[Newbie] Looking for Advice on Purchasing a Unit

kalisti

Hello!

I'm completely new to GPS in general. I've read a number of articles I've found online about the different units, looked at the comparison chart at Offroute, and checked out reviews on epinions and Amazon.

I'm still not sure which unit will best meet my needs, so I'm asking here, even though I'm certain people are probably sick of answering these questions!

I want a unit I can use for Geocaching, but also one that I can use to map local trails in my area and upload those to my computer to make them into real trail maps. This is the most important thing to me, and so I want to make sure I get a unit that can do this--I'm still not entirely sure the difference between waypoints and routes, to tell you the truth!

I would like to spend $200 or less if possible.

Thank you for your advice and patience with me.

quote:
Originally posted by kalisti:

even though I'm certain people are probably sick of answering these questions!

--I'm still not entirely sure the difference between waypoints and routes, to tell you the truth!

First off, sick or not, everyone has to start somewhere! That's what these forums are for, answering the questions of others. There is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb answers.

A waypoint is a single point or location. Specific latitude and longitude that doesn't change or move.

A route is a path from point to point to point.

So, if you have 5 waypoints in your GPS and then connect them with lines, it turns the 5 different/specific points into a route.

I don't want to confuse you, but keep in mind that routes are straight lines between points. Point 1 to point 2 is a straight line, then point 2 to point 3 is a straight line(maybe in a different direction).

If you are mapping trails, you will want the "track" feature turned on. This is like a breadcrumb trail that follows your path of walking or driving. That would show the trail in a more accurate fashion than waypoints and routes.

Gary

quote:
I want a unit I can use for Geocaching, but also one that I can use to map local trails in my area and upload those to my computer to make them into real trail maps.

If you're planning on turning them into trailmaps for your own use, consder the Garmin eTrex Legend along with the Mapsource Topo software. Last I looked the Legend could be found for $169 at Amazon.com. The software will run you another $100 or so.

If you are making serious trailmaps for publication, I agree with the others here that you need a unit with an external antenna. The GPS V, or Map76S are good choices, but cost a lot more than $200. Combine one of these units with National Geographic Topo! software and you'll have some really nice trail maps.

The downside is that the NG Topo! doesn't download to your GPS, so if you still want topo maps on your GPS, you still need to get Mapsource.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I wound up getting an eTrex Legend, and I've been using it for the last week or so pretty steadily.

It works well in open areas, but as soon as I get under any sort of cover the accuracy drops to ~100ft or loses the signal completely. This is in redwood mostly, which isn't particularly dense foliage, but is what most of the trails I'm plotting are under.

So I'm considering an upgrade, but am wondering what sort of a difference I can expect to see with something like the GPS V with an external antenna? Will my accuracy of 100ft go up to 50ft? 30ft? 10ft? Will I retain a signal in most of the areas I'm currently losing it? I understand no one can answer this precisely for my situation; I'm just looking for a general idea how much of an improvement I can expect to see.

Thanks!

Also, I'm curious what options are available if I want a unit with an external antenna.

Someone had mentioned the 76S, but it appears that has an internal antenna? Am I misreading this?

Do other companies make units with external antennas that people would recommend?

Basically, price aside, I'm curious what unit would be best for handheld mapmaking, going under foliage quite frequently.

Thanks again for your patience.

I run a garmin-V and have an external antena for use with the truck. The external antena gives ya better signal strengh and as a result better accuracy. But under the canopy of trees or any obstructions--buildings, canyons, ect. That get in the way of sattalight signal. you are on your own. Just a note; External antenas cost about 100.00 bucks I found one on E-Bay for 20.00 brand new -- so there is some shoping tips for ya.

Hi, Kalisti. Another answer from the UK, I am also fairly new to the sport and spent some time agonising over which unit to purchase. I eventually chose the Garmin Legend which was somewhere between 'basic' and 'all singing all dancing'. I have found it to give excellent service and the only downside is that the screen is really too small to use when for navigation whilst driving but is just right for navigating whilst walking.I got the bundled package which included the Garmin Metro Europe mapping SW which is really orientated towards driving major routes in europe rather that walking trails. I recommend that you invest in a mapping program that will allow you to overlay the trail that you walked over a high resolution map. This should produce an accurate map with a detailed trail superimposed. icon_smile.gif Best Wishes John.

Syhrag va qrpelcg

quote:
Originally posted by Moonbase:

.... Just a note; External antenas cost about 100.00 bucks I found one on E-Bay for 20.00 brand new -- so there is some shoping tips for ya.

I was just going to ask this and you answered most of my question. What external antenna works? Is there a brand or specification? Thanks.

I use the Garmin rino 120. It's also a two way radio. You might not need the radio function but, if you know anyone else with a Motorola talk-about or similar you can communcate with them as well. The 120 already has an external GPS antenna. I hardly ever lose signal except in the most dense leaf coverage and that usually results in less accuracy rather than losing the signal totally. I have downloaded the Topo maps from Garmin and they are very detailed and useful. Also, if you know of another person using the rino 120 you can send your location to them and you show up on their screen as a waypoint, how far away you are, the direction and how to get to them. Pretty cool! Not that it's really necessary to do so when Geocaching but it is useful when hunting. Anyhow.....Good Luck.

BTW: This was an upgrade from the yellow etrex. HUGE difference!

This is no time for fun and games...FIND THE CACHE!!