Article On Geocaching And Groundspeak

koz

Other sites have to make people want to post there- they need to compete by differentiating themselves, or providing a superior product, or some other manner. They need to sit down and identify the barriers to entry and formulate a strategy. For more on this read, this article here

Zero disagreement here. All I was saying is that cachers can, of their own volition, submit a cache to each site. If they have a cache they want listed at 3 sites, then they submit it. At THREE sites. Not just use gc.com as a distribution center.

I just wish that Jeremy would make it easier for Azgeocaching.com to access the information for their statistics page!This page has been the driving force for me to get to the first page and then to the top 10 in the state!I am most likely the busiest cacher and cache placer in Arizona in the past year!Look at the stats!I wish Geocaching com had a list of the top cachers in each state,if your not going to do it at least allow others to!

Guy

I just wish that Jeremy would make it easier for Azgeocaching.com to access the information for their statistics page!This page has been the driving force for me to get to the first page and then to the top 10 in the state!I am most likely the busiest cacher and cache placer in Arizona in the past year!Look at the stats!I wish Geocaching com had a list of the top cachers in each state,if your not going to do it at least allow others to!

Guy

Read this thread for that, and check out their website. Just please, make it opt-IN out of respect for people who don't want their numbers displayed in such a manner?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=73584

Likewise, the ability to track the movements of hitchhikers, aka Travel Bugs ™, using the site's own logging system, was available only to those who paid Irish $5.95 per hitchhiker (informal, home-grown methods of tracking one's hitchhikers remained free, of course).

I just wanted to mention that gc.com tracks USA Geocoins and Irish doesn't get $5.95 for them. You can get them for only $4.99 and very little if any of it goes to Jeremy.

Moun10Bike coins are also tracked by gc.com (so I've heard, I haven't actually found one yet :o ) and Jeremy doesn't get money for those.

Maybe in the beginning they weren't allowed.

I just wanted to mention that gc.com tracks USA Geocoins and Irish doesn't get $5.95 for them. You can get them for only $4.99 and very little if any of it goes to Jeremy.

Moun10Bike coins are also tracked by gc.com (so I've heard, I haven't actually found one yet  :o ) and Jeremy doesn't get money for those.

Maybe in the beginning they weren't allowed.

I can not speak for the Moun10bike coins but as the seller of USA Geocoins I would appreciate it if you did not post information when you do not have the facts.

By saying that Jeremy gets little if any from the sell of the USA Geocoins I would like to know where you got your information.

I will not give specifics but there is an agreement with Groundspeak for selling the coins.

I am not trying to be harsh but I do not wish for information, such as the article that started this thread, to be read and taken as fact.

Edited by Eric K
By saying that Jeremy gets little if any from the sell of the USA Geocoins I would like to know where you got your information.

Just assumed that because of another thread. My apologies. He still doesn't get the $5.95 mentioned in the article. :o

Protection of user copyright? Correct? A lesson learned from "the letterboxing debacle" I suppose.

You categorically reject this restriction is to prevent a competitive site from coming into existence and using the data?

No. Centralized listing service ensures the most current list of active caches. Bzzt. Decentralized results in stale data.

That's funny about Galt. We had an earlier discussion (6+ months back) about Atlas Shrugged. Though the book is a little over the top, it does ring some truisms.

I am deeply sorry for the lack of additional free services the web site offers. I'll make sure to remember when the monthly bandwidth bill arrives.

So, no lawsuit.  You didn't threaten a lawsuit, either?

Sorry, you've exceeded your allotment of questions. If anyone else cares to ask the question I'd be happy to answer.

So, no lawsuit. You didn't threaten a lawsuit, either?

SCNR,

Gert

So, no lawsuit. You didn't threaten a lawsuit, either?

I think so. I don't remember the specifics, but I did send an angry email. I didn't keep it but I'm sure its out there somewhere.

Whatever it said, the root cause was primarily due to him copying my site almost link for link. Their forums still almost identically mirror our own, including some forums that have never been used since their creation!

