Members Only Cache

BASSETSLAVE

I am not a member yet. I have got a question? One of our local cachers, who is a member, placed a cache in a park in our area. Since I am not a member and I can't view the coordinates. I almost placed a cache on top of his. I know that one of the rules of the game is that you have to be at least 0.1-0.2 of a mile from a known cache. Since I didn't know where this cache was located I almost set a cache on top of his. What parameters keeps me from making this mistake?

P.S I got the coordinates from a fellow geocacher who is a member.

Thanks

BASSETSLAVE

-----------

If you have the nose of a basset there is no cache that you can not find and you are never lost.

anibasset1.gif

My guess is an approver would tell you that it was too close. They have tools that tell them that.

Otherwise, I don't think you would know.

Which leads me to a question that I have:

When deciding to do a cache do you place it first and then hope it gets approved or do you ask for approval and then place the cache?

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Before doing any placing, I'd know what caches were in the General area. If there was a MOC, I'd select my location, then come home and do a cache search from those coordinates. It won't give you the coordinates of the MOC, but it will tell you how far it is from your starting coordinates.

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

Sounds like another good reason for my cache pre-approval idea. icon_biggrin.gif

Luckily, there are very few MOCs around here. You can get a general idea where one is by looking at how close and what direction it is to other caches. If you look at a few caches in the area you are thinking of placing a cache, and look at "other nearby caches" you can guess pretty close where the MOC is. If it looks questionable, I would run it by an approver before placing the cache.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by IV_Warrior:

Before doing any placing, I'd know what caches were in the General area. If there was a MOC, I'd select my location, then come home and do a cache search from those coordinates. It won't give you the coordinates of the MOC, but it will tell you how far it is from your starting coordinates.

IV_Warrior's suggestion will give you the best information on distance, but for just checking out an area to see if you might be too close to a member-only cache, use the map feature. You will still see the icons for any MOCs, you just won't be able to check the coordinates. If you do find one on the map, then you can use IV_Warrior's method to get a better idea of how far away you are.

Ron/yumitori

[This message was edited by yumitori on March 11, 2003 at 11:28 AM.]