacher??

That would be me! And the cache was fine!

When hiking at Bear Mountain Squealy some advice! Donot:

"Give em the finger!"

and "The ends DONOT justify the means!"

JMBELLA:

Two roads diverge

And i took the one less traveled

and that has made all the difference

because now I'm screwed!

:rolleyes: See ya both tomorrow. Call me when you get stuck! :rolleyes:

I was very happy to see that you folks picked my caches to find.I have had a ball

putting them out.I know they are not the hardest ones you have found, but at 69...its the best I can do.I really enjoyed ALL the e- mails. Took a while to read them all....and I thank everyone of you.

One question...what does Jonboy mean by..."Lame drive and dump"caches.

Edited by bigbill6
I was very happy to see that you folks picked my caches to find.I have had a ball

putting them out.I know they are not the hardest ones you have found, but at 69...its the best I can do.I really enjoyed ALL the e- mails. Took a while to read them all....and I thank everyone of you.

That's a good question because each of your caches was great... believe me that "Drive and dump" thing was not the groups impression. Thanks for all the work you put into hiding those caches because it gave me a chance to make some good and hopefully lasting friendships. In Jonboys defense I think he was just trying to get us to go after his caches. :rolleyes:

I really enjoyed all of your caches and thoroughly enjoyed the group hike. I think Jonboy was refering to the parking lot activity, not your caches. :rolleyes:

Excellent placement. Each cache is now VERY full of goodies!!! :rolleyes: