Yes Sir, Col. Bob Sir.

Jeremy

To stay at Mulkey Shelter means taking the Col Bob Trail, about 15 miles RT. The Pete's Crek Trail is under nine.

One option is to drive down on Friday and we can have an awesome geo-tailgate party at the trailhead. Sleep in the back of your car or truck and wake up early to a hot breakfast and head up from there.

The long version of our adventure and near loss of Patch the SuperDog are here.

One option is to drive down on Friday and we can have an awesome geo-tailgate party at the trailhead. Sleep in the back of your car or truck and wake up early to a hot breakfast and head up from there.

If you're talking Pete's Creek Trailhead, the Campbell Tree Grove Campground looks pretty close, too. And is free. (Well, NW Forest Pass required, but you'll need that for the trailhead, too.)

If you're talking Pete's Creek Trailhead, the Campbell Tree Grove Campground looks pretty close, too. And is free.

This makes better sense for me. I can do the car camping thing and meet you guys at the trailhead in the AM.

I don't object to a Friday departure, but I'll have to make sure someone is watching the site when I'm gone.

Well, I'm not going to be making this one, but my heart will be with you guys.

I'll be installing some new equipment at the office that weekend.

That excuse saves me from admitting that this one looks like a little more that I could handle anyway.

I'm looking at a somewhat easier hike this weekend up the Mountain Loop. Anyone interested in a trip to Monte Cristo plus a few of the new caches along the Mountain Loop?

If you're talking Pete's Creek Trailhead, the Campbell Tree Grove Campground looks pretty close, too. And is free.

This makes better sense for me. I can do the car camping thing and meet you guys at the trailhead in the AM.

I don't object to a Friday departure, but I'll have to make sure someone is watching the site when I'm gone.

Yep! That works out well for me too!

Well, I'm not going to be making this one, but my heart will be with you guys.

I'll be installing some new equipment at the office that weekend.

That excuse saves me from admitting that this one looks like a little more that I could handle anyway.

I'm looking at a somewhat easier hike this weekend up the Mountain Loop. Anyone interested in a trip to Monte Cristo plus a few of the new caches along the Mountain Loop?

Sorry about that RWW! I saw Criminal's cache up there all nice and virgin like and this just excited me for some DA reason. :rolleyes:

For the next one, we'll certainly consider a trail under your guidance. ;)

Depending on the status of my health, we (or I) am planning on making it up to Quinault for the trip. As it is a much shorter drive for me from Aberdeen, and due to the fact that I have to pick up the spousal unit at the airport Friday evening and therefore can't be camping...

Anybody have a good time suggestion for meeting at the trailhead?

-=-

michelle

Cambell tree grove is an awesome campground but primitive. Out houses and a couple of water spigits only. But they have Giant Fir trees . I have been there many times. You guys will love it! and yes they have picnic tables and fire rings too. The river is only yards from some campsites. Hope to see you there!

Wander down if you want/need a beer.

Drinking in a National Forest? Why I never!

What'll you be serving? Pabst Blue Ribbon?

I might experiment with setting up the X to fit me and Chewie laying down and my gear stowed. If it works, I may join you at the trailhead to save myself the trouble of bivouacking.

It's taking about 15 minutes or more to get the site to load pages, and most are timing out. Getting frustrating...

I plan to drive down Friday night and sleep in the truck bed at the trailhead. I'll throw a 12 pack of either Hineys or St Paulie girls (the beer, not real girls) to "help me sleep". I'll get up early and do up some bacon and eggs and wait for the campground users to get up, shower, shave, and drive down to the trailhead for the hike.

Sounds like a great hike! I was doing some research on the area and came across this bit of info and figured I'd pass it along.

Col. Bob Wilderness

NOTICE: Fires above 3,500 feet elevation and groups consisting of more than 12 persons and/or 8 livestock are prohibited within the Wilderness. STOVES ONLY above 3,500 feet elevation.

We ran into a similar regulation on our last backpacking trip. We just claimed to be two seperate groups for the backcountry permit. Hopefully you guys won't have a problem.

NOTICE: Fires above 3,500 feet elevation and groups consisting of more than 12 persons and/or 8 livestock are prohibited within the Wilderness. STOVES ONLY above 3,500 feet elevation.

We ran into a similar regulation on our last backpacking trip. We just claimed to be two seperate groups for the backcountry permit. Hopefully you guys won't have a problem.

Since we're not camping in the wilderness area, I don't think we'll have a problem. I see so many people on trails in wilderness areas some days it's hard to distinguish one group from another. And if we have 24 people show up, one group of 12 can lag a few feet behind another group of 12 and we're in compliance.

Besides, the chances of running into a ranger is nill.

And if we have 24 people show up, one group of 12 can lag a few feet behind another group of 12 and we're in compliance.

As these hikes generally go, we tend to spread out anyway based on our own personal pace so I don't see this as a problem. As a precaution, each member could simply sign their own tag and that gets past any "group" issues.

Sounds like a great hike! I was doing some research on the area and came across this bit of info and figured I'd pass it along.

