Autorouting On Garmin 60cs With Basemap?

RichM

I am considering a 60cs to replace my recently sold Vista. I know the basemap is limited, but want to hold off on a $100+ map purchase to get basic autorouting if I can.

Is there any autorouting functionality on the basemap?

i.e. coiuld I create a waypoint based on known lat and long and autoroute to it with the existing basemap?

also,

Is there any address information (major roads) in the basemap than can be used to autoroute?

Thanks,

Rich

You need to spend the $130. City Select is the only way to autoroute point to point an the 60CS. Here is what Garmin says: Faster processor, with auto routing, turn-by-turn directions, and audio alerts along city streets or trails when using MapSource® City Select® or 24K Topo software (optional software)

The basemap will route you along major highways only and will basically route you from city to city. To go from Point A to Point B (from home to friend's new house), the basemap just doesn't cut it - you're gonna need to get the additional maps. It's well worth the extra money!

The City Select software definitely makes it worth the price though. Autorouting with my 60cs and City Select has made my life a lot easier. I love autorouting when I am in unfamiliar areas...and I don't just use it for caching either.

But City Select is the only software that will do autorouting. You can't do it with the basemap or any other Garmin software (Metroguide, etc).

How much space (MB) does CS data use?  Should I look at the 76cs instead?

getting more expensive

Thanks,

Rich

City Select 5 takes up about 1.2GB on the hard disk (installing all regions). I imagine that CS6 will take a little more.

There's no way all of it will fit into either the 60 or the 76 series units.

If you're concerned about how much data each unit will hold, then refer to the pink-shaded portions of the following images:

The 60 will hold this much:

b1285706-5c67-4d92-b8b3-f7797c626079.jpg

The 76 will hold this much:

71f09028-b649-4570-8dcf-6018ca21f9b7.jpg

Edited by Neo_Geo
I am considering a 60cs to replace my recently sold Vista. I know the basemap is limited, but want to hold off on a $100+ map purchase to get basic autorouting if I can.

Is there any autorouting functionality on the basemap?

i.e. coiuld I create a waypoint based on known lat and long and autoroute to it with the existing basemap?

also,

Is there any address information (major roads) in the basemap than can be used to autoroute?

Thanks,

Rich

While I was waiting for CS v6 to come out I tried BaseMap routing on 60CS:

It only works between cities. So You definetely need CS or atleast MG v4.

Thanks for the maps. That is the area I travel for work!

I still don't know which to get. How detailed is the basemap for th 76 cs? and how autoraoutale is it?

I don't mind spending a little more to get autorouting riight out of the box.

RichM

I still don't know which to get. How detailed is the basemap for th 76 cs? and how autoraoutale is it?

RichM

Both the 60C/S and 76C/S have the same basemap. The 76 will only route you city-to-city as well. Gotta give up the money for the detailed maps - no way around it.

Edited by Neo_Geo
Both the 60C/S and 76C/S have the same basemap.  The 76 will only route you city-to-city as well.  Gotta give up the money for the detailed maps - no way around it.

Package includes:

# GPSMAP® 76CS

# One basemap below:

Americas:

Americas Autoroute

Package includes:

* GPSMAP 60CS

* One basemap below*:

Americas:

Americas Recreational

Garmin lists different basemaps.

Don't know how much more detail there is.

RichM

Both the 60C/S and 76C/S have the same basemap. The 76 will only route you city-to-city as well. Gotta give up the money for the detailed maps - no way around it.

Not true, the 76C has this,

Americas Autoroute Basemap:

This basemap comes factory installed with the BMW Motorcycles Navigator, StreetPilot III, StreetPilot 2610, StreetPilot 2620, StreetPilot 2650, StreetPilot 2660, GPS V, GPSMAP 196, GPSMAP 276C, GPSMAP 296, GPSMAP 76C, GPSMAP 76CS, and Quest.

Garmin mapping units come with built-in, permanent basemaps that cannot be altered. These basemaps come in a variety of global designations (i.e., Atlantic basemap). Please see your local dealer when purchasing a Garmin mapping unit to ensure that you are purchasing one with a basemap that's appropriate for your location and needs. Factory-installed basemaps cannot be altered.

The Americas Routable basemap includes the United States, Alaska, Canada, Mexico, and Central and South America, and covers an area from W180 to W30 Longitude, S60 to N72 Latitude. Also included is a high-level worldwide map with political boundaries and major cities.

standard map coverage includes:

Oceans, rivers, and lakes (greater than 30 sq. miles)

Principal cities and a small amount of smaller cities and towns

Major interstates and principal highways

Political boundaries (state and international borders)

Railroads

Major Airports

A. United States - In addition to the standard map coverage, it also includes:

Small lakes, major streams, and rivers

Principal urban areas (including Alaska and Hawaii)

National- and State-level roads

Many local roads in or near urban areas

More detailed coastline

Airports

A database of exits for the Federal Interstate highway system. This includes many businesses within about ¼ mile of the exit, including: restaurants, diesel/gas, hotels/lodging, overnight RV parking, dumps, campgrounds, truckstops, medical facilities, shopping and outlet malls, ATMs, and many more attractions.

Tide stations

B. Alaska - In addition to the standard map coverage, it also includes:

National- and State-level roads, plus some local roads in or near urban areas

Lakes greater than 5 square miles

Small cities and towns

Tide stations

C. Canada - In addition to the standard map coverage, it also includes:

Lakes greater than 5 square miles (Southern Canada)

Lakes greater than 10 square miles (Central Canada)

D. Mexico, Central and South America

Standard Map Coverage

while the 60C has this,

Detailed basemap with general map data, including highways, major roads, river, lakes, and borders