Weekend Caching

Jeremy

That's 8:30 hit the trail, right? If so, that sounds good to me. I would prefer to start at the Smith Brook Trailhead so that we do the shorter, steeper climb first thing and then the gradual downhill during the hotter parts of the day, but I'm not fussy. I just hope I can go!

Edited by Moun10Bike
Jeremy Posted on Jul 22 2004, 02:53 PM

8:30am ok? If so, we'll have to figure out who parks where. 

8:30 should be ok. How about we get a headcount and determine the need?

RightWingWacko

Jeremy

Moun10Bike

NBJPoppa

TotemLake

MarcusAurelius

Leatherman?

Criminal?

Seth! and Adrian

EraSeek (by stretcher) :o

Have I forgotten anybody?

Right Wing Wacko Posted on Jul 22 2004, 02:44 PM

(TotemLake @ Jul 22 2004, 12:23 PM)

Don't worry about being slow. I'm usually the one bringing up the rear. Just ask last week's group.

You were ahead of me!

I fairly sure I was that last to arrive at Waterslide. I of course knew better than to try the rest.

NBJPoppa, come along.... join us! I'll be glad to have someone lingering behind the pack with me

Yup - That first cache I was not the last one, but the next to the last one. :) After that, I was the rear. ;)

Edited by TotemLake

If possible, I would like to drive such that my car is at the far end of the trail (whichever way we end up going) and no one is dependent upon me for shuttling at the end. That way, if I get "the call" during the hike, I can boogie directly to my vehicle and take off. If no call comes, then I am happy to shuttle people in my SUV.

That's 8:30 hit the trail, right? If so, that sounds good to me. I would prefer to start at the Smith Brook Trailhead so that we do the shorter, steeper climb first thing and then the gradual downhill during the hotter parts of the day, but I'm not fussy. I just hope I can go!

My bad. I thought it was the otherway around. Shows what happens when you look at these things tired. I don't mind starting at the Trailhead first. That was my intent with my suggestion; was to get the climb out of the way then take it easy on the way down.

I think the current list is:

Jeremy and Nate the Great

Moun10Bike

NBJPoppa

TotemLake

MarcusAurelius

Seth! and Adrian

I think the only ? is Leatherman

We're doing the trip as Right Wing Wacko proposed, leaving from the trailhead right off 2 at 8:30. Before hand we'll need to park at least 3 vehicles (including Moun10bike's emergency vehicle) off FT 1590. If someone brings a van the drivers can all pack in a 4th vehicle back to the trailhead.

If the road isn't too rocky I can offer my brother's saturn as one of the vehicles. I'm still breaking in my Jetta. If there are enough SUVs we can go that route instead.

I think the current list is:

Jeremy and Nate the Great

Moun10Bike

NBJPoppa

TotemLake

MarcusAurelius

Seth! and Adrian

I think the only ? is Leatherman

We're doing the trip as Right Wing Wacko proposed, leaving from the trailhead right off 2 at 8:30. Before hand we'll need to park at least 3 vehicles (including Moun10bike's emergency vehicle) off FT 1590. If someone brings a van the drivers can all pack in a 4th vehicle back to the trailhead.

If the road isn't too rocky I can offer my brother's saturn as one of the vehicles. I'm still breaking in my Jetta. If there are enough SUVs we can go that route instead.

Actually my proposal was to leave from the Smith Brook Trailhead but I'll do it either way the group wants.

I'm thinking about going a bit early and checking out the shortcut. It appears it could cut off two miles at the bottom of the trail, coming out near the east end of the old Cascade Tunnel.

Now if we just knew someone with some Pack Horses ^_^

Being in not so great shape myself, but 'Workin on it' I like the idea of trying to do these type of hikes on a semi regular basis. One of these days you guys will pick a hike I can do with out needing an rescue chopper. I saw the pics from last Saturday and it makes me want to get out there and see some of that scenery for myself.