At the time, from the numerous ads on the site and lack of functionality, bad design and overall yuckiness, he really came off as a carpetbagger. In retrospect I should have just ignored him since the site really never went anywhere.

I suppose at the time I was pretty naive. I considered geocaching a certain brand that we were promoting on the web site. Folks were still continuing to use the GPS Stash Hunt as the official title, so geocaching was to define my site as family friendly and open, ensuring it wouldn't be driven underground. For better or for worse, it became the official name of the activity.

We now fiercely defend the geocaching.com logo as our "brand" of geocaching. Since the term geocaching now describes the hobby, like baseball, we're happy with defining our brand through the logo.

When you put a lot of your spare time into something, you tend to get very protective of it. I'm sure that had a lot to do with my anger.

No biggie. I prefer direct questions. Creating your own biased history instead of confronting someone directly makes you a certain word that would be inappropriate for a public forum. Thanks for being direct.

Jeremy, I'm glad to see that you're giving direct answers to some of the questions that I've wondered about for a long time. One more, please: Why isn't Dave Ulmer mentioned in Geocaching - A Brief (!) History? It says that 'a container of goodies was hidden by a someone' and that 'Mike Teague was the first to find the container', but there's no mention of Ulmer being the inventor of the sport and the first cache hider.

No biggie. I prefer direct questions. Creating your own biased history instead of confronting someone directly makes you a certain word that would be inappropriate for a public forum. Thanks for being direct.

Jeremy, I'm glad to see that you're giving direct answers to some of the questions that I've wondered about for a long time. One more, please: Why isn't Dave Ulmer mentioned in Geocaching - A Brief (!) History? It says that 'a container of goodies was hidden by a someone' and that 'Mike Teague was the first to find the container', but there's no mention of Ulmer being the inventor of the sport and the first cache hider.

Maybe at the time that was written there was still some tension or something, and one or both parties opted not to add that in for whatever reason? Just a thought, not a fact...

BTW, I too find this information very interesting, Jeremy. It's nice to see that a lot of the hype is just... well... 'hype'. Kinda reminds me of the anti-approver (my cache was archived! :o ) threads where only one side is presented. Once more facts come to light, it seems to become a very different story.

Funny how that works, eh?

First, I want to give kudos to Jeremy for being forthright about answering some questions I've had.

About "the Buxley Incident," I see that as perfectly understandable given this new information about refusing to remove a waypoint. I thought it was dumb to continue to list caches that no longer exist. This for me made his site much less useful and relegated to a historical "that's nice" sort of thing. Not much good if I can't trust the data.

About Quinn's site and that nastiness, I'm glad you're being more forthcoming on that, as well. Most of us do sometimes have lapses in judgement and let our heart rule our actions instead of letting cooler heads prevail.

Personally, I'd rather see gc.com and Groundspeak et al. seem less like a geocaching dot com community and more of an inclusive geocaching community. There are many more elements to geocaching than just gc.com.

Hey, Jeremey! Back here in the cheap seats, I've got a question: What did you want to be when you were in elementary school, high school, and college? And at what point did you realize you were going to be CEO of such a great program?

Sorry for yelling, there weren't any microphones set up in the balcony. :o

Why isn't Dave Ulmer mentioned in Geocaching - A Brief (!) History? It says that 'a container of goodies was hidden by a someone' and that 'Mike Teague was the first to find the container', but there's no mention of Ulmer being the inventor of the sport and the first cache hider.

I already answered this question. However, since the dedication of the plaque at the first geocache, we have considered re-adding his name to the history page. The book we wrote contains the entire history as well as Dave Ulmer's name and Matt Stum's name (who initiall suggested geocaching as the new name).

Planet of the Apes

:o

Edit:Wrong URL

Interesting reading on the Ulmer issue.

I would make an analogy to automobiles and geocaching. Ford didn't invent the automobile but was the first to really mass market it to the general public.

Jeremy didn't invent geocaching but was the first to succesfully mass market it to the public.

This has been quite an educational thread.

