Group Hike In Harriman/bear Mtn

avroair

Every one in your cache map I've found already. Is that the area you were looking to hit? The map was around the Pirate's Event.

For the Lurker cache, that's an area I haven't yet had the opportunity to hit so I'm all for it!!

I was also planning to do the following this weekend if the weather (and family obligations) cooperate:

Go take a hike - a 9.6 mile multi loop that passes 2 other caches. Known as the Stonetown Circular or Six and a Half Hills loop.

Windbeams Windfall - passed during the Go take a hike loop

Roo2 - also passed during the Go take a hike loop.

And then depending how long it takes and how tired I am (seems the initial part of the loop is tougher then the 2nd half) I'm scoping out two caches in Ringwood I haven't gotten yet:

Billy Bob's Cache Site #1

Governor Mtn/Cupsaw - not found on the last attempt and the cache owner hasn't been on the site in a year

and I've had the following two ready to go for a while. They are in Harriman off the circle at the end of Johnsontown Rd:

Chipmunks with a View

Mystery Cache_2

And not to derail the thread, but I think a bunch of folks want to hit up the Palisades areas of Tallman and Blauvelt State Park where there are nice clusters of caches.

David

Every one in your cache map I've found already. Is that the area you were looking to hit? The map was around the Pirate's Event.

Well aren't we "Mr. I already found all the caches in Harriman State Park"

I was also planning to do the following this weekend if the weather (and family obligations) cooperate:

Go take a hike - a 9.6 mile multi loop that passes 2 other caches. Known as the Stonetown Circular or Six and a Half Hills loop.

Windbeams Windfall - passed during the Go take a hike loop

Roo2 - also passed during the Go take a hike loop.

I don't want to give any details, but there may be a few more caches along this route within the next couple weeks.

I have a bad feeling about the Gov. Mtn Cupsaw cache. It wasn't particulalry well hidden, was close to the trail and the container was a florscent green. If its gone, it would be an excellent spot for another cache. The view from there is outstanding.

Edited by briansnat
I don't want to give any details, but there may be a few more caches along this route within the next couple weeks.
Darn you Mr Snat!!!!! Hmmm... to wait or to go again?

I have a bad feeling about the Gov. Mtn Cupsaw cache
I got an email earlier in the day from the cache owner informing me he was there 2 weeks ago and it's still there.

Well aren't we "Mr. I already found all the caches in Harriman State Park"

Other then 1 cache, I think I was with Mark to find all the others so I was confused why he posted that area. I think Quoddy has pretty much the same area covered - some we've done together and some opposite weekends. Up north there's a whole slew of caches that I haven't even attempted.

Here's my Not Founds for Harriman. The lower portion is pretty well cleared but the north portion is untouched.

harriman_nf.jpg

We may be able to come the weekend of the 8th and 9th. Let us know if camping is available. Would like a nice little getaway for the weekend.

It is. Officially, you can only camp near the lean-tos, but I've....um, I mean people I know have been camping pretty much any secluded place for years withoutg a problem.

We may be able to come the weekend of the 8th and 9th.  Let us know if camping is available.  Would like a nice little getaway for the weekend.

It is. Officially, you can only camp near the lean-tos, but I've....um, I mean people I know have been camping pretty much any secluded place for years withoutg a problem.

Are you able to make a campfire? Don't want to create an problems.

We may be able to come the weekend of the 8th and 9th.  Let us know if camping is available.  Would like a nice little getaway for the weekend.

Are you able to make a campfire? Don't want to create an problems.

Yes, unless there is a fire danger. It's been pretty wet lately so it probably isn't an issue.

