What If There Were No Forums,

JMBella

I'm curious, it seems that quite a few of us are effected one way or another by these forums. I wonder if there were never a GS forum if anyone would play the game differently. Would we be better off, worse off or would there be little difference? How many of us are influenced by people in these forums? When I'm at an event it seems like the great majority of players very rarely or never come in here and they seem to have just as much fun as I do. They find caches with no problem and they hide great caches as well. I guess to some these forums are invaluable, but are they? Maybe if I never discovered them I would still be hiding ammo cans in plastic bags. Maybe I wouldn't have wanted to meet certain people. Maybe I have a negative opinion of someone that I wouldn't have if not for these forums. If anything it seems like some people actually let these forums detract from their enjoyment of geocaching. How do you think the forums effect the way you play the game, if at all? And should they? And finally, is this topic really dumb or is it just me? Wait, don't answer that. :P

I probably wouldn't care about finding caches out of state. It's much more fun to go find a cache you've read about in the forums. Even better if it's owned by someone you know.

Good point. I remember when I found my first Snat cache. Somehow it felt like a big deal. Not that it wasn't it's just that I probably would even have noticed who's cache it was if not for the forums.

I've made a bunch of friends this way. There are quite a few people in these forums that I'd like to meet and cache with someday. (and a few that I'd like to sneak up from behind and smack with a lead pipe)

Edited by Stunod

I don't think it would affect me that much.

Except that I've had a few things happen to me, what with caches not being approved, etc. that I used to get kinda worked up about. I would think about posting it on the threads, and never did. Now I am glad that I didn't.

But reading the forums and getting to know some of the other people and the things they go through have put new perspective on things, and made me a lot more pragmatic about everything. It's helped me to realize that some of the things that I got worked up over are probably not that big of a deal. Plus, the approvers have become real people to me. :P

The game would still be played, with or without the forums. Would it still be the same? Maybe, but it would have taken more time to evolve. There are basically two Geocaching communities, the community as a whole, and the community in the forums.

The forum community tends to be very vocal and hashes out ideas. It gives the community as a whole a perspective of caching around the world, not just in their little part of the world. The Geocaching community tends to keep an eye on us to gather ideas. I think, or at least I hope they ignore all the petty stuff that goes on in here.

To sum it up, I think the forums play a very important role in caching. I also think those of us that tend to be so vocal and opinonated keep in mind that we can and do influence caching in a sense.

El Diablo

I don't know if the basics of geocaching would be different, but I think the forums have helped when organizing group hunts and events, which I really like. I've met a lot of great folks because of the events and group hunts which has added immensely to the enjoyment of geocaching.

And I'm with Stunod on hitting a couple of folks across the head with a lead pipe! :P

I'd say El Diablo stole my idea but he said it better than I would have so a big thumbs up and a hearty "What he said".

Personally though, it wouldn't actually change how I cache. Caching the hobby is different from caching the forums. I cache with friends and family and started to attend event caches once I realized that geocahers in general were nice people and not rabid animals to be avoided at all costs. The Idahogeocachers forum would fill in the gaps.

Caching itself for me would probably not be affected. Desires to go to events or distant caches with or to meet other cachers would be greatly effected. I have enjoyed meeting and getting to know people on the forums and look forward to meeting many in person one day. This would not be the case without the forums.

Yes it would definitely affect the sport for me. Clearly more than a fifth of my finds now are with people I met on the forums. That isn't much when you consider my stats, but all the same, I wouldn't be at this level now if it wasn't for the events that come up from choosing to greet out-of-towners or gather up with the locals on a shared interest of a unique sport.

I used to hike quite a bit when I was a kid and gave it up when I joined the service. I've always wanted to pick it back up again, but never had the incentive until I discovered this sport over a year ago. Since then, for me, it's been more about meeting people and making new friends and enjoying a good time towards a shared goal no matter if it's cruising down some river rapids, hiking a mettle testing trail, or doing a quick park and snatch, or participating in a cache machine. You just can't duplicate this with any other sport.

I have yet to fail to have a good time.

I have not found a cache hidden by someone I have met (yet!)

but I HAVE learned a great deal here on these forums -

and I try to give back when I can here also.

I think the new people (of which I include myself) would be lost if we could net get some advice here and there when we need it.

So while there is, indeed, a lot of complaining and flaming, etc. where would we be without it - you were all newbees once?

my $4.50

I think the local regional forums are a much more enjoyable area of the forums. The topics are typically more relevant, contains MUCH less BS and trolling, and the overall sense of community is much greater.

