Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Delta-S

Who Knows About Repeaters?

A friend has a UHF repeater from his business radio license. He's not using the business radios any longer, so wants to put this equipment into service as a HAM repeater.

I've found a likely frequency pair to use, but what about the hardware?

Will this equipment work as a legal HAM repeater? Do motorola repeaters do things like transmit their ID every ten minutes? Maybe another controller has to be added ???

What about software and cables for re-programming the repeater? Where can I get these?

This all sounds like a good and fun project, but is beyond my experience in the world of radios.

I've found a likely frequency pair to use,

Make sure you work with your area's frequency coordinator. An uncoordinated repeater that causes problems can be ordered to be shut down.

Will this equipment work as a legal HAM repeater?

That's where most of the ham repeaters come from.

Do Motorola repeaters do things like transmit their ID every ten minutes?  Maybe another controller has to be added ???

No idea. You'll have to research that one. You may have to do something about the duplexer too. It will have to be returned to the new frequency pair and depending on it's spec may have to be replaced.

This all sounds like a good and fun project, but is beyond my experience in the world of radios.

I suggest you check out various news groups. Somewhere out there is probably some Motorola repeater newsgroup.

A friend has a UHF repeater from his business radio license. He's not using the business radios any longer, so wants to put this equipment into service as a HAM repeater.

Like most other radio amateurs, I *love* handouts!!! Let me know the Motorola part number from the gear and I'll tell you exactly what you have, and also how difficult (or easy) it would be to use in amateur service.

Will this equipment work as a legal HAM repeater? Do motorola repeaters do things like transmit their ID every ten minutes? Maybe another controller has to be added ???

I'm assuming you are in north America so legally there shouldn't be a problem. Some Motorola systems have a CW (morse) IDer built in. If not, a cheap way to go is with the ID-8 ider. I use one of these on my repeater and it works fine - even adds a courtesy beep, which is nice. Price was free for me, but new expect to pay about 50$ new or 20$ used.

What about software and cables for re-programming the repeater? Where can I get these?

As mentioned above, give us some more information and I'll let you know what you need. Many surplus Motorola repeaters (like Micor and Mitrek) use crystals (which are normally purchased) to determine the operaint frequency.

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus