Baby With "bulls Eye Rash"

Oh My Gosh!! I'm so sorry! I do hope she is better soon! I always worry about that with our little one. We take him on every geocache we go on. However, we try to take every precaution we can. We have sprayed his Stroller down with the "outdoors equipment spray" (some type of poison). We don't spray him with DEET, but try to coat him with the Off/SkinSoSoft stuff. Then, we have this stroller netting.

7.jpg

But we still always check for ticks. I have found one on me and one on our baby. luckily, we caught them early and they didn't have time to feed. But we still keep an eye on the area that was bit! I still do hope all is well and it doesnt keep you from taking her along when you geocache!

Wow, that's a photo of a pretty classic case if ever I saw one. She's getting treatment early so I'm sure she'll be fine.

I was bitten by a tick back quite some years ago and had a semi-suspicious rash develop, not quite as well defined as your daughters, it was mostly a bruise looking thing. This was when Lyme's disease was fairly a new thing out here on the west coast. I went to get a blood test and it showed I was in the lower end of the "gray" area. The doc had me wait a short while and go back in for another test. That one still showed in the gray area however it was elevated over the last time. Got some drugs which took care of the problem...

I think I'm perfectly normal now. My avatar is a fairly recent photo of me. :o

Whoah...so that is NOT a third nipple on my leg?!?!?!?!? :o

I pulled a deer tick off myself last Sunday night...he had attached pretty good and been there a while. The doctor prescribed 2 weeks worth of antibiotics just to be safe. It really surprised me, actually, he's quite the outdoorsman and I figured he'd just blow it off, but he's seen enough problems to be cautious.

No actual "bullseye" though...just a red spot and a prescription.

Bret

I had to remove a tick from Sarah's neck a couple of months ago. The Dr. told me to just watch for a rash, fever etc... didn't have me bring her in. I had to pull one off of me a while back too. It left a red mark for a while, but no bulls eye rash. I didn't go to the dr. for that one. Our Doc said Lyme disease isn't as bad here [missouri] as it is in the on the East coast.

Just spoke to a friend here in town, looks like her little girl has the same thing as Sarah. But worse.

A good thing to do is after you remove a tick is put it in a small zip-lock bag and keep it. If you start to show signs of a rash they can test the tick faster then testing you. If after a few days you show no signs you can toss the bagged tick away. No harm in being extra prepared. This what our Dr. told us :o

I pulled one off my lower back (right at the belt-line) last summer and encased him in a little mini tupperware container. Let him sit in the south-side-of-the-house window sill during August. We kept him to watch for a reaction on me.

That stupid tick lasted for two weeks in that container - baking in the sun with very little oxygen. In the end we did not mourn the death of the one we dubbed "Super Tick".

Testing for lyme disease is usually not necessary. The diagnosis can be made based on the clinical picture only. The history of a tick bite for > 24 hours in an endemic area is all the history needed (regardless of whether a rash presents or not) to start antibiotics.

Two weeks of treatment is all that's needed to eradicate the infection. The infecting agent is a bacteria so the correct antibiotic for the correct period of time will be all that is needed. Its really no different than treating any other bacterial infection such as strep throat (streptococcal pharyngitis) or a urinary tract infection caused by E.coli. (Don't ask me to spell Escherchia)

The danger with Lyme is in not having it diagnosed and treated. Long term effects include neurological problems, heart block and arthritis.

Testing for lyme disease is usually not necessary. The diagnosis can be made based on the clinical picture only. The history of a tick bite for > 24 hours in an endemic area is all the history needed (regardless of whether a rash presents or not) to start antibiotics.

Two weeks of treatment is all that's needed to eradicate the infection. The infecting agent is a bacteria so the correct antibiotic for the correct period of time will be all that is needed. Its really no different than treating any other bacterial infection such as strep throat (streptococcal pharyngitis) or a urinary tract infection caused by E.coli. (Don't ask me to spell Escherchia)

The danger with Lyme is in not having it diagnosed and treated. Long term effects include neurological problems, heart block and arthritis.

Docs right. It doesn't pay to wait for a rash that may not show. I got bit about 3 years ago and sent the tick out for testing. It came back positive for Lyme and I went on antibiotics for a months. (That might be toolong but that's what my doctor ordered.)

But since then I found out that in my area (the NY Metro area), Deer ticks infection rates for Lyme can be 35-50% or more!!. Why take cahnces. If the sucker's ben feeding on you for more than 18 hours, I'd go on antibiotics. If you want to save the tick to trade, that's OK too, but I wouldn't wait for testing it.

Hope you kid responds and she's OK.

I hate ticks. My dog's had Lyme and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Ticksmake cahcing in the winter something I look forward too.

Alan

I have just two more days of antibiotics and then I'm officially Lyme free!

I saw two different doctors, and they each said that studies are reporting that you can get Lyme from a tick that's been in you for less than 18-36 hours. (Mine was only in for 8 hrs, but Diggles did a little squishing when he removed it.) They also said that the bull's eye rash is the classic symptom but not necessarily the most common in all regions. I, too, started treatment before waiting for test results.

I hope your little geocacher, GentleWhisper, is already feeling better (and is less a baby about taking pills than I am!).

I wonder if I can get Diggles to swathe me in mosquito netting and wheel me around? That sounds pretty good.

sorry for being oblivious to the paternal feelings that yall have but what is the actual chance that they have contracted Lyme disease. And another question if there is a Lyme disease why isn't there a lemon disease? Isint there a posibility that GentleWhisper might get caught in the netting. I know when I used mosquito netting it is hard for me to get out of it when I am not paying attention.

Edited by Team Flying Dachshund
sorry for being oblivious to the paternal feelings that yall have but what is the actual chance that they have contracted Lyme disease.

Not sure if this question was referring to my daughter. But the doctor seemed rather convinced that she had contracted Lyme disease.

In other news:

Sarah is not taking her medicine well. We had to hold her down... I could only get half in, and half on my husband She kept putting out her arm asking me to put the medicine on her bite. She thought that sounded like a much better option!

Edited by GentleWhisper