Newbie needs HELP...b-packs

crazycoyote

Oh boy my head is spinning. My son has gotten me this far and I am reeling from reading all of your posts regarding what GPS to get. Still haven't decided.

BUT....I think I have a question you all might be able to help me on. I have been looking for backpacks to carry all of the stuff I need on these hikes. Do I need one with a bladder or not, how big, how sturdy? Remember, I will probably be schlepping all of my kids stuff too.

Will be heading out on the first adventure this weekend.

It also depends on how adventuresome you are getting. How old are the kids? When I take my 2 and 6 year olds, I make the 6yo where just a regular Spider Man one. I never put anything heavier than a water bottle in it, because - well - I've got a 2yo on the trip and we ain't gonna be walking too far.

There are more rugged types that would let you know what they would use for rugged adventures.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

quote:
Originally posted by Baruk:

Oh boy my head is spinning. My son has gotten me this far and I am reeling from reading all of your posts regarding what GPS to get. Still haven't decided.

BUT....I think I have a question you all might be able to help me on. I have been looking for backpacks to carry all of the stuff I need on these hikes. Do I need one with a bladder or not, how big, how sturdy? Remember, I will probably be schlepping all of my kids stuff too.

Bladders are nice but what are the kids going to drink out of. For quick hikes a camelbak Hawg is plenty big but over all I find the camelbak line not very comfortable for hiking. Great for bikes though.

You can find many daypack with bladder pounches now. Find a pack the feels comfortable first and then worry about size. Depending on how far into the woods your going will determine how much you need to bring. You can get into stuff like:

first aid kits

emergency space blankets

extra food

extra water

matches

flashlight

rain jacket

etc

etc

or for quick hikes all you might need is

water

snacks

maps

trade items

extra batteries.

Something in the daypack catagorie would mostlikely be versitile enough for most caching needs. Even in this size range you can get simple like a book bag or really technical with daisy chains, ice axe loops, multiple pockets, pladder, nice contoured shoulder straps, good waist starp, etc etc etc.

It's a how much do you want to spend thing. But any daypack will probablly do.

george

icon_eek.gif Oh yeah, wear GOOD shoes.

quote:
Originally posted by Baruk:

Bladders are nice but what are the kids going to drink out of. For quick hikes a camelbak Hawg is plenty big but over all I find the camelbak line not very comfortable for hiking. Great for bikes though.

You can find many daypack with bladder pounches now. Find a pack the feels comfortable first and then worry about size. Depending on how far into the woods your going will determine how much you need to bring. You can get into stuff like:

first aid kits

emergency space blankets

extra food

extra water

matches

flashlight

rain jacket

etc

etc

or for quick hikes all you might need is

water

snacks

maps

trade items

extra batteries.

Something in the daypack catagorie would mostlikely be versitile enough for most caching needs. Even in this size range you can get simple like a book bag or really technical with daisy chains, ice axe loops, multiple pockets, pladder, nice contoured shoulder straps, good waist starp, etc etc etc.

It's a how much do you want to spend thing. But any daypack will probablly do.

george

icon_eek.gif Oh yeah, wear GOOD shoes.

Like they said above, find one that fits you. Everyones shape is different and different brands fit some people great and others not at all. I've seem to have the same frame as the Kelty designers, every Kelty pack I own fits great. This is the one I use for day hiking:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=16440750&prmenbr=226

It has a lot of features you'd find on more expensive packs. Check out llbean.com or rei.com Both have lots of nice packs at good prices.

What you could do is assemble everything you think you'll be carrying and bring it to a good outdoor store. The better stores won't mind if you load up some packs and test drive them in the store. Or just weigh what you'll be carrying, most outfiters have weighted stuff sacks on hand just for filling up packs.

Another thing to remember if you go caching in the winter, you'll need more room for: extra hats, gloves, fleece, hot chocolate and so on.

Have fun

It really depends on how far into the woods you are typically going, and how much you want to carry. I don't go on all that many long far away caches (yet!) because I mainly go on my lunch hour or before work. I usually just carry my trade items, hiking staff, emergency kit (don't go ANYWHERE without it!, lunch, and GPS so I am going to get an REI Skree pack when they come out again. The Skree is a one shoulder light day pack/sling with a water bladder that ought to be perfect for the caches I do. It all depends on you and your gear and preference.

Later,

TikimanHSA (Hunter)

There is a popular brand of bladders with drink tubes (rhymes with ammo-back) that makes a backpack bladder with extra pockets to carry stuff. Personally, since most of my cache hunts are fairly close to civilization, I use a fanny pack with external pouches for water bottles--it has sufficient room for a few items to exchange, my camera, cell phone, map, silva ranger compass, small first aid kit, and a couple of powerbars. Happy cachin'!!! 15T

www.1800goguard.com

Use what you have ... until you find out what you'll need ... based on your style of caching. Over time I've done a simple daypack ... a shoulder bag (courier) and now I pretty much use a CamelBak Trailblazer ... Absolutely perfect for the way I cache hunt and other than filling the bladder it's ready to go. Large enough to carry what I need ... small enough to keep me from overloading. I've added two small pouches on the strap ... one to keep my camera ready and one for the GPS when it's off. Fits well, rides well and carries my trade goods, repair kit, first aid kit, rain gear and a snack if I'm on a full day hunt. I love the water bladder ... much nicer to deal with than water bottles.

