Article On Geocaching And Groundspeak

koz

A bit of googling in the various newsgroups will uncover a post from someone indicating that someone preferred not to be associated with geocaching (not necessarily gc.com, just geocaching as it was evolving at that time). Perhaps Jeremy was respecting that wish?
jon & miki hit it on the head.

In that case, how about changing the history page to say that the first cache was hidden by someone who doesn't wish to be named? Then people won't assume that you decided to leave him out based on some animosity between the two of you.

Of course, if Ulmer no longer wishes to be anonymous, then you can just put his name there.

I think that either change would improve the page.

If you'd like me to, I'd be happy to contact Ulmer and see if he has a preference.

Nylimb, could you please scroll up, read again what Jeremy had to say on this point, and drop this one point so that the thread can return to other things? Those of us reading along would be most appreciative.

As I read Jeremy's prior posts, given Dave Ulmer's relatively recent change of heart about geocaching in general, consideration is being given to revising that particular history page, just as the recent book backed by Geocaching.com gives credit to this individual. There are dozens of other little tiny changes like this one that I am sure are kept on a list somewhere in Jeremy's office. I would think that removing the asterisk next to Yellow Jeep Travel Bugs on the user statistics page would have a higher priority, for example.

Nylimb, could you please scroll up, read again what Jeremy had to say on this point, and drop this one point so that the thread can return to other things?  Those of us reading along would be most appreciative.

As I read Jeremy's prior posts, given Dave Ulmer's relatively recent change of heart about geocaching in general, consideration is being given to revising that particular history page, just as the recent book backed by Geocaching.com gives credit to this individual.  There are dozens of other little tiny changes like this one that I am sure are kept on a list somewhere in Jeremy's office.  I would think that removing the asterisk next to Yellow Jeep Travel Bugs on the user statistics page would have a higher priority, for example.

Fine, I'll drop it. I've made my suggestion, and it's either been silently rejected or silently added to a list somewhere. It's not very satisfying, but it's about what I expected.

At least now I know why Dave Ulmer isn't mentioned; thanks jon & miki.

A bit off topic but... I've never really understood why people get riled up over Jeremy/Groundspeak making money off of geocaching. As far as I'm concerned they bend over backwards to ensure that the bulk of the functionality is available for free. You can opt in to be a premium member but you don't have to.

Frankly, I hope Jeremy gets rich beyond his wildest dreams as a result of his hard work on geocaching.com (that may not happen but any money he makes is more than fine by me). Why shouldn't he? It's a business that offers more for free than most businesses do. I'm a paying premium member not for the extra features but because I want to support the site for all that I get out of it. Whatever that value amounts to it's a lot higher than $30/year.

Hmm, apologies for being more than a bit off topic and being a bit ranty but I'm always amazed at the making-money-off-of-gc.com is bad talk.. Thanks for making it happen and I hope the dough keeps rolling in.

(John Galt would be proud)

Jeremy, is the location of Groundspeak headquarters a secret? Or if a cacher were to come to Seattle and wanted to stop by and say hello would that be allowed?

I've been there once this year and will likely be back in the next year. Would it be possible to arrange to stop by and say hello, meet the staff, etc?

Just a quick note of thanks to Jeremy (evil as he may be) for his contributions and insight to this thread. Even though the topics of Ulmer and Buxley may fall under the heading of "none of my stinking business", it's always interesting to learn the stories of any organizations development......painful or gleeful as they may be.

I don't know of any successful sport, business or organization that didn't encounter "we're growing too fast", "that's not the way we use to do it" or "I'm taking my toys and going home". However, I'm certain there are many unsuccessful entities by the wayside that never enjoyed these issues.

All winning ventures need to remember where they came from and that's why I would like to thank Jeremy for sharing some of those stories. I'm sure there are many more......and I would love to hear them. Myabe over a pint one day.

Scoob

Jeremy, is the location of Groundspeak headquarters a secret? Or if a cacher were to come to Seattle and wanted to stop by and say hello would that be allowed?

I've been there once this year and will likely be back in the next year. Would it be possible to arrange to stop by and say hello, meet the staff, etc?

Because I am a volunteer for the website, I was fortunate enough to arrange a visit to Groundspeak's offices during my recent geo-vacation in Seattle. Not much to see -- some cubicles, some computers, and a big pile of yellow jeeps -- but a very nice group of people to meet.

So, I know the address... but I'd never disclose it. I took some pictures... but they'll never find their way into the "More About Groundspeak" topic. It would be awfully difficult to get the Frog's work done if geocachers could stop by and come in off the street to say hello. Moreover, having heard more than a few stories about some of the "customer inquiries" received at the office, if this were my office I would not want its location published unless I boosted my fire insurance coverage and hired on a couple of security guards.

A much better way to meet the Groundspeak gang is to go geocaching with them, attend a CITO event, etc. Check out some of the recent threads in the Northwest forum, where Jeremy and other "powers that be" have either attended or organized some very fun trips. I think it's great that Jeremy can find time in his schedule to do some quality caching now and then. And for those along on the hike, it's nice to see that "the powers that be" are just geocachers at heart, like the rest of us.

