Pocket Pc (not Palm) And Gpsr

Wild Thing

I've been reading forums in order to learn as much as possible about geo-caching, my newest addiction. I've particularly found topics on paperless geo-caching (this topic, for instance) fascinating.

However, it seems that the best software available is for the Palm OS and not Windows CE. Here is the complete listings of my pertinent systems: HP desktop computer running Windows XP Home v.6, Garmin Vista, HP iPAQ 2215 running Windows CE 4.20.

Recommendations, please, on software that will enable most efficient use of my pocket PC and GPSr? (I'm not a premium member yet because I want to make sure that my high level of interest continues. :blink: ) However, I expect to take the plunge soon.

Even better: if you feel comfortable coaching me through this technical chaos, I would be most grateful for the help.

Thank you!!!

I use GPS Sonar on my Toshiba E740. And GSAK on my laptop.

Check out the site forr GPX Sonar and it will show you some of the information about it.

You can also go Here

this will give some more information and compare some different applications.

Hope this Helps, I'll be happy to help you in any way that I can. Feel free to email me if you like. I started off using a Palm for paperless caching and moved to the Pocket PC. So I have some experience with each.

:blink:

John

I have a Vista and iPaq 2215. I have a cable from The Supply Net. Cable plugs into the car lighter plug and provides power to both the Vista so it can stay on with the backlight with no drain on the batteries while charging the 2215 at the same time while the 2215 backlight stay on fully. Of course the Vista NMEA signal transmits to the 2215 to give me position on my Mapopolis autonavigation program loaded on the PPC. The cable is $60. I'm very satisfied with the cable. Mapopolis is 80-100 depending on whether you buy the CD or a licnese to download (Cheaper). Mapopolis falls down a little on long trips but within couties it's great. The maps are accurate and up to date. And the display and voice prompts ("Turn left at main street in 560 feet") make using my Vista's road maps obsolete. I basicaly use the Vista in the woods only since getting the 2215 and Mapopolis.

I use GSAK and GPXSONAR for paperless caching. GSAK is $15 courtesy fee and SOnar is free for now although I think I sent ten bucks in gratitude. You need to become a Premium member to take full advantage of GSAK and GPXSONAR for paperless caching so that the web pages are aailable on your 2215.

I also have a discrete Fortuna Pocket X-track GPS about 135.00 now that slips into the CF slot of the 2215 for independent GPS signa;l. The Xtrack comes with a second high sensitive receiver for better reception under heavy foliage. The regular setting is the same as the Vista and fine for road use. If you're gpoing to get a discrete GPS for the 2215's CF slot, I wouldn't bother with the combo cable. Just get the car lighter charging cable and keep your Vista in your pocket until you get into the woods.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any other quesitons.

Alan

Edited by Alan2

GPXSonar is a must have for a PPC. You can see everything on the cache page as it is on the geocaching.com page except for photos. You even see the last 5 logs. You could d/l the photos individually but I usually don't bother. It even downloads the hints but they are "hidden". Just highlight the hint area if you need them. You can datestamp your find/DNF/note. It even exports the caches to MS Streets & Trips. The only feature I wish it had would be to automatically upload my find/DNF/note to the cache page on geocaching.com.

As for my PC, I use EasyGPS to transfer from my PC to my PPC. Many people will swear by GSAK but I haven't used it so have no opinion on it.

I don't connect my PPC and GPSr by cable. I use the car power adapter for the GPSr until I park and then just detach it and run on batteries.

I have a Vista and iPaq 2215. I have a cable from The Supply Net. Cable plugs into the car lighter plug and provides power to both the Vista so it can stay on with the backlight with no drain on the batteries while charging the 2215 at the same time while the 2215 backlight stay on fully. Of course the Vista NMEA signal transmits to the 2215 to give me position on my Mapopolis autonavigation program loaded on the PPC. The cable is $60. I'm very satisfied with the cable. Mapopolis is 80-100 depending on whether you buy the CD or a licnese to download (Cheaper). Mapopolis falls down a little on long trips but within couties it's great. The maps are accurate and up to date. And the display and voice prompts ("Turn left at main street in 560 feet") make using my Vista's road maps obsolete. I basicaly use the Vista in the woods only since getting the 2215 and Mapopolis.

I use GSAK and GPXSONAR for paperless caching. GSAK is $15 courtesy fee and SOnar is free for now although I think I sent ten bucks in gratitude. You need to become a Premium member to take full advantage of GSAK and GPXSONAR for paperless caching so that the web pages are aailable on your 2215.

I also have a discrete Fortuna Pocket X-track GPS about 135.00 now that slips into the CF slot of the 2215 for independent GPS signa;l. The Xtrack comes with a second high sensitive receiver for better reception under heavy foliage. The regular setting is the same as the Vista and fine for road use. If you're gpoing to get a discrete GPS for the 2215's CF slot, I wouldn't bother with the combo cable. Just get the car lighter charging cable and keep your Vista in your pocket until you get into the woods.

Good luck. Let me know if you have any other quesitons.

Alan

Oh, I forgot to mention. with Mapopolis, you can create maplet (GPXTOMAPLETS) another free program. Ten, while you're driving around using Mapopolis's autonavigation maps, you see little red circles which are the caches. Click on it for the name, D/T etc and then hit Route To and auto-navigate to the cache. Very neat.