Who Have You Met?

We hear over and over that geocaching is about the community. Like it or not, the forums are a part of that community. We talk all the time about each other's caches and caching areas. We get to know each other's online persona. However, the real thing doesn't always match the mental image we have of each other.

Have you ever been surprised by someone you've met in person after talking to them online? Which forum regulars have you met? Whom do you intend to meet?*

As for myself, I've met quite a few cachers in my local area, but they don't use the forums. I'll see one of them lurking from time to time, but it's really the out-of-state cachers I'm interested in meeting. I kind of hesitate to mention names here, since I'll probably leave someone out, but here goes.

I've met CarleenP, Bons, Team360, Upinyachit, Brian-Team A.I., Team GeoHoy, Zoltig, and many others from Arizona and New Mexico that don't visit the forums frequently.

In the next few weeks/months, I plan to meet Webfoot, SoCalAdmin, CO_Admin, Targetdrone, Cache Viking, Snoogans, and several more cachers from Colorado and Southern California.

Out of the cachers that I've met, I think the biggest surprise was Upinyachit. He's kind of an *** in the forums :P but in person he's a pretty cool guy.

* I'm not asking who you want to meet, as that could be a very long list. I'm asking who you could actually meet in the next few months.

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

On a complete whim I met Clayjar recently. He looked acted and gestured so much like my Niece who is a similar age that I was dumbfounded. He could have been her fraternal twin.

In the near future I really don't have anyone who I'll be meeting but I still recruit new geocachers and like to introduce people to the hobby. There are a few people who may go on to make a splash in the community because of skills they have that geocaching doesn't know it needs yet.

My caching partner Night Stalker travels for his job. He has the ability to meet one heck of a lot of the cachers that are here in the forums but no time due to long hours on the job. That's too bad because I could live vicariously through him and meet a lot of cool people indirectly.

I've met Keystone Approver, D@nim@l, Nellsnake, and Team Vaxcave.

Other than Keystone, you've probably never heard of any of these cachers, cause they're locals who don't frequent the forums. But Keystone was definately different than I figured he'd be...

I don't really think I'll be meeting anybody else any time soon, because there aren't any events planned for the near future, so anyone I meet would probably be a random occurence that happened on the trail...

Which forum regulars have you met? Whom do you intend to meet?*

I've met CarleenP, Bons, Team360, Upinyachit, Brian-Team A.I., Team GeoHoy, Zoltig, and many others from Arizona and New Mexico that don't visit the forums frequently.

In the next few weeks/months, I plan to meet Webfoot, SoCalAdmin, CO_Admin, Targetdrone, Cache Viking, Snoogans, and several more cachers from Colorado and Southern California.

Boy, do you have a short memory. We've already met, remember?

Some people can't remember when they've seen people or met them in the past. Either that, or I'm very forgetable. :P

I've met mtn-man...ok...stop snickering, he's a nice guy with a lovely wife. He's the only famous cacher I've met.

One day I hope to meet the staff of our magazine, Sept1c_tank, Criminal, CarleenP, Geoworms, Pyewacket, and Doc Dean.

El Diablo

Edited by El Diablo

Well, other than some of the local cachers, I probably won't be meeting anyone in the next few months.

Now, I've met WAY too many cachers to try and list them all by name, so I'll try and just list those who are reasonably well known here in the forums or chat.

Hydee, rothstafari, mtn-man, Leprechaun, Mopar and GeoHo, dboggny, Harrald, Hartclimbs, JMBella, Planet, ClayJar, CCCooper......hmmm....I still have that awful "I'm forgetting someone" feeling....exactly the reason I hate trying to make a list like this.....

besides all the people in AS, mtn-man, KA, and CO_Admin, the 2 people i would like to meet is geo ho and mopar. i admire a woman who packs heat like i do, and the guys who love them. they also like margaritas and so do i.

pyewacket is also a must meet, since we both have the same challenges.

except for my 2 brothers and 1 of their friends, i haven't met anyone.

Edited by uperdooper

Boy, do you have a short memory. We've already met, remember?

