.gpx files to use in the Watcher program??

deliak2

I really love the watcher program, but I cannot find caches in the .gpx format. I get the emails from the pocket query generator from geocaching.com, but I would like to add caches whenever I want. Does anybody know how to get caches in the .gpx format??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks..............kd3045@hotmail.com

I think the question...or if not, what I want to know...is if there's a way other than Pocket Queries to get gpx files that Watcher can use. If you do a regular search and download the results, you get a .loc file. EasyGPS can convert it, but it loses the Groundspeak tags, making it junk to Watcher.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

LOC files don't include all the info the GPX files do in the first place, so you cant really convert them. Sorta like converting a low res picture to a high res one. You need to add stuff that isnt there.

In the second place, ClayJar has specifically stated that he offers up Watcher as a gift to people who support the site through premium membership, so I doubt that even if there was a way around using the PQ GPX files, he would enable it.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

LOC files don't include all the info the GPX files do in the first place, so you cant really convert them. Sorta like converting a low res picture to a high res one. You need to add stuff that isnt there.

In the second place, ClayJar has specifically stated that he offers up Watcher as a gift to people who support the site through premium membership, so I doubt that even if there was a way around using the PQ GPX files, he would enable it.

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

You would think that if GPX is going to be a standard that a LOC file converted to a GPX will just have 'holes' where missing information is. The file should still be usable for coordinates etc.

If this isn't the case then GPX isn't making progress in becoming a standard, or Grounspeak has alredy moved the standard forward and nobody else is on board yet?

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

GPXs from Groundspeak have information in them beyond the standard GPX. Watcher needs this info. LOC files don't have the info (or it's there and EasyGPS ignores it, I don't know which) so a GPX converted from a LOC is unusable by Watcher. It can still be used by other, generic programs, uploaded to your GPS, etc.

This isn't a complaint about Watcher, BTW. I want to be clear about that.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

GPXs from Groundspeak have information in them _beyond_ the standard GPX. Watcher needs this info. LOC files don't have the info (or it's there and EasyGPS ignores it, I don't know which) so a GPX converted from a LOC is unusable by Watcher. It can still be used by other, generic programs, uploaded to your GPS, etc.

This isn't a complaint about Watcher, BTW. I want to be clear about that.

You put it very well, Dino.

Like I said before, as far as Watcher itself is concerned:

quote:
Posted on ClayJar.com:

Watcher is a GPX utility available at no charge (although tips are always appreciated) to paying members of Geocaching.com. It is our way of

saying "thank you" to all those who support the site from which we have found countless hours of enjoyment.

So I would expect that CJ does not intend Watcher to work for non-subscribing members.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.