Edited by Eric K

I agree, this is the most informative thread I've read in a long time. Last night I went through the gpsstash archives and it was pretty cool reading about some of the issues brought up in this thread, as well as the beginnings of the sport and this site.

I think it would be cool if you made this thread a sticky, and retitled it "Ask Jeremy". :o

--RuffRidr

few other articles of interest, if anyone's interested:

Investor's Business Daily, July 28, 2003 Monday, SECTION INTERNET & TECHNOLOGY; COMPUTERS MADE PLAIN; NATIONAL EDITION; Pg. A05, 844 words, A Chance Encounter With Geocaching World Global Hide-And-Seek, BY MICHAEL KREY

2. St. Petersburg Times, July 8, 2002, Monday, PT-TECH-GAME, 1086 words, Geocaching Helps Outdoor Players Hunt for Coordinates of Hidden Treasure, By Dave Gussow

3. GPS World, June 1, 2002, No. 6, Vol. 13; Pg. 72; ISSN: 1048-5104, 836 words, Cacheing in on GPS; Leading Edge., Luccio, Matteo

4. The Tribune, August 10, 2003, Sunday, SO-GEO-CACHING, 593 words, High-Tech Treasure Hunt-Like Game, Using GPS Technology, Is 'Caching' On, By Freddie Yap

5. The Associated Press State & Local Wire, July 9, 2003, Wednesday, BC cycle, Sports News, 790 words, A new age of hide-and-seek, By TIM KROHN, The Free Press, MANKATO, Minn.

6. The San Diego Union-Tribune, February 20, 2001, Tuesday, COMPUTER LINK;Pg. 6, 1555 words, Outdoor geekdom; 'Geocaching' catches on as a high-tech treasure hunt, Jennifer Davies; STAFF WRITER

7. Financial Times (London, England), March 27, 2004 Saturday, London Edition 1, FT WEEKEND OUTDOORS; Pg. 7, 778 words, The personalised manhunt: Geocaching is attracting a new breed of treasure hunters, writes David Wells, By DAVID WELLS

8. The Baltic Times, May 15, 2003, 954 words, HIGH-TECH HUNTING IN NEW GLOBAL GAME, Aleksei Gunter

9. Investor's Business Daily, July 2, 2001, A; Pg. 6, 736 words, GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEMS Careful Hunters, Geocachers Hit The Woods, By, Investor's Business Daily

10. Detroit Free Press, July 22, 2003, Tuesday, DE-GPS, 769 words, Geocaching Turns GPS into a Sport, By Ellen Creager

11. East Bay Express (California), January 22, 2003 Wednesday, News/Columns, 1388 words, High-Tech Hide and Seek -- for Adults Geocaching enthusiasts get back to nature with their cell phones, digicams, and satellite-positioning units., By Dave Gilson

12. San Jose Mercury News, August 16, 2002, Friday, SJ-GPS-GAME, 1215 words, Intrepid California Hobbyists Use GPS to Hunt 'Treasure', By Mike Antonucci

13. PR Newswire, June 6, 2003, Friday, FINANCIAL NEWS, 445 words, Geocaching.com Wins Prestigious People's Voice Webby Award; Site Honored with People's Voice Webby Award, SEATTLE, June 6

14. The Associated Press State & Local Wire, April 26, 2003, Saturday, BC cycle, Sports News, 909 words, High-tech twist on hide and seek bringing out more hikers, By MATT ELLIOTT, Tulsa World, TULSA, Okla.

15. The Associated Press State & Local Wire, April 25, 2003, Friday, BC cycle, Sports News, 909 words, High-tech twist on hide and seek bringing out more hikers, By MATT ELLIOTT, Tulsa World, TULSA, Okla.

16. The Associated Press State & Local Wire, April 23, 2003, Wednesday, BC cycle, Sports News, 909 words, High-tech twist on hide and seek bringing out more hikers, By MATT ELLIOTT, Tulsa World, TULSA, Okla.

