Group Hike In Harriman/bear Mtn

avroair

If you do the Turkey Lake Loop, Dave can try out his cologne and pink panties. :blink:

Really, why bother to come all the way to Harriman to do these lame drive and dumps?

I got a loop for you. Park at Jone's Point on 9W and head up the blue Timp-Torne trail, picking up "Timp Teaser" on the way to the Timp, where "Trepidation" awaits, then back track a short way to the RD (red dot on white) and follow this out to "Bald Mountain" ( one of the best vistas in the park). Continuing on the RD you can pick up a FTF at "Blunderberg", following this spectacular trail down past the point ( take the short white side trail to another fine view) to "Dunderberg Railroad Cache" and back to the car. That's five caches in a mere 8.6 miles.

If that isn't enough, you could extend the loop, by staying on the blue trail after the Timp, out to "West Mountain Lean-to". Take a quick jog east down the yellow SBM to bag "Laura Croft", then back the other way on the yellow to "Cat's Elbow". From here you pick up the red RD trail heading east to "Lost in the Ozone" and loop under the Timp on the RD to finish the original loop.

That would be nine caches in about 13 miles, and one of the most impressive ridge walks in the area. I know Dave can do it, he did 12 miles just to bag "Take a Hike".

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jonboy (I'm sure I'd look good in pink panties :lol: Maybe I can borrow some of my wife's boyshorts).

I know there are folks coming along (my daughter for one) that might not enjoy a 12 mile strenuous hike. I think in order to accommodate everyone, it should be a hike of no more then 8 miles with minimal difficult terrain.

And then next weekend, I'm all up for the cache loop you laid out... who else is going? :blink:

The point of the group hike was so a number of people can get together and go on a nice, yet not too strenuous hike. :blink:

We are not all up to your standard Jonboy, but I am free a couple of weekends later to do the loop you mentioned! :lol:

I think we should do the Turkey Lake. We can meet in the parking area around 9 a.m.

Okay, so that loop isn't too inclusive. Actually Turkey Lake is very pretty, and if it wasn't for the ever present crowd in the lot, it would be much nicer. I have cut down from the Torrey Memorial, to the northeast, cut across the top of the wet area, and picked up the wood road on the north shore of Turkey Lake for a very nice loop. There is a good swimming rock, just off the red trail, near the dam, that I like to dive off.

As far as "Trepidation", the real Quoddy definitely couldn't make it to the cache, and I have seen how he freaks out if you go even a short distance without him. I won't lie, my suggested loop kicks butt in the hot weather, there is little shade and no water on the RD, as most of the trees have been burned off, but this is what makes it so impressive.

That will make for a nice hike. The cache on the othe side of the lake has some nice views along the way. If you decide to go to the top of Torrey Mountain expand your search area more than normal. I remember that cache being a tough find but well worth the hike up. The view is postcard worthy. Make sure to take some pics.

If you have anything left after those you can hunt a few more just up the road.

If you do the Turkey Lake Loop, Dave can try out his cologne and pink panties. :o

Really, why bother to come all the way to Harriman to do these lame drive and dumps?

I got a loop for you. Park at Jone's Point on 9W and head up the blue Timp-Torne trail, picking up "Timp Teaser" on the way to the Timp, where "Trepidation" awaits, then back track a short way to the RD (red dot on white) and follow this out to "Bald Mountain" ( one of the best vistas in the park). Continuing on the RD you can pick up a FTF at "Blunderberg", following this spectacular trail down past the point ( take the short white side trail to another fine view) to "Dunderberg Railroad Cache" and back to the car. That's five caches in a mere 8.6 miles.

If that isn't enough, you could extend the loop, by staying on the blue trail after the Timp, out to "West Mountain Lean-to". Take a quick jog east down the yellow SBM to bag "Laura Croft", then back the other way on the yellow to "Cat's Elbow". From here you pick up the red RD trail heading east to "Lost in the Ozone" and loop under the Timp on the RD to finish the original loop.

That would be nine caches in about 13 miles, and one of the most impressive ridge walks in the area. I know Dave can do it, he did 12 miles just to bag "Take a Hike".

First: those are MY pink paties dammit!

Timp-Torne trail, picking up "Timp Teaser" on the way to the Timp, where "Trepidation" awaits.

Say that 10 times fast. What if we did that loop then drive to the lame drive and dumps after? :o

Whatever, it doesn't matter to me. Just looking forwad to hanging with everyone.

The descent from Torrey Mountain is not something I would recommend for casual walkers, it is a very steep and easy to turn an ankle. It is easier done going up, but it is hard to judge the right spot to turn up. If you put a waypoint in the col where the Long Path turns down the otherside, that would work, but remember to go a little north of the waypoint and climb to the southwest. The actual slope of Torrey Mt is pretty much a cliff.

Bella, I'm sorry I gave Dave credit for your pink panty escapades. Along that line, if you are bringing children, be aware that it is not just the parking lot that hosts illicit activity. You may run into naked men on the lakeshore and I have even seen lycra clad male prostitutes plying their trade along that lake. It is a shame, I used to love that lake, but it seems to have been taken over.

