Carrying Your Gpsr While Walking

HawkesNest

:lol: I have been wondering how I could carry my eTrex legend, other that in my hand, yet still have it positioned to get good reception. I would like to have a way to carry it on my shoulder face up and be convent to take off and put back. I though I would see what others have tried by asking here. I have tried buttoning my shirt so that the lanyard is looped down around several buttons and then letting the eTrex hang just over my shoulder on my back. That works ok, but tends to slide off the side of my shoulder once in a while. :blink:
I use a Garmin GPS Carrying Case.  It has a belt clip on the back which comes in very handy.  It also prevents scratches to the screen.  I also use a cell phone carrier that came with a backpack as a storage case, it clips to most back packs as well.

Ditto on the Garmin eTrex carrying case. Because the eTrex units need to be held level for good reception it is an issue on long hikes. After rigging up numerous ways to do this with varying degrees of success, I finally spent the $14 on the case and I clip it to the shoulder of my pack, where it sits nice and level.

Using the laynard is not an option. The eTrex will not get good reception hanging from your neck.

It might be the best few bucks I ever spent on geocaching... next to Cachemate.

Edited by briansnat
Okay, will you guys with the eTrex cases 'splain it to me, please? In the pictures I've seen, it looks like there's fairly heavy padding right over the antenna. Is that special black ops conducty stuff, or what? If I stuck my thumb there, I'd lose signal for sure...

It seems to be plain old neoprene. It doesn't seem to effect reception. I have removed it in the past if reception was poor, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Granted I haven't tried any scientific studies, but the GPS seems to work just fine with the cover over the antenna.

Okay, will you guys with the eTrex cases 'splain it to me, please? In the pictures I've seen, it looks like there's fairly heavy padding right over the antenna. Is that special black ops conducty stuff, or what? If I stuck my thumb there, I'd lose signal for sure...

As Briansnat said. No noticeable effect. Consider that your thumb is at least ten times thicker and rich in water.

Acaro of Team TAR

I have a black carry pouch/bag made by Outdoor Products that I've added a couple of snaps to the belt strap on the back of the pouch. I added matching snaps to the left shoulder strap of my hydropack (also made by Outdoor Products). Works perfectly. The belt strap itself is still there/functional, so on shorter hikes, when I just use a fanny pack, I can still use the pouch on the fanny pack's waist belt, and it also has a clip at the top of the belt strap, that can be attached to my pants when using no pack at all.

Edited by 4x4van

I was talking with a cacher the other day who had 2 big strips of velcro on top of the baseball cap he was wearing. When I asked what they were for, he said that he velcros a GPS antenna to it. I guess that way you could pretty much hold the GPS any way you wanted to without losing reception? I don't have any more details.

I don't use Velcro, I use a washer. I have an active reradiating antenna from PC-Mobile, and it has magnets in it. I put it on top of my car while driving, so I don't have to put my GPS in the windshield, and get much better reception. When I start walking, I have a large washer, about 1.5" in diameter, that I bought at Home Depot for about $0.12 that I put inside my hat, and the antenna attaches to that. With an external antenna, I get a much stronger signal, both in the open and especially under trees. I can carry my Legend any way and any place I like.

I have a large washer, about 1.5" in diameter, ... that I put inside my hat, and the antenna attaches to that. With an external antenna, I get a much stronger signal, both in the open and especially under trees. I can carry my Legend any way and any place I like.

I would think a tin foil hat would work even better! Just kidding. :tired: