1st Find Question!

geographer-pam

Hi to all!

I'm a newbie here...joined and have been reading...and have ordered the caching books etc. I have a Garmin Streetpilot III in my car and am going to go get a handheld (probably ETREX) to have while searching. I'm ready to go make my first find and I have a question...would you consider a "virtual" cache a "worthy" first find or would you want to actually go find a "real" cache? Or does it matter? Since I'm single and female, I'm a little leery of going out to find a hidden cache by myself until I know a little bit more and have more experience :P but I'm willing to wait to make that first find until I have good daylight etc if that would be best. Ok, I think I'm rambling here! lol

Ok, next question...(you didn't think I'd stop with one, did you?) How is it best to meet other cachers in my area? I could do a search and send an email...is that the best way? I didn't know if unsolicited emails to find others were acceptable...I don't want to break rules, etc. Any help finding others in my area would be greatly appreciated! I'd love to learn more from experienced people that I could meet face-to-face (although I have to say I'm learning a LOT from these forums!)

Ok, two's my limit FOR NOW! I'm quite sure I'll have more! TIA for the help!

pam :P

Traditional or virtual... I like them both, so to be honest, it wouldn't matter to me. I would say, look around your area for some 1/1 or so 'caches and read the descriptions and see what appeals to you. I have done some virts that were way harder than a lot of traditionals...

As for meeting people.. best way I would suggest is post a note in your regional forum, or see if there is a local group that you could get in touch with. If you are living in a larger center, there may well be even 'caches... a good chance to meet others!

Welcome to the obsession! :P

Hey Pam, Welcome to geocaching, your life will never be the same.

I don't think it matters much but if it was me, and it was once not to long ago, I would rather find a physical cache. There is a definite thrill I remember when I found my first and I don't think it would be quite the same if it was a virtual. But hey maybe that's just me. On feeling safe. I tend to think you would be safer in a secluded park then in a city location, where a virt might be. IMO, the bad guys don't go hiking too much.

There are a couple of things you can do to get to know your local cachers.

a) Post a note on your local forum just like you did here.

:P Search for events in your area.

c) Get out there and cache. you might just meet someone on the trail, especially on new caches. If you do see someone else caching wave your GPS and you should get a very warm reception.

Edited by JMBella

Either-Or: Depends on what you want to do. I wanted to find a traditional cache for my first find, and that's what I did. I've done 1 virtual so far (plan on doing more this weekend), and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The virtuals around my area seem to have a lot of history behind them, and I'm really looking forward to doing them. Liek tirediron said, no matter what type of cache you go for, try to go for something with a low rating. This is an easy way to get into the sport without getting totally frustrated. :P

I noticed on some local caches in my area that they have a link to a regional group webpage. That's how I discovered our local group. I know there is also a thread floating around here somewhere that has local group site addresses listed.

Welcome to the addiction, and good luck on your 1st hint! :P

ok, thanks for the welcome and also the ideas!

Now...how do I find my local group? I have searched and found "southwest" - nothing there I could see? There is a Texas group but I'm kinda isolated up here in the panhandle - I didn't see any links to anything local at all? Maybe I'm missing something because I'm new...so if I am, please point me in the right direction (a virtual GPS if you will! lol) Thanks again - I'm so excited about this sport! Perfect for us geography teachers!!! :P

You could try here or here. They might not be as close as you want, but it's like that old commerical.. she told two friends... eventually it will make it's way to someone who is probably pretty close. Good luck! There may be more useful or closer links in thjs Google search too.

thanks for that info - very helpful! I emailed the president of the North Texas group. You're right...networking is definitely the way of the world! Thanks again...

Greetings and welcome!

As JMBella pointed out, your life will never be the same!

I think that if it were me, I would want to find a real, physical cache as my "first". (And that's what I did.) That way you would have the experience of trading swag, and THAT (IMHO) is the true nature of caching.

You mention that you are single, you may want to get in touch with GeoHo. (Don't let the handle throw you...)

She's one of our "Geo-Dating" success stories! Proof that you can find a lot more than golf balls and broken McToys while caching!

{Note: Tongue firmly in cheek during that last bit.}

(edit: added missing information.)

Edited by Team Flashncache
... you may want to get in touch with GeoHo. (Don't let the handle throw you...) ...

Thanks for the welcome! I think I will wait to do a "real" first cache - just to make it more fun! Ok, how do I find someone on here specifically? You mentioned a name (GeoHo) but I'm not sure how to search for specific members? Sorry to be asking so many questions - I just went through all the links and didn't see anything... :P Thanks again!!!

First time out, I say you owe it to yourself to find the tupperware and sign the book. What a rush! My first, I found the tupperware, but it was frozen solid and I couldn't sign the book. It was an easy one in an urban park, but I bumbled around for half an hour like a cow in a thicket, fell down, got scratched up and generally looked like a complete idiot.

Goodness, it was fun!

Another welcome to you. Don't be afraid to email someone near you who has a lot of caching experience they will probably feel honored you did. I got a email from a newbie once and took her caching on her first find. It was a honor to me that she emailed me and what a thrill to watch her find her first cache and also to be FTF. We made a day of it had fun and became great friends. We still occasionally go caching together.

Also don't be afraid to cache alone. It is no worse than taking a walk alone. Just be careful which ones you choose to do alone. I am a female caching granny who often caches alone and love it. But there are caches I also pass up till I have a partner with me. When choosing someone to email, find someone near you who has a lot of caches under their belt. They can show you the ropes to the trickier finds also.

Just look at the caches near you and find a cacher who has frequented them and has a lot of caches. If they have gone to all the caches near you they probably live within distance to be of help. You go girl and have fun. My friend started me out on my first cache a little over 2 years ago and I have over 700 caches with probably close to half of them soloing it.

Welcome to the sport.

One way to find who the active cachers in your area is to search by your zip code for caches then look at the logs, see who's names pop up a lot. Click on their name to pull up their stats. See how many finds and hides they have. If you email most people they would be happy to help in any way, probably even go with you.

When I went after my first cache I wanted something I felt comfortable with too. I search by zip code and looked at the ones closest to home. I looked at the map quest map for each. By looking at the map I found one in a park next to my office. I go to this park all the time and even ride mountain bike there in the woods so I know the surroundings very well, so I picked this one for my first find.

Also like someone else said go for a 1/1 or easy hide. The easy ones are usually very close to the trail so you should not be off in the middle of no where.

An urban micro in a parking lot during daytime is also pretty safe.

When you pick your first one also print out 3-4 more because as soon as you get #1 you wil want to go after more. :P

My first two were found without a GPS. The first was a virtual of two murals that I saw every day. My second was in a small park about a half mile away . You had to start at a sculpture that was very easy to find. I was hooked. Now 11 months later I have over 460 finds.