Other then new folks looking for help or having issues, the main forums are filled with BS, trolls, and likely the source of many users frustrations with the forums in general.

I probably wouldn't have met quite a few of the nice people I've met, or traveled hundreds of miles for geocaching events, if not for the forums........

I can vouch for that! I still feel all warm and fuzzy that you traveled 228 miles to attend my event. And on top of that you subjected yourself to west bound traffic on a Sunday evening!

I agree with DEMP about the regional forums too. Never seems to be very much BS going on there.

I was caching with a buddy for a year before I joined. I was signed on for about a year before I even looked at the forums.

The forum lets me share stories, experiences, jokes etc. about caching or other topics and makes the activity even more enjoyable.

Honestly, if there were no forums - I wouldn't be geocaching at all. I'd be out hiking instead.

That I can do both is pretty cool, but without the ability to ask questions (as a fresh n00b), I'd never have gotten past the frustration of trying to figure out map datums, waypoints, etc. Not unless the gc.com faq REALLY was explicit...

So, while sometimes I hate the way teh forums operate, I never would have gotten started without them.

At the moment, I'm more on the hate side of teh love/hate relationship. We'll see what happens, I guess.

No effect on me...I was geocaching for quite a bit before I started posting in the forums. I could always go back to that. But I like getting information and learning in the forums. I wouldn't do away with them, but I wish they were more productive sometimes.

Would it change the way I cache now if there were no forums? Hmmm... probably not much, if at all.

Would it have changed the way I cached in the past? Yes, totally. As with so many noobs, I spent a lot of time in the forums, lurking and learning. When I had a question, basic as it now seems, I posted it, and someone always answered it politely and paitiently (as they had doubtless done 100 times before).

The forums can be an invaluable tool, especially for those starting out. It's the perfect place to learn and ask questions. As a number of people have already said, it's also a great place to meet other 'cachers. Even though I have never met any of them, there are a number of regular posters in here that I would like to count as my friends.

Abused as they may be by a vocal minority at times, they are an integral part of the geocaching experience for many! I would have to say that they are needed!

I gotta say I am not much one for posting, however I do like reading the forums, I find other peoples opinions interesting and some times educational. I enjoy the stories, some are very amusing. And by jibbity I won a free book the other day from an individual holding a contest here (thanks Milbank), so keep on keeping on and I will continue to enjoy the forums. :o

Edited by akraut4u

I wouldn't have been able to co-organize a great geocaching trip this weekend. On the same note, I wouldn't have been able to go along with a bunch of folks on a most excellent adventure last weekend either. So I guess my answer would be "It would suck."

stayfloopy

I don't think not having the forums would change anything for me. But then again, I'm not in the forums as much as some of you. :)

huh?... :o

Anyways...I think it is a matter of what you get out of it...if you enjoy the forums as a lot of people do....then yes, it would "suck" as Jeremy stated to not have them...one of the things that drew me to this sport was the attitude of this group (Geocachers) as a whole...practically everyone I had met (on-line) was helpful to beginners without the "I'm not a newb so I am better than you" attitude (Note: I said Practically everyone).

If forums aren't what drew you to the sport...and you really don't get anything out of them...then no, things probably wouldn't change much for you...maybe some things wouldn't get discussed as they should...or ideas brought up...but you would still play the game as you always had (for the most part most likely...)

Geocaching, to many of us, is a community recreation...we enjoy talking to people who are so different, yet share a lot of the same passion for a hobby as we do...and what better place than the forums to share our stories and ideas and lives...(and yes...our abject silliness also)

-Six

Edited by SixTen
stayfloopy

I don't think not having the forums would change anything for me. But then again, I'm not in the forums as much as some of you. ;)

huh?... :o

Well, I had already been geocaching for months before I even got to the forums. So if these never existed, I probably would have just continued the way I was.

Also, it appears that I don't qualify as a forum regular in that other thread. :)

he topics are typically more relevant, contains MUCH less BS

The main forums are filled with BS

Hmmmm, should I be offended? :o

It's natural that the local forums are a much more pleasant place. You're a lot less likely to flame someone you might meet on the trail, or at an event.

As far as the original questions, I think the forums add to my enjoyment of the sport. I've met some great people through the forums and we've had a good time together. I recently spent an afternoon geocaching with OhJoy! from Washington and we had an enjoyable day along with Frantic Cacher. That probably wouldn't have ocurred without these forums.

