"approvers" And Their Egos.

Team MJDJ

So what we have is an "approver" who doesn't know a THING about me or my lifestyle, and yet is judging me and my intentions.

My son and I recently planted a cache (GCK0E4) at Heffley Lake near Kamloops in BC. We've been going to this lake since he was TWO, and since this is our TENTH ANNIVERSARY, we decided to pay tribute to this place by hiding a cache on a small island near the WEST end of the lake.

I received an e-mail from the pseudo-approver telling me that "HE" isn't going to allow it since it is more than 150 miles from my stated home co-ordinates.

I tried reasoning with this lifeform, showing him that I have two other LONG-DISTANCE caches (GCG3DR and GCJF4C) that are "closer" (as the crow flies) but which take longer to reach because of the many miles of gravel road. I also noted that these caches were approved WITHOUT QUESTION or inquisition.

He then suggests that I planted this one (GCK0E4) as a "Holiday Cache" which is expressly forbidden...another one of these "rules" that apparently have no exceptions!

I went on to tell this "approver" that because we have family and friends throughout the Province, we do a lot of travelling; furthermore WHY on earth would I go through all the trouble of planning, stocking, creating, hiding, photographing and reporting a cache if my alleged intent is to ignore it?

Unwavering, he suggests that I don't travel because I don't have any finds logged in the area.

I thereon presented TWO examples of caches that I did seek:

GC8F30 - a find.

GC720C - a DNF, although my log entry http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...da-300240a45d73 shows a picture to prove that we were indeed in the area.

This evidence is not considered valid for some reason or other.

I don't know about the rest of you, but when I am on business, or holidays or visiting family, I don't always consider it as an opportunity to go Geocaching! I have a life and concerns outside of this hobby and as such it doesn't occupy my every waking moment.

Sure there are times when I get halfway to 100 Mile House and I think to myself: "Geez! I wish I had brought my GPS, I remember reading about a cache nearby...."

Apparently for one's credibility to be worth anything, one has to devote every breath and every waking moment to the "sport" or else you are considered (by the PTB) to be an untrustworthy miscreant, whose only purpose is to create "litter" and give caching a bad name.

Give me a break!

I offer TEAM KFWB GPS as an example...their own Biography states that:

"TEAM KFWB GPS HAS BEEN ACTIVELY INVOLVED IN PLACING CACHES ALL OVER CALIFORNIA, NEVADA, OREGON, UTAH AND BRITISH COLUMBIA SINCE 1989."

...the last time I checked, it was more than 150 miles from Nevada to BC.

Don't get me wrong, I admire and respect the work and effort by KFWB, but according to this "approver", the rules have NO EXCEPTIONS.

To me, this simply reeks of an individual stroking their ego after having been given a wee bit of "power".

There is no room for this sort of megalomania in this hobby...several worthy and respectable cachers have given up on this hobby because of the powerplays and politics...and now, I am poised to leave as well.

When the FUN is gone from a hobby, it is time to find a new one.

Many of the personalities (for lack of a better word) involved in the politics have sucked the life right out of this game.

Edited by Team MJDJ

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the

Please refrain from bashing the Volunteer Cache Reviewer if your cache was not listed, work with the Reviewer or send an email to approvers@geocaching.com

Thank you

So why is it that the Approvers don't "respect" the members?

The reviewer-notes posted on my cache page basically state that I am a liar, a fabricator and that I am untrustworthy. Why does he consider it necessary to treat members with such a demeaning and condescending attitude? Whatever happened to Innocent until proven guilty?

Are all members treated this way, or just those with which he's had "issues" in the past?

For the record, I have great respect for many of the members and the other Approvers. I am merely voicing my opinion on the control-issues that are being abused by ONE individual, because of a grudge. If this offends him, then it undoubtedly applies to him.

I HAVE contacted Geocaching.com regarding this, in the meantime, the damage being done is irreversible. I hope he is enjoying this...

