Rating Caches

Caches are currently rated only by Difficulty and Terrain by whomever places the cache. It would be pretty cool for the cache finders to rate the cache from 1-5 starts based on the overall quality of the cache (similar to a Netflix rating system). While most caches are good, some are better than others. I recently hit a cache that was fantastic and I would love to give a five star score!

Has there ever been a discussion about adding a user rating feature to the geocaching web site? If not, who could I contact to make the suggestion?

There have dozens of threads on this subject. My feeling, which some agree with, is that reading the logs will give you all the info you need. A rating system is too subjective. A guy who prefers micros in Walmart parking lots would likely give a cache that involves a long hike a poor rating. Someone who hates micros, will probably give all micros a bad rating no matter how well thought out they are.

Check the logs. Are there numerous 1 and 2 line logs that say little more than "TNLNSL, Thanks" or "Thanks for the cache"? If so, the cache is probably a stinker. If instead you see numerous multi paragraph logs, especially ones detailing the hunt and praising the cache, you know the cache is probably an excellent one.

If you think the cache is a great one. Don't hold back in your log. Sing its praises. The cache owner will certainly like to hear that his effort is appreciated.

Edited by briansnat
Check the logs. Are there numerous 1 and 2 line logs that say little more than "TNLNSL, Thanks" or "Thanks for the cache". If so, the cache is probably a stinker. If instead you see numerous multi paragraph logs, especially ones detailing the hunt and praising the cache, you know the cache is probably an excellent one.

It would be interesting to be able to sort a list of caches by average length of log. Imagine you were going to a new area on vacation - enter the zip code, find all caches within 10 miles, then sort by length of log - you'd probably get a pretty good representation of the which caches are the best in the area...

I also wish there was a way to rate a cache. in the meantime I've been putting my "recommended caches" in my profile. Cachers in my location will probabally look at it more than others. so hopefully it will give them some good information on the good caches in the area. (as well as ones to look for while they are traveling). I spell out what it is that I like about the cache, and if it doesn't interest them, they can move on. since some are good because of scenery, location, difficulty, or just uniqueness.

Another problem with cache rating, similar to what Brian pointed out is that people see caches at different stages in it's life....

The first guy who comes to a cache may find awesome prizes and great swag, that guy rates it a 5 out of 5. Two weeks and ten visits later, the cache isn't so good, mostly broken toys and golf balls, the guy who finds it then might rate it a one.

So basically, the whole rating system would be screwed up just that quickly..

I certainly try to 'tip off' what kind of cache it is in my logs. You can convey what it was you didn't care for without being rude (I try to bear in mind somebody else might love sinking up to her ankles in bilge water in a thicket of blackberry thorns), and I definitely say I loved it if I loved it.

I'm also reluctant to put signature items or anything nice in a cache I didn't like. It feels like an endorsement, doesn't it? Then again, I went through a few weeks where I didn't have much loot on me and I did a bunch of TNLN in caches that I liked.

Check the logs. Are there numerous 1 and 2 line logs that say little more than "TNLNSL, Thanks" or "Thanks for the cache". If so, the cache is probably a stinker. If instead you see numerous multi paragraph logs, especially ones detailing the hunt and praising the cache, you know the cache is probably an excellent one.

It would be interesting to be able to sort a list of caches by average length of log. Imagine you were going to a new area on vacation - enter the zip code, find all caches within 10 miles, then sort by length of log - you'd probably get a pretty good representation of the which caches are the best in the area...

I believe there is a way to do that with GSAK. I think you'll get better results that from a simple rating system.

I certainly try to 'tip off' what kind of cache it is in my logs. You can convey what it was you didn't care for without being rude (I try to bear in mind somebody else might love sinking up to her ankles in bilge water in a thicket of blackberry thorns), and I definitely say I loved it if I loved it.

I'm also reluctant to put signature items or anything nice in a cache I didn't like. It feels like an endorsement, doesn't it? Then again, I went through a few weeks where I didn't have much loot on me and I did a bunch of TNLN in caches that I liked.

Well there you have it! I formally request, nay, demand, a feature that will allow a user to sort PQs by Auntie Weasel logs containing the words "I loved it". Someone make that happen. OK? Thanks. :laughing: