What Color Is Your Ammo Box?

CYBret

I stopped by the Surplus Store the other night and picked up a can of olive green spraypaint for a couple new ammo boxes. It got me to thinking how almost all the ammo boxes I've seen/used are either olive green or some sort of a green camo. Of course, this makes sense, but I also got to wondering what other colors people have used.

I wonder how an obnoxiously bright YELLOW ammo can would go over. :P

I remember someone painting one with a blue fleck-stone paint, to make it look more "harmless." :P

Purple? Black? Red white and blue? White snow camo?

Anyone seen anything unusual? Got any good pictures?

Bret

I've seen some painted with fleck stone, and one in town here is done up as a travel bug graveyard cache, that ones painted up to look like a tombstone.

On a slightly off tangent thing, I just found out my father is involved with a VFW post in town, and he can get me all the ammo boxes I'd ever want, for free!

white_box.jpg

Here we see an example of the rare albino geocache in captivity. It is very unlikely that such ammo cans could survive in the wild for very long, as their lack of any pigmentation would make it extremely difficult for them to blend into their surroundings. This one was found and taken in by a kindly geocacher, who has retrained it to serve as a storage and transport container for fragile objects and equipment.

I had this whipped up specially for a local cacher who had the gall to say publicly in a log that she had found a lot of dud caches recently. The cache is called "This Duds For You". :P

It's hidden in a black bag, though, to protect the paint and to make it not stand out. On the cache page it's listed as a "surprise container".

dudssmall.jpg

This Dud's For You

Edited by Vargseld

I use flat black (makes them very difficult to find even in bright daylight), slate grey (in our limestone rock in Austin this color is excellent camo), and even brown (woodland hides in hollow logs). I never use green and I never deploy one with the original military markings.

I have seen light blue, pastel pink, and black and white checks (hidden in the woods near a racetrack) out in the woods.

At geowoodstock2 there were a few solid gold ones, and clayjar's hyundai beige custom mounted one.

I just read of a bright yellow one I plan to look for at the beach this weekend.

I think lowracer's comment of painting over the original military markings is a wise suggestion.

We recently went to Portland. A story in and of itself, but our very first cache as we were hunting the 'Machine' in reverse order had horror stories tied to it. The area was heavily treed with a rather large water tower blocking out a perfectly good skyline on one side. The ivy was thick and the muggles, at times, were said to be even thicker.

Nervous enough to break out in a cold... well, certainly not sweat as women do NOT sweat...

Um, er, I digress.

It took us about 3.5 seconds to find the cache... painted BRIGHT RED lying amongst the ivy.

Mayhap the locals are color blind.

Locally we have one that's painted a flourescent green/yellow - amazingly enough it is rather well hidden in amongst the ferns and salal and other greenery on the forest floor.

Another is a cache called "Mr. Mickey Man" out on an island you have to boat or swim to. I donated a new 50 cal can to replace the old plastic container so a friend could replace it for the owner. He went out on a Saturday and replaced it, and I followed closely behind a couple of days later... He'd painted the can itself, black (I think) and it had huge Mickey Mouse decals on it.

We had a good chuckle over the 'non-threatening' ammo can.

Pictures? Not hardly.

Most of the cans here are painted in those nice flat deep-woods colors in the 'camo' set of spray paint cans and then we rip off some nice leaves or fern fronts to get that nice 'it's really a plant' sort of look going for them.

-=-

michelle

I've found a couple with unusual colors. One is painted with rainbow stripes on it. It is well hidden in a pile of large rocks up in the mountains. The other was white with black paw prints on it. It wasn't hidden real well when I found it, but is quite aways off of the well traveled trails.

I found one that set my standard for a 1 difficulty find.  It was day glow orange sitting by itself in the middle of nowhere after a mile hike to get there.  After the hike you could see it from a long ways away.

That cache I will remember for a long line time.

Something like this?

stump.jpg:P

so far i haven't seen any colors i consider "weird". i'm about to hide a white one, and we have a bright yellow one near here that people have trouble finding.

white and yellow are such un-weird colors that kindergarten students and probably even stunod can identify them with little difficulty.

(sorry, dude, but you name just happen to pop into my head at the wrong time.)

so far i haven't seen any colors i consider "weird". i'm about to hide a white one, and we have a bright yellow one near here that people have trouble finding.

white and yellow are such un-weird colors that kindergarten students and probably even stunod can identify them with little difficulty.

(sorry, dude, but you name just happen to pop into my head at the wrong time.)

That's OK...I'm just looking up results from last years bike races in Vermont... :P

After thinking of these ammo boxes some more, I wondered how funny it'd be if you could by some miracle win an auction of a pallet load of ammo boxes, place the entire pallet somewhere it wouldn't be an eyesore, waste of space, against the rules, whathave you. Trick is they're all empty, save one, which would be the actual cache.