Okay, how does this sounds as a first stab at a schedule? I moved things a little earlier to take into account the shuttle time:

Sunday

8:00 AM All cars meet at Stevens Pass Trailhead

8:15 AM Shuttle cars depart Stevens Pass (my car and others stay here)

8:30 AM Arrive at "Waterlily Pond" and hunt cache

8:40 AM Depart "Waterlily Pond" and head for Smith Brook Trailhead

8:45 AM Arrive at Smith Brook Trailhead and begin hike

X:00 PM Finish hike at Stevens Pass, shuttle back to Smith Brook Trailhead

X:15 PM Arrive at Smith Brook Trailhead, head back to Stevens Pass

X:30 PM Arrive Stevens Pass, everyone in their proper vehicles, head home

Good plan. It allows us to arrange the shuttles when we get there.

After last weekend I decided to pick up some reference guides for northwest birds and flora. I'm also going to use this opportunity to learn about the different species of plants I tend to ignore while on the trail.

So 8 it is. I'll do my best to get up early on Sunday ^_^

Personally I'd like to see this weekly or biweekly. I enjoy the group hikes, and it's great exercise. This one seems to be evolving by comittee, and the location chosen by the hider.

Depending on the shape you're in, an 8 mile hike may be bad for you or not. Since I have no experience on this particular hike, maybe someone who has been to lake Valhalla can tell you how it is. Considering the name, however, I bet it's going to be relatively tough.

It is a moderate hike...not that hard, but if you haven't hiked in years it will be that much tougher. There are some steep parts but not that bad.But it is a beautiful area!!!!! So why not take part and go at your pace. Bring plenty water. I've found it very helpful to drink water before you get thirsty. I like to wear a bottle aorund my neck and sip every so often. This helps prevent cramping of legs and limits dehydration.

Okay guys, have fun! Just remember that you might want to leave less cars at Smithbrook or make sure you have enough trail passes. That end requires them.

Depending on the shape you're in, an 8 mile hike may be bad for you or not. Since I have no experience on this particular hike, maybe someone who has been to lake Valhalla can tell you how it is. Considering the name, however, I bet it's going to be relatively tough.

Maybe we should have a ladies only hike. I am so slow I don't like to hike with the guys but I do like hiking. I know a great hike to Lake Josephine that needs a cache put there and maybe put a cache at the meadows along the way. Beautiful hike a couple of steep parts and one narrow section along a rock slide area. Haven't hiked it since the early 80's. It is on the Mill Creek Rd off of Steven's Pass. On the downhill side going towards Wenatchee. I am game if there are any takers. It is 3 miles to Lake Josephine so it would be 6 miles round trip. Any takers? Maybe I should start a new thread for this one if anyone wants to go.

Good plan. It allows us to arrange the shuttles when we get there.

After last weekend I decided to pick up some reference guides for northwest birds and flora. I'm also going to use this opportunity to learn about the different species of plants I tend to ignore while on the trail.

So 8 it is. I'll do my best to get up early on Sunday ^_^

Agreed! See y'all there!

Since I have no experience on this particular hike, maybe someone who has been to lake Valhalla can tell you how it is. Considering the name, however, I bet it's going to be relatively tough.

I've gone in from Smithbrook road several times, and have taken my kids when they were 6-10 years old. The first part is a good uphill climb, but once you connect to the Crest Trail, it levels off until you get to the lake, then its downhill. If anyone wants to hide a Level 4 or 5 terrain cache, go on to the top of Lichtenberg Mountain (nearby) at nearly 6000 ft. elev. This internet site describes the hike as Strenuous, but the view of the Cascades is incredible, and you look down on Lakes Valhalla and Lichtenwasser.

Mountain Lichtenberg

Since I have no experience on this particular hike, maybe someone who has been to lake Valhalla can tell you how it is. Considering the name, however, I bet it's going to be relatively tough.

