Cache accruracy, and hiding them too well

Ellteejak

It's a nice park I'm glad there was a cache there. However the math for this cache was a little ridiculous. Now there were hints in the logs that let you now you had to know Trig. to get the coords. Now I hate math to begin with. I certainly didn't have the skills for this formula. I even emailed the owner, who was glad to give up the formula. Which was for.....

The first coordinates are as follows.

N 0.83493264 W 2.13319203

With the formula I recieved, still couldn't make out the coords.

These aren't just decimal. Later he added that the listed coords were in Radians. What ever those are. The formula rendered coords that placed me a couple of miles north of the park the cache was in.

Anyways my point is the only way I found this cache was hunters intuition. While heading back towards the car, a sign similar to a hint caught my eye. The sign wasn't part of a hint. However directed you to something similar to a hint.

If you think you can figure out the coords, they should be about .200 north of these coords.

N47 49.974

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by leatherman:

It's a nice park I'm glad there was a cache there. However the math for this cache was a little ridiculous.

I've done this cache, too. It is the North Creek Park cache.

The math isn't all that ridiculous; you just have to remember some of the geometry you probably took back in high school. Imagine a pie; radians are the ratio of the length of the crust of a piece of the pie to the radius of the pie. In simple mathematical terms, one radian equals 180/Pi degrees.

In this cache, the "pie" is the Earth, and the coordinates work out to be:

N = 0.83493264 radians = 47.838° = N 47° 50.287'

W = 2.13319203 radians = 122.223° = W 122° 13.374'

Moun10Bike's Geocaching Pages

Which pi there's more than one. When you search for a referance.

Whatever, I didn't like it. When I went for the cache you had to guess what the radians were.

Didn't like it at all.

By the way I didn't want to name the cache. Didn't want to get chewed out by Kodaks4 for posting spoilers.sqsick.gif

39197_400.jpg

quote:

Which pi(?) (T)here's more than one.

Um...unless you are thinking of pie (in which case there is apple, cherry, rhubarb, etc.) there is only one pi. The only thing that changes from equation to equation is the number of significant digits. So in one instance, you might use 3.14 but in another you might use 3.14159265.

I had to contact the cache owner to ask about this one. That was back on March 23 and I just realized that I haven't gone to find the cache yet! Better get on that. Anyway, 3fros explained radians to me because I must have slept through class that day. Or was that the class I dropped?

icon_wink.gif Seth! icon_wink.gif

Preparation H, the first ointment to survival?

icon_eek.gif

quote:

Which pi(?) (T)here's more than one.

Um...unless you are thinking of pie (in which case there is apple, cherry, rhubarb, etc.) there is only one pi. The only thing that changes from equation to equation is the number of significant digits. So in one instance, you might use 3.14 but in another you might use 3.14159265.

I had to contact the cache owner to ask about this one. That was back on March 23 and I just realized that I haven't gone to find the cache yet! Better get on that. Anyway, 3fros explained radians to me because I must have slept through class that day. Or was that the class I dropped?

icon_wink.gif Seth! icon_wink.gif

Preparation H, the first ointment to survival?

icon_eek.gif

quote:

What does the _H_ stand for?

http://www.plauder-smilies.de/sad/confusedpp.gif

_Preparation, the first law to survival._

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/39197_400.jpg

Well, if you don't free yourself from the fetters of correct spelling that are imposed by obsessive/compulsives, it probably stands for something that starts with an 'H'. But since you, yourself, have thrown off the mindless shackles of such behavior, for you alone, it could stand for dadgum near anything you like.

I do wonder, though, why you feel constrained to use the conventional meanings of words. I find that when lepidopterist penultimate chordate animitronic table leg, it gets under the skin of obsessive compulsives who insist that word meanings are fixed and established.

quote:
Originally posted by Kodak's4:

I find that when lepidopterist penultimate chordate animitronic table leg, it gets under the skin of obsessive compulsives who insist that word meanings are fixed and established.

Did you know those words? What part of the brain do you archive trivial tid bits like that.?!

39197_400.jpg

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kodak's4:

I find that when lepidopterist penultimate chordate animitronic table leg, it gets under the skin of obsessive compulsives who insist that word meanings are fixed and established.

_Did you know those words? What part of the brain do you archive trivial tid bits like that.?!_

Sure, I know those words. They don't get 'archived' because they're perfectly useful and usable words that get regular usage. Penultimate, chordate, table, and leg all got used in ordinary conversation yesterday.

Okay as a NEWBEE my original expections was.

