First To Find

5¢

I got my FTF a few days ago. I thought as I had seen before in my area I had to act quickly well its been 3 days now and no one has visited the cache yet. What draws some caches to have a race to be FTF and others don't. It was getting dark out when I saw this new cache pop up and I figured heck I am close why not try for it. I really figured others would be chasing after it since I have seen some rivalries in the area. I even went back the next day and dropped off a new travel bug since I had forgoten to take it with me in the mad rush to hit the door. What makes a cache desirable that people want to be FTF or is that once someone scores it geocachers figure I will get it when I get it?

depends... do you like racing? i do. i race bicycles, so racing to be FTF comes natural to me. i also like mysteries, so FF races are good because for most of my races, i know the start time and the destination in advance. and i know who the competition is at the start line. those are all surprises in a FTF hunt.

if i can't be first, i like to try to be first there after brenda. you kind of have to be from here to understand that.

i'm not racing to any FF's this week because i have a bicycle race this weekend i'd like to do well in.

not that i don't like geocaches, but i'd really like a big honkin' trophy to put on my file cabinet and a medal to hang over my desk.

because of a knee injury this spring, i have to choose.

of course, there's always the thought that i won't win anyway, but i have to TRY! last year the big surprise was ... wait, i can't tell you what race i won because if you knew that you'd know my name and where i live and then i'd have to have you killed.

anyway, i got really lucky and won an impressive sounding race.

there have been some new caches go up near me and everyone must think i've dropped dead suddenly because i haven't hunted them.

NEXT week i'll be in the race for FFs. that's the fun thing about our area; the regular FF(self-moderated.. THIS time)s sometimes don't go out. sometimes they get up at 0900, sometimes the go out at midnight.

on ne sait jamais.

I will try a FTF if it is not more than 20 miles from home, We have lots of new cachers placing cacher in my area now, got a FTF yesterday-12 miles away and today1.2 miles away. ;) I tried one about 10 days ago at 2AM, there was another cacher already there, we did not find it and I lost my wallet in the bushes. :) I posted a 25 dollar reward and another cacher found my wallet for me :P . To top it all off, the cache was not there, :o the young man that hid the cache told his brother about and his brother took it before it was approved :) .

I got my first taste of being FTF less than a month after finding out about geocaching. I was hooked. If there is no finder on a cache nearby, I'll drop everything to go after it. If someone has found it, I'll still get to it. It may just take a little longer. One thing I try to do when going after a FTF is check for other caches in the area. That way, I log a FTF or two and then get to log caches that might otherwise have slipped under my radar.