Any Advice About Okc Caching

Worf's Pack

Going to be in OKC next week for three weeks starting next week. No Wife Kids House Pets etc. might be able to get some caching done. In the Northeast ticks are a major problem. Gps signal lost to forests and lots of hills. 80% of caches here are in stone walls or under rotting logs. Don't recall a lot of those out there. I know it's going to be a lot hotter than I'm used to. But any advice, common sense stuff I might over look while I'm out there that would be helpful. Thanks

Going to be in OKC next week for three weeks starting next week. No Wife Kids House Pets etc. might be able to get some caching done. In the Northeast ticks are a major problem. Gps signal lost to forests and lots of hills. 80% of caches here are in stone walls or under rotting logs. Don't recall a lot of those out there. I know it's going to be a lot hotter than I'm used to. But any advice, common sense stuff I might over look while I'm out there that would be helpful. Thanks

As someone who is not native to OKC (I'm from northern MN) but has cached there a LOT (a few hundred Oklahoma finds), I can probably help...

The area is generally filled with some very good quality caches. The cachers there are top-notch. Thus the caches that you find are as well. There are a lot of micro caches (URBAN micro caches) that can get pretty tricky to find at times but are usually good for not getting too dirty. A good full-day loop is probably around Lake Hefner on the NW side - there are a lot of caches around it.

Ticks are a very big problem down there. I'm told they go somewhat dormant in the later months due to the hot weather but I haven't really experienced that...

They are also big on puzzle caches down there - you may want to look at some of the caches marked "other/mystery" and figure out the puzzle coordinates before you go - many if not most can be figured out before you go (some will require internet access or a good library and a fair amount of time).

Enjoy - I sure have!

- Pear Head

Well, I do live near OKC, actually about 60 miles SW, but do a lot of caching up in the city. Since you're going to be here for a few weeks, I'm going to make a few suggestions for places to go outside OKC, but still will provide multiple caches to find. I personnally enjoy caches in a non-urban environment. Here are a few examples: GCGBCZ near Lake Thunderbird, GCJDFA also near Lake Thunderbird, GCHPPY is a cache in a large park in Norman, GCHJBY is a cache near Lake Hefner in NW OKC, GCG28A is one of several caches located in Red Rock Canyon which is west of OKC. All of these caches are in areas, where you can do a little walking to reach the cache. These are only specific caches in each area for you to do a near cache search with. Another interesting area is SW of OKC about 80 miles. It's the Wichita Mountains. Since it is a NWR, no physical caches are allowed, but there are many virtuals and the trip is worth it just to see the wildlife and what passes for mountains in SW Oklahoma. Enjoy your time here. By the way, a cold front is coming in this weekend, and temps next week in OKC are suppose to stay in the 80s. This is very abnormal, with normal temps close to the century mark.

Just "DEET" up for th' bitey-critters & watch out for poison Ivy...

If you DO get down around Lawton, be sure to check out Medicine Park, 15 or so Miles North from Lawton.

I used to live there & it's really cool.

10 mi West of Lawton, you can find some Cache caches :D

This is the 2nd time for me to live in OKC & I have yet to be unduly bothered by ticks.

Good Lock & Welcome to OKC

:PB)^_^

I was planning on going down to the Lawton area. I'll do some reseach on Red Rock.

During the weeks I was planning on the city. But weekends I want to do road trips. I have an zire pda I got for buying tires. I'm trying to go paperless. Thanks for the info

OKC has an active caching community and they have a monthly meeting. Look at the calendar on the main page. It's usually in the morning of the second Saturday of the month at a restaurant on the NW side. After the meeting, groups will go out power caching together.

The Blunn Creek park caches (north of lake hefner in OKC) make a nice afternoon. Watch out for DarkMoon caches. He has interesting ideas about hiding caches and he takes great pride in being diabolical. If you have a Zire, I would definitely suggest you use it to store the cache descriptions or else take printouts with you. You can't get by in OKC on coordinates alone. I use CacheMate (worth the $7). Plucker is a free alternate although it's harder to use.

Red Rock is a beautiful place if you like non-urban caches. I would suggest an afternoon there to get those. As evening sets in and the sun is on the horizon, go west and hit "Rock Mary" and "View From Above". View From Above is mine, but you won't regret it. Watching the sun set from "above" is quite nice. Take your good hiking shoes and an extra bottle of water.

In the Lawton area, I'd suggest sticking to the wildlife refuge and those areas out of town. It's a personal thing, but I did not enjoy the Lawton (in town) caches. Climbing to the top of a mountain is more my style. You can probably enjoy yourself hitting the virtuals in the NWR and getting those along I-44 toward Lawton.

Ticks are definitely a problem and still are as of a few weeks ago when I went on my last cache hunt. Get some DEET repellent and apply it liberally. Poison ivy is prevelant also. Learn what it looks like, how to avoid it and how to treat it.

Have fun

If you get this before leaving you might check out Tulsa on one of your weekends. A lot of people enjoy caching there way along Route 66 all the way to Tulsa. Plenty of good caches in this area as well. The monthly cache meeting for Tulsa is on the 7th feel free to stop by. You'll have no shortage of caches to find from Lawton all the way to Miami, OK along I-44.