Mapsource Maps To Hard Drive...?

i just copied all 3 folders and for some reason didnt install, it said something about a -113 error and somethign about Alaska. Anyone know? Sorry for the short detail.

For Topo there are 4 folders, East, West, Alaska, and Hawaii. Make sure you have them all.

I have Canada Topo installed and I beleived I had US Topo installed already. When I look at the drop down list i don't see it there. I must have did an uninstall at one point and never re-installed it. Is it safe to say that I could simply copy US Topo on the C Drive and install from there without disrupting my Canada Topo.

On that same subject... Canada Topo works without the CD. How strange is that? Wich brings me to my next question... Is there a limit on how many installs I can get from my Topo Canada? I installed it at home, then on my laptop but when I try to install at work it looks like an old version and doesn't show the topo details even though in the Help/About menu it shows as the latest version. That's one of the reasons why i'm hesitant about un-installing from my main PC at home.

Hopefully someone can help...

The Good news is... I can use US Topo without the CD's, The Bad news, on my US TOPO I can't get any details. I switch from Lowest to Highest and there is no change on the Map. Just as I explained in my previous posting. The problem doesn't exist on the Canada TOPO wich is great since I use that one the most. I should add that I did do the most recent update of Mapsource 6.12.3

This works great with network drives! I keep US Road & Recreation and US TOPO, 4CDs or 1.77GB of map data on a shared mac volume.

I mount the network drive at startup when I 'm home. Mapsource has access to the data but it doesn't take up space on my backbook pro's xp volume. Multiple windows users can share the maps in this fashion without duplication of data. My network drive is a mac volume shared through mac OS 10.4 built-in windows file share. Spiff.

Well, I'm the odd duck here. I've done all of the above and now Mapsource won't work. I'd changed the map dropdown menu to Topo East and all of a sudden, Mapsource shut down. Now, I keep reopening it, it opens, and then immediately closes. My registry address for the Topo East files exactly matches their location on the C: drive so I'm stumped.

If I reinstall, and don't change the registry, I can run Mapsource to pull up the maps via the CD. Any ideas??

UPDATE: Wasn't getting error message on the PC but when I installed on the laptop, Garmin gave error message and directed me to their site for a patch (Strange that message didn't pop up on the PC). Patched both PC & laptop and all working just fine.

Thankyou so much for posting this method of running the files from the PC - saves SO MUCH WORK!!!!!

This sure is a great place - I've learned a LOT about my GPSr while reading over the files. CHeers, folks!

Edited by TOLady

:D Neo Geo.. you are a genius.. Followed your procedure to put Maps on hard drive and it works great. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

When I followed the procedure to eliminating the Mapsource disks, it installed well but I don't have any topo lines on the map? Did you have any problems with your install?

Sounds like you prefer to edit the registry then... No prob.

Close the MapSource program (if it's open)

Make a new folder in your C:\Garmin folder and name it "Topo"

CD 1 contains a folder named "West"

CD 2 contains a folder named "East"

CD 3 contains a folder named "Alaska" and a folder named "Hawaii"

Copy those folders into your "C:\Garmin\Topo" folder

Click your Windows Start button and select "Run"

Where it says "Open", type in "REGEDIT"

Click the "OK" button

Double-Click the folder "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"

Click on the following plus signs in sequence"

+SOFTWARE

+Garmin

+MapSource

+Products

Click on the folder named "6", and then in the right window pane, double-click the "Loc" registry key.

"D:\East" is displayed

Change that to read as:

C:\Garmin\Topo\East

Click the "OK" button

Click on the folder named "7", and then in the right window pane, double-click the "Loc" registry key.

"D:\West" is displayed

Change that to read as:

C:\Garmin\Topo\West

Click the "OK" button

Click on the folder named "8", and then in the right window pane, double-click the "Loc" registry key.

"D:\Hawaii" is displayed

Change that to read as:

C:\Garmin\Topo\Hawaii

Click the "OK" button

Click on the folder named "9", and then in the right window pane, double-click the "Loc" registry key.

