No More Beating Dead Horses... Please!!!

Why, oh why must we flog these poor, dead horses? Practically every day there is a rehash of one or more of:

1. Wahhh... my virtual wasn't approved, wahhhhh

2. my 'cache wasn't approved, my approver hates me.... wahhhhh

3. GC.com is a. Unfair

b. poorly run

c. ignoring the masses

4. Micros suck, they shouldn't be allowed

5. The colour of the forum boards hurts my eyes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

<rant>

Okay, the last one's my own invention, but I didn't want to stay totally serious here. Let's face it... those of us who have haunted the boards for more than a week or two KNOW the official position on virtuals. We know (even if we hope that we can circumvent it somehow) the requirements to get a 'cache approved, and we know (hopefully) that TPTB don't have the time or interest to pick on any one person here.

To quote an instructor from my Basic Training many years ago, "Suck it up Princess!". If your 'cache gets archived or your virt denied, chances are about 99% certain that something you did didn't meet the requirements. Whether you like them or not, those are the requirements here, and if you don't like it, well, don't let the door hit you on the way out!

I am here to have fun. I enjoy the boards, and I enjoy 'caching. They are two parts to the activity, and I like them both for different reasons. What I don't like is the near constant stream of "moan and drip" threads that are showing up (and yes, the irony of this has not escaped me). I totally support airing legitimate gripes, thoughts, suggestions and complaints, but come on people... do we really need to cover the same ground fifty times in one week, just re-wording the subject line?

Let's all step back, take a deep breath, and say together: "Geocaching is fun. I am here to geocache and have fun. If something happens that I don't like I am going be the bigger person and accept it with a mature, objective attitude and go out and find that next 'cache!

</rant>

They come in here because GC.com gives them the right to put their grievance before a group of their peers.

What we have come to learn is:

That they are either trying to fudge their way through getting something approved by pulling a fast one.

They are leaving major portions of their communication with the approvers out of their posting here.

Or, they did not read the guidelines, and after doing all that hard work they believe they should have their cache approved anyway.

Take your pick its an old story.....and not one that is stopped easily unless people are willing to do their homework.

Edited by woof n lulu

Ok, you win, I hearby take the pledge.

I will only respond to 'how to geocache' questions and provide direct answers to the best of my ability, with no editorials.

Whew, I feel better already!

(and no I am not being sarcastic)

Edited by Elf Danach

One thing I've learned in the forums is that there is an amazing number of dead horse cartoons out there.

There is a reason and it's endemic to human nature. Geocaching wasn't the inspiration for them. I'll say this though, if only one side kicked the horse then they would score a goal and the game would be over. It's only a dead horse if the issue is decided the way you like.

People who complain about their cache being rejected are often doing so for the first time. No dead horse there. It's new to them.

Oh, and this isn't the first time this topic has come up either. But people are posting... go figure. :o

not to mention when some poor schmoe doesn't know it's been beaten to death and comes in with a stick...

or

...wait, can i rephrase the question? maybe if i rephrase the question, i'll get a different answer.

or

maybe if i say it AGAIN, the people with the firmly entrenched positions will see it my way.

and what's the matter with grey?

So you're making the assumption that TPTB are always right, never make mistakes, never let personalities taint their decisions and that "complainers" and/or dead horse beaters are always wrong. Based on that assumption, I suppose you're right - there is no point bringing up anything in the forums that questions TPTB or any of their decisions because they are perfect and never make mistakes. :o

<snip>  Oh, and this isn't the first time this topic has come up either.  But people are posting... go figure.  :o

I know that dude... but I had this really big stick, and an incredible desire to beat something with it, so.... (that was part of the irony I mentioned in para 3 of the rant) :D

Edited by tirediron

uh, no... i don't think that's what i was trying to say.

for example, take the stats debate. it rages on periodically, but most of the players have said all they're going to say until somebody new to the debate pops in and has another whack at it.

there are several other horses which regardless of the cause of death are still pretty dead unless there's a new breakthrough in the field of veterinary medicine.

continuing to complain loudly does not usually result in best results.

of course, sometimes i'm having a slow day and a little horse beating enlivens my reading pleasure. i know how to ignore threads that bore me.

I have to agree with that rant, but oh woe to the pot-stirrers of the board. How on earth will they ever keep their post-count up without the same old crap to carp about?

It’s not about the post count. It’s about having something to validate their lives. Something to point to and proclaim “I am responsible for that”!!

hate to say it, but this thread's been done too...guess we really have nothing new to add...

Dang, he stole the words outta my mouth. :o

As new people enter the forums, some will try to hitch a plow behind a dead horse. Don't read it. Ignore it. It will go away until the next one brings it up.... It's inevitable. But PLEASE try NOT to be rude to them.

SNOOG9.jpg

HOW MANY THREADS DO WE NEED TO HAVE ON BEATING DEAD HORSES!? Perhaps YOU need to get over the fact that people will beat dead horses!!!

I am, of course, only kidding. :D

I certainly don't oppose discussing items of genuine concern (that's why these forums are here), but there are only so many times I can hear the virtual/locationless/0.1 mile whines. :o

5. The colour of the forum boards hurts my eyes.

well, here's the thing... i am perfectly fine with the colors of the board. i am slightly peeved at some people who change the color of their posts just to make them stand out more. (no offense, beta test. :o )

and wait... the line at the bottom of the slide... this was really presented at the 2003 texas summit for science math and tech?

5.  The colour of the forum boards hurts my eyes.

well, here's the thing... i am perfectly fine with the colors of the board. i am slightly peeved at some people who change the color of their posts just to make them stand out more. (no offense, beta test. :o )

and wait... the line at the bottom of the slide... this was really presented at the 2003 texas summit for science math and tech?

If you had done a search, you would have found the correct thread to gripe about your pet peeves :D

5.  The colour of the forum boards hurts my eyes.

If you had done a search, you would have found the correct thread to gripe about your pet peeves :D

No way, dude. Bumping an old thread is a clear violation of another thread... :D

So basically some people don't want certain things discussed just 'because'? So the people who may want to discuss those things can't? So why does that seem wrong to me somehow?

The same thing people say about caches also apply to these forums- if you don't like virts don't do em, if you don't like discussions on virts don't read and/or post to those threads. No one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to read or post to any topic. Change the channel. Ignore it. Posting a dead horse picture does not help and gets just as old as some of the topics after a while.

Pretty simple.