17. The Associated Press State & Local Wire, September 30, 2003, Tuesday, BC cycle, State and Regional, 573 words, ILLINOIS STYLE: Geocaching becoming a popular suburban sport, By TONA KUNZ, (Arlington Heights) Daily Herald, BATAVIA, Ill.

18. The Associated Press State & Local Wire, October 1, 2003, Wednesday, BC cycle, State and Regional, 573 words, ILLINOIS STYLE: Geocaching becoming a popular suburban sport, By TONA KUNZ, (Arlington Heights) Daily Herald, BATAVIA, Ill.

19. PR Newswire, January 16, 2004, Friday, STATE AND REGIONAL NEWS, 417 words, Nevada's 'Dash for the Cache' Treasure Hunt Entices Geocache Enthusiasts, CARSON CITY, Nev., Jan. 16

20. The Miami Herald, August 10, 2003, Sunday, MI-GPS, 909 words, Tech Marks Spot for GPS-Aided Outdoor Adventure, By Beatrice E. Garcia

21. The Advocate (Baton Rouge, Louisiana), February 1, 2002, Friday, METRO EDITION, 892 words, Hide and Seek *** Geocaching gaining in popularity as more people discover fun of this high-tech scavenger hunt, TED GRIGGS

22. Des Moines Business Record, April 26, 2004, Vol. 22, No. 17; Pg. 1; ISSN: 10686681, 624378261, 1080 words, Treasure hunt for grown-ups, Gardyasz, Joe

23. The Orange County Register, September 8, 2003, Monday, OC-GPS, 1027 words, GPS Positions Itself Everywhere, By Tamara Chuang

24. The Orange County Register, September 9, 2003, Tuesday, OC-GPS-TECH, 1029 words, GPS Navigation Systems Are Now for More Than Just Cars, By Tamara Chuang

25. The Houston Chronicle, August 14, 2003, Thursday, HO-GEOCACHE, 1803 words, Katy, Texas-Area Residents Join International Phenomenon of Geocaching, By Melissa Wright

Documents 1 - 25 of 25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About LexisNexisTM | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy | Support Identifier

Copyright © 2004 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Protection of user copyright?  Correct?  A lesson learned from "the letterboxing debacle" I suppose.

You categorically reject this restriction is to prevent a competitive site from coming into existence and using the data?

No. Centralized listing service ensures the most current list of active caches. Bzzt. Decentralized results in stale data.

If I could prove to you that the majority of cachers are either:

1) already working off of significantly stale data that they printed off of your site, and that a few hours or even a day or two "more stale" by getting that data from a mirroring site would increase the staleness by only a negligible amount

OR

2) working off of stale data that they downloaded off of your site according to the imposed daily limits, and that if they had been able to download wihout limits from a slightly staler mirror site they would actually have fresher data overall

would you then allow intelligent mirroring of your site by regional groups or other listing services?

-Rick

I don't have a favorite ice cream. They have so many crazy flavors nowadays I like a bunch of different flavors. If we go brands, I'd say Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia or Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.

I thought nobody but me liked B&J's Cherry Garcia. There is a family veto on it here ^_^

few other articles of interest, if anyone's interested:

Investor's Business Daily, July 28, 2003 Monday, SECTION INTERNET & TECHNOLOGY; COMPUTERS MADE PLAIN; NATIONAL EDITION; Pg. A05, 844 words, A Chance Encounter With Geocaching World Global Hide-And-Seek, BY MICHAEL KREY

2. St. Petersburg Times, July 8, 2002, Monday, PT-TECH-GAME, 1086 words, Geocaching Helps Outdoor Players Hunt for Coordinates of Hidden Treasure, By Dave Gussow

3. GPS World, June 1, 2002, No. 6, Vol. 13; Pg. 72; ISSN: 1048-5104, 836 words, Cacheing in on GPS; Leading Edge., Luccio, Matteo

4. The Tribune, August 10, 2003, Sunday, SO-GEO-CACHING, 593 words, High-Tech Treasure Hunt-Like Game, Using GPS Technology, Is 'Caching' On, By Freddie Yap

5. The Associated Press State & Local Wire, July 9, 2003, Wednesday, BC cycle, Sports News, 790 words, A new age of hide-and-seek, By TIM KROHN, The Free Press, MANKATO, Minn.