I've gone in from Smithbrook road several times, and have taken my kids when they were 6-10 years old. The first part is a good uphill climb, but once you connect to the Crest Trail, it levels off until you get to the lake, then its downhill. If anyone wants to hide a Level 4 or 5 terrain cache, go on to the top of Lichtenberg Mountain (nearby) at nearly 6000 ft. elev. This internet site describes the hike as Strenuous, but the view of the Cascades is incredible, and you look down on Lakes Valhalla and Lichtenwasser.

Mountain Lichtenberg

That's my goal...to bag Lich and perhaps put a box there if there isn't one there when I do do that.

So, um, it sounds to me as though everyone is expecting to meet at the trailhead rather than somewhere in town. Doesn't that mean 5-6 cars driving up there? I understand John's need to bring his own vehicle for the quick get-away, but it doesn't sound like a bright idea for me to bring my full-size van just for a shuttle between end-points of the hike. Worse is that I don't know where either end-point is! I thought it we carpooled to the area I could ride or drive with someone who knew where we were going. ^_^ Perhaps, though, we are too scattered for starting together anywhere but at the trailhead.

So, any idea how long it takes to get to the trailhead from Bothell if you drive the speed limit?

So, um, it sounds to me as though everyone is expecting to meet at the trailhead rather than somewhere in town. Doesn't that mean 5-6 cars driving up there? I understand John's need to bring his own vehicle for the quick get-away, but it doesn't sound like a bright idea for me to bring my full-size van just for a shuttle between end-points of the hike. Worse is that I don't know where either end-point is! I thought it we carpooled to the area I could ride or drive with someone who knew where we were going. ^_^ Perhaps, though, we are too scattered for starting together anywhere but at the trailhead.

So, any idea how long it takes to get to the trailhead from Bothell if you drive the speed limit?

Stevens Pass....approx. 1.5 hours give or take.

Smithbrook...more lke 2 hours and change. Last bit involves driving gravel road.

Worse is that I don't know where either end-point is!

[clip]

I posted some maps and GPS data in this post that should help you.

I agree that carpooling is a good idea. Everyone should take care of their own arrangements to get to Stevens Pass at 8:00 AM.

According to MapPoint, the drive from downtown Bothell to Stevens Pass takes 1 hour 21 minutes, and the drive from the Pass to Smith Brook Trailhead 12 minutes. I would likely pad both of those numbers.

It's hard to plan a carpool when we don't know where everyone is.

I'm coming from bellevue. if someone wants a ride between Bellevue and Stevens, let me know. I have room for 2 more.

I'm in Kirkland, specifically the Kingsgate/Juanita area. NBJPoppa, Jeremy and I could easily meet up at the P&R off of Exit 22 on I-405, The coordinates are N47°44.541', W122°11.283'.

Runhills, if you and I team up, we could easily shuttle our dogs so neither of us would miss out on the entire hike.

Hey gang,

I'm still planning to go on this with Adrian. We may also be joined by Trey who just returned from two weeks of hiking in Costa Rica. However, I have not told him about the early rise-and-shine!

Questions for the group: I'm trying to get sense of how Adrian will do on the hike. He's a good hiker but I don't want to bite off too much. (The uphill first, downhill last appeals to me.) Any estimates on how long this will take us? Any idea what this trail is like in terms of shade/no shade? The temps are forecast to only be in the 80's on Sunday, but a few hours in the sun could make it pretty toasty.

I sure appreciate the maps and such that M10B and RWW posted. Thanks, guys.

Lucyandrickie, if you decide to go, give me a holler. You can ride up with us in the big ol' Monster Truck. Don't let me forget shoes for Adrian.

I'm going to be there (provided I survive the Aberdeen cache run with with my pals) also my husband has not yet decided.

Good questions Seth! because I would like to bring along my little hikers also (who btw run circles around me).

Pepper and potentially Shane :D

Edit because I am forgetful. :o

Edited by Team SuperGenius

I accidentally hosed all of my MS products when I removed one of their demo's, but given what M10B and EGH gave, I'll say we still should look at 1.5 hours or so to the pass.