Some people can't remember when they've seen people or met them in the past. Either that, or I'm very forgetable. :P

I don't quite consider that meeting, since I had no idea who you were at the time. :P

As far as forum regulars, or semi regulars, I've met

Hartclimbs

Planet

Stayfloopy

Ttepee

Harrald

Dboggny

Mopar

Avroair

Team DEMP

Bassoonpilot

Geo Ho

Perfect Tommy

IV Warrior

Alan2

I have the complete list of geocachers whom I've met in my profile and it's probably approaching 50 or more.

I'd like to meet Jeremy, Hydee, Criminal, Mtn-man, Coyote Red (man we could have some arguments but I think I like him), CarleenP, Lep, Pyewacket, El Diablo and practically everybody else who posts here (except maybe Subigo).

I'd also like to meet Redd Mann, so I could punch his dumb nose down his even dumber throat.

Edited by briansnat
Well, other than some of the local cachers, I probably won't be meeting anyone in the next few months.

Now, I've met WAY too many cachers to try and list them all by name, so I'll try and just list those who are reasonably well known here in the forums or chat.

Hydee, rothstafari, mtn-man, Leprechaun, Mopar and GeoHo, dboggny, Harrald, Hartclimbs, JMBella, Planet, ClayJar, CCCooper......hmmm....I still have that awful "I'm forgetting someone" feeling....exactly the reason I hate trying to make a list like this.....

You've met us. I don't know if that really counts though, cause I don't think we introduced ourselves, and I doubt you probably knew who we were until afterward.

We worked with you on the pond at the Highland Park Cito...

But I don't mind being forgotten, I'm not a very rememberable guy... :P

Something I didn't say is that the one major cacher that I'd like to meet is Mtn-man, he just seems like an awesome guy, and he's definately a good and interesting cacher.

Ummm, maybe me a few times. Like we shared a steak dinner once and spent a frigid afternoon together at an winter event. But maybe I'm the kind of person who goes unnoticed. Sniff, sniff :P

Edited by briansnat

Most of the people I have met don't use the forums. Here are a few I remember off the top of my head (sorry if I forget anyone!)

Team Geohoy

Switchdoc and The Wife

Forklman

Milestogeo

Jeeperz 1 & 2

Bhob

Craftsman

SSMT

Team Chizbop

Indygo

Idano

Mountain Lady

Team Ghostrider

Tahosa (and sons...and Pugsly the Pug)

CO Admin

Viper394

Team Mindawg

HikerRon

hmmm....I still have that awful "I'm forgetting someone" feeling....exactly the reason I hate trying to make a list like this.....

Ummm, maybe me a few times. Like we shared a steak dinner once and spent a frigid afternoon together at an winter event. But maybe I'm the kind of person who goes unnoticed. Sniff, sniff :P

SEE! I _KNEW_ if I posted that, I'd offend SOMEONE by not thinking of them as I was typing. Sorry........ :P

pyewacket is also a must meet, since we both have the same challenges.

Uper, I'd love to go caching with you. Wouldn't that be a sight to see? :P

Anyone else want to join the gimp squad? :P

There are too many other cachers to list that I'd like to meet. They know who they are, I think. :)

I would like to meet Cybret he caches in my area.

Meeting CYBret is overrated.

Just ask BruceS, Sept1k_tank, BronzBak, CCCooper, MtnMan, Keystone Approver, Mastifflover, CarleenP, ClayJar, JoGPS and a whole bunch of other people who have been underwhelmed to meet me.

Stick around, though...I'm sure you'll see for yourself sooner or later. :P

Some day I'd like to meet BrianSnat, Planet, CurmudgeonlyGal, dboggny, Harrald, Mo & Ho, and...well...I'd be glad to bore the socks off just about ANYONE!

Bret

Wow what a question. Who would I like to meet? Dare I try and list them for fear of missing some but here it goes.

The AS crowd, Mtn-man, Jeremy, Mopar & Geo Ho, Tahosa, CO Admin, Keystone, CyBret, Harrald, Planet, Sept1c_tank, CarleenP, Pyewacket, IV Warrior, Clearpath, briansnat, Snoogans ...

And now I will hear from those I missed. Sorry :P

I actually can't think of anyone I wouldn't want to meet, really. The site maestros would be cool of course, but unlikely as they are on the evil coast.

