Garmin V Memory Upgrade?

CLICK HERE

Then scroll down to the bottom right of the page and then click on the link:

"What is inside the GPS V case?"

There you can read about one man's quest to do just that! He apparently knows a lot about what he's doing, but he's been working on it a long time. It ain't just a matter of soldering in a new chip and then you're done! No - it's a lot more to it than that.

Just go out and get a 60C/S or a 76C/S. It's a whole lot easier :o

CLICK HERE

Then scroll down to the bottom right of the page and then click on the link:

"What is inside the GPS V case?"

There you can read about one man's quest to do just that! He apparently knows a lot about what he's doing, but he's been working on it a long time. It ain't just a matter of soldering in a new chip and then you're done! No - it's a lot more to it than that.

Just go out and get a 60C/S or a 76C/S. It's a whole lot easier :o

Interesting link but something I would be highly afraid to try. I've got a V and a Meridian Gold. I just really want something that will carry my NC and SC sections of both states for my work. I think I'll look at buying another GPSr for work with more memory. Thanks for the replies guys.

[interesting link but something I would be highly afraid to try. I've got a V and a Meridian Gold. I just really want something that will carry my NC and SC sections of both states for my work. I think I'll look at buying another GPSr for work with more memory. Thanks for the replies guys.

if you have a Maggy gold why not just buy a secure digital memory card, you can go all the way to 512 megs

Interesting link but something I would be highly afraid to try.

I wasn't suggesting that you try it - God no! I was demonstrating what kind of a challenge it would be IF you were to try it.

I suggested buying another GPSr with more memory :o

Yes it does

Whoa there! It does not autoroute like the V does! The software can route for you, before loading it onto the Meridian, but the Meridian itself, does not autoroute. Example: You have loaded in a route, and are following down a freeway. You come to your exit and for some reason the offramp is closed. You have to go right by your desired exit. The Garmin V will re-route you automatically. It will take you to the next exit(probably) and through the necessary turns after that to get you back on track. The Meridian Gold will simply be lost if you miss your desired exit. It will be totoally up to you to fix the mistake and get back on track, as the Gold will not do it for you at all.

Yes it does

AMMENDED NOTE: You can use the Meridian to re-route to your destination, but it is not automatic, like the Garmin V. First, you must recognize the fact you are off route. Once you have come to that conclusion, you must tell the receiver to re-route you to your destination, using one of three methods with the "GOTO" key and an address entry or map pointer entry (if your destination is on the current map) or an address entry. I don't like messing with my receiver at all if I'm in busy freeway traffic, so this might have to be done after pulling over, or getting off the freeway! Then, it will recalculate a new route for you. Now the most important part of this: This "automatic" route finding is only possible using Magellan's MapSend DirectRoute software. No other software by Magellan will do it. Hope that clarifies my answer above.

Yes it does

AMMENDED NOTE: You can use the Meridian to re-route to your destination, but it is not automatic, like the Garmin V. First, you must recognize the fact you are off route. Once you have come to that conclusion, you must tell the receiver to re-route you to your destination, using one of three methods with the "GOTO" key and an address entry or map pointer entry (if your destination is on the current map) or an address entry. I don't like messing with my receiver at all if I'm in busy freeway traffic, so this might have to be done after pulling over, or getting off the freeway! Then, it will recalculate a new route for you. Now the most important part of this: This "automatic" route finding is only possible using Magellan's MapSend DirectRoute software. No other software by Magellan will do it. Hope that clarifies my answer above.

So theres now way to set it reroute automatically? (like how the V can be set to NOT reroute automatcially?)

No...First, there's no way the Meridian will know you are off route. You have to be watching the route or turn indicator to know that you missed a turn or something. Next, because the Meridian doesn't know itself, that is is off route, it doesn't know when to set a new route until you tell it to. The Garmin will tell you when you are off-route, then automatically set a new one. You don't have to auto route with it. You can use it just like any 'ol GPS that doesn't do auto routing. You can even do a mix...That is, let it do the autorouting, but you tell it which way you want to go. Say perhaps you want to go through a particular town on a trip that is a bit out of the way. You can tell it to route you automatically, but do it through that town. You tell the Garmin what priority to use when autorouting: direct route (as the crow flies), shortest distance (by mileage, without regard to time on the road) or fastest route (taking into consideration the speed limits of the types of roads possible).