Edited by Team MJDJ
I HAVE contacted Geocaching.com regarding this, in the meantime, the damage being done is irreversible. I hope he is enjoying this...

I thought I had made that perfectly clear...

In a case such as this, I believe the onus is on the "approver" to give examples as to WHY a particular cacher cannot be trusted to have a Cache beyond the magical distance limit.

Why are Approvers and other selected members allowed this variance?

What specifically, have I done to warrant the suspicion and lack of respect?

What caches of mine have been "abandoned" and turned into landscape litter?

How many of my caches have been ravaged by "wild animals"?

Any other Approver and Moderator can see the cache-page in question...are you telling me that you see NOTHING disrespectful and/or condescending in the tone of the "approver"?

This attitude sure says alot about how GC.com feels about their members...

Since most GC members can't access the Cache-page and won't know about everything that went down, here are some screen-captures of the events:

http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v79/MJ...ching/Part1.jpg

http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v79/MJ...ching/Part2.jpg

http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v79/MJ...ching/Part3.jpg

http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v79/MJ...ching/Part4.jpg

http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v79/MJ...ching/Part5.jpg

http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v79/MJ...ching/Part6.jpg

http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v79/MJ...ching/Part7.jpg

http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v79/MJ...ching/Part8.jpg

http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v79/MJ...ching/Part9.jpg

http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v79/MJ...hing/Part10.jpg

Start at Part10 and work your way UP the page to see the events in chronological order.

Edited by Team MJDJ

Sorry, I dont see the attitude. I see a reviewer doing the Job he signed up to do. If you already contacted Approvers@ then posting here is just sour grapes and you just want to vent. Once you escalate to Approvers@ its out of the reviewers hands. Sit tight and wait for an answer. Trashing a reviewer in the forums will not help your case and it make you look like you are doing what you accused the approver of.

At the risk of ruining my reputation :( I have to agree with Fellwalker's decision. Also, I don't see him as bordering on slander nor do I see him calling you a liar. He based his decision on all the evidence he could find. Unfortunately, since he doesn't know you he couldn't possibly give much consideration to your assurance that you are able to maintain the cache. All he really had to go on is your geocaching reputation; a reputation that is based on your hiding and your finding record (and quite possibly one's attitude in the forums). Perhaps if you had more then 2 finds in the area the decision may have been different?

What I do find disrespectful (from the gc.com side) is the forum moderator waving the guidelines before addressing your concern. Although I must give cache-tech credit for not deleting your original post.

Sorry, I dont see the attitude. I see a reviewer doing the Job he signed up to do. If you already contacted Approvers@ then posting here is just sour grapes and you just want to vent. Once you escalate to Approvers@ its out of the reviewers hands. Sit tight and wait for an answer. Trashing a reviewer in the forums will not help your case and it make you look like you are doing what you accused the approver of.

Thanks for your two bits...are you implying that I HAVEN'T contacted Approvers@GC? Why is it that all members are assumed to be lying, untrustworthy felons by those in positions of power?

Haven't you gotten the impression by now that I don't CARE if the cache in question is approved or not...this is a matter of PRINCIPLES and about being SLANDERED by an individual who knows NOTHING about me and has NO precedent to be treating me like a criminal..

The question at hand gentlemen is what makes this distance limitation reasonable? Or if it appears to be reasonable what can the cache owner do to show that they can maintain the cache.

Barring that, then should they seek a friend to help them maintain it and that would solve the problem?

Since there are two reviewers allready in this thread I think we can get a clear answer.

The problem is a "control issue". I have told the mock-approver that I was willing and ABLE to maintain this cache.

He summarily decided that I was a liar and couldn't be trusted.

That is the READER'S DIGEST version of the events. I think J5 put it best when he said:

"If others have lied to approvers and their caches or cache placements have proven to be inappropriate, then that's something that should be dealt with on an as-required basis.