6. The San Diego Union-Tribune, February 20, 2001, Tuesday, COMPUTER LINK;Pg. 6, 1555 words, Outdoor geekdom; 'Geocaching' catches on as a high-tech treasure hunt, Jennifer Davies; STAFF WRITER

7. Financial Times (London, England), March 27, 2004 Saturday, London Edition 1, FT WEEKEND OUTDOORS; Pg. 7, 778 words, The personalised manhunt: Geocaching is attracting a new breed of treasure hunters, writes David Wells, By DAVID WELLS

8. The Baltic Times, May 15, 2003, 954 words, HIGH-TECH HUNTING IN NEW GLOBAL GAME, Aleksei Gunter

9. Investor's Business Daily, July 2, 2001, A; Pg. 6, 736 words, GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEMS Careful Hunters, Geocachers Hit The Woods, By, Investor's Business Daily

10. Detroit Free Press, July 22, 2003, Tuesday, DE-GPS, 769 words, Geocaching Turns GPS into a Sport, By Ellen Creager

11. East Bay Express (California), January 22, 2003 Wednesday, News/Columns, 1388 words, High-Tech Hide and Seek -- for Adults Geocaching enthusiasts get back to nature with their cell phones, digicams, and satellite-positioning units., By Dave Gilson

12. San Jose Mercury News, August 16, 2002, Friday, SJ-GPS-GAME, 1215 words, Intrepid California Hobbyists Use GPS to Hunt 'Treasure', By Mike Antonucci

13. PR Newswire, June 6, 2003, Friday, FINANCIAL NEWS, 445 words, Geocaching.com Wins Prestigious People's Voice Webby Award; Site Honored with People's Voice Webby Award, SEATTLE, June 6

14. The Associated Press State & Local Wire, April 26, 2003, Saturday, BC cycle, Sports News, 909 words, High-tech twist on hide and seek bringing out more hikers, By MATT ELLIOTT, Tulsa World, TULSA, Okla.

15. The Associated Press State & Local Wire, April 25, 2003, Friday, BC cycle, Sports News, 909 words, High-tech twist on hide and seek bringing out more hikers, By MATT ELLIOTT, Tulsa World, TULSA, Okla.

16. The Associated Press State & Local Wire, April 23, 2003, Wednesday, BC cycle, Sports News, 909 words, High-tech twist on hide and seek bringing out more hikers, By MATT ELLIOTT, Tulsa World, TULSA, Okla.

17. The Associated Press State & Local Wire, September 30, 2003, Tuesday, BC cycle, State and Regional, 573 words, ILLINOIS STYLE: Geocaching becoming a popular suburban sport, By TONA KUNZ, (Arlington Heights) Daily Herald, BATAVIA, Ill.

18. The Associated Press State & Local Wire, October 1, 2003, Wednesday, BC cycle, State and Regional, 573 words, ILLINOIS STYLE: Geocaching becoming a popular suburban sport, By TONA KUNZ, (Arlington Heights) Daily Herald, BATAVIA, Ill.

19. PR Newswire, January 16, 2004, Friday, STATE AND REGIONAL NEWS, 417 words, Nevada's 'Dash for the Cache' Treasure Hunt Entices Geocache Enthusiasts, CARSON CITY, Nev., Jan. 16

20. The Miami Herald, August 10, 2003, Sunday, MI-GPS, 909 words, Tech Marks Spot for GPS-Aided Outdoor Adventure, By Beatrice E. Garcia

21. The Advocate (Baton Rouge, Louisiana), February 1, 2002, Friday, METRO EDITION, 892 words, Hide and Seek *** Geocaching gaining in popularity as more people discover fun of this high-tech scavenger hunt, TED GRIGGS