I think (and hope) that most forum geocachers are different in person. I'd like to think I am.

But if I could meet anyone? JMBella, Sparky, Saxman (bring the sax, I got the guitar), El Diablo, sept1c, Criminal, RK...

We're all so different people that I think it might be hard to socialize, but hey... You never know.

I was in Italy and France last month and twice I ran into fellow cahers. I have been caching here at home since May and never met anyone, but I travel 6k miles and run into cachers twice. I was on my own a day in Venice and went caching. I met Semicirculatus from Budapest. We had a small language barrier but had fun finding the cache together. Then in Paris I ran into Jessex from London. They were wonderful folks and, unfortunately, I gave them a bum steer about the cache we were after. Seems there is a non-geocache in the same locale and we thought we had found the real thing :P I hope they forgive me.

I hope to meet some of the locals here at a N.U.T.S event someday. I love caching and I love to talk about it.

2GeoGrannies

I've met several....most don't post in the forums though. Have met Geo TrailBlazer1, GentleWhisper, Pipanella (known her for years even before we both started geocaching). I have only come across one other geocacher while geocaching and he doesn't even show up as a member of this site.

I think I would like to meet Jeremy. I don't know why, really, I guess just to say that I have....lol

Also would like to meet RK, Snoogans, Briansnat, Sparky, CyBret, mtn-man, Glenn, Team 360, Team GPSaxophone, El Diablo and Bons (just to show him I'm really not as mean as he thinks I am...lol)

hmmm....I still have that awful "I'm forgetting someone" feeling....exactly the reason I hate trying to make a list like this.....

Ummm, maybe me a few times. Like we shared a steak dinner once and spent a frigid afternoon together at an winter event. But maybe I'm the kind of person who goes unnoticed. Sniff, sniff :o

SEE! I _KNEW_ if I posted that, I'd offend SOMEONE by not thinking of them as I was typing. Sorry........ :)

No offense taken. I don't think I've ever been offended in my life...execpt maybe when my JV baseball coach sent my backup up to the varsity when their coach needed another player....

Forum regs (including the NE forum) that I've met in alphabetical order, (at least I think I've met them at one point or another):

Alan2

Avroair

BrianSnat

CT Trampers

dboggny

Geo Ho

Harrold

HartClimbs

IV Warrior

Kber

Macatac

Mopar

Planet

Skully and Mulder Et Al.

Squealy

Team DEMP

Hmm.... This is tougher than I thought. There's a bunch more but I don't know where to draw the line on forum Regular, semi regular and occasional. I could keep going: Stayfloopy, fosterbass, Quoddy, M&M, Natureboy44, the Z-Man... Then there are those that hardly ever visit the forums, Cat-in-the-Hat, Bayonets4u, WRR, Cz.. that list would be the longest so I'll stop there.

I will be traveling to PA a couple of time this summer and maybe I'll have the pleasure of meeting Keystone. My wife and I will be heading to New England this summer too so New England n00b obviously comes to mind, WaldenRun, ju66l3r, Pantalaimon. And if I ever travel west I wouldn't mind meeting Saxman, Criminal, Jeremy, Stunod, RK, Sparky, Pyewacket, Carleen, CO Admin, MTN-MAN, El D.... Hold crap that's a lot of people I need to meet, better start traveling. One person it looks like I'll be meeting this summer is Hydee. She's coming to my neck of the woods a couple of time this year. Maybe I should crash her wedding. Even better I'll find out where it is and post the coords. :o

OK, in just the past WEEK I met up with the following geocachers during my geo-vacation in Seattle:

1. My hosts, Team Misguided, and caching compatriot, carleenp.

2. I DNF'd one of TravisL's caches in his presence, just as a tribute.

3. Those along on an epic three-cache, 11 mile hike in Snoqualmie National Forest: Jeremy, Rothstafari, Criminal and TroubleChild, Moun10Bike, Shunra, Right Wing Wacko, Og's Outfit, Marcus Arelius, Leatherman and TotemLake. While I was doing that, Little Leprechaun got to spend a day at the zoo with Hydee.

