Great Ny/nj Loop Caches

briansnat

Here is a little hike I did the other week in Harriman. My track log had it in at about 14.5 miles, a bit long, but a lot of fun. I used a variety of trails and mixed in a bit of bushwhacking when needed.

a81ee7b4-4b2e-4c64-9fd1-4d2f88e8e728.jpg

Here are the trails I used starting and ending at Tiorati Circle:

- AT/Ramapo-Dunderberg

- Bottle Cap (never found it, so I bushwhacked what seemed like the right area)

- Bushwhack + Surebridge Mine Road

- Arden-Surebridge

- Dunning

- Island Pond Road

- Arden-Surebridge

- Island Pond Road

- AT/Ramapo-Dunderberg

Here is a little hike I did the other week in Harriman. My track log had it in at about 14.5 miles, a bit long, but a lot of fun. I used a variety of trails and mixed in a bit of bushwhacking when needed.

- AT/Ramapo-Dunderberg

- Arden-Surebridge

- Dunning

- Island Pond Road

- Arden-Surebridge

- Island Pond Road

- AT/Ramapo-Dunderberg

Looks like a good hike, will have to file this one for a Saturday or Sunday trip during winter. Dont suppose you have any trail map sections you could post for this section of park?

- AT/Ramapo-Dunderberg

- Arden-Surebridge

- Dunning

- Island Pond Road

- Arden-Surebridge

- Island Pond Road

- AT/Ramapo-Dunderberg

Looks like a good hike, will have to file this one for a Saturday or Sunday trip during winter. Dont suppose you have any trail map sections you could post for this section of park?

If you and ThirstyMick want some company - I'd be happy to join y'all, some winter Sat or Sun.

Here is another 4 mile loop that will earn you 4 or 5 smilies (Black Rock Forest, NY):

03316f4b-6bfe-4c98-8f7d-7b6dba74ec85.jpg

The caches (these are snow-friendly, as we found/hid them on 1/11/09 with about 10 inches of snow on the ground; also keep in mind that by widening your route, you can pick up considerably more caches):

Ben's Bridge of Misery

Windfall

A Little More Misery

Log Only

Stillman's Reservoir

(Do a PQ of the area, and you'll see that there are some other fantastic caches along the way. To say that you could get away with 10 smilies is not unreasonable.)

Also, look for an upcoming event at the parking lot, similar to Weathernowcast's Mmmm. . . Donuts! event where, after breakfast of sugar and shortening, you can venture off and complete these all on your own, or with a group.

Here is a hike I did on Sunday with slukster and ThirstyMick at Long Pond Ironworks State Park:

Track Log:

0b9ccfd9-c2cb-4b42-8ec6-e0867d264351.jpg

Elevation Profile:

b98cb1a3-0649-477b-a2c6-e9ba5417ea96.jpg

Track Log Specifics:

Length: 8.1mi

Area: 1.2 sq mi

Elapsed Time: 7:32:13

Avg. Speed: 1.1 mph

Trail Notes: Took The Highlands Trail from parking and then followed the Yellow Trail for a little bit until we got to a dirt road going to The Homestead. Then we took some old dirt roads and bushwhacked through the swamp and a steep hill to get back on The Highlands Trail. We were planning on a much longer loop hike to grab an extra 5 or 6 caches but do not believe this is possible in Winter and fresh powder. Given summer and extended daylight it would be possible to follow the dirt roads into New York State where they intersect The Highlands Trail with not need for the bushwhack. Nevertheless, we had quite an adventure and lots of fun bagging 6 caches and hiding 4 new ones :D

Hiked today in the Lake Sonoma area with ThirstyMick and picked up 11 new caches.

