Caches In Flood Plains

TeamK-9

Right now, I'm planning a very unique cache. Because of it's nature, and general theme, it needs to be somewhere close to a closed or abandoned road. Unfortunately in my area, most roads are abandoned because of army corp of engineers dam projects.

Anyway, so the cache I'm looking to place is going to definately be in a flood plain. Prone to high water a few times a year. The final stage will be an ammo can, but the first stage will be a different kind of container, completely waterproof, with no need to be opened or closed.

Anyway, I'm wondering what kinds of precautions people take in areas that caches may be prone to simply floating away.

Also, if you think you can help me with the first stage mystery container, and your non-local to Pennsylvania, PM me and I'll give you details...

It should also be Silt proof and sink proof. I had a mortar case cache container that was waterproof. It was hooked to a peg in the ground by a 10 foot steel cable. A flood came and buried the whole thing in about 4 inches of mud. Still can't find the thing. I might suggest putting it up in a tree. Unless the river floods and knocks the tree over such that the top goes into the river, people should still be able to find it once it dries out enough to go back.

Where possiable I chain or use a rope and snap to tie the cache down to a dead standing tree. I would suggest dead so you don't have worry so much about it damaging the tree, and standing because a fallen one might float or roll away. If you can find a big rock or fence post or marker (all kinds of weird stuff on old road beds!) that might work too. But as you know, sometimes such things are not close enough to the spot to be usefull.

I've never tried the tent stake idea, and sorta doubt I will. Around here the soil in flood areas are usually either sand which won't hold much, or riverbottom silt, which though is sometimes sticky mud, IMO wouldn't hold a stake down during flooding. But like I said, never tried it.