1. Once I new what a DATUM was

2. Once I new the difference between magnetic north and real north

3. Once I new what the rating system was about on GEOCACHING

4. Once I new about how to translate the clues.

5. Once I knew what a cache would look like, and the typical hiding spots.

That I would be able to walk right up to a class 1 cache using my GPS and see it by turning a 360 degree circle (or see the obvious hidding spot).

90% of the time I can not. Remember that class 1 should be for BEGINNERS!!

Your steps 1 through 5 are enough to get you to the general area of the cache. All you need to do now is, close your eyes, click your heels together three times and sing these words.

Even the location a 5/5 geocache will now instantly be revealed unto you. Enjoy the zen mantra of geocaching.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Daddy, are we there yet? No, .17 to go. Are we there yet? No, .16 to go....."

I started caching in the beginning of August, and was feeling the same way as you. I got stung by a couple of bad caches that were moved from the original location by other cachers, because they felt they were too easily found or too out in the open. It was like I was following clues to a spot that had nothing there. I also had a lot of no finds... maybe six in a two week span. I just took the attitude that I'll give up on this cache today, and come back clear headed some other day. That works great when the cache is close to your house, when you're 2.5 hours away you tend to get a little ornery and want to give up the entire thing.

After those unsuccessful caches, I kept going out looking, this time taking my friend who also started caching when I did. That helped a lot. 2 GPS's, 2 sets of eyes, and 2 different perspectives on where to look and where we would hide a cache. We got lucky and found some real toughies. Just the other night, we went out and pulled off a 6 cache night hunt, and I'd have to say the tromping through the thickets was the toughest part of the hunt.

Stick with it, and get a partner to help. Maybe they have a GPS, but they don't need one. The extra set of eyes, and a different perspective from someone else always helps. I would suggest getting a compass, and when you are within say 50', get the bearing from the GPS, and start heading that way using the compass. That's a good distance to begin looking for the cache. My biggest problem is that I bury my head too much into my GPS. Spots to hide containers will start to become more and more obvious as your experience and confidence grows.

Just remeber start with the caches closest to your home, you can always return back to them easily if you have no luck. Use the GPS to get you in the neighborhood; think of it as a friend telling you to look for his lost Rubbermaid lunch container in his backyard...that's about the size of area you'll be searching. Once you get to that area, say 100'...start using those senses to try to find the best possible spots to hide. A 100' radius can only hold so many 'gem of a spots' to hide a cache, find those first...they're usually right. Once you get some, your confidence will go up, and you'll find a method that works for you. Don't worry, you'll get it. Good Luck!!!

I think being excessively clever can spoil the fun. There is a person that wants me to keep looking for his cache and he seems very proud of it. I am not sure anyone has found it to date. For all I know he just made up some coordinates and vague clues and never really hid anything. I do not think he is having any fun. No one will ever know just how clever he was.

I have only hidden 2 caches so far and my idea has been to create a cache that all Geocachers can find but no civilians will ever find. I do like the type of cache that causes one to really think. A little math and research before getting out on the trail can add to the fun for me. I like clever containers but I also like some little device that will catch the eye and flag it as something put out by a fellow geocacher.

are wonderful.

Hotfoot found about 60 caches before placing his first one. Both caches he has placed are exceptionally good ones. I am so grateful that he didn't just start placing caches willy-nilly, but waited until he knew what made a great cache and then placed some of his own.

We're lucky to have geocachers like him in our area.

There is another geocacher in our general area whose caches I find very frustrating. He and I simply do not think in the same way. I find his cache descriptions unnecessarily obfuscatory and somewhat patronizing. But I recognize that the problem is mine, not his; many other people find his caches and enjoy them immensely, and I am certain that I am projecting my own frustrations onto his descriptions.

I'm in this for the fun, not the money. So I don't make his caches a very high priority, because I know I likely won't enjoy them very much.

hotfoot's caches, on the other hand, I love. I'll run out in the middle of the night to be first at his! icon_biggrin.gif

are wonderful.

Hotfoot found about 60 caches before placing his first one. Both caches he has placed are exceptionally good ones. I am so grateful that he didn't just start placing caches willy-nilly, but waited until he knew what made a great cache and then placed some of his own.

We're lucky to have geocachers like him in our area.

There is another geocacher in our general area whose caches I find very frustrating. He and I simply do not think in the same way. I find his cache descriptions unnecessarily obfuscatory and somewhat patronizing. But I recognize that the problem is mine, not his; many other people find his caches and enjoy them immensely, and I am certain that I am projecting my own frustrations onto his descriptions.

I'm in this for the fun, not the money. So I don't make his caches a very high priority, because I know I likely won't enjoy them very much.

hotfoot's caches, on the other hand, I love. I'll run out in the middle of the night to be first at his! icon_biggrin.gif