TrackLog:

4e59e8f9-c3ec-4036-892a-0dfcabd5a852.jpg

Elevation Profile:

b838b927-b2f2-4c38-afb9-2a33d8b12704.jpg

TrackLog Specifics:

Length: 5.6 mi

Area: 0.2 sq mi

Elapsed Time: 6:00:33

Avg. Speed: 0.9 mph

Hiking Notes: Burnt Meadow access road was partially closed due to ice so we were forced to park about 0.2 - 0.3 miles away from the usual parking location. There was about 3 inches of snow throughout the park with 5 inches in some places. For the most part we hiked along the Lake Sonoma Trail and used ATV roads to make a clockwise loop around the lake. There was one ATV road we wished to explore to the east of the lake but we ran out of daylight. The following is the NYNJTC map for the area: Lake Sonoma Trail. If you were to add an extra 2 hours or so to the hike it would be possible to hit up the remainder of the caches in the vicinity (we already found some of them prior to today when we were bushwhacking prior to the opening of the Lake Sonoma Trail). Will need to come back to bag Sonoma Holiday and perhaps hide a few new caches in that area.

Nice hike, that one. Once the snow melts, you'll be able to get to 'Alluvial Material' and 'Old Stage 1' and the potential find count jumps to nine.

'Old Stage 1' ? Only other cache apart from 'Alluvial Material' in the park is 'Old Stage 3' and that was confirmed missing by Old Navy who found it before... also lots of DNFs on that one.

Does anyone know of any good loop hikes within the Wildcat Ridge WMA or Split Rock Reservoir area? I'm looking to do a hike in the area and here's what I came up with:

(from the Upper Hibernia Road parking area):

Orange Trail-Four Birds Trail (White)-hunting trail-Split Rock Loop Trail (Blue)-Beaver Pond Trail (Red)-Yellow

In doing so I could hit these caches:

GCP6WZ Oreland

GCGQ2T Wildcat Ridge Hawk Watch

GCK0N6 Middle of Somewhere

GCK0KE Blueberry Hill

GCK1ZQ The Maze

GCT698 Half Centenarian

Thoughts on this? I've heard Wildcat Ridge is great for hiking and birding also. The last cache (Half Centenarian) is in an odd location and would require a fair amount of bushwhacking.

Does anyone know of any good loop hikes within the Wildcat Ridge WMA or Split Rock Reservoir area? I'm looking to do a hike in the area and here's what I came up with:

(from the Upper Hibernia Road parking area):

Orange Trail-Four Birds Trail (White)-hunting trail-Split Rock Loop Trail (Blue)-Beaver Pond Trail (Red)-Yellow

In doing so I could hit these caches:

GCP6WZ Oreland

GCGQ2T Wildcat Ridge Hawk Watch

GCK0N6 Middle of Somewhere

GCK0KE Blueberry Hill

GCK1ZQ The Maze

GCT698 Half Centenarian

Thoughts on this? I've heard Wildcat Ridge is great for hiking and birding also. The last cache (Half Centenarian) is in an odd location and would require a fair amount of bushwhacking.

That will work. There isn't a lot of underbrush in much of Wildcat Ridge, so bushwacking won't be too hard.

Or if you are really ambitious, you can do the loop around the reservoir. 12 miles and I think

11 caches (IIRC) in all.

On October 28, 2007 we did a Sunrise Stepoff in the area you refer to: Split Rock

It was a very enjoyable day, especially at the Hawk Watch as Chickadees ate from the hand of some of our hikers.

We started at Up There, worked over to The Maze, and included the following, Half Centarian, Wild Cat Ridge, Middle of Somewhere, Blueberry Hill. There were a couple of stream crossings, and the trail down from Hawk Watch was poorly blazed , but as we came down the slope it became more easily discernable. There was an Iron Furnace near the dam that drew some attention, and it was almost a perfect loop hike.

The only recommendation I would make is that you save it for a time when the Hawk Migration is underway, we were able to see some on the thermals. We had a most excellent adventure.

As far as Split Rock is concerned, I would see if you could inveigle someone into doing it via canoe, it is nonpareil, I often think of the day I went there via kayak, what a wonderous morning. Check out link below.

http://f.vanderburgh.home.att.net/geocache.html

Edited by Packanack

With the four new caches in Bear Mountain State Park on Dunderberg Mountain a nice loop hike can be made which includes the following caches, GCY0WQ, GC1MWFG, GC1MWFZ, GC1MWGB, GC1MWGK and GCY0WG. There is also a nearby virtual cache GC8FD5. Its a great hike with some wonderful views and the caches are all placed near sections of the never completed Dunderberg Spiral Railway.

