No Geocaching In Boston Next Week

The word I am getting is that the authorities are getting VERY nervous about the DNC in Boston next week.

Any activity remotely "suspicious" is going to bring the world down upon a person. And getting shot by mistake hurts just as much as on purpose.

A good week to get the house chores done, I'll bet.

Anyone planning any Boston caching (especially urban caching) next week?

[Edited for typos - DJ]

Edited by DustyJacket

Good point. Might be a good idea for those with urban caches in/around the "action" in Boston to temporarily disable or even remove them until normalcy returns, if only to keep the caches or those who might be seeking them from causing too many headaches.

(Just my two pennies)

I heard a story on the radio today that the newspaper boxes in the area have been temporarily removed.

That isnt because they are afraid of terrorist threats...Its just that they are afraid that the people attending the convention might catch a glimpse of a paper and find out what is happening in the real world versus what the pundits are saying is happening....

This is also going to be done at the RNC...... :D neither side wants reality to come thru during their brainwashing...er...rallying. reality is a terrible detriment to politicking's cause.

:o

I heard a story on the radio today that the newspaper boxes in the area have been temporarily removed.

My company has an office in Boston.

Amongst other things, delivieries are cancelled.

Anything that could carry a bomb or chical or bio weapon is going to be suspect. In my book, that means all bags, backpacks, boxes, lunchpails, tupperware, and ammo cans.

It is not about giving up freedoms. It is about avoiding trouble.

(Heaven help you if you have outstanding parking tickets and do some caching there next week.)

You cannot imagine what the city is going to be like. I live about a mile from the FleetCenter. They are shutting down the highway (93), local streets, and public transportation that goes anywhere near the convention.

Not that I can blame them but it'll still be a nightmare. Most sane people are skipping town next week (like me). The smart people in my office (also a mile away) have already booked travel to our NY and other offices. I'll be looking for caches in SC instead of explaining to nervous Boston cops that geocaching is really a fun, harmless activity.

Yeah, it kinda sucks. I like to try and get a few caches in while on travel, but on this trip I'll just have to restrict my caching to near the hotel. Luckily, I'm staying a little bit north of the city and there are a few caches around, so it shouldn't be too bad. I would like to find some while in the city taking in the sites though.

Shannon

VegasCacheHounds

If you lived.

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

Sorry, that's pure BS and assumes trigger happy yahoos which they aren't. I found myself in the middle of a Reagan motorcade in an area that was supposed to be barricaded off and the general public kept away. Nothing happened then although I was watched and a couple of Huey's hovered overhead... and that was after he recovered from the shooting. Granted, today's situation is only slightly more tense, but that gives no excuse for citizens to fear to tread and allows erosion of your rights.

Always question authority - but with respect.

I too live less than a mile from downtown Beantown. Unfortunately, it puts you between a rock and a hard place in terms of geocaching. If you haven't done everything downtown, you certainly aren't going to do one this weekend/coming week. If you want to do anything outside of that area, you need to drive and the roads will be completely farked (because they'll be dealing with everyone not able to use the other roads/public transportation that are shut down!).

Finally, they've put up a dozen preventive measures, like selective bag checking on the subway...but only at certain stops...so if you just get on further down the line and ride in, you can go straight past their checkers to the same places they're trying to protect without being inspected! How secure is *that* system?? :o

Now, I need to go, there are some men in dark suits who want to talk to me about giving away the loopholes in their plans...

TotemLake, I don't really want to argue. I was just wondering how this would affect Boston cachers.

In my earlier post I was talking "accident" and not trigger happy.

When I was "in the business" an officer tripped and involuntarily shot another person.

He was not "triggerhappy", just had bad luck and made a poor decision.

The officer was raked over the coals and quit and went to therapy for years. (I don't know if he ever got sued.) The dead person stayed dead.

The government is expecting something bad to happen at the DNC, so with tensions very high, bad things happen. It is not right, not fair, but it is life.

Sorry if this offends. I'll give y'all a break, and take the boat to the lake.

(And I won't complain a week from today, when y'all ridicule me because nothing untoward happened to any innocent people.)

[Edited to clean up any inflamatory words - DJ]

Edited by DustyJacket

okay, here's the precis of my thoughts on this topic:

abrogation of civil liberties for any reason sucks.

boston sucks.

if you're interested in escaping boston, i know of some good inns near my house that are offering special convention week rates.

and i HAVE been to boston in the fall.