To paint everyone as a liar and a cheat really is very disrespectful."

It may just be Tupperware, but now my credibility has been called into question by someone who doesn't know me from Adam...and that's where I draw the line!

If there is something in my history AS A GEOCACHER that gives him cause to consider, that's one thing. But to be UNJUSTIFIABLY lumped into the same crowd as the less-than-scrupulous cachers is a travesty....AND is very disrespectful.

...and since being "respectful" is the catchphrase du jour....

First of all, I just want to say that I don't appreciate all the yelling and angry attitude. I'm sorry that you are upset, but you really do need to calm down.

That said, I do know that I have a cache that is somewhat similar distance wise, that I placed two years ago. I make every effort to maintain it and take care of it, more so than any of my other caches, to show gc.com that I am able to maintain a long-distance cache. But like you, I very rarely go to any caches in that area, even though I visit a lot. The simple reason - I have a husband that doesn't usually like to take time out to cache, so I have to go with his schedule. But fortunately, it is always easy to make a quick stop to check my own cache.

this is a matter of PRINCIPLES and about being SLANDERED by an individual who knows NOTHING about me and has NO precedent to be treating me like a criminal..

Hmmm....sounds vaguely familiar.........

...Your remarks aren't "respectful" either, Sparky!

...thanks so much for your concern.

Edited by Team MJDJ
this is a matter of PRINCIPLES and about being SLANDERED by an individual who knows NOTHING about me and has NO precedent to be treating me like a criminal..

...and we never asked for comments from the American Contigent, this is a Canadian matter and it will be settled without guns, bombs, invasions or missions to discover WMD...that's how WE do things north of 49.

For a peace-loving Canadian you sure are throwing a lot of bombs around. :(

...and we never asked for comments from the American Contigent, this is a Canadian matter and it will be settled without guns, bombs, invasions or missions to discover WMD...that's how WE do things north of 49.

Nothing disrepectful at all....just an all too familiar rant. Not surprising, considering.

Oh, and, "ouch", that bomb and WMD thing hurt. Really. It did. Yeah. Uh huh. Please, I know a lot of Canadians, don't try to lump your comments and perceived abuses by the approvers together with them, it's not fair to them to be insulted that way.

Here's a thought: Follow the advice already given, and wait for TPTB to contact you instead of coming in here and insulting your approver and stirring the pot. What do you think that's going to accomplish? Your reputation precedes you, and your abusive words don't add much polish to it. I don't see any reason to be disrespectful to the entire community (hint: everyone can read the Canadian forums, and everyone is allowed to post in the Canadian forums.....keep that in mind if you want a personal conversation). Seems like this is a weekly thing with someone, coming to the forums to gripe and moan about their cache not being approved. Pretty much anyone in the forums can recite the procedure by heart now, and pretty much anyone can tell you that most of the time (if not all of the time) there are details left out by the poor pitiful abused cacher, that when brought to light of day, pretty much put the nails in the coffin.

Procede if you want. I don't think you have anything to lose, but I can guarantee you have absolutely nothing to gain. Knock yourself out, the popcorn is ready, and so are we.

Before this gets waaay off track here are my $0.02 CDN on the matter...

If I was the approver, based on the information you have given, yourself, I wouldn't have approved it as it stood either.

From your description you say that you are a frequent visitor to the area, but it seems like you only go there once a year? Are you willing to drive all the way there if there is an issue?

How long does it actually take to drive there, and get to the cache with a boat? That would be more helpful than the 150 miles thing?

As for the privacy of your friends information (e-mail) the approver didn't ask you for a friend's e-mail address, he asked you to elicit the help of a local geocacher, hence someone you already has their email address with the site.

It seems to me that the approver gave you options, but you instead decided to get all bent out of shape about it.

You said it yourslelf, the approver doesn't know you from adam, so he/she has to go by the information at hand. You havn't done much, in my opinion, other than reply to questions with bluster and accusations.