Edited by Walkin' Ed

With the four new caches in Bear Mountain State Park on Dunderberg Mountain a nice loop hike can be made which includes the following caches, GCY0WQ, GC1MWFG, GC1MWFZ, GC1MWGB, GC1MWGK and GCY0WG. There is also a nearby virtual cache GC8FD5. Its a great hike with some wonderful views and the caches are all placed near sections of the never completed Dunderberg Spiral Railway.

A lot more caches than that can be found! :blink:Bear Mountain Loop Hike

Stonetown Circular Trail (Red Triangle)

Tracklog Summary

Length: 12.6 mi

Area: 2.7 sq mi

Elapsed Time: 9:03:24

Avg. Speed: 1.4 mph

Notes: About 1.5 miles of driving are factored into the above summary as this is how Stage 1 of 'Windbeam along Highland Trail' was attempted.

Tracklog

34714964-2eb4-4d65-8a0a-f34062d4f113.jpg

Vertical Profile

564597f0-a5dc-4423-bdd6-31939e45a196.jpg

New Caches

Placed the following new caches while we hiked the Stonetown Circular Trail:

GC1PAFH: Ricker Hill Stash

GC1PAFK: Harrison Mountain Lake View

Stonetown Circular Trail (Red Triangle)

Tracklog Summary

Length: 12.6 mi

Area: 2.7 sq mi

Elapsed Time: 9:03:24

Avg. Speed: 1.4 mph

Notes: About 1.5 miles of driving are factored into the above summary as this is how Stage 1 of 'Windbeam along Highland Trail' was attempted.

Tracklog

34714964-2eb4-4d65-8a0a-f34062d4f113.jpg

Vertical Profile

564597f0-a5dc-4423-bdd6-31939e45a196.jpg

New Caches

Placed the following new caches while we hiked the Stonetown Circular Trail:

GC1PAFH: Ricker Hill Stash

GC1PAFK: Harrison Mountain Lake View

Funny how a few years ago this was one Waterboy Multi cache, with perhaps another find or two on the route. Great hike though. I've done all of it, but never in one shot.

This is not so much a loop, but a there-and-back hike in the Catskills just outside of Woodstock. Waylesswood, Weathernowcast, Macatc1961, and brian b completed this 10+ miler (my gps read 12 miles) today, nabbing some awsome caches along the way. The nearby Treehugger cache was one of the most interesting hikes as we strolled through the Magic Meadow . . . .

The hike granted us four caches (Overlook Mtn House, Fire Tower Stash, Rattlesnake Rock, and the infamous The Rocky Lounge Cache) over about 12 miles. Nearby will be the Treehugger cache, which is a must-do.

And Woodstock itself is plagued with urban micros for those who like smileys.

fc680f40-803b-44d4-93aa-9cd8dce94637.jpg

Not a long hike but alas a nice Loop Hike along the Palisades Interstate Park. Started at Park Headquarters and hiked via Long Path (Aqua), Forest View Trail (Blue/White), Shore Trail (White), and Closter Dock Trail (Alpine Approach Trail) (Orange) while picking up 6 caches.

GPS Tracklog Summary

Length: 6.8 mi

Area: 0.4 sq mi

Elapsed Time: 2:26:16

Avg. Speed: 3 mph

GPS Tracklog

06475a56-2dd5-4138-952f-7a159c2d3e2e.jpg

Elevation Profile

ff81d185-4fd5-40a4-b940-32a5ad4322b6.jpg

Really nice hike and still had enough in me to go to the rock climbing gym afterwards :unsure:

Not a long hike but alas a nice Loop Hike along the Palisades Interstate Park. Started at Park Headquarters and hiked via Long Path (Aqua), Forest View Trail (Blue/White), Shore Trail (White), and Closter Dock Trail (Alpine Approach Trail) (Orange) while picking up 6 caches.

GPS Tracklog Summary

Length: 6.8 mi

Area: 0.4 sq mi

Elapsed Time: 2:26:16

Avg. Speed: 3 mph

GPS Tracklog

06475a56-2dd5-4138-952f-7a159c2d3e2e.jpg

Elevation Profile

ff81d185-4fd5-40a4-b940-32a5ad4322b6.jpg

Really nice hike and still had enough in me to go to the rock climbing gym afterwards :sad:

There is a similar loop starting at the State Line Lookout, with about 4 caches along the way including The Giant Stairs

Looks like no one has posted anything here for a while. Well, this weekend had the opportunity to spend 3 days backpacking in Harriman State Park. Battled through the rainy weather and got blistered feet due to sogginess (went through 3 pairs of dry socks and the shoes were waterproof). However, it was well worth it and I would do it again (even in the rain).

