Regional Vocab

Polgara

Well???

For example, in PA, everything ends with "hanna" or "gheny". We have Allegheny, Youghegheny (sp?), Susquehanna, Loyalhanna, Quehanna, Schuylkill,

...just what does 'hanna' or any of these other words mean?

Maybe you have Indian names where you live, what do they mean? :o

Pocatello is from Chief Pocatello a former chief of one of the Sho-Ban Tribes (Don't know my history well enough to know which tribe). There is some controversy in that the tribes are claiming that Pocatello was a white mans name given to their chief.

All I know is I've never heard of another berg or anything else for that matter called Pocatello.

Edit: Added link.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Here are the original Indian place names on Long Island. Since the early 19th Century it was thought that these were the names of the original 13 tribes but that has since been proven a myth. Unfortunately the myth is still widely taught in schools.

Canarse,

Rockaway,

Merikoke,

Marsapeague,

Secatague,

Patchague

Matinecoc,

Nissaquague,

Satauket

Corchaug,

Shinnecoc,

Manhanset

Montauk

Map

Edited by JMBella

The Indians in this region were the Delaware (a.ka. Lenne Lenape). They spoke a variant of the Aglonquian language, so any book that deals with that language may have the information you want.

Some NJ Indian place names that come to mind are:

Aussinpink

Parsippany

HohoKus

Passaic

Rockaway

Hopatcong

Pepack

Hopatcong

Waywayanda

Netcong

Campgaw

Ramapo

Wanaque

Mahwah

Pequest

Moonachie

Allamuchy

Whippany

Succasunna

Hackensack

Secaucus

Weehawken

Kittitanny

Hoboken

Cheesequake

Pequannock

Pompton

Many of these names have been heavily Anglicized over the years. For instance what is now Whippany was once Whippanong

H.D. Thoreau's book, The Maine Woods has a glossary of Indian terms. Of course they will differ some from local Indian terms because they came from the Penobscot tribe, but because their language was also Algonquian based, there will be similarities.

And to answer part of your question, Susquahanna means "muddy river".

Edited by briansnat

And to answer part of  your question, Susquahanna means "muddy river".

So would it be safe to assume the suffix "hanna" means river? Therefore Quehanna would mean something-river?

That's possible. It also seems that the suffix "cong" means water. As in Lake Hopatcong and the Muskonetcong River amd Pohatcong Creek.

Therefore Quehanna would mean something-river?

It means "what river?" :o Also, I happened to be driving along the Susquehanna on Wed and it indeed is a muddy river. It was a chocolate-milk brown most of the way.

Edited by briansnat
Here's a resource:

GET NJ - The Origin of New Jersey Place Names

It's a mess of a page but click on the white on blue letters in the table to get to the lists.

I see they didn't touch Buttzville, NJ. The mystery continues. :o

Buttzville NJ, is named for the family, that owned a good portion of that region. The Butz Family cemetery is nearby.

I can say that I belong to this family.....

Here's a resource:

GET NJ - The Origin of New Jersey Place Names

It's a mess of a page but click on the white on blue letters in the table to get to the lists.

I see they didn't touch Buttzville, NJ. The mystery continues. :o

Buttzville NJ, is named for the family, that owned a good portion of that region. The Butz Family cemetery is nearby.

I can say that I belong to this family.....

:D

Hmmm.. Learn something new everyday.

Skylands

Actually Briansnat,

I remember reading once that Hopatcong actually translated to Lake of Many Coves.  I don't know which part of the name meant what, but I do remember doing some research on the local history in that area.

:(

I've heard that and I've heard "honey water of many coves" and a quick Google search turned up "stone over water", "honey pond of many coves" and "hill above a body of still water having an outlet" as other possible translations for Hopatcong.

I've long had a feeling the "pond of many coves" translation was apocryphal because the lake was much smaller before it was dammed and there probably weren't all those coves in colonial times and before.

This is is backed up by something I just read on a website about Hopatcong:

The meaning of the name Lake Hopatcong is not certain while one thing of which we are sure is that "Hopatcong" does not mean "honey waters of many coves" or any similar derivative. This definition was invented at the turn of this century by individuals seeking to evoke a romantic image of Lake Hopatcong that would help to promote the developing tourist trade.

