Garmin Mapsource

I mentioned in another post that I just bought Mapsource Topo for my Etrex Legend. I’m still learning how to use it but so far am very disappointed with it. It seems to be very inaccurate maps. My subdivision (built in the mid 80’s) is not on it at all.

I looked at a local State Park (Cedar Hill State Park) that I frequently mountain bike at and the trails are not on the map. But I did find a ‘road’ in the middle of the lake – take a look for yourself at N32.61320 W96.99889 on the Topo map. Zoom in to .2 miles and look at the road that begins and ends in the lake. Again none of the many trails in this park are on the map.

I also zoomed in on Cleburne State Park. This park also has a number of hiking/biking trails that circle a small lake. None of the trails are shown on the Mapsource Topo. The park is at N32.26041 W97.55525

Is the Topo map just bad around this area, or is it full of inaccuracies across the country? I’m really frustrated right now with this purchase – I’m not sure what use a map program is if it is full of inaccuracies. But I know that many on here think very highly of this program. I bought it because of things I heard on the forum. :P

Input????

The map data used for US Topo is quite old as far as street data is concerned. Street detail and urban data is NOT a strong point for this product...but the topo data is, hence the name. If you are looking for up-to-date street data, MetroGuide USA would do the trick for you. Note that the memory in your Legend will not hold much of this detailed map data anyways. Unfortunately, there is no combined product (like a combined MetroGuide/Topo product)...even if there was, the map data would require a substantial amount of GPS memory. Topo's map segments are a good size for your Legend. I think you will have to make do with the outdated street data since you have probably the best MapSource product for your Legend. You may want to check out US Roads & Recreation on the MapSource map viewer here. You can check out the map data for any MapSource product using the map viewer before you buy.

Edited by SergZak

Mapsource Topo is generally based on USGS topos, most of which were last updated in the 70s and 80s. If your street or favorite trail is not on the USGS topo, it is likely not on the Mapsource Topo.

As far as accuracy for elevation and topography, they are pretty good given the somewhat limited resolution of the elevation data (USGS elevation lines are every 40 feet while Mapsource Topo elevation lines are every 164 feet).

Mapsource Topo 24k Nat'l Parks are exact duplicates of the USGS topo maps, so they have the 40 foot elevation lines, but their coverage is limited to Nat'l Parks with some questionable editorial choices (how could Garmin leave out the 1000 Island Lake area along the John Muir Trail?!?).

Edited by SLC Geo Finder

Unfortunately the only real reason to buy Topo is for the topography not the roads. If you are a serious hiker then the topo lines and topographical markers and the most important features. If you aren't and you just want trails and roads maybe there is another product that will work better.

A little Ot, but I have had some issues with my CitySelct software that came with my Garmin V as well....

For instance, the address numbers on my street are reversed up and down the street......on one cache a week ago, I was instructed to ride down a street where there was now...when Itried to recalculate it looped me back onto that same street....found my way out, but it was a pain.....was on vacation last eyar and many of the restaurants, etc listed in the software were no longer there....bulldozed or different businesses altogether....

My question is, does Mapsource EVER bother to update the maps and if so how can we get the updates????

Ididnt buy a GPS so I can gues if the map is right or not....I can do that with paper maps... :o

DZ

I’m still learning how to use it but so far am very disappointed with it. It seems to be very inaccurate maps. My subdivision (built in the mid 80’s) is not on it at all.

I'm curious why anyone would pay a hundred bucks (give or take) for this program before they go to Garmins website and take a look at it first, then decide if they like it or not...I wouldn't buy a car with taking it for a test drive first!

I'm curious why anyone would pay a hundred bucks (give or take) for this program before they go to Garmins website and take a look at it first, then decide if they like it or not...I wouldn't buy a car with taking it for a test drive first!

It's very possible that people don't even realize that the map viewer exists without first poking around Garmin's website. Magellan doesn't even have any type of online map viewer... ^_^ That aside, I feel that even with it's inaccuracies and outdated map data, US Topo is well worth the money. It does however need to be updated...

Here are some helpful links:

Report Mapsource errors here.

