Suggestions for equipment when geocaching

WV Muddy Boots

Hello,

What equipment should be included in the ole backpack does everyone recommend. I am guessing that this has been covered before and I checked the faqs and search engine however could not find any previous discussions? I am hooked and now want to get my backpack properly equiped.

Thanks in advance for any information!

I have wondered about this myself.

Here's a list of what I (a newbie) can think of off the top of my head.

EQ needed for caching:

GPSr (duh) [WaldenRun may debate this]

Compass

Printouts

Map(s)

Knife/Multi-tool

camera (optional)

hiking shoes/boots

Perhaps one of the regulars can provide a better and more organized list of suggested equipment.

To be honest all I've taken on my few finds is a GPSr and the printouts. I can see the need for other things as I get away from 1/1 caches.

SouthDeltan

Where will you be going?

How far from civilization?

What kind of terrain?

What kind of weather?

Most of the caches that I go to (in northeast Ohio) are close enough to people that I don't carry anything but my GPS, a pen and notebook, a printout of the cache, and trade goods. At some point in the near future I will be getting a cell phone, just in case of emergency.

If the cache is in the woods I wear hiking boots. If it's a virtual in the city, or the weather has been good and I know the trail, I wear sneakers.

I am usually not that far from my van, which has a first aid kit, rain gear, heavy clothing, water, snacks, etc. If it looks like it will rain, I'll take the rain gear with me. I won't suffer from lack of food or water in the short time that I am away from the van so I don't carry that with me.

Everyone will have a differant opinion about what to take. Listen to them all and then figure out what would be best for you.

RichardMoore

icon_cool.gif

When in danger, or in doubt,

Run in circles, scream and shout.

Robert Heinlein

I gave up on the butt pack (no hips) and now use a small daypack for my geocaching stuff. It contains:

- GPS

- cache printouts from the webpage

- spare batteries

- bag of trade goods (foreign coins, mardi gras doubloons, lapel pins, pinback buttons, lotto tickets, polished rocks, occasionally toys, etc.)

- pens, pencils and small pencil sharpener

- notebook for recording my impressions, details of what I took/left (makes the online logs much easier) or for recording details when placing a cache

- spare baggies and logbooks for maintaining caches I find in need of attention

- small flashlight

- compass (which I've never had to use)

- knife (which I've also never had to use -- I also carry a Leatherman Micro at all times)

- water

- snacks

There is plenty of room left in this small pack for stowing a jacket or carrying a travel bug or even a cache into a site for placing.

I also carry a walking staff -- easy on the knees and good for poking into holes while looking for caches.

Let me be the first to redirect you.This thread might help.

Beware it is a long and opinionated read.

In summary pack should contain: extra batteries, water, compass, water, snacks, water, minor first aid, trading treasures, cell phone and or FRS radio, flash light with extra batteries, whistle or noise making device, pens or pencils, cache repair items (log books/pads, golf pencils, duct tape,etc.), personal ID and something showing what your doing searching throught the woods playing with hidden containers(cache page printouts, geocaching.com description page).

Further extra equipment (first aid, survival, comfort,etc) dependant on your bush savy, length of trek, difficulty of trek, isolation factor, personal comfort factor, known dangers (snakes, bears, rappels, water, etc).

[EDIT] Well when I started typing this I was the first to reply, then while typing had to break up a few heated discussions amongst the kids, and now I'm not the first to post (insert sound of tears falling and sniffles here).[/edit]

GPSr's...A step in the right direction!

[This message was edited by MedicP1 on March 22, 2003 at 08:51 AM.]

If you're a premium member you can download gpx/loc files from teh site and load those into your PDA. I heartily recommend getting a pocket pc or palm. there are numerous threads beating topics regarding those great accessories already so I won't go into details. Saves bucks in paper and ink.