Edited by briansnat
As far as the original questions, I think the forums add to my enjoyment of the sport. I've met some great people through the forums and we've had a good time together. I recently spent an afternoon geocaching with OhJoy! from Washington and we had an enjoyable day along with Frantic Cacher. That probably wouldn't have ocurred without these forums.

Which if I recall properly was based on postings in the regional North East forum.

I recently spent an afternoon geocaching with OhJoy! from Washington and we had an enjoyable day along with Frantic Cacher. That probably wouldn't have ocurred without these forums.

Not to mention the Hudson Highlands Jaunt that was organized through the forums. That's up there with some of my favorite memories from geocaching.

I geocache without the forums now. Whenever I have the time to go geocaching, it has absolutely nothing to do with the forums. I keep a small notebook full of notes for the geocaches I plan on doing, how to drive there, etc. There isn't a single thing from the forums in there. The forums are the area of the website I use to discuss aspects of geocaching and advocate for the changes to how the game is custodied that I think will allow myself and others to geocache the way they want.

The regional forums stay cleaner for the most part because that is not the place to discuss the more far-reaching topics that tend to ruffle more feathers and opinions on topics such as "what's the best cache here?" or "why aren't there more caches in VT?" are far less 'entrench-able' than "virtual guidelines need to change" or "pirate caching is justifiable".

If there were no forums, I think the game would suffer without a sufficient alternative for working out variations and ingenuity that may cause disruption when poorly planned. Personally, though, I would still geocache the same way I do now.

stayfloopy

I don't think not having the forums would change anything for me. But then again, I'm not in the forums as much as some of you. ;)

huh?... :)

Stayfloopy is probably refering to the fact that he caches more than he posts (his post/find ratio is < 1). :o Heck, he doesn't even have an avatar!

--Marky

stayfloopy

huh?... :)

Stayfloopy is probably refering to the fact that he caches more than he posts (his post/find ratio is < 1). :o Heck, he doesn't even have an avatar!

--Marky

Or possibly the fact that he has 800 some posts in 4 years, where some have thousands in under a year.

I geocache without the forums now. Whenever I have the time to go geocaching, it has absolutely nothing to do with the forums. I keep a small notebook full of notes for the geocaches I plan on doing, how to drive there, etc. There isn't a single thing from the forums in there. The forums are the area of the website I use to discuss aspects of geocaching and advocate for the changes to how the game is custodied that I think will allow myself and others to geocache the way they want.

You just contradicted yourself! :o

I geocache without the forums now.  Whenever I have the time to go geocaching, it has absolutely nothing to do with the forums.  I keep a small notebook full of notes for the geocaches I plan on doing, how to drive there, etc.  There isn't a single thing from the forums in there.  The forums are the area of the website I use to discuss aspects of geocaching and advocate for the changes to how the game is custodied that I think will allow myself and others to geocache the way they want.

You just contradicted yourself! :o

Um, you'll have to be more explicit on where you think the contradiction is.

I geocache without the forums now. If the forums disappeared, I would still geocache the way I do now. The way I geocache now is not the way I would like to geocache in the future. I use the forums because they are here to advocate for those changes, hash out new ideas, as well as discussion of other topics. Without the forums, I would likely use more e-mail.

There's no contradiction there.

I vote we close all the forums for 1 month just as an experiment!!

BTW, I will be offering a special withdrawal clinic in my office, please call for your appointment now.

Didn't we try that back in November? :)

Yes, but now I am ready to handle a mass casulty event! :o

I would get a lot more work done. :o It wouldn't change how often I go geocaching but it has affected the learning curve. Ideas such as paperless caching, and some clever hiding techniques have been revealed to me through the forums.

So I guess the answer is yes. I think ED hit the nail when he said it has affected the evolution of geocaching.

I geocache without the forums now. If the forums disappeared, I would still geocache the way I do now. The way I geocache now is not the way I would like to geocache in the future. I use the forums because they are here to advocate for those changes, hash out new ideas, as well as discussion of other topics. Without the forums, I would likely use more e-mail.

As long as you meet the guidelines for hiding a cache, you are pretty much free to do whatever you want in any other aspect of geocaching, with or without the rest of the site or the forums. So really any crusading for new changes or the hashing out of new ideas is a waste of time because GC.com is a listing only site. They don't make the rules....we just abide by whatever is stated on the website. The members of long ago decided the rules and there are no changing them now, no matter what problems or situations have arisen since then. :o