Original Geojeeps

TeamK-9

I know alot of geocachers including myself, have Jeeps. And I know that I didn't get my Jeep until after I started caching, and that the purchase of the Jeep was greatly influenced by Geocaching.

So my questions are:

How many of you had Jeeps before you started caching?

How many of you recently bought a Jeep, with the decision being influenced by Geocaching?

How many of you had YELLOW Jeeps before you started geocaching?

How many of you bought Yellow Jeeps after you started caching?

(Feel free to post pictures)

I had a 1965 YELLOW CJ5 jeep from about 1981 through about 1993. 134 ci F-head and a three speed with 4.27 gearing. 50 MPH on the freeway! Wooha! :o I now own a 1992 Explorer with air conditioning and an automatic. Heh, I enjoy the finer things in my older age. Did I mention the air conditioning? Oh, yeah, and a roof and doors that actually keep the rain out. I did love my jeep back then, though, for getting back into places.

JEEPS? Seems like I have had jeeps most of my life!

Best ones... lets see. In 1977 I had a 1940s WW-II Auto-Union (forerunner of AUDI) German Army Jeep. It had a 3 cylinder 2-stroke motor. It was light-weight and fast, and went off-road almost as good as a motor cycle. Wish I had a photo of it, but my girlfriend (now wife of 26 years) hit a tree with is in the forest. I sold it shortly there-after.

Drove many M-151s and hummers in my 20+ years in the army. H-1 Hummers are fun, but the H-2 ???? Not for me thanks.

Today I have one of the best I have ever had. It is a 1976 A. M. General (the hummer company) DJ-5D postal jeep. I have been restoring it for 4 years now. I have it getting up to 21 mpg even with the big 6 cylinder motor and the boxy body. It does 70 mph on the freeway just fine, and is just like a jeep in the desert too. The one problem with it (for some) is the steering wheel is on the right side. It don't bother me.

Late one night on the way home my Texas Chihuahua (see avatar) was riding shotgun. The police stopped us. Once they saw the steering wheel on my side and determioned that the dog WAS NOT driving, they let us go. :o

Jeeps - gotta have em!

7fb7ba82-a789-45d4-948c-95f3368ba08b.jpg

Nice job on the restoration, DW!!! Looks great!!

I bought my YJ after I started caching. I don't know that caching was any influence on my purchase, though I suspect it helped. I drove a 1985 Toyota 4wd (bought it new), and sold it last October (just before I started caching) with 275,000 miles on it. Started kicking myself the minute it drove out of the drive, and just had to get back into a 4wd vehicle. I pretty much knew I would get a Jeep, and seeing pics of people's Jeeps in the forums drove that urge a bit more, so maybe geocaching did have some influence. I still think I'd have bought the Jeep whether I cache or not anyway.

IM000995.jpg

After nearly 5" of rain yesterday, I had to get a mud fix!! :blink:

The one problem with it (for some) is the steering wheel is on the right side. It don't bother me.

Hey, you can get those park and grabs without even getting out! :blink: I got to drive one of those during my stint as a campus police officer way back when. My father-in-law drove one most of the years he was a letter carrier for ths USPO.

Just a note for all you guys that had Jeeps back in the day. In 2001 they redid the soft top and the heater unit. The soft top is now almost as quiet as a hard top and I don't get a drop of rain inside unless of course I get stuck out in the rain with the top down. I live in the Burlington Vermont area and the heater works so well I have to turn it down even when its 35 below zero outside. Check out a new Jeep. I promise you will love it. Better offroad in stock form than the old CJs and YJs every dreamed of being. Coil suspension ,baby! By the way, I also own a 2002 Pathfinder for when we desperatley need the air conditioning which isn't a whole lot up here in Vermont. Today is July 24th and we just had our first day in the 90s three days ago. Today it is 71. Go jeeping! Caching too! :blink:

. Check out a new Jeep. I promise you will love it. Better offroad in stock form than the old CJs and YJs every dreamed of being. Coil suspension ,baby! 

