Round Round Getaround

(hoping someone hasnt already done a thread like this)

anyway, im just curious... how do most of you get around to do your caches? i usually bike to most places, sometimes a good 15 mile round trip. the local caches are keeping me plenty busy... no need to drive far away yet.

so how bout the rest of the world of geocaching?

we travel by tracker, subaru, snowshoe, bike, foot, kayak. whatever will get us there quickest and witht he least fuss. we consider it a bonus if we do not have to leave the vehicle to get the cache.

alternately, if we have to leave the vehicle, we prefer something with lots of opportunities for injury.

i prefer not to walk any more than i have to. ever.

according to the orthopedist, the reason i keep injuring my knees is that my patellar tendons don't track well. something about goofy knee construction. crashco says i ought to demand a recall fro the manufacturer.

anyway, that means the preferred mode of transport for anything over a quarter mile round trip is the bike. if bikes are not expressly prohibited on the trail, i ride it.

i don't care if it's up a mountain. i have a mountain bike.

Where do you live that local caches keep you busy?

uh... okay, i guess i should mention this... the "local" caches are more in town from where i live... so a minimum of three miles (each way) just to get into town... and i dont go caching that often. usually just once a week. and since it's becoming more popular in my town, newer caches are coming up all the time. i'm trying to start a couple out in my part of the burbs.

Most often with a 28' box truck on my "lunch break" Which is why I don't have much time for puzzles and mysteries. Also tough to do some urban micros due to parking. Although I can sometimes park it where I shouldn't since it looks like I'm making a delivery.

Tough to do some of the caches deep in the woods, and I did rack up a $400 tow bill once to get the truck out of a farmer's field. I got VERY lucky that the company bought my excuse. (..and paid the bill)

(hoping someone hasnt already done a thread like this)

anyway, im just curious... how do most of you get around to do your caches? i usually bike to most places, sometimes a good 15 mile round trip. the local caches are keeping me plenty busy... no need to drive far away yet.

so how bout the rest of the world of geocaching?

I think I'll drive. It's just a bit too far for the kids to ride their bikes... :blink:

acdf5717-cb1c-4dc2-8222-f2ee8de6b102.jpg

Shortly after starting in this hobby I went out and got a low end mountain bike assuming it would be a great way to get to most of the caches. As it turns out I rairly used it.

After a few weeks I had exhausted the supply of caches along the local bike trails even without the mountain bike. Walking just seems easier most of the time.