Topo Vs. Metroguide

Apparently these are my only options, I don't have a problem with that..

Topo, MetroGuide. ( I live in Canada)

But I don't know what they are exactly..

I am new to this and need a map, better than what was preloaded in My Rino 120. I will be using it for basic directions as well as on the water and in the bush..

I am also interested in being able to locate campsites and gas station with this software, apparently both do that.. Does one supply more information that the other? Any experiences?

Please help..

Pyd!

Sounds like you need both. Honestly...

Topo is far and away better for being off road, finding trails, and seeing where the heck the water is at.

Metroguide will have a up to date roadway map and should have better and more POI's. (I have to infer from City Select so someone can correct me...).

You sound like you would actually use the different aspects of each map.

Sounds like you need both. Honestly...

Topo is far and away better for being off road, finding trails, and seeing where the heck the water is at.

Metroguide will have a up to date roadway map and should have better and more POI's. (I have to infer from City Select so someone can correct me...).

You sound like you would actually use the different aspects of each map.

Can I operate both on my GPS? Obviouslly not at the same time, but will it hold both?

I would get Metroguide. I have both and on my old Vista it was nearly impossible to use Topo on it due to the size of the screen and lack of color. The Topo lines would blend with everything else leaving you trying to figure out which line was a road, creek, trail, or elevation line. Metroguide does in fact contain nearly all the same data except for the lack of topography lines.

I would get Metroguide. I have both and on my old Vista it was nearly impossible to use Topo on it due to the size of the screen and lack of color. The Topo lines would blend with everything else leaving you trying to figure out which line was a road, creek, trail, or elevation line. Metroguide does in fact contain nearly all the same data except for the lack of topography lines.

This is the answer I was looking for.. Thank you.. Decision made.

I would get Metroguide.  I have both and on my old Vista it was nearly impossible to use Topo on it due to the size of the screen and lack of color.  The Topo lines would blend with everything else leaving you trying to figure out which line was a road, creek, trail, or elevation line.  Metroguide does in fact contain nearly all the same data except for the lack of topography lines.

This is the answer I was looking for.. Thank you.. Decision made.

Your very welcome. Just so you know on one the new color GPS units such as the 60CS which I purchased recently the Topo map is fantastic.

Just as a side note the accuracy of the roads in Roads and Rec. and Topo is not the greatest. Many many missing and misplaced streets but it's not all lost it is very helpful at times but you just have to be prepared for it to be wrong at times.

Edited by MacBandit

When building the map to transfer to the GPS you select the area you want from one map and then change to another map and add the area you want from that one as well. Once you have completed selecting maps sections from all your maps then you transfer the data to your GPS. Your GPS will then have multiple maps you can switch between.

You can hold both.  If the Rhino operates like other Garmins you can toggle between the two map set.  If both are on one will "Dominate" and you will need to turn it off to see the other.

How do you do that?

Once in your GPS call up a menu from the map page. You should have the option to turn on or off a specific map, or map set. Different Garmins do this a little differently.

You can hold both.  If the Rhino operates like other Garmins you can toggle between the two map set.  If both are on one will "Dominate" and you will need to turn it off to see the other.

How do you do that?

Once in your GPS call up a menu from the map page. You should have the option to turn on or off a specific map, or map set. Different Garmins do this a little differently.

I have the Vista. I will have to check it out. Thanks.

How do you do that?

The vista is pretty much the same as all the other higher end Garmins. Once in the map setup menu go to the Map Information icon it's the one with the letter 'i' within a bubble. Once there hit Menu again and you will get the option to turn off or on whole map sets.

How do you do that?

The vista is pretty much the same as all the other higher end Garmins. Once in the map setup menu go to the Map Information icon it's the one with the letter 'i' within a bubble. Once there hit Menu again and you will get the option to turn off or on whole map sets.

I have the topo mapset on, but no topo. Pretty weird.

How do you do that?

I have the topo mapset on, but no topo. Pretty weird.

Try turning off all mapsets and then turning on just topo.