TotemLake, I don't really want to argue. I was just wondering how this would affect Boston cachers.

In my earlier post I was talking "accident" and not trigger happy.

When I was "in the business" an officer tripped and involuntarily shot another person.

He was not "triggerhappy", just had bad luck and made a poor decision. 

The officer was raked over the coals and quit and went to therapy for years.  (I don't know if he ever got sued.) The dead person stayed dead.

The government is expecting something bad to happen at the DNC, so with tensions very high, bad things happen.  It is not right, not fair, but it is life.

Sorry if this offends.  I'll give y'all a break, and take the boat to the lake.

(And I won't complain a week from today, when y'all ridicule me because nothing untoward happened to any innocent people.)

[Edited to clean up any inflamatory words - DJ]

Well Dustyjacket, that's unfortunate that happened, both to the officer and the deceased. Unfortunately, that can happen at any time under any circumstance.

No arguements here dude. We each have to weigh in on what is right for ourselves.

Midway Cafe, that really doesn't excuse tromping over civil rights now does it?

[soapbox]

Simply put, if I'm going to be considered a law breaker for doing something innocent and perceptively within the law, then so be it. I'll put it out to the media about the infraction of my civil rights the same way folks here have put out their complaints about unapproved caches.

That's just my $.02. I've been stopped and questioned a few times in the past, I don't expect it to stop now and I won't let the possibility of it or the possibililty of being critically injured cause me to become fearful enough to give up my right to do what I want.

[/soapbox]

Edited to add - I will however avoid those events only because I can't stand the traffic gridlock. :o

Edited by TotemLake

i simply ADORE being detained and questioned. it gives me an opportunity to explain to the officer that i'd prefer it if he got out of my way so i could continue doing the REALLY important stuff: playing games.

i go out of my WAY to look suspicious while engaging in perfectly legal activities. i consider it to be my patriotic duty.

For those who think it is allright that our civil libertirs are trampled over in the name of National seurity, I suggest that you do not deserve to be free. it is a bunch of BS for anyone in the US to be expected to give up there freedom for any reason. Once you start giving up your freedom in fear the terrorist win. They have won in Boston and the people in boston are now living in a dictatorship.

They have already trampled on several of our liberties sense 911, when are the people in this country going to wake up and realize they are getting screwed over. As long as we re electing the same jerks thing are going to get worse. Wait until they satart to reqiure an internal passport to travel out of our zip code.

The DNC does not need to have a convention or the RNC, these days the candidates are select before the conventiion, in years past this was not the case. THere is no law that requires a convention so lets just put an end to them.

hey, hey, hey. part of civil liberties means that any organization that wants to get up and cheer for itself for a week gets to do it. regrettably, this includes the demmicans and the republicrats.

i just don't think they ought to get to tie up freakin' boston for the week. NYC i'm not so sure about. how would anyone tell the difference?

I just had a thought:

Nothing will happen at the DNC.

I think the "bad guys" would be more likely to hit the Repubicans, instead.

I would think they would like Kerry.

My bad.....

I 2nd that. Not starting anything political, but I saw Kerry today at his rally here in Denver, awesome. I can't tell you how to vote, but I urge you to vote this year, this is a big year to vote. I'd hate to see another 4 years of hell, but then again, that's my opinion. There is nothing I hate more than people complaining about our government if they didn't vote.

Could someone kindly tell me what's up in Boston this week?

Sen. Kennedy taking his driver's license test?

*snort*

i nearly peed myself laughing.

There is nothing I hate more than people complaining about our government if they didn't vote.

And there's nothing I hate more than people voting who haven't been following the issues, because they think voting is an intrinsic virtue whether it's an informed vote or not. That's like firing a gun into the air because your daddy was a hunter.

If you haven't been paying attention, please don't vote!

Finally, they've put up a dozen preventive measures, like selective bag checking on the subway...

I wonder if this will effect that guy the Kingston Trio sang about who's been riding 'neath the streets of Boston forever? :o

I am so glad I live in Missouri.....no one important ever comes to Missouri.

Hey, wait a minute! I'll be in Missouri in 2 weeks.

Maybe I should consider bringing the Huey's and the guys in dark suits. All the extra eyes would make the caching a lot easier.

There is nothing I hate more than people complaining about our government if they didn't vote.