4. Met up with Mr. & Mrs. Gigabyte for a memorable day of caching on Whidbey Island.

5. Had a relaxing afternoon meeting CurmudgeonlyGal and her kids (well, relaxing except for DNF'ing the same cache twice).

6. Met the *entire* Groundspeak gang for dinner at the bait shop, errr, sushi restaurant.

That is a hard week to top!

Next on my wishlist would be to head up to New England and New Jersey, where I have not yet gone geocaching or met any of the local cachers (except when they've traveled to PA).

More and more, geocaching is becoming all about the people I meet up with, as opposed to the ammo boxes and film canisters that I find.

Have you ever been surprised by someone you've met in person after talking to them online? Which forum regulars have you met? Whom do you intend to meet?*

Saxman,

I'm going to try to post a Santa Fe event for 8/1. Same place as last time...... I found a Smurf TB that you need to take off my hands.

As for being surprised....... People seem to be amazed that I don't have two heads or sumthin' when they meet me for the first time. Maybe I should tone down my profile? Hmmmmmmm? Naaaaaaaaa! :o

SNOOGAV.jpg

I'm asking who you could actually meet in the next few months.[/color]

I'm proud to call all the cachers I have met, at 19 events, in three states, my friends. I still have never met a geocacher that I didn't like.

Names that anyone would/might recognize here in THESE forums: 9Key, Terra Trekkers, Lowracer, Mudfrog, Cherokee Cacher, GeoVamp, Mustard Devil, Break Track, Spaceman Spiff, Geek-Qualizer, Moosie Girl, Grajek, Team Flying Dachshund, Sturgeon General and a host of others. Most Texas Cachers use our local site or yahoo groups. I can match a face to better than 50% of the regular posters there.

On the West Coast I recently met Ranboze. :o

In the coming months there is only ONE geocacher that I reeeeeeeeally want to meet. She KNOWS who she is and that's all that matters. :)

There's only ONE geocacher that I'm NOT impressed with that I would kinda like to meet. I bet that I could still find something to like about the jerk, although If I didn't, someone would probably have to peel me off of him. ;)

SNOOGAV.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

I started similar topic in the Nordic Countries forum some time ago. I might as well put my latest update of the list of geocachers I've met here:

atrivsolap, BalkanSabranje (A), baumrinde (A), CallaMedici (A), Captain Morgan, Chauffi, cthulhu0, Cupid, eltsu, epeli, Erwast, ExTechOp (OT), gemmatic, HannuEtAnja, Harjus, Hessut, hippihiiri, jap5, Jeo & Kirsi, jhgrc, Jonski, Jouko (OT), Juha_ (OT), Jyrki&Sari, kettu, kliemann (A), Liimes, linilois0 (A), Martti (OT), Matti (OT), Mavesatu (OT), Mikkozzz, Mover, mtlbiker, Mumin & Snorkfröken (SWE), ncfinn (USA), NöpöJaHassu, Orava, p&k+a, PekkaR (OT), Planelover, Samooja, solarflare, Stargher, sTeamTraen (FR), Stu & Sarah (UK), Takua & Macku (OT), Team Hapenottokerho, Team Pitkis, TeamLP, theplank (A), tomundbiggi (A), VesaK, vikunja (OT), virtato.

OT = met first On Trail

Total: 55 (9 OT)

I met a French and a bunch of Austrian cachers during my recent trip to the Central Europe. Everyone without a country code on the list are cachers living in Finland. Most but not all of them have written in forum, but only a few can be called forum regulars or semi-regulars.

It would be nice to meet some of the forum regulars too, like El Diablo, sept1c_tank, canadazuuk, hedberg, JamieZ, Cholo, briansnat, Metaphor, Dinoprophet, Doc-Dean, astheravenflies, Breaktrack and as well some people who don't write to forums too often, but with whom I've have other kind of business or correspondence, like Jug & Roon. And, of course, I left many names unmentioned, since it would take the whole afternoon to come up with all the names I'd really like to meet.

To my experience it's been fun to meet any geocacher so far, they are nice people. I especially like to meet them on trail, since that way we're both doing our hobby, and there's been weird situations, when we both have tried to act discreetly and hide from each other what we're really doing before realizing that we're doing exactly the same thing. :o Looking forward to meet more people.

