Report Dead Caches?

Thot

The Title overstates the certainty of knowing a cache is "dead," but let’s assume there’s good reason to suspect a cache is no longer in place. Should I report my suspicion to someone? If so, who?

While selecting some new caches to hunt this morning I came a cross one that had a history of consistent and regular finds every week to two weeks for a couple of years. Now, for the last four months there have been no finds, and 5 DNFs have been reported.

This strongly suggests to me something’s gone wrong with this cache.

Edited by Thot

Or, you could begin by trying to contact the cache owner, like this:

Hello,

I am interested in searching for your "Fluffy Pink Bunnies" cache in West Park, but I noticed that the last five logs all reported that they could not find the cache.  The most recent successful find was in April.

So that I don't waste a trip, can you please confirm for me that the cache is still in place? 

Thanks,

Joe Geocacher

Now, something like 75% of the time, you will get no answer at all, or the e-mail will bounce because the address is dead. This is because *active* and *responsible* cache owners will check on a cache before five DNF logs accumulate over a period of several months. Assuming you don't hear anything back for a week (to allow for vacations, etc.), THEN log a "Should be Archived" note. It greatly helps the reviewer to know that the owner has not been responsive to e-mails about maintenance. The cache will be archived more quickly, knowing that this has already been attempted without success.

Hello,

I am interested in searching for your "Fluffy Pink Bunnies" cache in West Park, but I noticed that the last five logs all reported that they could not find the cache.  The most recent successful find was in April.

So that I don't waste a trip, can you please confirm for me that the cache is still in place? 

Thanks,

Joe Geocacher

Now, something like 75% of the time, you will get no answer at all, or the e-mail will bounce because the address is dead. This is because *active* and *responsible* cache owners will check on a cache before five DNF logs accumulate over a period of several months. Assuming you don't hear anything back for a week (to allow for vacations, etc.), THEN log a "Should be Archived" note. It greatly helps the reviewer to know that the owner has not been responsive to e-mails about maintenance. The cache will be archived more quickly, knowing that this has already been attempted without success.

Where the heck is my two thumbs up frogicon?

If you don't find it then log a DNF. If a bunch of people haven't found it then try to contact the cache owner and have them check on it. If you don't hear back from the cache owner in a reasonable period of time (say a week or so, give people time for vacations etc) then log a "Needs Archive".

Thorin

Hello,

Thanks,

Joe Geocacher

Hmm . . . My instincts were right. Here's the version I sent:

I was about to try your "Fluffy Pink Bunnies," but noticed the last 5 tries have been DNFs while the history shows regular finds before that and almost no DNFs.

Do you know if it's still in place?

No reply yet.