That's all... I hope you get it approved, it sounds nice, but you are going to have to work within the guidlines, or post it somewhere else.

Dude, before you even think about ranting in here, clean the profanity out of your profile!!! :D

From his profile:

Biography:

Dangerously close to calling it quits. What USED TO BE an interesting and fun hobby has been soured by politics, regulations, anal Approvers, self-appointed demi-Gods and personalities that require fine-tuning. If it wasn't for my kids, I would have given this bulls**t up a LONG time ago!

Dang, is that how you talk around your kids in Canada? My, what a lesson in life they must be learning. :(

Carry on Sparky, you know how much respect I have for you and how much I value your opinons and attitude!

Ever since we handed you your tail over at the Sandbox, you've been such a non-issue...but hey, never give up on a dream!

As for the others, I provided the "approver" with all the details he needed to APPROVE the cache. It is a mere 4 hours from my home, unlike others I have that are physically CLOSER but take longer to reach.

There is NOTHING in my history as a Geocacher (despite what that baiting Sparky-troll would have you believe) that suggests that I can't or won't look after my caches.

This is simply a POWER-trip...

...and I see that nobody has addressed the issue of KFWB....convenient!

Edited by Team MJDJ
Carry on Sparky, you know how much respect I have for you and your attitude!

Ever since we handed you your tail over at the Sandbox, you've been such a non-issue...but hey, never give up on a dream!

So, how are things over at the Sandbox? You been elected queen yet?

Dang, is that how you talk around your kids in Canada?  My, what a lesson in life they must be learning. :(

Perhaps I should <link to quote removed by moderator> some of Sparky's more colourful comments from another Canadian caching forum. I'd get a severe warning if I did, though since they make MJDJ's profile like pretty tame.

BTW - TPTB at The Sandbox cordially invite all of you to join in on the discussion already taking place at The Sandbox regarding this very topic.

Edited by cache-tech

Reference > The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy > 3. Proverbs

PREVIOUS NEXT

CONTENTS · INDEX · GUIDE · BIBLIOGRAPHIC RECORD

The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition. 2002.

You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar

You can win people to your side more easily by gentle persuasion and flattery than by hostile confrontation.

Dang, is that how you talk around your kids in Canada?  My, what a lesson in life they must be learning. :(

Perhaps I should <link to quote removed by moderator> some of Sparky's more colourful comments from another Canadian caching forum. I'd get a severe warning if I did, though since they make MJDJ's profile like pretty tame.

BTW - TPTB at The Sandbox cordially invite all of you to join in on the discussion already taking place at The Sandbox regarding this very topic.

I wondered how long it would be before you felt obligated to bring that up again. Perhaps I should come back over there and give you something new to work with. That's getting rather stagnant.

As for what I said there, I'm not ashamed of it. I said it in fun. I don't use that language here, because I respect this site and it's members (or at least most of them). I said it there because of the exact opposite. I have no respect for that site or it's members (none of them {see edit below*}).

Point is, Team MJDJ needs to learn some lessons in social interaction. To date, I haven't witnessed anything from him on this site, or any other, that is even close to the level of respect that should be conveyed to another person. That entire rant was nothing short of redundant, irresponsible, disrespectful garbage aimed at the volunteer reviewer who is obviously working well within the guidelines by rejecting a vacation cache.

This whole conversation is just a continuance of the last 1,000 "Waaaa, my cache wasn't approved, the approvers are picking on me" threads. So redundant and boring that it's making me sleepy. Nitey nite!! Don't let the sandfleas bite!!

*EDIT: One change, there is one member of that site that I respect. He knows who he is. We've had a few decent email conversations lately. I apologize to him for my oversight.

Edited by Sparky-Watts

Hey <Name removed by moderator>, did you get a pair of slippers to go with that hat?

<Photo removed by moderator>

After all, we can't see your feet!