Col. Bob Wilderness

There were more than 12 at the Melakawa Lake hike, so we just registered as individuals. We just happened to run into each other on the trail :laughing:

When does everyone think they'll be out there next Friday (or Saturday)?

I'm planning my experiments for next week, and I'm trying to make sure I'm out of here early, but not so early I have to burn vacation time. :tired: I want to get there at a decent hour Friday, but on the other hand there's no sense getting there at 5 if everyone else is coming after dark.

How long does it take to get there from downtown Seattle? I'll probably just get there late so I can put some hours in at work.

I'd guess 3 hrs or so.

This is one of those Olympic locations where being in Bremerton produces no advantage. I'm allowing 3 hrs from Bremerton but am hoping skipping the bridge and going through Shelton trims that down.

Of course, I may have to make some cache stops so maybe I should allow 5 hrs.

Looking at what I just said, maybe I'll leave right from Seattle that day and save myself the ferry ride. The dog won't mind waiting for me in the car...

Well, I'll have to see if Mrs. Moose wants to come along or not before I can plan on that. Anyone want to carpool if I do leave from Seattle?

Well, that might not work either, because I'd want to go straight home to Bremerton.

Argh. Sometimes I love having a moat, sometimes I hate it.

It's about 3.5 hours from Kirkland. Adjust accordingly.

Criminal can confirm this to be true, but the NFS shows there is a bridge out on FR-22, so you have to take the detour.

Here's the directions from I-405/I-5 junction.

I-5 South from I-405 junction  49.9 mi

Turn off onto Ramp   0.4 mi US-101 / Aberdeen / Port Angeles

Bear RIGHT (North) onto US-101  5.6 mi

Bear LEFT (West) onto SR-8  20.7 mi

Continue (West) on US-12  21.0 mi

Continue (South-West) on US-101 [E Wishkah St] 33.2 mi

Turn RIGHT (East) onto FR-2220 Rd 4.0 mi

At FR-2220 Rd, Quinault, WA 98575, stay on FR-2220 Rd (East) 4.0 mi

Bear RIGHT (East) onto Local road(s) 1.1 mi

Turn LEFT (North) onto FR-2302 Rd 9.7 mi

Arrive Campbell Tree Grove Campground  

I have the coordinates as:

N47°28.927'

W123°41.130'

Edited by TotemLake

The long drive was the reason I suggested sleeping at the TH, and the reason the Olympics are largely ignored by the local cachers.

I’ll be departing Gig Harbor after work, around 6:30 or 7.

Those directions look good TL. I just spoke to someone at the ranger’s office, the bridge is repaired so road 22 is usable. If you have autorouting it will take you there.

It doesn’t get dark until pretty late, like 10 or 10:30, but given that the area is down in a valley, I’d subtract an hour or so. I’ll be in the bed of the truck and under the stars, no tent to set up.

How long does it take to get there from downtown Seattle? I'll probably just get there late so I can put some hours in at work.

I'd plan about 3 1/2 hours. Col. Bob is an hour from Aberdeen and with normal traffic Aberdeen is almost exactly 2 hours from Seattle. Friday evening is not normal traffic so add in the half hour buffer. At a minimum probably. :tired:

Still consulting with Mrs. Stump about whether I'll be there or not. Hopefully, worst case is I drive up Saturday morning.

I'm so sad ! I'm staying at lake Quinault lodge on Wednesday and Thursday

next week, but have to be back for work on Saturday. I normally go fishing with wonderful guide Jerod on my annual summer Quinault quest, but Criminals wonderful photos and description of this lovely trail have me thinking 1 day of fishing and 1 day of hiking/caching would be a better idea. Of course, I'm not sure if MayDay and I will make the summit..but we'll try. Wish I could stay over an extra day and join all of you. I really, really do. :P

... Criminals wonderful photos and description of this lovely trail have me thinking 1 day of fishing and 1 day of hiking/caching would be a better idea. Of course, I'm not sure if MayDay and I will make the summit..but we'll try. Wish I could stay over an extra day and join all of you. I really, really do.

Just go bag that FTF before the rest of us get there... :P

Just go bag that FTF before the rest of us get there... :P

I'll give it my best shot...but it's a couple miles more than I'm used to ! Find or DNF, I'm hoping I find it as pretty and snap some equally pretty pictures to log. Geez I'm hoping I can find the trailhead at this stage... :D

Just go bag that FTF before the rest of us get there...  :D

I'll give it my best shot...but it's a couple miles more than I'm used to ! Find or DNF, I'm hoping I find it as pretty and snap some equally pretty pictures to log. Geez I'm hoping I can find the trailhead at this stage... :P

Make sure you hide something for us on the way. :P

Unless you like long bumpy roads fs 2220 is not the one to take.

Take 101 north from Hoquim, after you pass the Promised Land Park , take the next right. It is fs 22 or as the sign says Donkey creek road. After 4-6 miles ( don't hold me to this, I hardly ever check mileage) the road will change to one lane. Turn left here on fs road 2302, another 2 lane road here you will find a few miles of open straight road to blow the carbon out of your exhaust. This road will drop to one lane and become a gravel road. after you cross the bridge over the humptulips gorge ( there are two caches there) veer right and you are on the home stretch to the trail , about 8 more miles.