Maybe that's just too evil.......

Here's that John Deer themed cache.

Green & Yellow cache

Waypoint GCJ127

Yep, that's the one....

Just for the heck of it, I went to the local sporting goods store and bought a can of blaze orange paint, I then proceeded to spray the ammo can with it. I now notice I should have put a base coat of white or something but I can fix this....

Anyway, my idea is to take the now day-glow orange cache and hide it somewhere so devious that it won't make a difference what color it is...

white_box.jpg

Here we see an example of the rare albino geocache in captivity. It is very unlikely that such ammo cans could survive in the wild for very long, as their lack of any pigmentation would make it extremely difficult for them to blend into their surroundings. This one was found and taken in by a kindly geocacher, who has retrained it to serve as a storage and transport container for fragile objects and equipment.

Ah, but I've seen a situation where this is PERFECT camo. There's a cache in Destin, FL, hidden on a corner of the sugar white sand beach among the reeds, anchored down with a stake (in case of flooding of said beach), where this color camo is the PERFECT application of it.

-Dave R. in Biloxi

I had a silly puzzle cache in the San Diego area (since archived due to cache theft) called Serious Black.

Since the cache is dead, I'll share a few details.

The ammo can was completely flat black. Inside and out. I wouldn't accept a find unless they also signed the logsheet and provided a codeword from it -- which, according to the webpage, was within "5 feet of the container." When the ammo can was opened, at least for the first finder, it appeared to be completely empty.

In reality, the logsheet was stuck to the underside of a piece of magnet sheet cut to fit the bottom of the ammo container, the back side of which was painted the exact same flat black. In essence creating a false bottom. It was darn hard to see, and as cachers added black trade items to the ammo can, it got harder and harder to detect.

I know of one cacher who had to make a repeat 20-mile visit to claim the find. :o

Whoever stole the can probably has no clue the logsheet exists.

--Dave, The Cow Spots

I had a silly puzzle cache in the San Diego area (since archived due to cache theft) called Serious Black.

The ammo can was completely flat black. Inside and out. I wouldn't accept a find unless they also signed the logsheet and provided a codeword from it -- which, according to the webpage, was within "5 feet of the container." When the ammo can was opened, at least for the first finder, it appeared to be completely empty.

In reality, the logsheet was stuck to the underside of a piece of magnet sheet cut to fit the bottom of the ammo container, the back side of which was painted the exact same flat black. In essence creating a false bottom. It was darn hard to see, and as cachers added black trade items to the ammo can, it got harder and harder to detect.

I know of one cacher who had to make a repeat 20-mile visit to claim the find. :o

--Dave, The Cow Spots

can i steal that?

The ammo can was completely flat black.  Inside and out.  I wouldn't accept a find unless they also signed the logsheet and provided a codeword from it -- which, according to the webpage, was within "5 feet of the container."  When the ammo can was opened, at least for the first finder, it appeared to be completely empty.

In reality, the logsheet was stuck to the underside of a piece of magnet sheet cut to fit the bottom of the ammo container, the back side of which was painted the exact same flat black.  In essence creating a false bottom.  It was darn hard to see, and as cachers added black trade items to the ammo can, it got harder and harder to detect.

I know of one cacher who had to make a repeat 20-mile visit to claim the find.  :o

--Dave, The Cow Spots

can i steal that?

Heck, by opening my big mouth in the forums, I suppose the idea's open for business, just give me a one line credit in the cache page if you snag it from me. :)

Dave, The Cow Spots

you know what stinks? this one time, i went looking for a cache out in the woods, but went to it from a "back way". the cache was hidden inside a hollowed out tree trunk. if i had gone the "right" way to get to it, i would not have seen the cache. if the cache box had been replaced a certain way, i would not have seen the cache. BUT, since someone did replace it wrong, a bright neon green sign on the outside of the box kinda sorta caught my attention.

I've seen a couple of nifty ones:

One at Lake Allatoona, GA called Heat Miser's Hideaway. The theme is that Atlanta has been far too hot and dry, so the ammo can has flames like a hot rod and it has a little aquarium thermometer inside to let you know why you're sweating so much! :blink:

The other was called Ice Station Zebra in Verdi, NV. It was of course, zebra striped! But it was extremely well hidden, so it didn't matter.

There's some cool ideas on this thread, though. Maybe my next one will have to be plaid or something, just to be different!

I like cow spots hidden log book -

I am considering a cache that has a decoy cache -

imagine a hollow tree trunk (upright) cache goes in first - then the decoy on top -

open the decoy and there is a note saying - this is not the cache but you are close

too mean?

Edited by CompuCash