Here's a question Sparky, I had a legitimate beef about a cache of mine that wasn't approved. Why did you feel it was necessary for you to inject your opinion into this discussion? It was neither wanted nor asked for...yet somehow you were convinced that your input was needed.

Do you have control issues as well?

Edited by cache-tech

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site. (Including linking to other sites)

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Keep on topic: Responses to a particular thread should be on-topic and pertain to the discussion

Please keep it clean and no Personal attacks against anyone.

Everyone is welcome here in this forum no matter where they are from.

Why do you have to register to read that topic when the others are freely accessible?

No thanks.

EDIT: Based on the screen-caps the OP has shown, I say I'd have to side with the approver on this one as well. Why does everyone who complains about a cache rejection and then posting about it in the forums take it personally?

Edited by New England n00b

Wow you are a very angry person.

That remark just made this topic even LESS credible IMO.

Why do you have to register to read that topic when the others are freely accessible?

It's not the specific topic, but the particular forum that the topic is in. The Outside forum is only accessible to registered users. It's no big deal to register, or not.

I am bitterly disappointed.

I just joined up with you all, thinking this sounded like a really nice way to get exercise, hone my GPS-ing skills and generally have fun.

This petty bickering is disgusting, most assuredly NOT in keeping with a group with whom I'd like to share my precious and sparse free time.

Think I will just work amongst a group of friends and to heck with a large, in-fighting, back stabbing group. Not worth it. :(

Wow you are a very angry person.

That remark just made this topic even LESS credible IMO.

<This remark has been removed by the moderator>

Im drunk

Edited by cache-tech
I am bitterly disappointed.

I just joined up with you all, thinking this sounded like a really nice way to get exercise, hone my GPS-ing skills and generally have fun.

This petty bickering is disgusting, most assuredly NOT in keeping with a group with whom I'd like to share my precious and sparse free time.

Think I will just work amongst a group of friends and to heck with a large, in-fighting, back stabbing group. Not worth it. :(

Don't let these people get you down Mz Jay.

Some people have more fun bickering in the forums and forget that Geocaching involves wonderful hikes in nature to seek out a prize at the end of the adventure.

Don't let them make you believe that everyone in the Geocaching community is of this persuasion.

Whether they bicker or not, there are still gorgeous places to visit where there is a small plastic-type container at the end!

Cache-On!!

This whole thread has made me so sad.

I can't believe that people could get this low. :(

I think I will not come here again and read this anymore, it is depressing me and discouraging me. :D

I just hope that you will take a long, hard look at yourself and be ashamed, and make some changes.

Here's a question Sparky, I had a legitimate beef about a cache of mine that wasn't approved. Why did you feel it was necessary for you to inject your opinion into this discussion? It was neither wanted nor asked for...yet somehow you were convinced that your input was needed.

Do you have control issues as well?

When you post in a forum that is open to the community, you are opening the discussion to all members of the community. I read the post, and decided I wanted to respond. I have read the screenshot version of what went on, and my opinion stands: the approver was well within the guidelines to not approve your vacation cache. I gave you suggestions on how to properly interact with approvers and people in general, as a way to help you when you have another problem like this. I pointed out that forum history shows slinging mud isn't a positive approach to having your cache reviewed. There have been cachers who have had their cache denied that have come to the forums and given intelligent, well-thought, positive discussions as to why they felt the cache should be approved, and in the end, some were reviewed by moderators and approved, others were still not approved. They accepted this and moved on. Then there are people like you who have to throw a fit, bashing anyone and everyone that disagrees with them. In general, those caches have never been approved, and those people won't get over it and move on.

Learn some respect, some positive approaches, and don't treat the site as an anarchy against you. It's not all about you, you, you! You are no more special than anyone else, you have to follow guidelines like everyone else, and you will be treated as you act. If that isn't acceptible to you, and you have a problem following guidelines and the chain of command, then maybe this RASH isn't for you.