That's debatable. There are advantages to both suspension systems, but I wouldn't say one is better than the other. Depends on driving habits more than anything. I've driven the newer TJ's, and while they ride a bit better on pavement, I've heard lots of people say they don't do as well off-road. But, like I say, it's all about personal driving habits and preferences. I prefer leaf springs, as do many of the hardline off-roaders.

Oh, and the biggest mistake Toyota ever made was making independent front suspension in their 4x4's. The '85 I had was the last year of the solid front axle for them, and now they are in high demand. IS just isn't a good option for a rugged 4wd. That was the beginning of the end for Toyota and off-road action. Now they seem to be following the crowd (instead of leading it as they used to) and shooting for the "soccer-mom" pavement princess 4-wheeler crowd. I would no more take a 4-Runner or newer Toyota truck off-road than I would a Ford Pinto.

Edited by Sparky-Watts

Which came first the chicken or the egg?? Not really sure, I think I bought my first Wrangler about the same time I started caching, or within a few months. However, I soon traded it in on a newer YELLOW one. That decision was influenced in part by geocaching.

I cannot think of a better vehicle for caching. Difficult to get stuck no matter where you go, if you use your head. Can put the top down and enjoy the scenery and get some rays at the same time. Wife will only cache with me when I do take my wrangler. She doesn't like the miles on her Cherokee, and she likes working on her tan.

Next one will be the JEEP RESCUE, its getting closer to being put into production.

First GPSr (Garmin GPS40): ~1994

2nd GPSR (Garmin GPS III+): ~1999

Jeep TJ (not yellow): Aug. 2001

Geocaching: March 2004

3rd GPSr (Garmin 60c): April 2004

The Jeep is a fantastic geocaching vehicle, although the mileage stinks. No matter if you go with the top down/off, soft top, or hard top, none of them block GPSr reception so no external antenna is needed. Just yesterday I was able to park my Jeep right next to a cache, where if I had been in the car I would have needed to park much further away.

TJHHgrab.jpg

It's looking like our next vehicle purchase will be a Grand Cherokee as well. Also not yellow. :blink:

I bought my '97 wrangler in 1999. It was originally purchased from a dealer with a factory hard top, then I purchased a soft top for it. Before I started caching I was considering selling my jeep to get a truck. But since caching, my jeep has gotten me to many places I wouldn't have otherwise been able to drive to, and its lots of fun to ride through the woods with the top off, nice and breezy! However...recently my AC system decided it needs a new evaporator, so I have no AC...luckily I have the soft top, so I can save up for that expense.

...a lil YJ on my sound bar! If it was clear on the day this pic was taken, you'd be able to see Pittsburgh beyond the mountain in the background.

c05caa78-b29e-4092-907b-18a4d7076796.jpg

Edited by Polgara
Dont forget all you Jeep owners. THere is an essay contest going on. Grab a YJTB and have an adventure. The way some of you write about your jeeps I sense a monthly winner in this group.

I saw just the Jeep for you the other day. It was a purple YJ Wrangler and had a little horse painted on each rear fender! If you want, I'll go test drive it for ya!! Oh, and send me a check, I'd be more than happy to deliver it to you,too!! :blink:

Nice job on the restoration, DW!!! Looks great!!

I bought my YJ after I started caching. I don't know that caching was any influence on my purchase, though I suspect it helped. I drove a 1985 Toyota 4wd (bought it new), and sold it last October (just before I started caching) with 275,000 miles on it. Started kicking myself the minute it drove out of the drive, and just had to get back into a 4wd vehicle. I pretty much knew I would get a Jeep, and seeing pics of people's Jeeps in the forums drove that urge a bit more, so maybe geocaching did have some influence. I still think I'd have bought the Jeep whether I cache or not anyway.

IM000995.jpg

After nearly 5" of rain yesterday, I had to get a mud fix!! :blink:

Hey sparky, is the light rack on top new? I don't think I've seen it before in any of the pictures you've showed...

