Getting started...

Desert_Warrior

Howdy Y-all,

Stumbled across this web site while researching information on the Franklin Mountains in El Paso, TX. I am retired army. I have been training some HS ROTC cadets on land navigation. Since I know I can do it, I have been using a GARMIN E-Trex to verify the cadets' resection skills.

I noticed there are a few caches in the local area. I thought it might be neat to translate the Lat/Lon to MGRS, and assign the cadets the task of finding them. But before I do this, I wanted to make sure it would be OK. I would be accompanying them. So is it, and are there any rules to be obeyed... or anything I/we should know?

Thanks Y-all. Have a great weekend.

Mike.

U.S. Army Retired.

My E-mail address: mailto:kd9kc@elp.rr.com

Ham Radio page: http://www.qsl.net/kd9kc/

Gun page: http://home.elp.rr.com/elpasochl/

Dog page: http://www.geocities.com/heartland/estates/4174

Member:

National Rifle Association.

Texas State Rifle Association.

Fort Bliss Practical Shooting Club.

United States Practical Shooting Association.

Gun Owners of America.

Holder:

Texas Concealed Handgun License.

Freedom is expensive. Those who are not willing to pay the price ultimately lose everything.

Started out as a 24H. Since I have been in electronics since the age of 8, I soon picked up 24J. Years later I became a section chief, and got 26H. Later, also took up 24K. By the time I was in the Gulf War, I ended up driving a mobile repair shop for electronics into the ground assault. I went in right behind 18th Abn Corps, 24th ID (Mech). We tried to repair anything with electrons running through it until we lost our truck (and almost our lives) to a mine or something. Got pretty hairy there. After the Gulf War, I spent 4 years doing Counter Narcotics operations in a multi-agency roll to the south of the U.S. For my last year, I was NCOIC of the Ft. Bliss MARS station. I am just starting my 8th year in a new career. First they give me a power plant to play with. Then they send a bunch of great guys to play with me. (All hams too). Then every two weeks they dump a huge amount of money in my bank account. And I do not need to jump out of a plane or get shot at to collect! Life doesn't get any better then this!

Mike.

quote:
Originally posted by KD9KC:

So is it, and are there any rules to be obeyed... or anything I/we should know?

If you want them to fully enjoy the spirit of geocaching, have them bring something to trade out (maybe just a quarter or something). You (being the "official" geocaching player) should definitely bring something for the trade. You should definitely sign the book, and you can have them sign it if you want.

Otherwise, sounds cool! You might want to scout out the caches first to know what you're looking for, and just where it is. Or you can trust the kids to find em. icon_smile.gif

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

quote:
Originally posted by KD9KC:

So is it, and are there any rules to be obeyed... or anything I/we should know?

If you want them to fully enjoy the spirit of geocaching, have them bring something to trade out (maybe just a quarter or something). You (being the "official" geocaching player) should definitely bring something for the trade. You should definitely sign the book, and you can have them sign it if you want.

Otherwise, sounds cool! You might want to scout out the caches first to know what you're looking for, and just where it is. Or you can trust the kids to find em. icon_smile.gif

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!