And there's nothing I hate more than people voting who haven't been following the issues, because they think voting is an intrinsic virtue whether it's an informed vote or not. That's like firing a gun into the air because your daddy was a hunter.

If you haven't been paying attention, please don't vote!

Yep, too many elections are won these days by the candidate who hired the better ad agency and image consultants. If you need an ad to help you decide, don't bother.

It really scares me when polls say x percent (usually arout 5-10) are still undecided the day before the election. Sheesh, if you don't know by then, stay home.

Edited by briansnat

I was not looking for excuses. I was merely saying that if someone chooses to ignore others learning experiences then they should expect problems.

Being someone who's family was hit by a terrorist (not 9-11-01), I have no problem skipping the caching in high risk areas for a couple of days, nor would I hesitate to disable my caches if they were in those areas.

Freedom, yes we have freedom. Freedom to travel in the pursuit of caches and benchmarks. We also have the freedom to make decisions and like it or not, we have to live with those decisions.

If you decide to test the Feds system and log an official complaint about the trampling of your freedom, I would recommend wandering around the area hunting for a few of your local benchmarks, beginning at the top of the list.

Future Fed Fodder Fun

Or,

Alternate 4F

Ah, decisions, decisions.

And that is my $.02.

Midway Cafe

But W said our nation is safer now than before.... but he expects violence on election day??? So how are we safer??? Sorry, I know off topic.

I must say this is the silliest thing I have heard all day. Well, the day is still young.

Maybe it is because I spent 20 years defending this country, got my first taste of terrorist attacks in 1982 before most Americans learned to spell terrorist. Or maybe it is that most people are so stuck in their day-to-day rut that they never comprehend the "big picture". I dunno....

As to being safer.... when was the last "hit" on our soil? George W has done (once again) exactly what he said he would. He took the fight to the enemy. "Bring them on" he said. And they brought it on. But on their ground, not ours.

As my son Army_Scout writes, "You can't kill them if you can't find them... but we found them!" We took the fight to their country, thereby sparing our country as much further trouble as possible.

This being said, for the U.S. to continue to keep the fight off our land, we must do it right every time. For the terrorists to hit us again, they only need to do it right once. A simple fact that every military man learns, defending your position is something quite different from attacking a position.

If you have never picked up a rifle and headed toward the sound of the battle you probably won't understand much of this. Those who have - do. We sleep safe at night because young men - SOLDIERS - are willing to do great harm on our behalf. And they are doing it OUTSIDE our borders. I would join them if they would have an old retired sergeant once more.

God bless them.

And if Kerry gets elected, and brings them home, only a few things will change. The fight will then be back on our soil, and your taxes will go up. As long as George W keeps the fight over there, WE ARE SAFER!

I was not looking for excuses. I was merely saying that if someone chooses to ignore others learning experiences then they should expect problems.

Being someone who's family was hit by a terrorist (not 9-11-01), I have no problem skipping the caching in high risk areas for a couple of days, nor would I hesitate to disable my caches if they were in those areas.

Freedom, yes we have freedom. Freedom to travel in the pursuit of caches and benchmarks. We also have the freedom to make decisions and like it or not, we have to live with those decisions.

If you decide to test the Feds system and log an official complaint about the trampling of your freedom, I would recommend wandering around the area hunting for a few of your local benchmarks, beginning at the top of the list.

Future Fed Fodder Fun

Or,

Alternate 4F

Ah, decisions, decisions.

And that is my $.02.

Midway Cafe

Like learning that sense 911 the feds do not need a search warrent to enter your home if the "think" you might have be a danger to society. (Like Hazi Germany)

like the talk of a national ID card in congress that you would need to travel even within the US. (Like the ones they had in Nazi Gemany)

Then the plan to profile all US citizens before they can travel by air.

Now they are starting to check people at buss depots and Train stations (Like Nazi Germany)

Unless we start voting all these jerks out of office, Republican and Domocrats both we have only ourselves to blame.

If we do not learn form the past we will repeat it. The past is not just the past few years. go back to the 30s in Eurpore.

The you can open your eye to reality.

If the DNC or RNC had a convention in this area, it would not stop me from doing what i want to do.

THe people of Boston should be raising hell about the loss of their freedom.

As far as GW saying we are safer now, we may be a little safer, but you can never stop all terrorist.

Edited by JohnnyVegas