If going into mountains or remote area, you need to have your TEN ESSENTIALS...extra clothes, water, food, raingear, first aide, maps,etc.

well, i would suggest that it really depends on the cache as was mentioned earlier. if the cache is only a couple hundred meters away from your vehicle and in a populated area, a gps and trade items is ok. however if venturing into the wilderness my pack resembles criminals. i guess the point is treat your 2 hour juant as if it could last 2 days and be prepared.

i notice though that the most important thing often gets left out, that is common sense and the ability to use the implements you have (ie. if gps dies, know how to use compass, or if in a jam be able to find north with your wrist watch)

Go to any backpacking or hiking website and search for the 'ten essentials'.

Some sites have more than ten, and may vary by one or two items on the list, but you'll get some ideas, and work from there.

There's a reason they are called 'essential'. If you are any distance at all from your vehicle you are only one sprained ankle or twisted knee away from spending the night in the brush. A good rule of thumb is if you are out of sight of your vehicle and other people, the pack goes with you.

========================================

Friends don't let Friends geocache drunk.

...I'd picked up some animal repellent (aka pepper spray) after I got spooked by what I thought was a feral dog (it was actually a coyote).

5 bucks well spent for piece of mind.

"If someone did you a favor - something big, something you couldn't do on your own, and instead of paying it back, you paid it forward to three people...and the next day they each paid it forward to three more...and the day after that, those 27 people each paid it forward to another three...and each day, everyone in turn paid it forward to three more people...in two weeks, that comes to 4,782,969 people." - Pay It Forward

Anything you would take for a day hike to the area. If you are not a hiker, then here is a partial list:

Compass

pocket knife

waterproof matches, or lighter

water

food

extra clothing appropriate for region and season

topo map

first aid kit

Now 90 percent of caches don't require any of this. Most are within 100 yards of a parking lot or road...but if you are taking a hike of a half mile or more, be prepared.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

for most of my jaunts, I carry similar items...

2-way FRS radios (never know when someone might be in range and monitoring.

Knife

Liquids (soon to be supported by a 100oz. Camelbak M.U.L.E.)

Cell phone (may or may not work)

Sidearm and extra ammo (2 mags)

GPS

PDA (w/ pages downloaded **see paper/ink reasons above)

Snacks (most of the time)

At least 2 pens

2 flashlights (mini-mag and Finova 5-LED super bright white)

reflective device (aka AOL CD)

and for an added safety (for me), I leave MapSource loaded and maximized on my PC displaying the area and ALL caches I intend on seeking that day. It gives my wife a very good reference for rescue personnel should I not make it home that evening. Granted, the search area might be a tad large (depending on the area), but usually I leave a probable route up on the screen, so the search corridor is drastically reduced. My hope is that extra preparation is never required.

Brian

Team A.I.

everything already mentioned (well except for the machette - utility blade works fine for me) and...

no one said head net for bugs or bug spray!!!! it is nearly impossible to cache without them in the summertime in upstate NY.

....also extra socks (I can't resist puddles icon_smile.gif )

sewing kit, iodine (to purify water --- haven't needed it yet), extra shoelaces and I also carry a couple of $'s and some change in the backpack ..just in case I run out of gas or something

...oh yeah .... & i keep a tent and a sleeping bag in my car ...but that's mostly because you never know when you're going to want to go camping for the night

Wow, this thread got super active after I forgot about it.

Great suggestions, especially the stuff for longer hikes.

I haven't been on anything furthur than a few hundred yards yet - but I imagine after the first long cache I'd remember water - doh!

Hrm - somebody (COUGHCOUGHcriminalCOUGH) believes in being prepared, must have been a boy scout icon_smile.gif

SouthDeltan

It all depends on the terrain, distance, weather, etc. I do keep the following pack (Bug Out Bag) in the car with us while caching or on trips...