22. Des Moines Business Record, April 26, 2004, Vol. 22, No. 17; Pg. 1; ISSN: 10686681, 624378261, 1080 words, Treasure hunt for grown-ups, Gardyasz, Joe

23. The Orange County Register, September 8, 2003, Monday, OC-GPS, 1027 words, GPS Positions Itself Everywhere, By Tamara Chuang

24. The Orange County Register, September 9, 2003, Tuesday, OC-GPS-TECH, 1029 words, GPS Navigation Systems Are Now for More Than Just Cars, By Tamara Chuang

25. The Houston Chronicle, August 14, 2003, Thursday, HO-GEOCACHE, 1803 words, Katy, Texas-Area Residents Join International Phenomenon of Geocaching, By Melissa Wright

Documents 1 - 25 of 25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About LexisNexisTM | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy | Support Identifier

Copyright © 2004 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Hey, no articles in Swedish? ^_^

feel better? ^_^

Web Images Groups News Froogle more »

Advanced Search

Preferences

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 3,630 for swedish geocaching. (0.28 seconds)

The Official Geocaching Resource For Arizona by Team Snaptek

The Official Geocaching Resource For Arizona by Team Snaptek. ... AzGeocaching.com

is dedicated to the sport of Geocaching in the Arizona Area. ...

www.azgeocaching.com/ - 51k - Jul 21, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages

The Official Geocaching Resource For Arizona by Team Snaptek

... Site Official Geocaching Merchandise Buxley's Geocaching Maps - Arizona Dan Miller's

World Geocaching Stats Swedish Geocaching - World Stats Garmin Magellan ...

www.azgeocaching.com/activity.php - 69k - Cached - Similar pages

[ More results from www.azgeocaching.com ]

Letterboxing: Geocaching without the GPS

... Letterboxing: Geocaching without the GPS. ... Feedback. # re: Letterboxing: Geocaching

without the GPS 5/19/2004 8:19 AM Scott. Geocaching pops up again! ...

blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/ archive/2004/05/19/134938.aspx - 17k - Cached - Similar pages

Geocaching

What is Geocaching? Find out HERE News reports on Geocaching HERE. Home. ... Traditional

CacheGolden Fleece Found 16/07/04 @ 10:50am by Paul & Howard Swedish Chef. ...

homepages.picknowl.com.au/stargazer/geo.htm - 47k - Jul 21, 2004 - Cached - Similar pages

Groundspeak Forums -> Modification Reports Of Swedish Caches

... Geocaching Family Posts: 872 Joined: 10-August 03, I have written a note about

this matter on the Swedish forum at plattformen.se/cachingforum also... ...

forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=39071 - 101k - Cached - Similar pages

Groundspeak Forums -> New Number Of The Swedish E-zine

... New Number Of The Swedish E-zine. ... hedberg, Posted: Jun 14 2004, 12:40 PM. Quote Post.

Geocaching Family Posts: 872 Joined: 10-August 03, No 3 of the "Geocaching i ...

forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=73325 - 23k - Cached - Similar pages

[ More results from forums.Groundspeak.com ]

Recreation Outdoors Geocaching Personal_and_Team_Pages

... http://www.queenofheartscastle.com/geogadgets/ Geocaching with Kobdalis

View the hidden and found geocaches of this Swedish geocacher. ...

www.highway61.com/Top/Recreation/ Outdoors/Geocaching/Personal_and_Team_Pages - 17k - Cached - Similar pages

jasy Geocaching

... Contact me here. My collection of links about GPS and Geocaching: Some

of them in Swedish, some in English. Ongoing: The GGM project. ...

medlem.spray.se/jasy/ - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

WebRing: hub

... Art’s and Photo’s. The homepage is in Swedish (with a ... www.MegaHeks.NL - The

Geocaching SpoilerSite www.MegaHeks.NL - The Geocaching SpoilerSite Through ...

q.webring.com/hub?ring=ventureoutdoors - 17k - Cached - Similar pages

PhatNav Directory - Recreation/Outdoors/Geocaching ...