Anyway, I got a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 2 Door just a few months ago. It's not quite stock, it has a few minor upgrades and tweaks, mostly just aesthetic type stuff. But we found out the other day that it is actually a very capable off-road vehicle, as it got us quite a bit down a very very rough fire road, I think farther than the trucks it's intended for have ever gone...

I bought a used '80 CJ7 (AMC, not Chrysler) and in no time proceeded to lift it to be able to take 33" BFG Mud Terrain tires. I got my lift with Rugged Trail springs and longer shackles, axles over springs.

Instead of lowering the transfer case, I used shims on the axle to keep the driveshaft straight. In those days the driveshaft was accordian style, so no need for a new driveshaft.

I also had some longer sway bar links made up and never did change the pitman arm, at the advice of a fellow jeeper. I did add a Hecklethorn yellow steering stabilizer though. All new polyurethane bushings too. After that I never needed to take a wrench to the Jeep, except to replace the U-joints on the driveshafts about 2 years later. I guess that was the tradeoff vs. lowering the transfer case. Worth it since it was an easy job.

I drove it for years, trouble-free, and sold it for what I paid for it when I was done. Now I have 2 more Jeeps (Chrysler), a Grand Cherokee and Cherokee Sport. I had these when I discovered geocaching. Unlike the CJ7, these have not been modified. All in all I'm pretty satisfied with the durability of these vehicles. I'm selling the Cherokee Sport, email or PM me for details.

Edit:typo

Edited by cachew nut

Hey sparky, is the light rack on top new?  I don't think I've seen it before in any of the pictures you've showed...

Anyway, I got a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 2 Door just a few months ago.  It's not quite stock, it has a few minor upgrades and tweaks, mostly just aesthetic type stuff.  But we found out the other day that it is actually a very capable off-road vehicle, as it got us quite a bit down a very very rough fire road, I think farther than the trucks it's intended for have ever gone...

The lightbar has been there for a couple of months. I just haven't posted any pics since I put it on, I guess. I bought it used at a local 4x4 shop, don't remember how much....less than $100, lights included. I shot a couple coats of flat black paint on it, and put it on. Really lights up the road, and doesn't create much glare off the hood. I've heard folks complain about light bars reflecting too much glare off the hood, but even with a white hood, I don't have any problems with it. I've got the two center lights on one switch, and they're aimed down the middle of the road, about 100yds past the headlight range. The outer lights on another switch are aimed about the same distance, only more to the ditches and beyond to highlight any critters that may be lurking there. Combined with the headlights, I've got several hundred yards of daylight fully covered at a distance about 100' across, no dark spots at all. I also mounted my CB antenna up there, but have a cute little bungy cord I use to tie it down to the windshield rest on the hood for when I park in the garage or am gonna be running under low trees on the trail.

The cherokees can be very capable off-road vehicles, and very dependable, too. Throw on a 2" lift and some 31" MT's, and you're ready to roll!! Got a pic? Or did you ever get that digital kayak yet?

Edited by Sparky-Watts

The TeamK-9 GeoJeep:

152117_4000.jpg

We got it used from a friend my dad had at the dealership for around $2700. We're planning to do some work on it, but my dad's afraid to lift it or put on bigger tires because he doesn't want to spend more on upgrades then he did on the truck itself.

We got it used from a friend my dad had at the dealership for around $2700. We're planning to do some work on it, but my dad's afraid to lift it or put on bigger tires because he doesn't want to spend more on upgrades then he did on the truck itself.

Sweet!!! Only $2700?!?!?!?!? Man, if I'd only spent that much, I'd already have all the mods I want!! Lift, wheels, winch, lockers.....man, that's a steal, bud! My first choice for color was red, but I got such a good deal on my YJ I couldn't pass it up. Only had 54,000 miles on it and had never been off-road. Traded a fully loaded '99 Camry for it, plus got $800 back.

Been Jeepin for years, just started Geocaching

Nice rig!! Love that bumper/brush guard/winch combo ya got on there, what kind is it?