For the TRIOGEO family (wife, 3 yr old, and me) we take:

Blackhawk Industries Cyclone (100 oz H2O x 2)2400ci of storage (with side packs)

Magellan meridian Gold

BUG SPRAY (Florida = Killer Mosquitos)

Case for Gps (on shoulder strap)

Cell phone

Whistle (on shoulder strap)

First aid kit

Leatherman tool (on shoulder strap)

Spare socks (for everyone)

spare Shorts (for everyone)

Spare t shirt (for everyone)

Diapers

Wipes

Toilet paper

Lighter

Firestarter

Signal mirror

Compass

Ziplock bags

Pens

Cahce pages

Notebook

Emergency blanket (large size - for shelter also)

Flashlight (X2 - Surefire 8ax and 2D flood)

Chemlight sticks (keeps child amused at dusk)

Cache items (for trade)

Zip ties

50' of climbing rope

100'of paracord

Carabiners

Large plastic trash bags (for trash and panchos)

Digital Camera

Small binoculars

Frs radios

Spare batteries

MRE's (emergency food)

Snacks & light food (we have lunch/dinner while out)

Glock entrenching tool (camp shovel)

Glock model 27 .40 S&W (in M16 magazine pouch)

I also bring a Hydration unit only pack, with a small buttpack, to take some of the items from above list, for easy, short distance caches.

Seems like much, but packs all together in a nice little package that we can take anywhere. Living in South Florida, we can see sudden and violent weather changes, and having my family with me on all of our caches, I like being prepared!

Besides, I have the light pack, the wife carries the child when needed! LOL

You can see the Cyclone at:

http://www.blackhawkindustries.com/product_catalog.asp?option=search&searchterms=cyclone

My List:

backpack

canteen (water)

hiking boots

food (sandwich, snacks, fruit, nuts)

first aid kit

maps

compass

napkins / tissues

binoculars

bird guide

dry socks / sneakers

hats / hiking and later

insect repellant spray (Repel brand 18 IPF, DEET about 16-17%)

hand lotion

rain parka

flashlight (lightweight, Tekna brand)

Dr. Scholl's moleskin

bandana

knife / corkscrew

ace bandage

clean shirt (post-hike)

eyeglass cleaner cloth

garbage bag

matches

wear socks that go over pants

camera

----- yanqu7

Oh, I guess I should also let you know what is in my first aid kit that I carry:

SNAKE BITE / BEE STING KIT

band-aids

first aid cream

burn cream (benzocaine)

antiseptic wipes

{ cloth first aid tape, 1" x 1 yard

use together { soft gauze bandage, 2" x 2 yard

{ non-stick pads, medium (2" x 3")

extra large bandages

scissors

first aid guide

instant cold packs (ammonium nitrate and water)

ibuprofen / tylenol / aspirin

first aid antibiotic (neosporin ointment)

disposable thermometers

and, although I don't smoke, I carry a pack of Marlboro cigarettes to light up and heat the ticks to get them to back out off of my skin, in case I find one embedded in me

----- yanqu7

Lots of good ideas posed by others. Bowed-Up and I use the standard packs of the Camelbak type, (beer, anyone?) as well as a Gerber/Leatherman-type multi-gizmo. Was especially intrigued by Criminal's lockpick entry. Must say though...if traveling in tandem with others, I would have to recommend use of two-way radios. Opey One, Granny Grump and I fell into a situation in the SW VA mountains where these were particularly handy...

I'm using a camelbak MULE. Stuffed into the pack are:

water fitration pump

assorted bandages

tincture of iodine

two compasses (one pin on)

waterproof matches

magnifier

two extra sets of batteries for GPS

mini mag lite

water purification tabs

ziploc bags

ka-bar knife

diamond sharpener

"How to Stay Alive in the Woods" by Bradford Angier

gerber multiplier

wire saw

50' para cord

Estwing No.1 hatchet

venom extractor pump

.40 S&W sigma (If the conditions warrant)

DEET (the conditions almost allways warrant)

and, of course, GPSr

There are tons of other little things in there that if I got lost, or some unforseen bad event happened, would get left in a ziploc by the trail. (Of course, I'd go back for it as soon as I could) Lately, I've been practicing TNLN, so I dont usually bring trade items. But Who knows, I could allways leave a compass or something.