TrackLog Summary

Length: 53.9

Area: 19.1 sq mi

Elapsed Time: 2 days 6:41:48

Avg. Speed: 1.0 mph

Shelters: Big Hill Shelter (Night 1), Bald Rocks (Night 2)

Wildlife:: Deer (almost stepped on two fawn), Eastern Box Turtle, Frogs (lots of them, apparently they like it when the trails are rivers), Red-Spotted Newts, Snails, and lots of birds.

Note(s): Since I joined 3 separate tracklogs the elapsed time is not accurate. Also, there was one instance where the GPS died for about 0.25 miles and another instance where I forgot to turn it back on for about 0.50 miles after taking a break.

TrackLog Screenshot

aad4eeb4-7bd1-4b11-acb9-f86110812b35.jpg

Geocaches

Found a total of 2 Geocaches prior to starting the trek when I was staging the Gallon Water Jug stashes and then found 19 additional Geocaches throughout the weekend. If it had not rained I would suspect a lot more could have been found as I got back to the starting point at 3PM on Sunday having had enough of the rain and blistered feet.

Lessons Learned

1. Packed too much food... this can reduced in the future to save on pack weight.

2. Dropping off water jugs strategically worked quite well at trail intersections with roads. However, I would like to migrate to treating my own water.

3. Buying rain weather gear (ie, pants and jacket) was an excellent idea. Probably kept me from getting pneumonia.

4. Need better foot gear for rain... what I had did not work! Columbia water proof shoes, 3 pairs of socks, 2 plastic bags (dont ask).

5. Need a lighter sleeping bag which packs well. Initial research shows this would shave off 3+ pounds. Probably also need one to withstand colder weather... it was a little chilly in the Smokies around New Years.

6. Titanium spork served well for meals. Good purchase at a cheap price.

7. Probably not a good idea to use a Camelbak as a main carry bag and use bungee cords to keep everything in place. Will have to find a good light backpacking pack for longer and lengthier hauls.

8. Left over Chinese 'tupperware' is not good for storing food. It will come apart and you will get couscous and oatmeal all over the place. Lock N' Locks are probably too heavy... need to find a light and durable solution.

Edited by polskikrol

I'm glad you made it out alive, I was worried about you when you were dropping me off at the airport saying no to all of my suggestions demands.

Lessons Learned

1. Packed too much food... this can reduced in the future to save on pack weight.

Thank you thank you thank you for taking everything I packed for you. When we spent 3 days in the smokies, you see, I had to fight, battle, argue (there were tears) with PK to get him to allow me to bring a box of granola bars. "NO. ALL WE NEED IS PEANUT BUTTER."

2. Dropping off water jugs strategically worked quite well at trail intersections with roads. However, I would like to migrate to treating my own water.

3. Buying rain weather gear (ie, pants and jacket) was an excellent idea. Probably kept me from getting pneumonia.

"When you stop for ziplock bags, please find yourself a poncho","No, I'm not stopping for ziplock bags, I'll put the food in garbage bags and get menonia", "pneumonia, and DONT use garbage bags", "I'm not going back to the supermarket I'll just get pomonia", "Please just stop at the supermarket, garbage bags are gross you can't carry food like that and the tupperware will pack awkwardly" ..... etc (I think he was just trying to make me feel guilty for flying off to Florida without him) Thank you, darling, for stopping for rain gear

4. Need better foot gear for rain... what I had did not work! Columbia water proof shoes, 3 pairs of socks, 2 plastic bags (dont ask).

yeah seriously, WE need to get better rain shoes. I stepped into the car at the airport and stopped whatever I was saying midsentance (hanging up the phone with him, from coordinating my pickup) "Why does it smell like blood in your car?" He couldn't smell it or figure out why. I noticed when we got home...his toes and heels (which were in flip flops) are bloody stumps.