The winch is a warn 8274 that I bought used. After buying the winch I discovered that there were no good aftermarket bumpers that would fit it, so I designed and drafted that bumper and traded the design to a machine shop in exchange for having it built for materials cost only.

I also designed and did tack-weld assembly on my rear bumper, then had a pro welder finish it. (tire carrier will be added later)

bumper7b.jpg

I no longer have the yellow one. I traded it for a Rubicon model

rocky_pose.jpg

Got my first jeep in July 1973, only 21 yrs prior to beginning geocaching. My uncle gave it to me to use for work and was an ugly green. Think they call it OD Green. :blink: For you young folks the Army had Jeeps before Hummers and they were SO much better.

The TeamK-9 GeoJeep:

....my dad's afraid to lift it or put on bigger tires because he doesn't want to spend more on upgrades then he did on the truck itself.

If you have good mechanical ability you can lift it a bit quite cheap.

In the front you go to the wrecker and get three pairs of the spacers/isolators that go above the coils. Usualy costs about $5 per pair. Stack them with the existing spacers for around 1.5" of lift.

In the rear you get a compatable size spring pack (YJ, Comanche, Camero, dozens of others), seperate your spring packs and the "donor" and rebuild your packs with and extra leaf of two. While you are under there get rid of the rear sway bar.

Now buy a set of long-travel shocks for around $120.00, get a wheel alignment, and your suspension is done. For serious off-road travel undo the lower bolts on your front sway bar and swing it up out of the way.

With this setup you can run 30x9.5" tires on the stock wheels with next to no rubbing, or 31x10.5" tires if you are willing to sacrifice a bit of turning radius and some rubbing off-road. Local 4x4 clubs or on-line forums are often a good source of nearly-new tires. Last fall I got a friend a nearly new set of four 30" tires already mounted on Jeep wheels for $200.00

This may not seem like much difference, but the little extra clearance and better shocks will transform an XJ into an excellent rig for moderate trails.

My old XJ:

bdsxj3.jpg

The one problem with it (for some) is the steering wheel is on the right side.  It don't bother me.

Late one night on the way home my Texas Chihuahua (see avatar) was riding shotgun.  The police stopped us.  Once they saw the steering wheel on my side and determioned that the dog WAS NOT driving, they let us go.  :lol:

Jeeps - gotta have em!

7fb7ba82-a789-45d4-948c-95f3368ba08b.jpg

I wish I could have seen that traffic stop. Too funny. :blink::lol:

I love right-hand-drive. A little dicey when making left turns, but other than that, they are fun. Yours looks sweet. :P

jeeps have always been before caching for me. I've had two Jeeps: 1997 TJ SE bought new off the lot (mistake in hind-sight), wheeled the heck out of it for 6 years, then sold it. 3 months after selling it the withdrawls of NOT being able to go where I wanted to set in and I bought a totaled 2000 TJ Sport that I rebuilt. The 4 cylinder was fine OFF-road but ON-road with stock 4.11 gears and 33" tires it was a dog. The 6 cylinder is peppy enough to satisfy both my on and off road performance.

I just got back from the Rubicon Trail this weekend... See this cache log entry: Buck Island Cache

I associate the term jeeping to offroading much like people say make a Xerox when they just mean make a copy. There are a lot of well built other-name-brand rigs out there (my 1976 IH Scout 2 was a blast)... For along time I had jeeplife.com as a website till the law dogs at Jeep (pre Diamante-Chrysler days) decided they didn't want me to have that domain and sent the nasty letter to me. Out of fear and the lack of resources to fight back I submitted and got jeeplife.org instead. Even though I write this I would have purchased a jeep all over again. Happy trails!

I started caching this January, using my '03 Rendezvous and getting to some fairly easy FS road caches. I'm now looking to get an old Wrangler as a geo-toy vehicle. There are a couple I'm looking at and hope to have one within a week or two.

Years ago our family had a WWII surplus jeep. It was great transportation before it burned up in a garage fire.