A place names website I found said the following, but who knows if its true:

Meaning of Place Name: Hopatcong

Hopatcong: Lake in New Jersey. An Indian name, meaning "stone over water," because of an artificial causeway of stone which connected an island of the lake with the shore.

Here is a pretty good website that has info about NJ's Indian place names. Interesting reading. According to it, Hopatcong comes from the Lenape Lenape word, Hup-pa-chung which traslates literally as "good place to hide geocaches". :D

Edited by briansnat
Legend has it...(not a garmin legend) That one local tribe was called ...the fug-gow-wees

Because they would run around in the woods saying....Where the fug gow we????

I guess they should of had a Garmin :D  :D  :D  B) ..... :(

LOL! You silly geocacher!

I agree with Polgara....

You silly geocacher.....

There were dancing around BECAUSE they must have BEEN USING Garmins.... B)

Here are a few from West Virginia.

Kanawha

Pocatalico

Pocahontas

Logan

Shenandoah

Buchannon

There are many more, but I'm in a hurry right now.

But remember WVDAN, the way you have them listed is not the way the natives spelled or pronounced them, what you have are the white man's spelling and pronounciation. I belive I read that Kanawha was spelled and pronounced Kan-a-wa-que in the Algonquin language and that que meant river, while the Kan-a-wa meant white stones, meaning the river of the white stones. The Shawnee ran the east coast from NY to NC while thier main camp was in Shawnee town of Chillicothe, or Lower Shawnee Town. More of the Shawnee, along with a list of towns cane be found here :smile: Did I just give a history lesson? :ph34r:

I do know that "kill" has something to do with a river or stream - upstate, Eleanor Roosevelt's house is Valkill - and it is on some little creek, stream thingy -

and here I am talking crap about geography on a different thread!!!  :smile:

Kill is actually a Dutch word. Not Indian. Some that come to mind are the Arthur Kill, Battenkill, Wallkill, Normans Kill, Catskill, Kill Van Kull, Schuykill, Peekskill and Fishkill.

Worcester, Dorchester, West Chester, Chester, Chichester...

Now who is CHester?

Why is everything named after him?

This was a good question, so I had to look it up. Chester is the old English word for a Roman settlement or fort. So places in England like Manchester, Worchester, etc... were once Roman settlements and of course the ones here in the US were named after the towns in Brittain.

Edited by briansnat
Kill is actually a Dutch word. Not Indian. Some that come to mind are the Arthur Kill, Battenkill, Wallkill, Normans Kill, Catskill, Kill Van Kull, Schuykill, Peekskill and Fishkill.

This is true - however after a few beers, I did not feel like going back to put that in!

I mentioned it because I think someone referenced "kill"'s in something,

Unless, I was already drunk by that point?!?!?!?! :smile:

AHAH!!!

I found some!

Modern English = American Indian = translation

Cacoosing = Gokasing = Place of Owls

Monocacy = Manakesse = Winding Stream

Manatawny = Menhaltanink = Drinking Place

Moselem = Meschilameck = Trout Stream

Neversink = Navesink = Fishing Place

Oley = Olink = Place of Caves

Tamaqua = Tamaque-Hanne = Beaver Stream

Tulpehocken = Tulpewikaki = Land of Turtles

Wyomissing = Weomisinick = Tranquil Place

Turtle = Unanus

Turkey = Unalachto

Wolf = Minsi

:P

Ummmm............. I think Susquehanna acording to the Delaware tribe meant "Falls River" or river of the great falls.  At one time there was supposed to be a pretty decent size rapid between Harrisburg and Lancaster, PA. (from Egle's history of Dauphin and Lebanon Counties)

I got the muddy river reference for Susquahnanna from several places, including here,here, here, here and here.

A google search of "susquahanna muddy river indian" turned up hudreds of references, but I did find this from onewebsite:

That name, as well as the name for the Susquehanna River, is derived from the word Sasquesahanough, a descriptive term used by Smith's Algonquian interpreter to mean People at the Falls, or People of the Muddy River.

So, as with many Indian terms, the orignial meaning is subject to debate.

Edited by briansnat