As for the little ones, we can always accomodate them for rest breaks. As a general guideline, expect about 2MPH overall average speed + restbreaks and a lunch break, 5-6 hours wouldn't be out of line, a little longer for some, a little shorter for others. The alleged advantage of the start point is there is supposed to be a shortcut back but I'm curious where it starts and comes out at?

Somebody that's done the trail before will have to answer up on the shade.

NBJPoppa, Jeremy and I could easily meet up at the P&R off of Exit 22 on I-405, The coordinates are N47°44.541', W122°11.283'.

What time should we meet up? Not sure how long it takes from the P&R to the trailhead.

Hey if we met up in Woodinville most of the eastside group would have to pass by there anyway. It wouldn't be a big deal to stop off and group up on the fly.

If NBJpoppa wanted to bring the big Van most of us could ride up together and chip in for gas. I could bring mine but it's all cleaned up for sale. If we need to be at the trail head 8-8:30 that means leaving Woodinville a little before 7AM.

Is there a park-n-ride there?

Oh and I have a NW Forest pass that I can bring.

Edited by MarcusArelius

For those that are not totally exhausted after the hike and would like to do a couple fairly easy caches on the way back home may I recommend a few other caches in the area:

In the Skykomish Area:

1. GCJXD6 - Lake Elizabeth on Money Creek

2. GCJXDT - Damon Mine

These two caches are roadside mountain caching at it's best..... that is if you have a high clearance vehicle or they have fixed that short streach of road. I had no problem getting my Stock Ford Ranger up there.

At Baring, near the King/Snohomish County Line

3. GCJETY - Barclay Lake Trail

This one is a short hike (about a mile) but it's almost completely flat all the way in and back out. Of course, I recommend going all the way to the lake, but it's not required to bag the cache.

Maybe we should have a ladies only hike. I am so slow I don't like to hike with the guys but I do like hiking. I know a great hike to Lake Josephine that needs a cache put there and maybe put a cache at the meadows along the way. Beautiful hike a couple of steep parts and one narrow section along a rock slide area. Haven't hiked it since the early 80's. It is on the Mill Creek Rd off of Steven's Pass. On the downhill side going towards Wenatchee. I am game if there are any takers. It is 3 miles to Lake Josephine so it would be 6 miles round trip. Any takers? Maybe I should start a new thread for this one if anyone wants to go.

I like the way you think! I am much slower than my male counterparts but do enjoy going. It's been many years since I have backpacked but it is so much fun! You could count me in (and another lady I just got involved) depending on the timing and the hike itself. (I have my only daughter getting married in a week, my parents and out of town guests are arriving tomorrow and after that...well, it's busy.) But, depending on the where and all, would like to give it a shot.

Maybe we should have a ladies only hike.  I am so slow I don't like to hike with the guys but I do like hiking.  I know a great hike to Lake Josephine that needs a cache put there and maybe put a cache at the meadows along the way.  Beautiful hike a couple of steep parts and one narrow section along a rock slide area.  Haven't hiked it since the early 80's.  It is on the Mill Creek Rd off of Steven's Pass. On the downhill side going towards Wenatchee. I am game if there are any takers.  It is 3 miles to Lake Josephine so it would be 6 miles round trip.  Any takers? Maybe I should start a new thread for this one if anyone wants to go.

Uh, maybe you should check into Girl Power. Our first trip out is tomorrow. We watched carefully to make sure the herd wasn't going where we planned, and they weren't, but dagnabit, somebody else beat us to the FTF, which we had, in very ladylike manner, agreed to claim as a group, no matter who's hand touched it first.

We can talk about things like refusing to buy shorts that fit, because you swear you're going to lose weight, and then you pass out on the hike because you're wearing levi's and maybe inappropriate shoes. If one of us drops, we've promised to waypoint the body and call for help.