"D:\Alaska" is displayed

Change that to read as:

C:\Garmin\Topo\Alaska

Click the "OK" button

Close the Registry Editor window

Open MapSource

Your Topo maps should now open without the CDs!!!

I have an older version of Garmin US Topo, Version 3.02 and very new computer running Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit Edition.

I just followed the above instructions, with a slight modification relative to the proper registry entries.

Vista 64bit stores it's 32-bit Program Registry Values in a different location than XP, so I thought I'd share this with you.

The proper registry entries are located in:

-------------------------------------------------

+HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

+SOFTWARE

+Wow6432Node

+Garmin

+Mapsource

+Products

-------------------------------------------------

Just follow the regular instructions but substitute the above information for the registry entries. As always, go through the registry editor first and make certain that the above information is accurate. Don't know why it wouldn't be, but it could be different on your box. I doubt it, but check anyway, as it's just good practice to be certain concerning the Windows Registry.

Note: This is specific to Garmin MapSource and US Topo. I'm not sure if this is the same for all other 32bit programs on Vista 64 or not. It is recommended that these instructions be considered ONLY FOR MAPSOURCE AND USTOPO and not used for other information. (Unless, of course, you know what you're doing!)

As always, Use At Your Own Risk, I Can and Will Not Be Held Responsible for Broken Operating Systems, Modified Registry Entries That Open Unknown Doorways in the Space-Time Continuum, or Summon Unwanted Discorporate Entities (gnu/linux daemons that want to eat your NTFS partitions, BSDaemons...) etc., etc., etc. :unsure: (okay, enough of that tripe! Heh :->)

I hope this is useful.

Warm Regards From,

Edited by Firefishe

Is there an update to this thread for the Microsoft Vista OS ? This worked great in XP but the Vista registry is setup differently [there is no "Loc" registry key to define the location of the files]. I'd still like a way to load the Topo disks onto the HD of a new computer.

Edited by tlen

Click the "OK" button

+SOFTWARE

+Garmin

+MapSource

+Products

Click on the folder named "6", and then in the right window pane, double-click the "Loc" registry key.

Change that to read as:

Click the "OK" button

Click on the folder named "7", and then in the right window pane, double-click the "Loc" registry key.

Change that to read as:

Click the "OK" button

Click on the folder named "8", and then in the right window pane, double-click the "Loc" registry key.

Change that to read as:

Click the "OK" button

Click on the folder named "9", and then in the right window pane, double-click the "Loc" registry key.

Change that to read as:

Click the "OK" button

Open MapSource

Thanks a Million, :rolleyes: I have always hated lugging those CD every where I go. :D

Click the "OK" button

+SOFTWARE

+Garmin

+MapSource

+Products

Change that to read as:

Click the "OK" button

Change that to read as:

Click the "OK" button

Change that to read as:

Click the "OK" button

Change that to read as:

Click the "OK" button

Open MapSource

I know this is going to seem odd but this does not work for me.

I uninstalled my mapsource topo.

I copied all 3 disc's to a folder C:Garmin/topo as directed.

I went to run, entered the regedit.

I opened the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Opened Software and.................................

Nothing there named Garmin...................

So I searched around for it in all the foldes under software and found it in a folder labled "Wow6432Node"

I then clicked on: Mapsource

Then Products

It's empty.!!!!!!!!!!

When I open my C drive I can see the Garmin folder and inside it is the Topo folder and all its data.

I'm not much of a computer savvy guy so I'm well beyond my zone.

Any advice?

Ed Fernley

Thanks! I too have struggle much too long with having to insert a CD anytime I wanted to use my maps.

In my case it was roads and recreation.

As per Neo Geo's advice I uninstalled mapsource, copied the roads and rec file to my hard disk, then reinstalled mapsource from the hard drive files. It was then a simple matter of downloading the latest version of mapsource off the garmin website and I was back in business.

Pretty easy even for me--a non computer person.