I'd be happy to meet any of the people that I've met in the forums - especially all the silly ones. ;)

The forum users that I have met recently are Lucy&Rickie, MarcusAurelius(did I spell that right?), and TotemLake, when they all headed over here to do the whitewater river rafting caching trip. That was so cool to meet all of them, and they were the nicest people you would ever want to take down a river and cache with. :o I wasn't too suprised by the way they looked, cause I peeked at their profile before we met. :)

Well that's the last time you're invited to any of my bonfires! :o

J/K

See here's just one more reason to agree on the when/where of Geowoodstock3. Although I have to admit that the caching part of the event was a blast, and the extra-curricular caching in Nashville was even better, the best part of the event was getting the chance to meet and talk to all of the great cachers there. :)

Just a quick abbreviated list-and I'm sure I'll leave someone out-mtn-man, Lep/Keystone Good and Bad, mastifflover, dave w/outID, clayjar, cybret (you weren't that boring), mustard devil, carleeP (even cuter in person :o ), CCCooper, SBUX, serenitynow, robertlipe, monkeybrad, jogps, heck the whole nashville crew that hosted us. My new freinds from JAX: federation and ICman.

Who do I want to meet on the trail? Well like it's already been posted-I haven't met a cacher I didn't like but judging from forum/log personalities: criminal, flask, snoogans, and oregone. Also I hope I can meet some of the NJ hardcore crew the next time I'm around to visit my family-kitegirl, teamekitt10, mopar(still in NJ? ;) ), briansnat and all the others I can't remember right now.

So show up at GW3 so we can meet.

Isn't this kind of like the Academy awards where you're afraid to miss somebody because they have had some positive influence over how you play the sport?

I've had the pleasure of meeting up with alot of the local (relatively speaking) and not so local geocachers over the past 15 months. From the generous Weinerdogs whom repaired my MeriPlat, to well known folks such as EvergreenHiker, Criminal and Moun10Bike along with local approvers WanderLost and Team It's All Good, and the venerable Jeremy. Notable guests to our wonderful Evergreen State such as Sept1c_Tank, The Leprechauns, Carleenp, and Rothstafari. Generous hosts at events such as the latest whitewater rafting event All41 and Ambrosia, along with Patudles and Ccmin. Current and past WSGA organizers, RightWingWacko, CachinCin, Seth! and many others including some of the above whom find themselves intertwined in all aspects of this sport. Hikemeisters (of which my view is usually from behind) and organizers all of them. Travisl for his infamous cache machines. The opportunity to meet geocachers at these events is nothing less than astounding and way too numerous to list here. Clayjar for his very unique traveling cache and hosting of the IIRC chat room where we can alll meet up over the net as an alternative to these forums. Runhills for being the first finder on my first hidden cache and assuring me I did everything right. Pepper of Team Supergenius for always being there and cheering me on. The awesome folks I've had the pleasure of hiking with including the above folks, LucyandRickie, Leatherman, Stump (formerly gaviidae), Og's Outfit, BillP3rd, Hazard, The Jester, MarcusAurelius, UWDawg, Shunra and a few more I know I've missed.

There are many more I've had the pleasure of meeting up with and I'm sorry for not listing you here, because you are not the least of these people! It's more because of this fuzzy brain of mine.

CurmudgeonlyGal, yer next on my list to meet. :o

With the warmest memories of the past few months, and looking forward to the future years caching with you, I give you my best regards. -TotemLake

Edited by TotemLake

I'd like to take both Snoogans and 9key out to the Eagle Peak shootin' range sometime. (Snoogans because I know he'd definitely enjoy it and 9key because he needs to see that shooting can be a real blast, even if you're affiliated with the Green party, and especially if you're going to be calling Texas home for any length of time, dude. ;-) Cough down a big greasy burger and fries, and maybe an ice-cold IBC root beer or two at Bubba's Ice House afterwards. Talk about caching, maybe go out and bag a few of the more creative hides down here in Austin, maybe conspire to plant a really devious hide (under a sock-puppet account) involving abandoned bomb shelters, ancient undecipherable scripts, stuffed ravens, and glow-in-the-dark eyes. You know, the kind of cache that won't have an FTF posted for a month, and most probably longer. And I'd be sure to introduce Snoogans to my sister-in-law.