I mean, it's nothing against the guys , but I have an immature brain and a middle-aged body, and nobody forgives you for flabby thighs quite like another woman, if she's of the kind variety. Girl Power IS kind, and strong, and will work our way up to whatever level of difficulty suits us.

A week from Saturday, I'm looking for girls (and what is so wrong with me that I talk about "girls" and "men"? Something demented there, but we don't have time here for deep psychological discussions. )

I want to hike up a hill, I'll have to go slowly, there will be an ammo box in my pack and I have no sensible clothes or shoes, and I'm running out of money, and just got a kitty who makes me wheeze because I'm so allergic to cats

BUT!!!! Any girl power who wants to be there, who wants to be first, who wants to see the incredible view......come 'on.

And screw it, if you're a guy who's kind and loving and non-critical, and willling to stop while I wheeze, come too. Just don't get to the top two hours before me and act all superior...we are looking for a meeting of souls and minds, not a competition.

KB,

who has had a long day planning tomorrow, and unfortunately has a long standing agreement to go out drinking with girlfriends tonight.

Ummm...why were the other three so adamant that I shouldn't be the driver?

The original Girl Power team comes from Sequim, Port Orchard, and Port Townsend. A ways away in space and time, but maybe not in attitude.

KB

Bumbling along......and loving having geo-friends....

Girl Power.. yeah! Sounds like a blast!

So who are the 'girls'?

Dang! How come there has to be so much water between us? :D

Gosh, you mean I could wear the shorts I have on tonight that won't button on the top? No one would notice my pasty white legs? With all the bumps and bruises from vacumming... well, okay from geocaching last weekend. :o

Anything with Mrs. B would be kick.

Speaking of kicks. Mrs. B don't forget to take your Motrin tomorrow after your night out with the girls. Remember what the TV commercial say's...... Motrin kicks ?#%!

GIRLS JUST WANNA HVE FU-UN! GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN! JUST WANNA...JUST WANNA! :D

Mr Wienerdog :huh:

Kidding.... just kidding!

Donna

Girl Power.. yeah!  Sounds like a blast!

So who are the 'girls'?

Dang! How come there has to be so much water between us?  :D

Gosh, you mean I could wear the shorts I have on tonight that won't button on the top? No one would notice my pasty white legs? With all the bumps and bruises from vacumming... well, okay from geocaching last weekend. :o

Anything with Mrs. B would be kick.

Speaking of kicks. Mrs. B don't forget to take your Motrin tomorrow after your night out with the girls. Remember what the TV commercial say's......  Motrin kicks ?#%!

GIRLS JUST WANNA HVE FU-UN! GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN! JUST WANNA...JUST WANNA!  :D

Mr Wienerdog  :huh:

Kidding.... just kidding! 

Donna

Mrs. B. should probably never post before, or after drinking, or probably any other time.

The kick a** girls (whoops, excuse me , the kick cache girls? What was our name?) will probably show up somewhere tomorrow, maybe on a webcam, maybe on a paramedics report, whatever.

Wienerdog, we would come pick you up ANYWHERE. Water is no problem. We all have floatie rings.

Next time.... ;o) And Pepper, too, I love her.

Am I going hiking in X minus 6 hours? I wonder why the other ladies decided I wouldn't be the driver?

A good weekend to all!

KB

bumbling along, as usual

G'night!

(And really? Bruises from vacuuming? You need to learn the silly sloth method of housekeeping, you're taking things way too seriously.)

Sorry, I was a bit busy yesterday making some preparations for this outing, and I need to do some more stuff today -- like getting some moleskin! My van is the size that when configured with bench seats would carry 4+3+3+2= 12 people. However it is configured to carry 7. Right now the back seat is in place (which holds 3 people, or 4 small kids), as are the front two captain's chairs -- one for the driver and the other to the driver's right. As I mentioned before I have two additional captain's chairs that can be installed right behind the front two chairs.

The area behind the back set isn't all that deep -- maybe a foot or so, but I used to pack suitcases and such back there. I've also put paper boxes (8x11.5 sheets, 10 reams/box) there as well, though I cannot remember if they fit the long way.