No. No control issues at all. I have a legion of flying monkeys I could have unleashed on you, but I kept them all under control. Thanks for asking. :(

You posted your "legitimate beef" to a public forum and now you're complaining that people replied and gave you the attention you wanted? If you didn't want people to inject their opinions then why did you post in a PUBLIC forum?

Thorin

So to summarize the issue.

The guy says he gets there three times a year and has contacted a local to help maintain it.

Is three times a year enough for a remote cache? I think so,but I'm not an approver. As it happens MT Fellwalker is my local approver.

If three times a year isn't enough, is that combined wiht local help enough?

:( OK....another rant comming on...Mr.Aprover...Tell me how you can aprove so many caches by one person,in apox.1 yr.....There is an individual ...(as in 1 person) on the east coast has put out more than 300 caches in 1 year....NOW....you tell me...is it possible to maintain all these caches??????...now tell me how can you aprove a cache that is under the bridge,and then the one thats on top of the same bridge ?.(same person)...is there not a distance requirment between caches?.....and this individual has caches that are more than 4 hrs from his home...sounds like that you dont like us from the west coast......and also ...dont get me wrong.....We have a cache..TEAM out west that put alot of caches out for us they are very well maintained...hats off to them...MJDJ...id be pissed off also..... :D

The original post in this thread was nothing more than a personal, planned attack on a cache approver... someone who volunteers their time to try to make our collective hobby more enjoyable. Not at all fair or mature. Calling someone names ("pseudo-approver", liar, "mock approver") isn't going to do anything to help the poster's situation, or reputation. In fact, it's going to paint him/her as a troublemaker from the outset.

Perhaps a better approach may have been to ask the rest of the Geocaching community about their own thoughts on so-called "vacation" caches, rather then using the forum as a place to vent. After all, these forums were created, and are maintained, for the purpose of legitimate information exchange by and for the Geocaching community.

If someone has a problem with the way they have been treated by a specific approver, these forums certainly aren't going to futher your cause any... The proper approach would be to first, try to work out the problem with the approver (maturely, reasonably, and without personal attacks). If that doesn't work, go through the proper channels at GC.com

One of the final thoughts in the initial post was that the poster was "poised to leave" the hobby. After reading the remainder of the thread, I have to say that this would be the very best thing that could happen to the rest of the well-behaved Geocaching community! Anyone else who found themselves slinging arrows of vitriole at one another ought to think twice about why they are here as well.

Weren't we all taught (and don't we teach our children) the Golden Rule to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you"? It seems to me that today, some folks are living by the Tarnished Rule... "I'll do it to you before you get the chance to do it to me, and if you do it to me, I'll poke you in the eye!"

For what it's worth, I think the approvers do a great job. Their time is unpaid. Their own caching time is severely limited by the amount of "approver" work they have. They are always willing to listen to a calm and reasonable explaination if you have some kind of issue with your cache. I feel sorry that the cache approvers are forced to hide behind a "nom-de-plume" to protect their "real" caching personalities.

As for the life being sucked out of this game, as the original poster believes? Bah... the poster just isn't looking in the right places! There's plenty of fun in Geocaching! You just need to stop moaning whenever a cloud croses your sky!

Happy as a clam...

:(

here-here, TT.

I generally don't spend a lot of time on the boards, and threads like this are one of the reasons why.

Team MJDJ, please do us a favour and walk away, at the very least from these boards. You are giving other cachers a bad name, and you are even discouraging potential cachers from joining the community. (Many of the other posts posts on this thread were pretty disheartening as well) ... so sad, and so immature... and what an example for your kids!?!

These people VOLUNTEER, and put up with a lot as it is! give me a break, let it go, hide a cache somewhere else... and save your passion for things that are really important in the big scheme of things!

as for geocaching... it's supposed to be FUN! If it's not, then do something else and don't ruin it for the rest of us!!