I will be co-leading a trail maintenace trip in the Catskills on Saturday and on a SAR drill on Sunday. I hope you have fun.

Looking at the map (which is the scanned image that macatac also posted), I'm not sure this is a loop or a go out/come back sort of trip.

Looking at the map, we'd park and get Top of the Loop, then take Long Path towards Top of the Hill and the Bushwack cache which is the opposite side of Long Path and head up Long Path to Torrey Mountain. Then come back down Long Path and take the red trail towards Turkey Lakes C Shaped Tree and the Turkey Lake cache. Continue along the red trail around the lake where it cross a woods road and follow that road up the back side (bad term if there are men in lycra around) of the lake and get the final two caches. We'd then backtrack the woods road to the red trail back to Long Path and the parking area.

And if we all have energy left, we could go to the Silver Mine area and do a couple more (though I don't see a loop but some out and backs there as well).

David

It looks more and more like Monkey Girl and Turtle Boy (along with their regular driver and Pirate their Seeing Eye dog in training) will be joining the group. They seemed more inclined to go when they knew the Scully & Mulder crew as well as the Team DEMP girls were going.

hmmmm, any idea where you guys are gonna be around 1?

Listening for you on Channel 2 :huh:

If we get started by 9:30 (meet at 9am) that would be 3.5 hours and depending on how it goes I'd imagine we'd be around the final four caches around the lake. If the Skully & Mulder gals are on their game and their dad isn't holding them back, we could even be on our way back from completing all the caches!

Of course is we have a lot of people, we could still be signing the log at the 3rd cache! ;)

hmmmm, any idea where you guys are gonna be around 1? I'm playing softball in the morning, but Skigirl and I may be interested in catching up with y'all.

There is a real good chance they'll be done by then. At the least they'll be heading back to the parking lot.

After we are done we can hit something else like the couple at Lake Massa Whippi

Massa whippi: is that native amerian for orgie?

There are also a letterbox and some others along the palisades... if we are heading back by 1 pm we can meet up and do some more!

475.... 473.... 472 my numbers are going down, not up. Locationless caches are such a pain in the a**. So are their owners! :huh:

Wow! That's over 20 people coming! Cool  :mellow:

Wildlife beware... group cachers in the area!

Cool! I should only need 2 or 3 of you to carry me after I pass out.

Hey, since this hike won't take all day, how about we meet at 10:00AM? B)

Edited by JMBella
As a neubie to the group scene, is it cool to bring a dog or not?  [bernese Mountain Dog - big but harmless]

Sure. I'd be guessing Quoddy is bringing the REAL Quoddy and I'd imagine Skully & Mulder are bringing Autumn too.

I think the rule is it needs to be on a 6ft leash, but typically they run without a leash once we're on the trail (assuming your dog knows to come back when you whistle).

Edited by Team DEMP
Barring any unforseen events, I'm in. As I seem to be a magnet for wild things (bears, snakes, foxes, etc...) lately, maybe that will keep the wildlife in the vicinity.

As a neubie to the group scene, is it cool to bring a dog or not? [bernese Mountain Dog - big but harmless]

You'll have to ask Quoddy , Bella and Autumn if its OK.

Can anyone help with placing a permanent cache at a couple of the event cache sites.

Black Jack's Loopy multi - ammo can and two match containers

Powder Monkey - decon box

Swing the Lead - ammo can

LMK if interested, you will be able to log them again. :D

Barring any unforseen events, I'm in.  As I seem to be a magnet for wild things (bears, snakes, foxes, etc...) lately, maybe that will keep the wildlife in the vicinity.

As a neubie to the group scene, is it cool to bring a dog or not?  [bernese Mountain Dog - big but harmless]

You'll have to ask Quoddy , Bella and Autumn if its OK.

It's OK with me. Bella will love the company. Watch out for The Real Quoddy though. Last time he had his way with Bella. :smile:

Barring any unforseen events, I'm in. As I seem to be a magnet for wild things (bears, snakes, foxes, etc...) lately, maybe that will keep the wildlife in the vicinity.

As a neubie to the group scene, is it cool to bring a dog or not? [bernese Mountain Dog - big but harmless]

Autumn will enjoy the company as well ... and I second Joe's caution about The Real Quoddy :smile: ... he seems to be quite the ladies man. I have hiked in Harriman about a dozen times with Autumn and always had her off a leash. I would have one handy though in case you run into a ranger.

It's OK with me. Bella will love the company. Watch out for The Real Quoddy though. Last time he had his way with Bella. 

Great, Bailey's in! She's a real lady so I don't how she'll do with the advances. But who knows, fresh air, a hike in the woods, ... :smile:

Looking forward to it.

Has the final time [9:00, 9:30, 10:00 AM] been set to meet? Any parking coordinates?

You all suck!!!!

Obligations with karate are keeping me from joining you - I wish I could. Have a great day and I will catch you guys at the next one.

Dave - SAVE ME THAT TRACK LOG!!!!! I may try to hit this loop that you guys do on Thursday.

Have a great day! :smile: