Weekend Caching

Jeremy

I just got back from an Agility Trial in Auburn so am looking for somebody to tell me the current scoop. It appears that the gaol is to met at Stevens Pass by 8:00AM. As of now I am leaning towards driving myself there where I will leave my vehicle and hitch a ride to the begining??? That way should Chester be a muddy mess at the end of the day he won't mess up somebody elses car. This also leaves me a direct vehicle home to entetain the in-laws for dinner. :blink:

I just got back from an Agility Trial in Auburn so am looking for somebody to tell me the current scoop. It appears that the gaol is to met at Stevens Pass by 8:00AM. As of now I am leaning towards driving myself there where I will leave my vehicle and hitch a ride to the begining??? That way should Chester be a muddy mess at the end of the day he won't mess up somebody elses car. This also leaves me a direct vehicle home to entetain the in-laws for dinner. :blink:

I'm game for that if you would be kind enough to drive me back to the TH with my pooch if I can't get other arrangments.

Hi

I know this is kind of last minute, but I would like to tag along if you all don't mind another body coming with. Here are the complications.

1) I am coming from Tacoma

2) Although I am on my computer now, I won't be again until late tonight (heading out on the water)

I would be driving up solo and can easily volunteer 6 extra seats in my Land Cruiser, if that helps at all.

I would be willing to meet just about anywhere it is convenient for anyone else, if you want to email me directly that would be great. My email is Pokerdude@comcast.net and I am Lance (Loo of LooAndRoo).

Or, if it works out for you, you can call me on my cell phone at 253-230-6346. I would love to be able to get out and enjoy a beautiful weekend and meet a few new geocaching friends, so I hope to hear from you all.

Lance

I sent you a message with my cell phone number. We probably want to take off before 7AM just because of the time it takes to get there. The earlier takeoff we can make the better.

Man, I hope you mean 7AM!

If you are leaving at 6AM I'll meet the later crowd at the P&R.

Oh, well. I was just thinking about the approximate time to trailhead of 1.5 hours, and that I should get to the P&R at that time so that folks had time to load up before leaving the P&R. I've since seen Jeremy suggesting a meeting time of 6:30 AM. I guess years of trying to get kids together to go somewhere has trained me to expect to take longer to do anything! :blink:

OK. I just put one of the two other seats into my van. This means it will seat 6 adults (driver + 5). That also makes it much easier for adults to get into and out of the rear seat, and leaves room for a dog or two, depending on their size.

Runhills, you made a comment about a muddy dog. Somehow I don't think this could be much of a problem. I mean, wait 5 minutes and it won't be mud anymore, will it? :blink:

As for dirtying up my van, well, I've had kids riding in it for years. I did clean it up quite a bit today, but I didn't have time to clean the carpet. So if it gets dirty it won't be that big of a deal as I intend to clean the carpet anyway.

Seth, what do you mean about "shade/no shade"?

OK. I just put one of the two other seats into my van. This means it will seat 6 adults (driver + 5). That also makes it much easier for adults to get into and out of the rear seat, and leaves room for a dog or two, depending on their size.

So as of right now, who do you expect to ride in your vanpool?

Runhills,

As of now, I have no idea! No one has attempted to "claim" a seat.

MarcusArelius seemed interested, but I don't know if that is 1 or 2 seats.

Seth and Adrian and ?? may be coming, but no word from them if they need/want a ride.

Pepper wrote that she would be coming, but again no word.

TotemLake - no word.

Basically at this point I don't know if I am driving or if I will try to get a ride with someone else. I guess it depends on who shows up.

Great planning, eh? :blink:

I'm offering the services of my jeep to shuttle between the two points and hit the gravel roads at the start of the hike. I can make room for up to 3 more adults a skinny kid, and another dog for the shuttle from the finish to the TH.

At the end of the hike, I would need a ride from the finish to the TH to pick up my jeep, at which point, I've offered to swing back and pick up RWW if he chooses to finish a couple miles short of the pass and take him back to his truck.

I still THINK that we are coming. It now probably depends on if I can get myself and the boys up and out the door on time.

We will have an FRS or two with us. We'll be on channel 2.

Here is the forecast if anyone is interested.

Any ideas yet about shade/no shade?

Well, mix of forest and open areas. The smithbrook end is mostly forest but opens when you get fairly close to Valhalla. The other way, the trail goes along the highwya for awhile so that part will be sunny. Then it curves into shade adn trees. Some meadows will be encountered along the way.

That hike was a lot of fun and a lot easier to do!

It was a pleasure meeting Jeremy's brother, Nate The Great, as well as Loo of LooandRoo!

NBJPoppa looked a lot the way I felt last August on the Snowlake Overlook and Gem Lake cache hike when he finished his hike. Hope you recover quickly!