... found. Also includes some GPS utilitis. Kobdalis geocaching. View the

hidden and found geocaches of this Swedish geocacher. Moonrize. ...

www.phatnav.com/directory/Recreation/ Outdoors/Geocaching/Personal_and_Team_Pages.cat - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

Got another question for you Jeremy:

What ist the cooperation with the German site Cacheatlas about? They announce that they're officially supported by Groundspeak but what does it mean? I guess it's just some kind of a business agreement but that's just a guess ^_^

Do they get data from you via an interface? (I know there are a few people in Germany who are quite upset about the restrictions to get data from gc.com -- e.g. geocaching.de -- but in my these guys simply don't understand that traffic causes costs)

thanks

Philipp

Of course Jeremy is evil.

He is providing a service.

Hes is making some money.

He is having fun.

Having the last 2 at the same time is a sure indication of Evil. It is just plain wrong. :o

Remember what Catbert says: "Having fun at your job is just like stealing from the company."

How come I've never seen you and Bill Gates in the same place at the same time!?

How come Bill Gates never takes his glasses off, huh?

How come both you and Bill Gates wear red and blue underware (or so I've been told)?

And then there's that computer thing....

!

Why isn't Dave Ulmer mentioned in Geocaching - A Brief (!) History?  It says that 'a container of goodies was hidden by a someone' and that 'Mike Teague was the first to find the container', but there's no mention of Ulmer being the inventor of the sport and the first cache hider.

I already answered this question. However, since the dedication of the plaque at the first geocache, we have considered re-adding his name to the history page. The book we wrote contains the entire history as well as Dave Ulmer's name and Matt Stum's name (who initiall suggested geocaching as the new name).

I don't see an answer to my question there. You explained that he was banned from the forums. But leaving his name out of the history page seems like an example of 'creating your own biased history', which you quite rightly criticized.

Edited by Nylimb
Of course Jeremy is evil.

He is providing a service.

Hes is making some money.

He is having fun.

Having the last 2 at the same time is a sure indication of Evil.  It is just plain wrong.  :D

In that case, soon will someone called Linus start Geocachux, a free geocaching open source site for those who hate Jeremy "Bill Gates" Irish :o:D

Edited by hedberg
But leaving his name out of the history page seems like an example of 'creating your own biased history', which you quite rightly criticized.

Saying someone placed a cache outside Portland is not biased. It's just replacing a name for a pronoun.

Edited by Jeremy
It is the offices of Preston, Gates, and Ellis.  The Gates is Bill Sr.  One of the more prestigious law firms in Seattle.

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!

Who are you really Mr. Jeremy??

Don't hold your breath while waiting for an answer. I once asked him if micro soft was a nickname from high school. If this was true for the real Mr. Bill, the irony would be too much to bear. Oh, oh, now I'm thinking of micro cache...time to go. :o

But leaving his name out of the history page seems like an example of 'creating your own biased history', which you quite rightly criticized.

Saying someone placed a cache outside Portland is not biased. It's just replacing a name for a pronoun.

Of course it's biased. The history page mentions three people who were involved: the hider of the first cache, the finder of the first cache, and the website developer. The latter two are named, the first is just called 'someone'. Replacing one person's name by a pronoun while naming the other two is biased.

Furthermore, anyone who reads that page and notices the omission will have to look elsewhere to find out the facts. And the first place that shows up in a web search for 'geocaching history' is the page that was quoted at the beginning of this thread. So if you really object to bias in that page, then why force people to go looking for it?

Of course it's biased. The history page mentions three people who were involved: the hider of the first cache, the finder of the first cache, and the website developer. The latter two are named, the first is just called 'someone'. Replacing one person's name by a pronoun while naming the other two is biased.

A bit of googling in the various newsgroups will uncover a post from someone indicating that someone preferred not to be associated with geocaching (not necessarily gc.com, just geocaching as it was evolving at that time). Perhaps Jeremy was respecting that wish?

I have gathered from a subsequent newsgroup post that someone has moderated in that preference.

Jon