5. Need a lighter sleeping bag which packs well. Initial research shows this would shave off 3+ pounds. Probably also need one to withstand colder weather... it was a little chilly in the Smokies around New Years.

yeah but we were pretty dumb and didnt realize you were supposed to get naked before getting into mummy bags, having only ever camped in summer before, when we'd end up outside of the bag by morning

6. Titanium spork served well for meals. Good purchase at a cheap price.

7. Probably not a good idea to use a Camelbak as a main carry bag and use bungee cords to keep everything in place. Will have to find a good light backpacking pack for longer and lengthier hauls.

8. Left over Chinese 'tupperware' is not good for storing food. It will come apart and you will get couscous and oatmeal all over the place. Lock N' Locks are probably too heavy... need to find a light and durable solution.

Well I told you to get ziplock bags, didn't I? ;)<_<

I'm glad you had fun, and I'm glad you survived. Wait... I asked you like 6 times if you had fun, and like a male, ;) 6 times you answered some different question..... Did you at least have fun?

I've been doing this for 30 years and still haven't learned

A filter is worth its weight in gold, or save weight and buk and treat it with tablets if you don't mind the taste.

A decent set of waterproof gaiters helps a great deal you don't need the knee length ones that you use in the winter. You just need something to cover your socks so they don't wick the water inside your boots.

Slumberjack has an inexpensive line of summer weght sleeping bags. Using one definitely saves weight and room.

Attaching stuff to the outside will make the pack feel heavier and a lot less stale. The only thing that goes on the outside of my pack are my Thermarest and a cup. Look for something around 3,500ci to 5,000ci

You can go bigger too, but the tendendy is to fill up a larger bag. I know because I always fill my 6,000 ci pack even for overnight trips.

Ziplocs inside a nylon stuff sack work quite well for food storage. Also if you have a food saver like a Seal a Meal, they are an excellent way to package food.

Just went on an awesome two day loop hike in the Catskills :) Did not attempt any geocaches but found 4 summit canisters :D

Catskills 3500 Southern Region

Slide Mnt (4180ft) - 2009-11-09 0907

Cornell Mnt (3860ft) - 2009-11-09 1038

Wittenberg Mnt (3780ft) - 2009-11-09 1120

Friday Mnt (3694ft)* - 2009-11-09 1318

Balsam Cap (3623ft)* - 2009-11-09 14-1

Rocky Mnt (3508ft)* - 2009-11-09 1532

Lone Mnt (3721ft)* - 2009-11-10 0739

Peekamoose Mnt (3843ft) - 2009-11-10 0940

Table Mnt (3847ft) - 2009-11-10 1018

* Signed Summit Canister as this mountain is without a trail.

Total Trail Miles: 14.2mi

Total Bushwhacking Miles: 5.8mi

Overall Miles: 20.0mi

dadf39b7-60cc-4b41-8a39-78b94a43e471.jpg

Notes: Initially planned on performing the whole hike in one day and getting back down via headlamp as long as I hit the trail before sundown. However, due to the evergreen thickness during the bushwhack and reduced daylight this time of year I was forced to safely setup camp between Rocky Mnt and Lone Mnt about 1.5 miles from the nearest trail. Had lots of fun and plan on hitting up the remaining peaks and doing some winter hikes as well to complete the requirements. Picked up the Catskill Peak Experiences book while I was in Campmor as it caught my eye and I recognized at least 3 of the pictures from my adventure.

Edited by polskikrol

Just went on an awesome two day loop hike in the Catskills :) Did not attempt any geocaches but found 4 summit canisters :D

Catskills 3500 Southern Region

Slide Mnt (4180ft) - 2009-11-09 0907

Cornell Mnt (3860ft) - 2009-11-09 1038

Wittenberg Mnt (3780ft) - 2009-11-09 1120

Friday Mnt (3694ft)* - 2009-11-09 1318

Balsam Cap (3623ft)* - 2009-11-09 14-1

Rocky Mnt (3508ft)* - 2009-11-09 1532

Lone Mnt (3721ft)* - 2009-11-10 0739

Peekamoose Mnt (3843ft) - 2009-11-10 0940

Table Mnt (3847ft) - 2009-11-10 1018

* Signed Summit Canister as this mountain is without a trail.

