Under the Trees

yorelken

Found my first cache today on my second try. I found the tree canopy seemed to be really interfering with the GPS locator. I am using a Garmin emap. It seemed to me if I moved really slowly with frequent stops, it helped. Was I right and any other suggestions would be great, as I'm think I'm hooked.

Thanx.

Every object effects timing reception of all GPSr you maybe using. Including your body. Imagine the sattilite signals as light rays coming from different locations in the sky. Every tree leaf or object casts a shadow. Those shadows effect the timing. Which is used to calculate your position.

So if you hold the GPSr above your head it helps.

X marks the spot.

When your right on the coordinates. Walk 15' back and forth, in sort of an x pattern. The shadows in all those positions are a little different. It helps your GPSr settle down, and give you a good reading.

Just have fun.

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Yes heavy leaf cover does have an effect.

The ETrex seems to be particularly affected by leaf cover, as do some of the older Maggie models models. Sometimes it takes some work. Move to reasonably open area and get your bearings. Bring a compass with you and head back towards the cache.

My Mag 315 is almost PERFECT! I love it and I don't ever want to offend her...

but she goes a little wild when she gets among the trees (especially big leafy ones, not so much pine needles.)

I think it may very well be something to do with the wavelength, the size of the leaves, the proximity of the leaves to my GPS, etc.

When she goes wild on me, she really goes wild. She still thinks she knows "where" she is, but she can never figure out where she is going or how fast, etc.

Oh well, it's her only fault that I know of... I'll keep her!

maj-gps.gif

Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!

--majicman

I have to second what majicman says about Magellan 315, it has get to be one of the best receivers for heavy tree cover. A few months ago while on a cache hunt, we ran into another cacher on the hunt as we were leaving from our find. He had a Yellow Etrex, he was receiving only 2 sats, while I was receiving 5 sats with my Mag-315. I’m very much impressed with my Mag-315 for what I paid.

Anyone starting to get onto Geocaching that doesn’t need maps in a GPS should defiantly look at the Magellan 315 it is quite a unit.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I have to second what majicman says about Magellan 315, it has get to be one of the best receivers for heavy tree cover. A few months ago while on a cache hunt, we ran into another cacher on the hunt as we were leaving from our find. He had a Yellow Etrex, he was receiving only 2 sats, while I was receiving 5 sats with my Mag-315. I’m very much impressed with my Mag-315 for what I paid.

Anyone starting to get onto Geocaching that doesn’t need maps in a GPS should defiantly look at the Magellan 315 it is quite a unit.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Night Tracker:

The end results justifies the means, you found the cache thats all that matters. If you search around here there is alot on this topic

Well I guess I'd better add that chainsaw to my 'caching equipment. icon_wink.gif

Seriously, one of the things that I wish my Legend had is an external antenna connection. It seems like such a simple thing. Maybe I'll have to buy one of those re-radiating antennas and figure out how to make it portable.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

quote:
Originally posted by Night Tracker:

The end results justifies the means, you found the cache thats all that matters. If you search around here there is alot on this topic

Well I guess I'd better add that chainsaw to my 'caching equipment. icon_wink.gif

Seriously, one of the things that I wish my Legend had is an external antenna connection. It seems like such a simple thing. Maybe I'll have to buy one of those re-radiating antennas and figure out how to make it portable.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

I'm using a Garmin GA 27C Low Profile Antenna with a Garmin Map76S GPS. The antenna amplifies the satellite signal that results in improved accuracy and performance of the GPS. I seldom experience problems with dense vegetation causing lost signal reception. I pin the antenna to the back of my collar with the wire under my jacket. The antenna will not become tangled when I'm doing serious bushwacking. The GPS can be carried in a pocket when the antenna is in use.