Thanks KA, I never thought about it like that. Not being one that would visit for any reason other than to say that I have, and to shake hands, I wasn't thinking of reasons to be afraid.

Next time I'm sent to the Seattle area maybe I'll try to arrange ahead of time to go caching with some of the nice folks at Groundspeak. It would be fun.

You're not the one entitled to make that request.

I'm not sure if that comment was directed at me. If it was, could you please explain it?

I didn't make a request; I made a suggestion and an offer to help. I don't understand why you would object to that.

WOW it’s been a long time since I stuck my head in here. I haven't posted in probably two years it was interesting to come back and see and read this thread.

I remember sitting out in front of the house I was renting in Cleveland Height while at grad school at CWRU and watching my GPS screen intently as SA was turn off shortly after midnight in the early morning of May 2. I also remember reading Dave's post on sci.geo.satellite-nav about the first GPS stash and thinking that was such and excellent idea. I was involved from the get go. I followed the post intently and I even help Mike Teague with a few files on his web site and followed the development very closely. That following October I found my first cache, the first one placed here in Ohio

http://web.archive.org/web/20000815110954/...yngwie/gps.html

That's me on the first line of the news on! :(

A bit off topic but... I've never really understood why people get riled up over Jeremy/Groundspeak making money off of geocaching.

I can certainly understand their bad feelings. Not sure I agree with the anger but I do understand why they feel that way. When it all started it was such a small, pure geek activity and it was done by such a small select group of people. As it got more exposure on the Internet it grew and grew pretty fast. That growth changed it, and changed it a lot at least from the point of view of us that saw it and followed it from its inception. Some of the changes were undoubtedly for the better but some also detracted from what made some of the early people like it.

To be honest I like it when it was still called GPS Stash Hunt and there were less then 100 caches in existence, I always did like the “GPS stash” name better. Back then I was able to help and make a difference when it was that small. I, as I’m sure others did offered to help Jeremy when he first started geocashing.com and we were politely turn down. I think this made some angry, up to that time GPS Stash was practically run by a very loosely associated committee but Jeremy was going to do it his way with his website as was his right. But despite my desire to have it back that way before Jeremy created geocaching I don't think it would have survived for long had Jeremy not done with geocaching what he did. I definably would have done it a bit differently but I didn't so I have no reason gripe and I think others might have done better but then again others could certainly have done a lot worst then Jeremy has done.

Not sure there is much of a point to this post, :huh: just the reminiscing and rambling :( of and “old” GPS stasher. :(

Good luck huntin’

mcb

Wow, user i.d. number 7 returns to the forums!

Thank you for checking in. This was one of the most interesting posts I've read in a long time. I appreciated your balanced perspective about the history that you helped to create.

I hope you might re-kindle your interest in geocaching, it has been quite awhile since you've logged a find on the site. With posts like that one, don't be such a stranger to the forums, either!

This thread is one of the most interesting things that I have read in the forums. I'm a relative newcomer to this game as I just started in Dec. of '03 but I love hearing from the people that have been doing it since its inception. This game has evolved very quickly and in the grand scope of things I think that it is safe to say that the game is still in it's infantile stage. It's only been what about three years since it started? Imagine what we will be talking about in another three years.

I think that it is sad that some would think that Jerimy is evil just because he saw the potential of this game and acted on it. If the website were not so well maintained and user friendly how much growth do you really think this game would have gotten. He built a better mouse trap and if he earns a decent living because of it I'm happy for him. :(

You're not the one entitled to make that request.

I'm not sure if that comment was directed at me. If it was, could you please explain it? ...

I'm not a mind reader, but I think he meant that Dave Ulmer requested to be disassociated from GC.com. If he now wants to be associated with it, he should ask. None of us have the authority to speak for him.

Perhaps it would also go a long way towards mending fences.

A bit off topic but... I've never really understood why people get riled up over Jeremy/Groundspeak making money off of geocaching.

That bothers me too. There are all kinds of people who think they are entitled to the work of others for free. Or without even having to be "bothered" by something like a YJTB.

A bit off topic but... I've never really understood why people get riled up over Jeremy/Groundspeak making money off of geocaching. As far as I'm concerned they bend over backwards to ensure that the bulk of the functionality is available for free. You can opt in to be a premium member but you don't have to.

Frankly, I hope Jeremy gets rich beyond his wildest dreams as a result of his hard work on geocaching.com (that may not happen but any money he makes is more than fine by me). Why shouldn't he? It's a business that offers more for free than most businesses do. I'm a paying premium member not for the extra features but because I want to support the site for all that I get out of it. Whatever that value amounts to it's a lot higher than $30/year.

Hmm, apologies for being more than a bit off topic and being a bit ranty but I'm always amazed at the making-money-off-of-gc.com is bad talk.. Thanks for making it happen and I hope the dough keeps rolling in.

(John Galt would be proud)

I agree, I spend the $30.00 both to hunt the caches and to help suport GC.COM, I would most likley pay the $30.00 if it was just to access the site period but hope it will alway offer the option of free play. Jeremy, keep up the good work :smile:

MT CatRanchet