Email Garmin cartography at cartography@garmin.com

Mapsource topo update

Mapsource update information. Explains who gets free updates and who doesn't.

Information on the most current versions of mapsource software

On the Garmin cartography page they say, "Please Note: Garmin strives to provide its customers with the most economical, accurate, and up-to-date electronic maps available. However, features are continually changing, so the data may not reflect the latest modifications and/or additions in your area.".

I hope this helps!

Edited by Imajika

Garmin Mapsource 6.1

LOVE IT!

I use this EVERYDAY. I'm not saying that it will put me right where I want to go everytime but it does a pretty good job. I'm a contractor and visit several homes a day. This software has saved me time, gas, and frustration.

Map companies don't put every road, street, lane etc. on a map for the simple reason that if someone copies their maps, which are copyrighted material, they can catch them.

I don't know from topo maps for GPS. I do know that all topos are based on govt. maps so everyone balances out the same.

Hope this helps a little. Maybe, at least, lessen the sting? :o

A little Ot, but I have had some issues with my CitySelct software that came with my Garmin V as well....

For instance, the address numbers on my street are reversed up and down the street......on one cache a week ago, I was instructed to ride down a street where there was now...when Itried to recalculate it looped me back onto that same street....found my way out, but it was a pain.....was on vacation last eyar and many of the restaurants, etc listed in the software were no longer there....bulldozed or different businesses altogether....

My question is, does Mapsource EVER bother to update the maps and if so how can we get the updates????

Ididnt buy a GPS so I can gues if the map is right or not....I can do that with paper maps... :o

DZ

What version is your City Select? The latest version uses NavTech data which is much much better then anything Garmin use to offer. In fact NavTech is the same company that provides maps to all the multi-thousand dollar navigation systems for the high cars.

Here are some helpful links:

Report Mapsource errors here.

Email Garmin cartography at cartography@garmin.com

Mapsource topo update

Mapsource update information. Explains who gets free updates and who doesn't.

Information on the most current versions of mapsource software

On the Garmin cartography page they say, "Please Note: Garmin strives to provide its customers with the most economical, accurate, and up-to-date electronic maps available. However, features are continually changing, so the data may not reflect the latest modifications and/or additions in your area.".

I hope this helps!

I've sent data corrections to Garmin before. They have our entire main street reversed east for west, as far as the businesses that are there. In a town with a population of less than 1000, I doubt they'll get right on it and fix it, though.

I have used Garmin and Magellan software (Topo and Streets) In my area, SF bay area I have found errors on both, It could be a street with the wrong name or in the wrong place. With topo maps, they are Topograhpy maps and the data is not up to date for streets and trails, but they are not ment to be street or trail maps.

Unless there is a major goelogical event the topography does not change. THe again, if there is a major geologic event it would be on the news :blink:

I've sent data corrections to Garmin before. They have our entire main street reversed east for west, as far as the businesses that are there. In a town with a population of less than 1000, I doubt they'll get right on it and fix it, though.

My entore street is reveresed too.....I have to wonder what the mappers are doing when they are getting the info together.....My guess is they have a lot of snack attacks......

shadango

What version is your City Select? The latest version uses NavTech data which is much much better then anything Garmin use to offer. In fact NavTech is the same company that provides maps to all the multi-thousand dollar navigation systems for the high cars.

I was using the version that came with the reciever, version 5....

I did the upgrade to v6 online and the street I live on is STILL reversed...or maybe this just updated the software and not the maps...??

How do I know if the maps have been updated???

What version is your City Select?  The latest version uses NavTech data which is much much better then anything Garmin use to offer.  In fact NavTech is the same company that provides maps to all the multi-thousand dollar navigation systems for the high cars.

I was using the version that came with the reciever, version 5....

I did the upgrade to v6 online and the street I live on is STILL reversed...or maybe this just updated the software and not the maps...??

How do I know if the maps have been updated???

Did you download an update or did you get a new CD to update from? There is a new City Select out that is version 6. I got the notice from Garmin for it yesterday. It has updated maps and services.

Here's a link that has information on what was updated. http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/mapsour...CD=011-00803-05