Logs to come soon! First a cleanup and a meal ticket to punch. :(

Stay out till about 11pm. Saw international spae station go by (very bright) 3 other sats, and falling star, but no lights. I went in and cheched the web site and the aurora activity had really dropped. Oh, well.

Here's a nice pic of the sunspot. Sorry to muscle into a hiking thread.

sunspot_newton.jpg

Ok - getting this thread back OT. :blink:

I finally got the track edited onto Delorme 3D. This is the edited version getting all the satellite wander out (and apparently some loss of signal - the horror :blink:). The total mileage came to 8.1 miles.

Valhalla3dEdited.jpg

Interestingly, I lost satellite, but not in the area you expected, Moun10Bike. The first map has a block highlighting where I did lose it, the next map is the raw track as the signal came in and out.

ValhallaRawTrack.jpg

ValhallaRawTrackExpanded.jpg

Actually, that's exactly where I thought signal loss had occurred! Right after Mountain Meadow Majesty. I got the dreaded "beep" from my GPS at the same spot that you did and saw that signal wouldn't be regained very soon - all of the satellites not blocked by the mountains were in a straight line in the sky!

I'll try to post my updated map later.

Seeing tracks on topo maps are great. It really displays the trip well. I'd love to get a decent program for the some day. I'm thinking of mabe Nat'l Geo Wa. State.

Anyway, nice job. Now I can see where you guys were.

The first map was from Delorme Topo v3.0. I like it for the 3D it gives. I can rotate it and get a good feel for the terrain before I go into it.

The 2nd two maps were from MapSend.

I found it interesting MapSend showed the tunnel location but not the railroad and Delorme was vice verse.

Edited by TotemLake

Thanks everyone for the excellent hike! The idea to go 1 way made the trail especially enjoyable. Lots of great mountain scenery, and plenty of wild flowers.

I took a lot of footage during the trip. It will take me a bit of time to arrange it into a video you all can see.

Unfortunately I won't be able to do another hike this weekend, but that doesn't stop anyone else from arranging another hike. I plan to post another topic in the near future about an August hike.

Lake_Valhalla_s.jpg

Above is the small version of my updated map of the hike using my cleaned-up track data. Here are some links to the above and a larger version as well as the accompanying GPS data for anyone who wants it:

Large map of route

Small map of route

3D view of route

GPS data containing track and waypoints of junctions and trailheads:

I'm not sure when I will be able to get back out there on a hike, but after the last couple of weekends I sure hope it is soon! :blink:

Edited by Moun10Bike
Seeing tracks on topo maps are great. It really displays the trip well. I'd love to get a decent program for the some day. I'm thinking of mabe Nat'l Geo Wa. State.

Anyway, nice job. Now I can see where you guys were.

Yes, definitely get National Geographic TOPO! Washington. excellent software and user interface is definitely the best. More importantly the maps are quite detailed and accurate compared to Delorme and other brands. I've tried the others and own them, but never use them.

I just completed the video of the hike.

Large Video (8 Megs, WMV format)

Small Video (1 meg, WMV format)

I'll say now that the smaller video really doesn't do it justice. You can hardly make out the people in the video.

Dang... you need to make a commercial out of that. Nicely done. Looks like a great hike. Kinda brings home the idea of...

"It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end."

Well the hike is done!

Team IAG and Team SuperGenius went out today cause we were to tired Sunday to go out and play.

Oh My Gosh Jeremy your video is great and it does justice to the area.

To sore to log the caches so sore in fact even my fingers hurt.

Hope to make the next one in August.

Pepper

Well the hike is done!

Team IAG and Team SuperGenius went out today cause we were to tired Sunday to go out and play.

Oh My Gosh Jeremy your video is great and it does justice to the area.

To sore to log the caches so sore in fact even my fingers hurt.

Hope to make the next one in August.

Pepper

Yah we missed you guys Pepper. Was looking forward to seeing you folks join the awesome group that went up there.

Jeremy, that is a very beautiful video.

I wish that I could have gone on the hike, too. But our family had a huge family reunion that weekend.

Patudles is my Mother-in-Law, and I know that she was very tickled that yall went to her cache, and had a good time. :(

If you attach them to your log everyone can view them by visiting your gallery. They won't be lost in this thread, should it fall off the first page.

Besides, before you can post them here they have to be posted somewhere else. There is no way to upload pictures for a forum post, but you can link cache log pics from within forum posts.

Hey gang!

Thanks to NBJPoppa for emailing me the link to the hiking video from Valhalla! :huh:

That was way cool and looked like a blast. :) Well done. That is on my "TO DO" list.

Here is a picture video of "2nd Annual Colorado Geocachers Event" hosted by jjasks and many others'. Everybody had a good time but it is especially nice when you can look back and see pics or share them. :ph34r: I hope you enjoy.

Z