"I'm not moving my car 'till you get my food right!"

1. Yourself and any other person you can bribe to join you.

2. Your GPS. Everything else is pointless for 90% of all caches or is only nice to have for your own enjoyment (i.e. PDA, binoculars, compass, etc.). Even though I have a compass and know how to use it, I have not needed it once on any cache I've gone on. So go ahead and over prepare if you makes you feel better.

--CoronaKid

If I would be able to either crawl to a public area from the cache, or have a good chance of summoning help with my very loud voice, I bring my

eTrex,

compass,

cache printout with zoomed MapQuest map on the back,

digicam,

whistle, and

trade items pouch (includes stamp, pens, pencils, quart size ZipLock freezer bags (2), spare log book, and very small first aid kit) the pouch is a camera bag made to go on a belt, it has a big belt loop that I slide my hand thru so that I still have use of my hand.

I always have my Spyderco Endura pocket clip knife, and fingernail clippers (for removing stickers/splinters), and Photon micro-light.

if it's a long hike in the middle of nowhere, I bring (in addition to above) my:

hiking pole,

waterproof hiking boots,

Topo map of the area,

Osprey Solo pack with:

70 oz Camel

Katadyne water filter (there is always water here in w. WA)

Food bars,

beef jerky,

hard candy,

chewing gum,

larger first aid kit,

bug spray,

space blanket type sleeping bag, (keeps the insects out better than blanket)

emergency poncho,

2 bic lighters,

cell phone, (full charge)

FRS radio,

Monocular,

Inova X5 indestructible, super-bright 5 LED flashlight with 2 extra CR-123 lithium (last over 20hrs),

5 extra AA batteries (3 for FRS, 2 for eTrex),

extra socks,

leather gloves,

moist cleansing towels in a Ziplock,

8-10 paper towels folded in a Ziplock,

2x 1 gal. Ziplock bag,

light, compact raincoat with hood, doubles as wind-breaker,

nylon boonie hat,

reflector tape,

whistle,

Kershaw needlenose visegrip-like multi-tool,

medium PackTowl,

50' paracord,

I will adjust for longer hikes, but the above works most times.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures

[This message was edited by martmann on April 25, 2003 at 12:39 AM.]

I just take my Stainless Steel Ruger .22/250 slung over my shoulder.

Everything else I need gets given to me by people I meet in the Street.

So far most people seem to give me their Wallets or Purses. One kind gentleman even offered me the keys to his car. He did ask for one thing in return, "Please Don't Hurt Me". I have no Idea why he said that.

Is it that I am a really nice person or something? I have no idea why these people do these things...

Damian Mueller

damian007@optusnet.com.au

6 5.56 Magazines

2 Claymore Pouches

AN PVS-4 Night Vision

ALICE Pack

MRE (Omlett with Ham)

Poncho w/out the liner (you've gotta be hard)

4 M-67 Frag Grenades

Map (1:50,000)

Compass (Broken)

GPS (No Batteries)

PRC-77 (No Batteries or Crypto Gear)

And the most important item " a whole lot of motivation"

wait a minute....wait a minute.....

wait a dog-gone minute!!!

None of you guys mentioned a sat phone.

Here are the models I use. #1 Motorola Timeport

for treks in the urban areas, where I will be

no farther than 1/4 mile away from the car.

#2 is the INMARSAT ( very reliable in bad weather). Saved my life one time in KOSOVO when

someone fired an RPG at an Albanian building.

#3 is the trusted London Communications 7E

videophone. I use this when I have to tag along with DELTA FORCE extractions while I am geo-

caching on locations hostile.

ALSO don't forget your kevlar body armor and

mine maps. Oh yeah I use a basic etrex, (used to use a PLGR, but the dam thing is too big.)

Always carry good ole H2O too.

TOOK one terrorist map

LEFT DVD of PAYBACK

psyopwak