I thought I would bring along a large ice chest to keep some water and/or pop in, and possibly some food as well. I don't know if people tend to lunch on the trail, or after it is all over.

So, the question I have is: how many folks would like to ride in my van? I would like a head count so I know whether or not to put the additional chairs in. Of course, I could put in a single chair, too.

The advantage of not putting both chairs in is that it is easier to get into and out of the back seat. In fact, when we got the van one of the chairs was not installed. I suppose in that mode we could carry a dog (or two) in the "open" area.

As for the timing, well, it seems to me that we ought to leave the Park & Ride at about 6 AM. Totemlake, I presume the one you mean is where Pepper's cache "SG #31 - Forever Green - TB Exchange too!" is located. I "ran into" Right Wing Wacko there, but I know that would be quite a drive for him to meet us there. (Were he interested in doing so.) This brings up a second issue, which has to do with the additional caches that RWW suggested. If the van riders were agreed I wouldn't mind doing those, but I don't have my heart set on it.

Whew! So many questions! :blink:

Totemlake, I presume the one you mean is where Pepper's cache "SG #31 - Forever Green - TB Exchange too!" is located. I "ran into" Right Wing Wacko there, but I know that would be quite a drive for him to meet us there. (Were he interested in doing so.) This brings up a second issue, which has to do with the additional caches that RWW suggested. If the van riders were agreed I wouldn't mind doing those, but I don't have my heart set on it.

Whew! So many questions! :blink:

The P&R I'm suggesting is not the Totem Lake exchange.

Going North, you get off of I-405 Exit 22, 160th St. Exit. Turn left, go over the bridge, the P&R is on the left just past the light.

Going South, you get off of I-405 Exit 22, 160th St. Exit. Turn Right and immediately to your left, is the P&R.

Coordinates for those whom want to follow the GPS:

N47°44.541', W122°11.283'

These coordinates are slightly north of this starred location.

This is the location of the first proposed tent city in Bothell, where the Freeway Cache was archive. There is a Shell and Chevron service station on the East side of the bridge.

It makes for a fast unconfused hop off and on the freeway.

Hi

I know this is kind of last minute, but I would like to tag along if you all don't mind another body coming with. Here are the complications.

1) I am coming from Tacoma

2) Although I am on my computer now, I won't be again until late tonight (heading out on the water)

I would be driving up solo and can easily volunteer 6 extra seats in my Land Cruiser, if that helps at all.

I would be willing to meet just about anywhere it is convenient for anyone else, if you want to email me directly that would be great. My email is Pokerdude@comcast.net and I am Lance (Loo of LooAndRoo).

Or, if it works out for you, you can call me on my cell phone at 253-230-6346. I would love to be able to get out and enjoy a beautiful weekend and meet a few new geocaching friends, so I hope to hear from you all.

Lance

As for the timing, well, it seems to me that we ought to leave the Park & Ride at about 6 AM. Totemlake, I presume the one you mean is where Pepper's cache "SG #31 - Forever Green - TB Exchange too!" is located. I "ran into" Right Wing Wacko there, but I know that would be quite a drive for him to meet us there. (Were he interested in doing so.) This brings up a second issue, which has to do with the additional caches that RWW suggested. If the van riders were agreed I wouldn't mind doing those, but I don't have my heart set on it.

I'll be heading directly up to Stevens Pass from my house.

I live just north of Highway 2. It's right around 50 miles from my house to the summit. It just doesn't seem right to drive 25 miles south to meet at the park and ride which is even further away from the pass :blink:

I'll see everyone there.

So, the question I have is: how many folks would like to ride in my van? I would like a head count so I know whether or not to put the additional chairs in.

As for the timing, well, it seems to me that we ought to leave the Park & Ride at about 6 AM. ...

Man, I hope you mean 7AM!

If you are leaving at 6AM I'll meet the later crowd at the P&R.