348_2702.gif

Now I'll throw a monkey wrench into the works. icon_smile.gif I looked at all the "bladder" packs, and decided I didn't want to mess with all that. Plus, most of my caching is urban/suburban, less than one hour stuff. So I got a slightly larger fanny-pack, and I carry a couple bottles of water in it. Doesn't hold as much liquid as the dedicated packs, and can cost more for water, but for convenience I really like it. Plus I can carry water AND juice at the same time. icon_smile.gif

Just another viewpoint.

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

Now I'll throw a monkey wrench into the works. icon_smile.gif I looked at all the "bladder" packs, and decided I didn't want to mess with all that. Plus, most of my caching is urban/suburban, less than one hour stuff. So I got a slightly larger fanny-pack, and I carry a couple bottles of water in it. Doesn't hold as much liquid as the dedicated packs, and can cost more for water, but for convenience I really like it. Plus I can carry water AND juice at the same time. icon_smile.gif

Just another viewpoint.

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

I have a full size backpack in the car I got on sale at Bauer for $15! Check for seasonal sales. I also have a small daypack & a fanny pack as well. When I get to the cache sight I decide which will best suit the trip. Usually leave the big one behind. Whatever the size just make sure to take MORE WATER THEN YOU THINK YOU NEED!!!

I like to fill sport bottles the night before about half full then freeze them. The next day before I head out I top them off with fresh water. The water stays ice cold just about all day & once you buy the bottles the first time just keep refilling them. They stay colder if you wrap them in a wash cloth & put in a plastic bag in your pack and also the condensation doesn't soak everything & you get a refreshing face cloth!

Look at some form of a rucksack. Generally they have a large central part (for clothes etc.)

And in the outer compartments one for your garden trowel (not for buried caches) but for making catholes, along with TP and hand sanitizer. The other compartment is good for a first aid kit. And water bring more than enough. To save money the first time use 1 liter pop bottles. You can make a little sleeve for them put a strap on them and the kids have a canteen.

The "Bushwhacker"

In all honesty unless you are going to go after acache that you are going to be hiking for more than half day I would suggest ou go to your local Sports Authority. They have a collection of inexpensive fanny packs that will let you carry one or two sports bottles, which have been fine for the majority of the chache si Have gone after so far. Also look at book bags, many are built to handle sports bottles, which should be ample for most caches. Wait until you have found some caches and have gotten a feel for what you need to bring with you. Alot of the items like matches and space blankets are good caches that may involve the btter part of a day to go to and from.

As a followup to the thread that Markwell mentioned, I'm happy to report that the REI Whitney day pack is working out great. I've taken it on half a dozen day hikes, two plane trips, and two overnight stays so far. It has quickly replaced my rucksack and various fanny packs as "just the right size".

My only complaint is that it is a little difficult to put water bottles _back_ into the small mesh pockets while the pack is on. I plan to get a bladder and put it in the large mesh pocket, so the complaint is moot.

If you are really serious about getting the perfect pack, you really need to try on a few dozen before you can get a good idea. That's where a store like REI is indispensible. There are discount stores like Academy or Sports Authority that have good selections as well. I usually opt for REI because, believe it or not, they usually have sales staff who know about the products they are selling. I've never had a bad experience shopping at REI. Wish I could say the same for Wal-M*rt, B*st B*y, Off*ce M*x, etc.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

Big or small:

PROPER FIT!!!

Most online stores and manufacturer's websites will have measuring/fitting instructions. It is worth the time. Riding an inch or two high or low can make a big difference in terms of comfort for even a short outing.

Personally, I like a day/overnight pack of about 2700-3200 cubic inches. It is a little big for short day hikes, but with three kids, it is still nice to have room for sweaters, extra water and snacks, and so on. In winter, when extra clothes get bigger, the pack is almost too small.

But, I also use the pack for day trips climbing, and short backpacking trips - both of which involve more stuff. If I just did hiking day trips, I might consider a fanny pack or bicycling pack. But, I do like the comfort you get from a padded belt, internal frame, and sternum strap - which you normally only get on a bit larger packs.

Good Luck,

-jjf

I use the above pack for almost all my outdoor activities, and it works great! It cost me almost $80, but I noticed it on sale here for much less:

http://www.prolithic.com/hpages/trn_acc/ultcycle.html

It holds a good amount of water, my first aid kit, snacks, knife, etc., plus trading items for caches. I can stuff a jacket in there if I need to.

The best thing is that it has a great suspension system and hugs my body well. I did not like the hydration bladder that it came with, however, so I replaced it with an Eddie Bauer one from Target...no big deal.

There is a photo of the pack at the above link.

Scott

32121_600.jpg

Lynchburg, Virginia

I just got a Camelbak M.U.L.E. from REI, they are on sale right now for only $55.99. This pack has a 100oz bladder, plus the bag is big enough to carry stuff for a long days hike, but small enough not to be too bulky if you just need to bring along a few things.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.