Total Trail Miles: 14.2mi

Total Bushwhacking Miles: 5.8mi

Overall Miles: 20.0mi

Notes: Initially planned on performing the whole hike in one day and getting back down via headlamp as long as I hit the trail before sundown. However, due to the evergreen thickness during the bushwhack and reduced daylight this time of year I was forced to safely setup camp between Rocky Mnt and Lone Mnt about 1.5 miles from the nearest trail. Had lots of fun and plan on hitting up the remaining peaks and doing some winter hikes as well to complete the requirements. Picked up the Catskill Peak Experiences book while I was in Campmor as it caught my eye and I recognized at least 3 of the pictures from my adventure.

I've done all of these peaks though not in the same route. Great area with some gorgeous views.

There was a cache on Cornell years ago. I suspect it is still there though archived. I'd like to give it a shot one day.

Here is a nice 9.9 mile hike I did with ThirstyMick this past Saturday in Wawayanda State Park during the snow storm:

78637327-0b9e-4eeb-8d8c-cd9d960b26e2.jpg

Notes:

- Typical Highlands Manner (GC1BYGM) was DNFed and has since been confirmed missing by the CO.

- Rock the Kasmar (GC1F2W4) was not possible on account of darkness and having to shovel out the car before the park closed at 6PM.

- A Bridge To Far (GCXDZ2) was not attempted as we were not aware of the time this archived cache is still there.

Thus, given better weather and the above notes its possible to bag 12 caches on this loop at least. (I am not counting any caches I had found on my previous visits to the park which the loop passes.)

Another good loop is the new Mine Trail/Highlands Trail loop in Norvin Green. It's only a 3.5 mile hike but the new trails are outstanding

Will put that on my list for the Spring when GCHTXP is re-enabled ;) Unless the CO gives me permission to go in there to wake up some of the hibernating mammals :D

No cache in there as of now, and it may or may not be enabled come spring. It depends on whether or not the state allows people in the mine. It was closed all summer because of White Nose Syndrome.

Another good loop is the new Mine Trail/Highlands Trail loop in Norvin Green. It's only a 3.5 mile hike but the new trails are outstanding

Will put that on my list for the Spring when GCHTXP is re-enabled :P Unless the CO gives me permission to go in there to wake up some of the hibernating mammals :)

No cache in there as of now, and it may or may not be enabled come spring. It depends on whether or not the state allows people in the mine. It was closed all summer because of White Nose Syndrome.

Poor bats :[ Hope the ones in Hibernia are doing OK.. saw lots of them when I was there in early fall last year.

More information on WNS here.

Another great hike in Harriman State Park allowing for exploring Silvermine Lake, Cranberry Hill, Long Mountain, and Summer Hill over 13.1 miles. Did this hike with wjgrun in the snow :P We ended up finding 12 caches and there is a possibility for many more with a few extra hours of sunlight.

6d61a7b6-29a4-47df-be57-fb7094ba95fd.jpg

In general summary, we parked at the Anthony Wayne Recreation Area parking lot and took the following trails: Ski Trail -> Appalachian Trail -> Silvermine Road -> Seven Lakes Drive -> Nawahunta Fire Road -> Long Path -> Popolopen Gorge (PG) -> Turkey Hill Road -> 1779 Trail -> Anthony Wayne Trail.

Will be planning a hike around Bear Mountain soon and will plan on packing some coffee to french press at the top :)

Ramapo Valley County Reservation

cab28d93-1ca6-4a22-b9be-7130717c67b2.jpg

Notes: Really nice 8.8 mile loop hike which allows you to bag the new caches recently put out by weathernowcast and wjgrun. Parking is at the main lot off Ramapo Valley Road (Route 202). The following are the trails which were taken: Silver Trail -> Schuber Trail (Orange) -> Red-Silver Trail -> Shore Trail (Blue) -> Cannonball Trail (Red) -> Bushwhack (PK's favorite type of trail) -> White Trail -> Hoeferlin Trail (Yellow) -> Shore Trail (Blue) -> Bushwhack -> Pipeline -> Halifax Trail (Green) -> Silver Trail. Total hike in the snow should take around 6 hours if you take your time.