Seems like many of the folks I meet who I'd like to get to know better I meet at events where there are fifty people, sixteen different things going on all at once, and you can't really get to talk to anyone for very long.

And finally I'd like to meet Jeremy. I wish he'd hire a programmer to maintain the site and take some time off to tour the country, maybe do a fifty-city caching tour or something. Stop on down to Austin dude, I'll get the Austin cachers to chip in, buy you an ice cold I.B.C or a Shiner Bock at the Boat House Grill. There's a clever micro cache there too. You'd dig it.

Just ask BruceS, Sept1k_tank, BronzBak, CCCooper, MtnMan, Keystone Approver, Mastifflover, CarleenP, ClayJar, JoGPS and a whole bunch of other people who have been underwhelmed to meet me.

I'll attest to this..........However, he really likes ice cream and that keeps me AND my banker happy. :o

Scoob

I'll attest to this..........However, he really likes ice cream and that keeps me AND my banker happy. :o

Scoob

Well, I haven't met you, but I did get one of your Scoobie Snacks out of a cache in Houston.

SNOOGAV.jpg

I've met two cachers of the trail, both on the same day and going to the same cache, no less (we were all trying to be FTF). The first was Olystats02, but I didn't know it was him at the time. Farther up the trail I met Scout Master (a local geocacher who is recognized by every cacher in the area due to his "...green fedora and neckerchief. Olive drab army surplus dungarees. A hearty laugh and a big smile thru a luxurious forest of red and gray.") Neither spends much time posting here, though they are regulars on the UTAG forums.

I'm lucky enough to have Mtn-man caching in my area, and leading the Georgia Geocachers Association, so I get to meet him regularly. He's a very nice guy that ALWAYS seems to be smiling. Unfortunately he's always busy as hell at these GGA meetings so I can't really spend time to talk to him as much as I'd like.

There are lots of non forum regulars at the GGA meetins too that are great people and a pleasure to meet.

The only other famous cacher I met was Clayjar.

I'd like to meet Jeremy and shake his hand.

Since I started Geocaching in October 2003 -- probably tagging me as a n00b in the oldtimers' eyes -- I've been to several Arizona events and met most of the local bigwigs.

As far as the others, I'd like to meet Snoogans simply cause his logs crack me up -- ditto that for Criminal.

For Forum regulars, I've met Clayjar, Right Wing Wacko, Mount10Bike, Pepper, Mr. Gigabyte, and some of the other Spokane folks from the Cache machine we did there. As well as King Boreas while in Minnesota, Hazzmat and Carivercpl in California, and I hope to run into someone while in Chicago in a few weeks. I know most of the cachers around Missoula and the main forum regular from here is Yumitori- he who caches in kilts. (And he does!)

Looking forward to meeting more folks as I start traveling more this fall!

-Jennifer

I have run into only 2 people on the trails. The first has never been to the forums. The other was AJK while looking for one of a series of one-time caches in the New England area.

I attended my first event not a month ago. After trying to make quite a few badly timed (for me) events around the area, I was able to steal some time from work to run out to pick up some YJTBs at a Wing/Beer night near Boston. There I met the renowned New England "no-gps"er, WaldenRun...and our now locally famous BluEyez and Bugsy (who were the hosts to a camera crew for the PBS show Greater Boston on WGBH). I also ran into WH on his way out the door. All are active in the NewEngland Forum.

I'd be willing to see if while JMBella are around Boston, we couldn't search a cache. I've gone out with friends (who aren't really into geocaching) and family (dad geocaches, but doesn't use the forum) before, but usually I cache on my own. The serenity most places is nice.

I'll attest to this..........However, he really likes ice cream and that keeps me AND my banker happy. B)

Scoob

Yeah..it doesn't help that you leave those "Scoobie Snack" DQ coins in all those caches...you get the first one free and then BAM...you gotta pay for the rest!!!!

It's a good thing you never opened a crackhouse!!!!! ^_^

Bret

P.S. Oh yeah..I've..umm...met Scoobie....too. :P