There have been some car break-ins, particularly along Rt 106, also many of the parking areas in Harriman have become gay cruising areas, especially the area on Long Mountain Highway (RT6). The parking areas along Seven lakes Drive seem to be safest, as they are patrolled the most regularly. Perhaps the best is the large parking area at Silvermine, park out in the open, close to the highway in the south corner of the parking lot. Most of the furtive laisons goes on under the trees at the north end of the lot. From there you can go either way on the yellow Menomine trail to shelters. Neither of these shelters have reliable water, so you have to bring water up from below. There are also very nice spots across the dam on the north shore of Silvermine Lake, or in the tall pines on the northwest shore of Lake Nawahunta. This later spot is quite visible from the road, so I would not build a fire there. In the northeast corner of the park a place I would recommend is the hikers parking on Rt9W, opposite Iona Island. there are some very nice spots alongside the brook on the blue Cornell Mine trail, with no more than a half mile walking in. Many people swim in the cascades here. Technically, all camping should be at lean-tos, and all the Harriman lean-tos have built in fstone fire places, but they are heavily used, often by kids coming in to party, so always bring a tent or tarp.

Technically, all camping should be at lean-tos, and all the Harriman lean-tos have built in fstone fire places, but they are heavily used, often by kids coming in to party, so always bring a tent or tarp.

A ranger told me recently that they won't bother you as long as you're camped within site of a lean-to. So bring binoculars :laughing: .

Actually, as long as you camp well out of sight of a trail, and road you should be fine.

I've been doing it for many years and never have been eve questioned. Heck, a few geocachers even got away with camping in the parking lot last weekend with only a scolding from the police.

Most of the furtive laisons goes on under the trees at the north end of the lot.

How does JonBoy know all these details? Too much information for me. Just watch out for bears!

:unsure:

Maybe Search and Rescue has some funny stories related to this he's aware of :laughing: If you do, I DON'T want to hear them!!

When Cz and I did the Africa Loop we came across a few people who were packing up there stuff and had been camping along the trails - I agree with Brian, that it is an out-of-sight out of mind thing for the rangers.

Most likely, if it is someone camping out there - they probably know what they are doing and are respectful. Not always but in most cases.

I also agree with Dave - I don't want to hear THOSE stories either!!! But you would think with the DNC going on, everyone would be a bit more liberal, geeees! :laughing:

Hey, I learned what these parking lots are really used for by going after all the drive and dumps in the park. Once you start wandering around in the bushes you will quickly find yourself being stalked through the woods. Of course some might find this a welcome diversion, if so, you know where to go. I suppose I am not being politcally correct in pointing this out, but if you want to go "camp" around these lots, you may get more than you bargained for. I promise you that you won't be accosted going after my caches, but you might get blisters.

Hey, I learned what these parking lots are really used for by going after all the drive and dumps in the park.  Once you start wandering around in the bushes you will quickly find yourself being stalked through the woods.  Of course some might find this a welcome diversion, if so, you know where to go.    I suppose I am not being politcally correct in pointing this out, but if you want to go "camp" around these lots, you may get more than you bargained for.  I promise you that you won't be accosted going after my caches, but you might get blisters.

QUOTE (Rattlehead @ Jul 28 2004, 01:55 PM)

Count me in.

Anyone else find the humor in that or am I just a sick b@st@rd? :tired:

Edited by JMBella

Okay, looks like we can do multiple days. On the Sat and Sun. I need to do a little more research on Monday as to which parking lot. (I'm in CA right now and get back Sun).

There are tons oh caches. But I would like to find a nice loop and a nice hike too.

Friggin LI'ers! Hope it won't be too hilly for you guys! :P

Friggin LI'ers! Hope it won't be too hilly for you guys!  :anitongue:

I have no problem with hills but I might have my wife talked into attending so that will be interesting. How many miles are we talking about? How are the hills here compared to the Hudson highlands?

Edited by JMBella

There are 9 BigBill6 caches around Turkey Hill Lake all inside an area .9 miles between the 2 furthest. I can't see any way to loop around the lake by looking at the trail map but a little backtracking wouldn't hurt. Just a thought. Although there are a lot of lines close together on the topo map meaning bring extra water. :(

OK, the wife bailed. Didn't like all the lines on the topo map and the lack of bathrooms. :(

I compared the topo maps and this area doesn't look anywhere near as bad as the highlands jaunt. Still didn't change her mind but it makes me happy. :D

Edited by JMBella