Garmin Quest

At least i like it much better than the 60C on my dashboard. The 60C being pretty tall keeps crashing off the dash with it's mount to the floor of the car. Also it blocks the view. The GPS V never was a problem on my Dash, and the new quest should be a little shorter. Also the Quest shold never be a problem when it's pluged into the cigarette lighter socket, since it should be able to charge the internal battery while driving, BUT the problem is that if i cannot replace the battery myself than that is a BIG problem for me. Hopefully i could just use a screw driver and replace it myself easily?

What is the fixation on the internal battery? My cell phone has been using the same battery for 2 years and hasn't had a problem. Rechargeable batterys today are much bettter than they were a few years ago. Your going to get several years out of a unit with a sealed in battery. You know your going to upgrade your GPS before that battery goes bad. I bought a foretrex 201 several months ago and am very happy with it. I could have bought the 101 but it was .3 inches thicker and I didn't want to go thicker.

What is the fixation on the internal battery?

Seriously?

If all you do are quick little trips it probably isn't an issue but what about backpacking, camping, anything extended where you're away from electricity???

It seems like most people, myself included, would rather have the power source a bit more user friendly. Being able to change batteries on the fly is a huge plus...being stuck out in the woods b/c your battery dies is a a bust.

What is the fixation on the internal battery? ... You know your going to upgrade your GPS before that battery goes bad.

Two main reasons:

1) My experience with internal rechargeables has been rather mixed. Some last for a few years while others die after only about one or at least lose much of their capacity by then. And I'm not at all sure I'd upgrade earlier. I bought my eMap almost 5 years ago and was initially looking at the Quest as the first upgrade of it until I saw the part about the internal Li+ cell. I'd expect my next GPS receiver to last at least as long as my eMap has.

2) The 20 hour life sounds pretty good but there are times when it won't be enough. It would be nice to be able to carry a spare replacement cell to cover those circumstances. That would also be good for the times the unit is inadvertently left on, has the backlight on unnoticed for awhile, or other event that runs down the battery earlier than expected.

Sealed batteries are stupid. Just thought I'd mention that.

But seriously, this GPS isn't really for going places without electricity. If you're doing a lot of hiking, camping, etc, then you should look at something else. Does this gps have portrait or landscape modes? (i doubt it or they'd show it off). If not, then that will be a negative. Can you imagine backpacking or hiking carrying this thing sideways? The antenna is even fixed somewhat.

I would guess that this isn't Garmin's upgrade to the V or they'd mention it. It's nothing like the V (which was good for both hiking and driving). An upgraded V should have garmin's geocaching mode since the V was one of the most desired units for geocaching.

This is just Garmin's mini color GPS for the car.

Another thing...

Even though Garmin advertises a 20 hour life span for the battery, it won't always be that high. You will get less and less life from each use of the GPS because the battery will be degrading constantly over time. It's a compounded problem.

Not only can you not replace the battery when it dies, but you also have to prepare for the fact that the unit won't run as long the next time you pull it from the charger.

Sealed batteries are probably the worst idea ever.

What is the fixation on the internal battery? My cell phone has been using the same battery for 2 years and hasn't had a problem. Rechargeable batterys today are much bettter than they were a few years ago. Your going to get several years out of a unit with a sealed in battery. You know your going to upgrade your GPS before that battery goes bad. I bought a foretrex 201 several months ago and am very happy with it. I could have bought the 101 but it was .3 inches thicker and I didn't want to go thicker.

Speak for yourself here! Who says we want to upgrade in a few years?! I don't like knowing that my GPS is in a constant state of death from the moment I buy the thing. THAT's why I and many other people DON't like sealed batteries! If I wan't my GPS to last 10 years, than with a normal AA/AAA GPS, it will last that long and still perform like brand new at the end!

Why can't people like you see this? Sealed batteries are like communism as far as I'm concerned... you have no control.