Opinion on virtuals I'm considering.

Mr. 0

There are several places of historical value in and around my hometown. I would like to set up virtuals, mainly for the reason that I wouldn't want to place a container at these places (there are a couple where a traditional cache would work, but w/o disclosing anything about the areas, I just wouldn't feel comfortable putting one there...no danger or anything, just something I personally wouldn't feel right about.). Now my question is should I log them as separate virtuals or a multi-virtual? There are 6-7 places that I would be using as virtuals, and there would be probably 5-10 miles of driving total, round trip. The reason I straddle the fence on this, and decided to ask everyone, is because I can see that it would be a nice "historical tour" but at the same time, I know that some people don't like virtuals that much and therefore would probably be miffed if they only got one credit for 7 locations...if they sought the virtuals at all.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

I have enjoyed some of the virtuals I have done. I just heard of several virtuals on a historical tour. I like that idea. 5 - 10 miles may be a bit long. Actually a walking virtual would be nice, like in a memorial park. Also combining virtuals with a traditional to make a multi strikes me as a nice idea. Thicken Orange Juice near Lansing IL is a good example of that.

Doing a walking tour probably wouldn't work...there are only 2 locations that I would consider to be w/in walking distance of each other. Although I like that idea.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

I recently placed this cache in my town. I haven't had any visits yet so I'm not sure how well it will be received. My appologies if you can't read it, I make all my caches members only for the first week or so. It is a combination benchmark, micro, virtual with a traditional final. If the sites are related it would be better. If they are close, I'd rather they were made into a multi rather than kept seperate.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

My personal feeling is that if you wouldn't walk from WP to WP, then set them up as individual caches. Socko set up Points of Interest(GC54F6) as a multicache that was essentially virtual to virtual with a conventional cache at the end. Each WP has a tag that leads to the next. The cache is enjoyed by all who visit as the WPs are unique and worth visiting on their own. You will need to consider how you are going to route you finders from point-to-point without posting a masterplan that would allow some to go directly to the final WP. Points of Interest is perhaps 15 miles from start to finish. If your clever, you might find a way to use a virtual as the WP1 of an offset type cache (2WP multicache).

You have a lot of options available, It's your cache. Place it and they will come.

tb

Originally posted by freelens/mosie:

I recently placed http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=48993 cache in my town. I haven't had any visits yet so I'm not sure how well it will be received. My appologies if you can't read it, I make all my caches members only for the first week or so. It is a combination benchmark, micro, virtual with a traditional final. If the sites are related it would be better. If they are close, I'd rather they were made into a multi rather than kept seperate.

3 of the sites are directly related to each other, 2 of which are possibly w/in walking distance of each other...the 3rd is about 1.5 miles away. The rest of the points are places that directly involved in the history of the town, such as where/how the town started, industrial impacts that carried the town though the depression, and other points of interest that give the town some fame, that is not directly well known by people outside of the town...it's hard to explain that last point w/o giving it away. What if I were to list them all separatly, so one would get credit for each find, but require information from one site to get to the next (ie: list real coordinates for the first, and bogus ones for the rest, but you would gather info from the first to get to the second, and so on?)

Mr. 0

Why not have a virtual tour of the town? We've done Statues Times 10 in Bozeman, Mt and that takes you to ten nice pieces of art/history in Bozeman. You answer the questions and find the final location and a nice traditional cache. We drove for every location but 2, and it was nice to do it that way as Grandma (who doesn't walk much) could join us for most of the trip and enjoyed the fun as much as we did. We'd have no problem doing a 7 step virtual which gave us a history lesson at the same time.

-Jennifer

Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else. (JM Barrie)

Well, I think it would be fun either way. I'd be interested if you just did it as a virtual tour, with credit for one cache at the end. I'd also be interested if you set it up as a tour where you had to answer a question about each place to get to the next stage. I'd probably prefer the latter, but that's just because I love puzzles.

I think that there are enough people who are interested in history just for history's sake that you'd get plenty of hits either way.

Shannah